Is any one really happy here?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Off the cuff one can classify sin however they want. The basis of the fact all of sinned - separates us from God. No matter who ...

Actually it is not I who have the essentials - they are what God put in place. Agree with them or deny them all that you want … they come from God's word.

No they are what you put in place via your understanding.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I've seen those who jump into a discussion in an antagonistic manner or one posting nothin but blah blah blah are unable to give a reasonable response let alone an apologetic argument. I've got a feeling this forum is full of non-believers who are more out here to cause dissension more so than to actually have a coherent conversation.

Hence, the old saying "keep your friends close,, and your enemies closer". I say, the people who you think are your "friends", or "fellow saints", are the ones you should be paying closer attention to.

In general, having to defend one's own positions is a lot harder than simply trying to force others to defend theirs. Hard to find people that will fully engage you in a discussion without eventually getting all upset, and I think that has a lot to do with spiritual maturity.

God bless, btw. Good to see you still around.

Yeah, I've been lurking in the shadows on and off, and finally decided to make a comeback, for now at least. This website has gotten twice as hostile since the last time I was here a while back, and I see plenty of the members I remember left because of it.

kc_hhsl

Feb 23, 2020
NE Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they are what you put in place via your understanding.

You can believe what you want.

If you can find another understanding of verses like: Romans 10:9, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Then believe as you choose.

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In general, having to defend one's own positions is a lot harder than simply trying to force others to defend theirs. Hard to find people that will fully engage you in a discussion without eventually getting all upset, and I think that has a lot to do with spiritual maturity.

God bless, btw. Good to see you still around.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hidden In Him".
I really like your easy going attitude.

For me, I have no problem with explaining my faith and standing up for it.
My problem is, and I think will continue to be, is simply discussing the differences of where we are and still show "Love" for each other.

Out of all the forums I have belonged to, I have found a wonderful friend in "England", and we send "Private messages" back and forth over "THE POND", and even though we have differences, we have decided to share those in "LOVING" discussions .

It's extremely wonderful after so much hatefulness and viciousness.

God bless you for your post here.
My name is OLIGOS

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hidden In Him".
I really like your easy going attitude.

For me, I have no problem with explaining my faith and standing up for it.
My problem is, and I think will continue to be, is simply discussing the differences of where we are and still show "Love" for each other.

Out of all the forums I have belonged to, I have found a wonderful friend in "England", and we send "Private messages" back and forth over "THE POND", and even though we have differences, we have decided to share those in "LOVING" discussions .

It's extremely wonderful after so much hatefulness and viciousness.

God bless you for your post here.
My name is OLIGOS

Wonderful is the same word I was going to use. Those are the ones you hold on to. There are actually several good ones on here that are like that, only you have to wade through all the mess to be able to discuss things only with them. But yeah, I have had friends on forums that I completely disagreed with on both political and spiritual issues, and yet we always found a way to just exchange views without it getting confrontational.

Btw, many seem to think I'm a little more easy going than I actually am. I was thinking after I posted you that I needed to acknowledge that sometimes I lose my patience with people too. But at least now it usually takes about 5-10 pages before it can happen. Before it could only take one, LoL.

Like I said, maturity.

Good to see you have stuck around here. When I first read the OP I thought, "Uh oh, another one that might not survive."

God bless, and I hope you stay a member for a good while. We can use all the good ones we can get. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasoned by Grace

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off you are the one who jumped into the thread saying you were astounded …

And if my posting four or five biblical points in a response is viewed as the Spanish Inquisition … well I truly do feel sorry for you about.

As for convincing me - you are wrong. If you can show me in the Bible where I am wrong in what I am saying I have no issue changing my thought process. Can you say the same?
If people can show me where I'm wrong, I've been known to thank them for it sometimes.

Take one of your points. You said Jesus lay in the earth three days. I agree with that; but I wonder if you really believe it yourself. Few Christians really believe that. They say they do, but then they say he was buried late Friday afternoon and resurrected on Sunday morning -- about a day and a half. Then they start a fancy dance trying to explain how three days and three nights doesn't mean three days and three nights. Still I wouldn't judge them for having a different opinion from me. I don't think they're going to hell for it.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
No me can't
i might suggest that you and the other Romans here start a forum? Tbh id love to see a Catholic subforum here, dunno if that will ever happen though, but i say this bc when boundary stones are respected, even professing believers are (a bit) more likely to
I am not Catholic, I am a Liturgical Christian whom belongs to the Charismatic Episcopal Church.
no offense but im not sure the distinction is going to be found by most Protestants, who after all have their own tree next to their altars, yeh? Death, More Abundantly is still the goal, is it not? No pope though, i take it? Interesting!
liturgy, hmm

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi folks :)
The reason I ask is because I have only been here a little over a week and was nicely welcomed, but shortly after that at least one welcomer who really post's a lot here,
turned on me and attacked me pretty harshly, and then a woman here did the same thing. Hey , I've only been here a week and consider myself a pretty, friendly guy, and pretty happy.
I ended up using the "IGNORE Feature" and that helped a lot.

But boy,after reading other posts and topics and how people go at it with each other, with NO LOVE INTENDED, It feels like I'm on one of my other Non-Christian forums, where people like to tear into each other brutally, with no intentions but to destroy their perceived foes..
I thought there was supposed to be a difference :eek:
I came here to enjoy sharing in Christ's word, and sharing in different opinions and different perspectives, but I'm wondering how to do that now.

I'm not a fighter and wouldn't think I should need THICK SKIN to be here, but it's almost like people come here to be "GLADIATORS" to fight in the arena of Christian warfare.

I didn't come here to "SURVIVE", but hoped to THRIVE, but maybe that isn't the point here.

Maybe someone here can help me out, and give me some advise - like maybe ...run for your life:).
red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

My name is OLIGOS
Forums are designed to test our beliefs.

Think of it that way and it will be fun.

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonderful is the same word I was going to use. Those are the ones you hold on to. There are actually several good ones on here that are like that, only you have to wade through all the mess to be able to discuss things only with them. But yeah, I have had friends on forums that I completely disagreed with on both political and spiritual issues, and yet we always found a way to just exchange views without it getting confrontational.

Btw, many seem to think I'm a little more easy going than I actually am. I was thinking after I posted you that I needed to acknowledge that sometimes I lose my patience with people too. But at least now it usually takes about 5-10 pages before it can happen. Before it could only take one, LoL.

Like I said, maturity.

Good to see you have stuck around here. When I first read the OP I thought, "Uh oh, another one that might not survive."

God bless, and I hope you stay a member for a good while. We can use all the good ones we can get. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forums are designed to test our beliefs.

Think of it that way and it will be fun.[/QUOTE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the encouragement "HIDDEN IN HIM" and "TRUTHER".
I've only been here a few weeks, and then backed away for a little while.
I'm starting over with a new perspective and an even better attitude.

What I learned through several forums and peoples bad attitudes, unfortunately even mine a few times, was a wonderful lesson that will help me moving forward.
I was praying and feeling frustrated about the "WILD, WILD, WEST MENTALITY" of forums I have Joined.
The Holy Spirit spoke to me and gave me a new vision for being here.

He said," I have nothing to defend about where I am in my own faith, I was fine - it was defending the "TRUTH" of GODS word from scripture I was to defend and contend for as an "apologist" I was called to be.

I felt so relieved, and felt a new peace about being here, and still feel it.
THAT"S A BIG DIFFERENCE.

God bless both of you for your words.
My name is OLIGOS

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the encouragement "HIDDEN IN HIM" and "TRUTHER".
I've only been here a few weeks, and then backed away for a little while.
I'm starting over with a new perspective and an even better attitude.

What I learned through several forums and peoples bad attitudes, unfortunately even mine a few times, was a wonderful lesson that will help me moving forward.
I was praying and feeling frustrated about the "WILD, WILD, WEST MENTALITY" of forums I have Joined.
The Holy Spirit spoke to me and gave me a new vision for being here.

He said," I have nothing to defend about where I am in my own faith, I was fine - it was defending the "TRUTH" of GODS word from scripture I was to defend and contend for as an "apologist" I was called to be.

I felt so relieved, and felt a new peace about being here, and still feel it.
THAT"S A BIG DIFFERENCE.

God bless both of you for your words.
My name is OLIGOS

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Marks and Hidden In Him for your LIKES.

It's a shame I see so little Joy here, when we have been given so much, and have an abundance to look forward to in this life and the next.

As the years pass, may we find more unity and contentment in all the Grace and Mercy bestowed upon us, and may there be far less dissention,
and much more love as we grow in His example and share in His word.

God bless you all as you grow in His Grace and Mercy
My name is OLIGOS

Reactions: GTW27

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Marks and Hidden In Him for your LIKES.

It's a shame I see so little Joy here, when we have been given so much, and have an abundance to look forward to in this life and the next.

As the years pass, may we find more unity and contentment in all the Grace and Mercy bestowed upon us, and may there be far less dissention,
and much more love as we grow in His example and share in His word.

God bless you all as you grow in His Grace and Mercy
My name is OLIGOS

Blessings in Christ Jesus! I am one that walks in the joy of The Lord. The further we walk on this journey, the more joy and peace we have for it is less of us and more of Him just as promised. "I am fine" are the words that stuck out to me. This is all that matters. When they beat us up, and insult us, and speak all matter of evil against us, He is there to comfort us, and just with a few words, lifts us back up. He is ever so faithful to those that love Him. Pay them no mind, for truly, truly, they know not what they do!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can believe what you want.

If you can find another understanding of verses like: Romans 10:9, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Then believe as you choose.

Never said I duidn't believe that I just don't believe as you do. Are you trying to say I am and ohters are evil because I do not think like you?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i might suggest that you and the other Romans here start a forum? Tbh id love to see a Catholic subforum here, dunno if that will ever happen though, but i say this bc when boundary stones are respected, even professing believers are (a bit) more likely to

no offense but im not sure the distinction is going to be found by most Protestants, who after all have their own tree next to their altars, yeh? Death, More Abundantly is still the goal, is it not? No pope though, i take it? Interesting!
liturgy, hmm

I am sorry I may have to be to put you on ignore until you understand I am not Catholic

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi folks :)
The reason I ask is because I have only been here a little over a week and was nicely welcomed, but shortly after that at least one welcomer who really post's a lot here,
turned on me and attacked me pretty harshly, and then a woman here did the same thing. Hey , I've only been here a week and consider myself a pretty, friendly guy, and pretty happy.
I ended up using the "IGNORE Feature" and that helped a lot.

But boy,after reading other posts and topics and how people go at it with each other, with NO LOVE INTENDED, It feels like I'm on one of my other Non-Christian forums, where people like to tear into each other brutally, with no intentions but to destroy their perceived foes..
I thought there was supposed to be a difference :eek:
I came here to enjoy sharing in Christ's word, and sharing in different opinions and different perspectives, but I'm wondering how to do that now.

I'm not a fighter and wouldn't think I should need THICK SKIN to be here, but it's almost like people come here to be "GLADIATORS" to fight in the arena of Christian warfare.

I didn't come here to "SURVIVE", but hoped to THRIVE, but maybe that isn't the point here.

Maybe someone here can help me out, and give me some advise - like maybe ...run for your life:).
red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

My name is OLIGOS
The key to counter attacks is to be assertive and not defensive.
You can agree in principle with anyone without having to change your behaviour or your views. This is called "fogging" where you just agree with the person. It is hard to attack someone who agrees with you!

A Christian pastor was imprisoned by Communist authorities who tried to break him. But he knew where he stood with Christ, and every accusation they put to him about his shortcomings and failures he agreed with them, because he knew he was a sinner and nothing at all, and that he is saved by God's grace alone. In the end they couldn't break him and finally let him go.

The next strategy is called negative enquiry. Example if someone says they don't like the colour of my shirt, I ask, "What is it about my shirt that makes you not like it?" The principle is that anyone who criticises you has to justify their criticism, and you can demand that of them instead of having to defend yourself against it.

When all else fails, you have the right to say, "I don't care". I used that in a thread where I was repeatedly attacked by an atheist. I tried agreeing with him and negative enquiry, but he kept on at me. So in the end I said "I don't care" and he stopped posting any further stuff at me.

A good book that that sets out these principles excellently is "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" by Manuel J Smith. This is a study on assertiveness for the people you care about.

Reactions: Giuliano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus! I am one that walks in the joy of The Lord. The further we walk on this journey, the more joy and peace we have for it is less of us and more of Him just as promised. "I am fine" are the words that stuck out to me. This is all that matters. When they beat us up, and insult us, and speak all matter of evil against us, He is there to comfort us, and just with a few words, lifts us back up. He is ever so faithful to those that love Him. Pay them no mind, for truly, truly, they know not what they do!
So true! Thank you!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The key to counter attacks is to be assertive and not defensive.
You can agree in principle with anyone without having to change your behaviour or your views. This is called "fogging" where you just agree with the person. It is hard to attack someone who agrees with you!

A Christian pastor was imprisoned by Communist authorities who tried to break him. But he knew where he stood with Christ, and every accusation they put to him about his shortcomings and failures he agreed with them, because he knew he was a sinner and nothing at all, and that he is saved by God's grace alone. In the end they couldn't break him and finally let him go.

The next strategy is called negative enquiry. Example if someone says they don't like the colour of my shirt, I ask, "What is it about my shirt that makes you not like it?" The principle is that anyone who criticises you has to justify their criticism, and you can demand that of them instead of having to defend yourself against it.

When all else fails, you have the right to say, "I don't care". I used that in a thread where I was repeatedly attacked by an atheist. I tried agreeing with him and negative enquiry, but he kept on at me. So in the end I said "I don't care" and he stopped posting any further stuff at me.

A good book that that sets out these principles excellently is "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" by Manuel J Smith. This is a study on assertiveness for the people you care about.
Hi Paul,

Good thoughts!

Some people seem particularly adverse to backing up their criticism, or even their assertions. And it's so much quicker to string together a long and ridiculous argument than it is to deconstruct it so show the error.

Much love!
Mark

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Paul,

Good thoughts!

Some people seem particularly adverse to backing up their criticism, or even their assertions. And it's so much quicker to string together a long and ridiculous argument than it is to deconstruct it so show the error.

Much love!
Mark
People who attack or criticise are out to manipulate. Requiring them to justify their criticism causes them to stop manipulating and give their real reasons.

For example, if someone said to me as I was about the cross the road, "Don't be stupid! Look before you cross" in a very angry sounding voice (parents often speak like this to their children in similar circumstances), I could reply (after looking and crossing of course!), "What was it about me crossing the road without looking that make me stupid?" If their concern was real, they might reply, "I felt afraid that you would get hit by an on-coming car". In this they are expressing their real feelings of being afraid for my safety, rather than thinking I am inherently stupid. Then you can agree with them with "positive assertion" by saying, "Yes, it would be totally, absolutely and utterly STUPID of me to cross the road without looking!"

If you want to be assertive to a person you don't have or want to have a relationship with in any way, you could read Wayne Dyer's book "Pulling Your Own Strings". He gives some very funny examples of how to be assertive to store clerks and other jerks who want to make your life complicated and difficult. His mission statement is: "All clerks are jerks".

Reactions: marks

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

liturgy, hmm
I found that I could set my clock at each stage of the liturgical service when I joined an Anglican church. But when I got to know the people who went there, I found that they were just as mad as I was! When the Curate came to visit, he told my wife and me that after three weeks of fellowshipping with them, I would be as mad as they are. He was right! I found the Anglican Charismatics to be quite different from Pentecostals. They radiated love and joy and anything like Kundalini manifestation was totally absent. When visiting a small town, I went to an actual Charismatic Anglican church. I found it no different to the Baptist churches I fellowshiped with in later years.