Is believing/faith a work ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again if you condition any part of salvation on what you do, it’s a works merit salvation and totally repudiates grace.
Again, you keep repeating your mantra without any biblical back and forth discussion. This should show that your belief is not biblical because you cannot properly explain the verses that contradict your belief.

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They are not.

Look at 1 John 1:7.

John 1:7 KJV
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

John includes himself in this condition by saying “we.” He is saying IF…. We walk in the light. So walking in the light is not a guarantee. He is saying it for the benefit of his readers in that they have to walk in the light (continue love their brothers - 1 John 2:9-11) in order for the blood of Jesus to cleanse them from all sin.

If John spoke as you did, the verse would say:

Those of us who are born again will always walk in the light and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. But John uses the IF word to say… IF we walk in the light…. Then such a condition as the blood cleansing us from sin happens.

1 John 1:9 is even more unmistakable.

It says IF we confess of our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive of us our sins. So John is telling us to confess so as to be forgiven. One thing needs to be done in order for the other thing to happen. You are not forgiven of sin until you confess it.

John does not say… and the true children of God will always confess of sin whereby they are already forgiven. That is what you would like the text to say but you have to read these conditional statements as being non-existent because you don’t like what they say plainly.

The Bible says for us to:

CONTINUE in the faith.
CONTINUE in God’s grace.
CONTINUE in his goodness.
KEEP YOURSELF in the love of God.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH… and lay hold on eternal life (Which is a command).

So your not believing the Bible as it is plainly written.
These statements of telling the reader (believer) to do these things would be a lie if what you say is true.
By what you are saying, you therefore believe salvation can be lost.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If someone walks in the light, etc... well they will if they belong to Christ.
They will continue to believe and follow Christ. If they sin, then Christ will chastise them, to bring them back into a right relationship. Look at Peter, he was taken by the devil and the devil spoke words to Christ through Peter, and Christ told Peter he would deny Him 3 times, but Christ told Peter HE HAD PRAYED for PETER, and when he had turned back to the LORD, to strengthen his brothers.

One of the ministries today of the Spirit is to intercede for the saints according to the will of God, and God's will is that none of those HE gave to Christ the Son be lost.

Matthew 16:20-23
20 Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.

22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, [a]“Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are [b]an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Luke 22
31 [d]And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

John 6
39. “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Reactions: mailmandan

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, you keep repeating your mantra without any biblical back and forth discussion. This should show that your belief is not biblical because you cannot properly explain the verses that contradict your belief.
What I am saying needs to be repeated, the error of conditioning salvation on mans action is repeated.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone walks in the light, etc... well they will if they belong to Christ.
They will continue to believe and follow Christ. If they sin, then Christ will chastise them, to bring them back into a right relationship. Look at Peter, he was taken by the devil and the devil spoke words to Christ through Peter, and Christ told Peter he would deny Him 3 times, but Christ told Peter HE HAD PRAYED for PETER, and when he had turned back to the LORD, to strengthen his brothers.

One of the ministries today of the Spirit is to intercede for the saints according to the will of God, and God's will is that none of those HE gave to Christ the Son be lost.

Matthew 16:20-23
20 Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.

22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, [a]“Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”

23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are [b]an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

Luke 22
31 [d]And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

John 6
39. “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”
Notice. Jesus prayed so that his faith would not fail. Why would he bother to pray that his faith would not fail if he was locked into the kingdom and eternally secure?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By what you are saying, you therefore believe salvation can be lost.
Fall Away List of Verses:

If we are never in jeopardy when we sin, then the Bible would not teach that we can fall away from the faith; But it does teach that we can fall away.

Here are several lists of verses that makes it absolutely clear that believers can fall away from the faith:

Here is a General List of Verses on How Believers Can Fall Away:

1 Samuel 16:14
1 Samuel 31:4
Ezekiel 18:24
Hebrews 3:12-14
Hebrews 4:11
Hebrews 6:4-9
Hebrews 10:26-30
Hebrews 12:15
1 Timothy 1:18-20
1 Timothy 4:1-7
Galatians 3:1-5
2 Peter 2:20-22
2 Peter 3:17
Matthew 13:18-23
1 Corinthians 10:12
2 Thessalonians 2:3

Now, do not misunderstand me, believers cannot lose their salvation (like they would a pair of car keys), but they can forfeit their salvation (i.e. they can willingly throw it away by rebelling against God). In fact,

Here is a list of believers who have forfeited their salvation:

Saul (1 Samuel 16:14) (1 Samuel 31:4)
Demas (2 Timothy 4:10)
The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32)
Judas Iscariot (Psalm 41:9) (Luke 6:16) (Acts 1:25)
Hymenaeus and Philetus (2 Timothy 2:17-18)
Unnamed Christians destroyed by false teaching (2 Timothy 2:17-18)
Many Unnamed Disciples (John 6:66)
Some Younger Christian Widows (1 Timothy 5:14-15)
Some Christians Eager For Money (1 Timothy 6:8-10)
Ananias and Sapphira (Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11)

And here is a list of potential fallen believers:

The Servant Who is Not Looking For Him (Luke 12:45-46)
Recent Convert Who is a Potential Spiritual Leader (1 Timothy 3:6)
The Unforgiving in Heart (Matthew 6:14-15)
Luke Warm Unrepentant Believer (Revelation 3:14-22)
Fruitless Christians (John 15:1-10) (Matthew 25:14-30)
Widows That Live in Pleasure (1 Timothy 5:5-6)
Believers Whose Seed Fell Upon the Rocks (Luke 8:13)
Believers Whose Seed Was Choked by Thorns (Matthew 13:22)
Gentile Believer Who Did Not Have on a Wedding Garment (Matthew 22:1-14) (Revelation 19:7-8)
The Potential Fellow Believer Who Erred From the Truth & Was Converted Back (James 5:19-20)

In fact, Paul is against Eternal Security or a sin and still be saved type belief. For Paul says,

1. We can fall from grace (Galatians 5:4).

2. We can be moved away from the hope (Colossians 1:23).

3. We can be a castaway (1 Corinthians 9:27).

4. We can be cut off just like the Jews if we do not continue in God’s goodness (Romans 11:20-22).

5. We can sow to the flesh and reap corruption instead of sowing to the Spirit which reaps everlasting life. (Galatians 6:8).

6. We can deny God by a lack of good works (Titus 1:16).

7. We can shipwreck our faith (1 Timothy 1:19).

8. We can deny the faith and be worse than an infidel if we do not provide for our own household (1 Timothy 5:8).

9. We can err from the faith and pierce ourselves thru with many sorrows if we love and covet after money (1 Timothy 6:10).

10. Hymnenaeus and Philetus have overthrown the faith of some (2 Timothy 2:18).

These things would not exist in Scripture if things are as OSAS folk say.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Fall Away List of Verses:

If we are never in jeopardy when we sin, then the Bible would not teach that we can fall away from the faith; But it does teach that we can fall away.

Here are several lists of verses that makes it absolutely clear that believers can fall away from the faith:

Here is a General List of Verses on How Believers Can Fall Away:

1 Samuel 16:14
1 Samuel 31:4
Ezekiel 18:24
Hebrews 3:12-14
Hebrews 4:11
Hebrews 6:4-9
Hebrews 10:26-30
Hebrews 12:15
1 Timothy 1:18-20
1 Timothy 4:1-7
Galatians 3:1-5
2 Peter 2:20-22
2 Peter 3:17
Matthew 13:18-23
1 Corinthians 10:12
2 Thessalonians 2:3

Now, do not misunderstand me, believers cannot lose their salvation (like they would a pair of car keys), but they can forfeit their salvation (i.e. they can willingly throw it away by rebelling against God). In fact,

Here is a list of believers who have forfeited their salvation:

Saul (1 Samuel 16:14) (1 Samuel 31:4)
Demas (2 Timothy 4:10)
The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32)
Judas Iscariot (Psalm 41:9) (Luke 6:16) (Acts 1:25)
Hymenaeus and Philetus (2 Timothy 2:17-18)
Unnamed Christians destroyed by false teaching (2 Timothy 2:17-18)
Many Unnamed Disciples (John 6:66)
Some Younger Christian Widows (1 Timothy 5:14-15)
Some Christians Eager For Money (1 Timothy 6:8-10)
Ananias and Sapphira (Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11)

And here is a list of potential fallen believers:

The Servant Who is Not Looking For Him (Luke 12:45-46)
Recent Convert Who is a Potential Spiritual Leader (1 Timothy 3:6)
The Unforgiving in Heart (Matthew 6:14-15)
Luke Warm Unrepentant Believer (Revelation 3:14-22)
Fruitless Christians (John 15:1-10) (Matthew 25:14-30)
Widows That Live in Pleasure (1 Timothy 5:5-6)
Believers Whose Seed Fell Upon the Rocks (Luke 8:13)
Believers Whose Seed Was Choked by Thorns (Matthew 13:22)
Gentile Believer Who Did Not Have on a Wedding Garment (Matthew 22:1-14) (Revelation 19:7-8)
The Potential Fellow Believer Who Erred From the Truth & Was Converted Back (James 5:19-20)

In fact, Paul is against Eternal Security or a sin and still be saved type belief. For Paul says,

1. We can fall from grace (Galatians 5:4).

2. We can be moved away from the hope (Colossians 1:23).

3. We can be a castaway (1 Corinthians 9:27).

4. We can be cut off just like the Jews if we do not continue in God’s goodness (Romans 11:20-22).

5. We can sow to the flesh and reap corruption instead of sowing to the Spirit which reaps everlasting life. (Galatians 6:8).

6. We can deny God by a lack of good works (Titus 1:16).

7. We can shipwreck our faith (1 Timothy 1:19).

8. We can deny the faith and be worse than an infidel if we do not provide for our own household (1 Timothy 5:8).

9. We can err from the faith and pierce ourselves thru with many sorrows if we love and covet after money (1 Timothy 6:10).

10. Hymnenaeus and Philetus have overthrown the faith of some (2 Timothy 2:18).

These things would not exist in Scripture if things are as OSAS folk say.
Those things are written so that we will not be like them, the unsaved, of whom Christ says I never knew you.
In any church there are divisions, and some certain number are unsaved, as they were never born again.

Here are scriptures that plainly show your opinion wrong
John 10:27-29
New King James Version
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

God makes the tree (person) either a good fruit bearing person, or they remain a bad fruit bearing person. The good fruit bearing cannot bear bad fruit and be condemned, so what you're saying contradicts Christ's words. The good fruit bearing is the fruit of the Spirit in a born of God person's life, not their old man of the flesh that perishes. Romans 8, the body is dead because of sin, but still the born of God person remains saved because they are more than their old nature.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Matthew 7
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Matthew 12
33Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 Brood[f] of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure [g]of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

1 Corinthians 11
Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” 8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; 9 nor let us [a]tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; 10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 Now [b]all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our [c]admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Another verse set proving eternal salvation for those born of God.
And we have passed from death into life when we believe. There is no going backwards for those who God has saved, it is called eternal salvation.

1 John 3
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

You opinion contradicts what John says here. John is not speaking of the flesh, the body which is dead becuase of sin, John is speaking of the new creation in Christ, the new spirit God created in righteousness and holiness within a man.

FLESH AND BLOOD DOES NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ephesians 4 here says nothing about losing salvation, it instead confirms eternal salvation

The New Man​

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as [f]the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Do Not Grieve the Spirit​

25 Therefore, putting away lying, “Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,” for we are members of one another. 26 “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give [g]place to the devil. 28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but
rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. 29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary [h]edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, [i]clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Reactions: mailmandan

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone walks in the light, etc... well they will if they belong to Christ. They will continue to believe and follow Christ...
Amen! This confirms that one is a child of God. 1 John 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. Walking in darkness is descriptive of children of the devil. Walking in the light is descriptive of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 11 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother. *We notice that "walks in darkness" and "hates his brother" is connected with "children of the devil" and NOT children of God.

BTW - Excellent posts brother! :)

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Notice. Jesus prayed so that his faith would not fail. Why would he bother to pray that his faith would not fail if he was locked into the kingdom and eternally secure?
Your missing the truth that the Spirit prays for the saints so that their faith will not fail, in accordance with the will of God
Christ tells us the will of God is none of those the Father has given to Christ will be lost.

You are fighting against the Spirit saying what you did, by implying the Spirit does not pray according to the will of God, in fact your making up stories because to believe as you do, then the will of God is that some be lost that HE has given to Christ, and that is the exact opposite to what Christ teaches, you are in opposition to God, I hope you can see that now. I pray God will open your eyes to this, as otherwise you will never understand.

Again salvation is of the LORD, not you. The reason you repent and believe is God has made it happen by His power

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Peter 1

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance [b]incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your faith was granted to you by God.
This is not of yourself being the gift of God.

Philippians 1

27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [f]to you of salvation, and that from God.

29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, 30 having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me.

Total agreement with John 6, also Peter says they have come to believe and know Jesus is the SON
They were granted to come to Christ, not all are... And come to know as God has taught and revealed the truth to them by the Spirit

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went [p]back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the [q]Christ, the Son of the living God.”

And Romans 8
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

v29 and 30 are important truths. All Gods works were finished from the foundation of the world. God foreknew His own people, and God therefore made it happen according to His will that they would be glorified.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Acts 15
14 Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:

16 ‘After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the [d]Lord who does all these things.’

18 [e]“Known to God from eternity are all His works. 19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God,

The Lord foreknew all those who are His before time began, and He then made it so in time.

2 Timothy 1

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

Our salvation is according to the power of God. And God determined before time began to call US to immortality and that is why you believe in Christ

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Thessalonians 2, God from the beginning before time began CHOSE YOU FOR SALVATION in eternity past as one of His works, and all Gods works were finished after 6 days and then God rested.

Which is why you are saved, and then Paul describes the process God did IN TIME, as in our time.

13 But we are [f]bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through [g]sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our [h]epistle.

16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, 17 comfort your hearts and [i]establish you in every good word and work.

Hebrews 4
3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

God grants faith to those who are His foreknown people and grants only them to come to Christ.

Romans 12
3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
If you condition salvation in any degree on what you do you promote salvation by your works!
The Bible is full of examples of God's free gifts having conditions, you ignore this for it does not fit Calvinistic ideas. Rom 5:1-2 faith gives access to grace therefore faith is a condition to receiving grace yet you have the faithless unconditionally receiving grace....the exact opposite of the Bible.

Salvation is conditional upon obedience to God's will ("obedience unto righeousness" Rom 6:16) for no verse teaches those who live in disobedience will unconditionally be saved in their unremitted sins. The fact you cannot prove from the Bible that obedience to God is ever called a work of merit is another nail in the faith onlyism coffin.....obedience and works of merit are two different things. Hence your above statement continues to have no Biblical basis.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
I took one verse and showed what Jesus said about who it is that hears the words of God. Jn 8:47
You took that one verse out of context and isolated that verse from all other context and read your Calvinism into that verses. You have unbelievers saved/be of God which is completely antithical to what the Bible teaches. Verses speak of unbelief s a lost state you claim it is a saved state creating contradictions which you never bother yourself to rectify.