Is baptismal regeneration…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's because he simply doesn't understand it.
This?

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Just baffling, huh?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This?

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Just baffling, huh?
Nope – not when you understand the CONTEXT of Scripture.

Scriptural cherry-pickers like YOU believe that Peter is telling the crowd that they need to be Baptized in Jesus’s name only.
But, those of us who actually understand Scripture know that when read in CONTEXT with Jesus’s “Great Commission” in Matt. 28:19-20, Peter is talking about the Baptism OF Jesus, which is in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said:
Matt. 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

I have repeatedly shown you that Greek scholars OVWERWHELMINGLY render this verse as “by the AUTHORITY of”.

“In the name of” meaning:
Macmillan Dictionary
1. representing someone or something
2. using the authority given by someone or something
Collins Dictionary
1. in appeal or reference to
2. by the authority of; as the representative of

Idioms.TheReferenceDictionary.com
1. Based on the authority of someone or something. We proclaim these things in the name of God. In the name of King John, I command you to halt.
2. With someone or something as a basis, reason, or motivation.
Thesaurus.com
- through - at the hand of
- supported by - through the agency of
- via - with
- through the medium of

- under the aegis of
- with the assistance of
According to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange/:
Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding: Old English nama, noma "name, REPUTATION," from Proto-Germanic *namon
English phrase in the name of simply asserts the REPUTATION and AUTHORITY of another person.
English Reports Annotated - Pages 1505-2672, 1505, page 2048

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope – not when you understand the CONTEXT of Scripture.

Scriptural cherry-pickers like YOU believe that Peter is telling the crowd that they need to be Baptized in Jesus’s name only.
But, those of us who actually understand Scripture know that when read in CONTEXT with Jesus’s “Great Commission” in Matt. 28:19-20, Peter is talking about the Baptism OF Jesus, which is in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said:
Matt. 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

I have repeatedly shown you that Greek scholars OVWERWHELMINGLY render this verse as “by the AUTHORITY of”.

“In the name of” meaning:
Macmillan Dictionary
1. representing someone or something
2. using the authority given by someone or something
Collins Dictionary
1. in appeal or reference to
2. by the authority of; as the representative of

Idioms.TheReferenceDictionary.com
1. Based on the authority of someone or something. We proclaim these things in the name of God. In the name of King John, I command you to halt.
2. With someone or something as a basis, reason, or motivation.
Thesaurus.com
- through - at the hand of
- supported by - through the agency of
- via - with
- through the medium of

- under the aegis of
- with the assistance of
According to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange/:
Putting all religious contentions aside for the sake of our language, the etymology of name offers a good place to start understanding: Old English nama, noma "name, REPUTATION," from Proto-Germanic *namon
English phrase in the name of simply asserts the REPUTATION and AUTHORITY of another person.
English Reports Annotated - Pages 1505-2672, 1505, page 2048
The dictionary trumps this?...

Is that what the RCC uses to eliminate baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The dictionary trumps this?...

Is that what the RCC uses to eliminate baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins?
Understanding the intent of language trumps the idiotic approach of the text in a wooden, literal manner.

If I say to someone robbing a bank, ‘Stop, in the name of the Law!” - would I have to find a guy named, “Law”, so the criminal would understand?

What YOU’VE done is erroneously make the words of Pater trump the words of Jesus.
BIG mistake . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding the intent of language trumps the idiotic approach of the text in a wooden, literal manner.

If I say to someone robbing a bank, ‘Stop, in the name of the Law!” - would I have to find a guy named, “Law”, so the criminal would understand?

What YOU’VE done is erroneously make the words of Pater trump the words of Jesus.
BIG mistake . . .
No, I made Peter interpret the name of the son per Matt 28:19 as "Jesus" per Acts 2:38....

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Isn't that brilliant of Peter to figure that out and you cannot, nor anyone else?

Are you jealous?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I made Peter interpret the name of the son per Matt 28:19 as "Jesus" per Acts 2:38....
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Isn't that brilliant of Peter to figure that out and you cannot, nor anyone else?
Are you jealous?
WRONG.

The Great Commission is NOT about proper names - nut about AUTHORITY.
If it were about names - then YOU need to tells me the personal names of the Father and the Holy Spirit it are.

If you can't tell me - then your entire argument circles the drain . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

The Great Commission is NOT about proper names - nut about AUTHORITY.
If it were about names - then YOU need to tells me the personal names of the Father and the Holy Spirit it are.

If you can't tell me - then your entire argument circles the drain . . .
The name of the Father is Jesus, the name of the son is Jesus, the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus. You did not know that?

All these years you thought the name of the Father is Father, the name of the son is son and the name of the Holy Ghost is Holy Ghost?

Doesn’t the Roman catholic church teach you anything?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The name of the Father is Jesus, the name of the son is Jesus, the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus. You did not know that?

All these years you thought the name of the Father is Father, the name of the son is son and the name of the Holy Ghost is Holy Ghost?

Doesn’t the Roman catholic church teach you anything?
Sooooo, as a Sola ScripturistYOU need to show mw where the BIBLE makes this claim.

Show me where it says that the Father is named, “Jesus”, and the Holy Spirit is named, “Jesus.”
Chapter and Verse, Sola Scripturist . . .
If you can't - then it's NOT true, according to your OWN standard . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sooooo, as a Sola ScripturistYOU need to show mw where the BIBLE makes this claim.

Show me where it says that the Father is named, “Jesus”, and the Holy Spirit is named, “Jesus.”
Chapter and Verse
, Sola Scripturist . . .
If you can't - then it's NOT true, according to your OWN standard . . .

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Jesus TOLD you that you must eat his body and drink his blood.
Jesus SHOWED you how at the Last Supper HOW to eat his body and drink his blood.
Paul then re-affirmed what Jesus TOLD you and SHOWED you: The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? Some still don't believe Him OR Paul![/QUOTE]

Jesus never told anyone to eat him. If he did his body would have been barbecued instead of being put in a tomb...You misunderstand and misinterpret the scriptures. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes - but only because, in the New Testament, baptism was simultaneous with conversion.

If you separate baptism from conversion (as most churches do), then the doctrine ceases to make sense.
True. Conversion must include water baptism. Without baptism there can be no conversion no different than belief, faith, confession of belief, and repentance. All are required including baptism in order to be saved/born again/converted, become a child of God and Christian, added to the Lord's body which is his church, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Reactions: Truther

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, the word baptism means to submerge...and refers to a washing...
Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Regeneration is to be reborn...
Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Being reborn is synonymous with being saved, converted, etc. They all equate to the same thing, and baptism, the immersion in water is part of that process of being saved, reborn, or converted such as was the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8, or the Jews in Acts 2, or Paul in Acts 9 as retold in Acts 22

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. Conversion must include water baptism. Without baptism there can be no conversion no different than belief, faith, confession of belief, and repentance. All are required including baptism in order to be saved/born again/converted, become a child of God and Christian, added to the Lord's body which is his church, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Specifically, water baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins.

Reactions: DJT_47

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

If you are on an airplane that is going crash into a mountain in 10 minutes from engine failure, what do you preach to 100 passengers for salvation? Answer: Jesus, no water around
In fact, Ukraine is going through a revival at this time. When bombs are landing around you, you pray to Jesus to save you.
In fact, a great majority on this forum were saved and then baptized.

Mark 1:4 - John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Acts 2:38 -Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

You see here that Peter, at this time, only knew John's baptism, and in the upper room Peter received the Holy Spirit. So in that order was all Peter knew. Repent, water baptize for remission of sins,(John's baptism) and then receive the Holy Spirit, Just in the same order as Peter received it.
Now Peter says Jesus is the only path to salvation.
Acts 4:12 - Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Phillip gets it right

Acts 8:37-38 - Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
and he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.

With Apostle Paul's conversion
Acts 9:17-18 -And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.

Do not confuse water baptism, and the Holy Spirit baptism. They are not the same thing

Acts 10:44 - While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

Romans 10:17 -So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

If you are on an airplane that is going crash into a mountain in 10 minutes from engine failure, what do you preach to 100 passengers for salvation? Answer: Jesus, no water around
In fact, Ukraine is going through a revival at this time. When bombs are landing around you, you pray to Jesus to save you.
In fact, a great majority on this forum were saved and then baptized.

Mark 1:4 - John came baptizing in the wilderness and preaching a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Acts 2:38 -Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

You see here that Peter, at this time, only knew John's baptism, and in the upper room Peter received the Holy Spirit. So in that order was all Peter knew. Repent, water baptize for remission of sins,(John's baptism) and then receive the Holy Spirit, Just in the same order as Peter received it.
Now Peter says Jesus is the only path to salvation.
Acts 4:12 - Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Phillip gets it right

Acts 8:37-38 - Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
and he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.

With Apostle Paul's conversion
Acts 9:17-18 -And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.

Do not confuse water baptism, and the Holy Spirit baptism. They are not the same thing

Acts 10:44 - While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

Romans 10:17 -So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
If I had 10 minutes to live I would be preaching to myself. Lol

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said "If I had 10 minutes to live I would be preaching to myself. Lol"
I hear ya. But there are true stories from plane crash survivor's of this happening, just imagine the one's with no survivors. They have recordings of Pilots praying to Jesus before a plane clash.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said "If I had 10 minutes to live I would be preaching to myself. Lol"
I hear ya. But there are true stories from plane crash survivor's of this happening, just imagine the one's with no survivors. They have recordings of Pilots praying to Jesus before a plane clash.
Yep, I think if we all knew we had a few moments to live, we would all be screaming our heads off and the preacher would be on his knees.