is doing sexual things with a boyfriend/girlfriend sin...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

May 10, 2021
Oakland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as the bible says nothing about peting, that is a hard question to answer. Sexual intercourse outside of marriage is sin.

My opinion (and this is just opinion) is that "fooling around" is to be avoided at all costs. Why?

roverbs 6:26-29
King James Version

26 For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adultress will hunt for the precious life.

27 Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?

28 Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?

29 So he that goeth in to his neighbour's wife; whosoever toucheth her shall not be innocent.

Knowing that God designed men and women to be married, fooling around with a woman who is not your wife is fooling around with someone elses future wife. (time is irrelavent in the eyes of God remember)

What do you believe the Bible describes as marriage ?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The act of marriage- sexual intercourse. A marriage ceremony only authorizes with the ruling body (whether secular or sacred) to be married. But it is the act of intercourse that makes the couple married!

Reactions: Osiris

Osiris

May 10, 2021
Oakland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The act of marriage- sexual intercourse. A marriage ceremony only authorizes with the ruling body (whether secular or sacred) to be married. But it is the act of intercourse that makes the couple married!
“The act of marriage -sexual intercourse”
So then wouldn’t it be impossible to commit such a sin as “sex outside of marriage”
Adultery however, sex with another mans wife is a sin. A married woman can’t perform the “act of marriage” with any other lest her husband die.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The act of marriage -sexual intercourse”
So then wouldn’t it be impossible to commit such a sin as “sex outside of marriage”
Adultery however, sex with another mans wife is a sin. A married woman can’t perform the “act of marriage” with any other lest her husband die.

Fornication is the technical term for all sexual sin outside of the bond of marriage. So sex by an unmarried couple makes them one, but it is still sin, unless the laws allow for a couple to simply have intercourse to be legally married.

Reactions: April_Rose

Osiris

May 10, 2021
Oakland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fornication is the technical term for all sexual sin outside of the bond of marriage. So sex by an unmarried couple makes them one, but it is still sin, unless the laws allow for a couple to simply have intercourse to be legally married.
The law doesn’t say to give your woman a ring , or to have a marriage ceremony. Did Adam and Eve have a marriage ceremony ? No as soon as Eve was created she was now called Eve ( chavvah one Hebrew meaning bringer of life) in one verse she is woman and the next verse she is wife. Adam and Eve became one flesh. And she became his wife. Becoming one flesh is sex , becoming one flesh is marriage in the eyes of the lord. It’s right there in genesis

Reactions: April_Rose

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or fornication?
The question is quite elementary, so deserves an elementary answer.

In other words, the subject is in the scriptures for moral reasons, that the people of God might practice those things that are a form of foreshadowing...but more importantly are in the eternal word of God for a much greater reason: It reveals something about that greater relationship we are to have with God. And yes, if you mess up the smaller moral practice, you will likely do the same with God.

So...image he/she (the boyfriend/girlfriend) is God...and then answer the question in that context.

See the problem with premarital sex?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law doesn’t say to give your woman a ring , or to have a marriage ceremony. Did Adam and Eve have a marriage ceremony ? No as soon as Eve was created she was now called Eve ( chavvah one Hebrew meaning bringer of life) in one verse she is woman and the next verse she is wife. Adam and Eve became one flesh. And she became his wife. Becoming one flesh is sex , becoming one flesh is marriage in the eyes of the lord. It’s right there in genesis

Eve was called Eve after the fall, not at her creation, Gen. 3:20.

Well as Adam and Eve were the first two humans to walk the earth, they had no minister or rabbi or JP. But we are called to obey governing authorities for they are Gods ministers (Rom. 13) except of course in unbiblical rules. As there is no prohibition against marriage ceremonies we must obey. Israel did not recognize a marriage unless blessed by a rabbi and the church does not recognize a marriage unless a ceremony is performed prior to the marriage being consummated.

Yes having sex with a woman is becoming one with her. Paul reconfirmed that in Corinthians. That is why intercourse before marriage is a sin. If you had sex with 5 woman that makes you a polygamist.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any scriptures for that?

Directly? No ! but as this is an operating command for believers:

Romans 13
King James Version

13 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

So in countries that require some ceremony to authorize a marriage- we should have a ceremony.

I do not know if there is any country that does not require some legal recognition of intent and then actual marriage.

I do know however thast in Ghana as late as the 1980's if one wished to divorce his wife, all he needed to do was go to the town square and publicly declare 3 times he divorces his wife and the divorce was considered legal. But that is a different issue.

I can give you teh reasons why believing churches require a ceremony. It is a public declaration of the couples intent to be faithful to each other and also to allow anyone who has reasons why the couple should not wed to come forward.

But within God speople there has always been some form of ceremony. Whether the complex marriages of today with all the glitz and glamour or the simple things of a father picking a wife for their son and publicly handing her over to him, or the agreement of two fathers with a handshake and the paying of a bride price, there has always been some form of legal recognition of the couple becoming wed.

Even the commandment of not commiting adultery recognizes that a woman is a mans wife. So having sex with a woman is in reality having sex with somes wife. Even if both are not married, for the standard of God is 1 man for 1 woman for life!

But let us assume that just having intercourse with a woman is enough to be considered wed. That would still rule out multiple sex partners! For as soon as you have intercourse with a weoman she is your wife and other than the 3 biblical allowances for remarriage, if one has another sex partner, they are committing adultery.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, Ronald, and all decent human beings will know and agree what you just posted.
Specially Christians.

The point I made was that there's no scripture about a ceremony.
The only biblical reference is sexual intercourse making a woman and man a couple for life.
So, I guess, sexual intercourse could be seen as a biblical "ceremony". :)

All other ceremonies in regards of getting married are "man made".

Reactions: Grailhunter

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Ronald, and all decent human beings will know and agree what you just posted.
Specially Christians.

The point I made was that there's no scripture about a ceremony.
The only biblical reference is sexual intercourse making a woman and man a couple for life.
So, I guess, sexual intercourse could be seen as a biblical "ceremony". :)

All other ceremonies in regards of getting married are "man made".

I disagree with this very much and I think it's also a dangerous interpretation. You tell this to people and couples living in sin will continue to live in sin because they are convinced they are basically already married. They are not. And because marriage is not held honorably, it will not be taken seriously when one person flakes out, and they will continue to repeat this process with other people over and over again. This is common in our culture today. Will you judge people coming together outside of marriage if you believe they are now married?

I am with @Michael1985 that I believe a couple who comes together must marry, but scripture says the man can do what he wants with the virgin, but that they should marry.

"If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married."
He does not say that they are married, but that they should. I will say this though, it makes sense that the church would put this in order to prevent adultery before marriage.

And honestly, in our flake out culture today, the person in question would have to ask themselves, can you really depend on and trust the person that you're dealing with? Or will they leave you high and dry after you've given yourself away to them? Lots of people will say lots of things to get what they want without consideration for the other person.

It is better to wait until after marriage, because love blinds a person but the reality is you can't always trust a person and you can end up heartbroken. Not that marriage will always prevent that either.

Last edited:

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Fluffy, I did not mean to say couples should not "marry". I agree with your post.
In our society today, yes, they should get married for sure.

I was only pointing out that the marriage ceremony as such is not mentioned in scripture.

In scripture sexual intercourse makes a man and a woman as being married.
It's a shame society has it all messed up these days and do as they like.

So, do the decent thing and go through the ceremony.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Fluffy, I did not mean to say couples should not "marry". I agree with your post.
In our society today, yes, they should get married for sure.

I was only pointing out that the marriage ceremony as such is not mentioned in scripture.

In scripture sexual intercourse makes a man and a woman as being married.
It's a shame society has it all messed up these days and do as they like.

So, do the decent thing and go through the ceremony.
I see what you mean! I apologize. I agree with you, too. :)

Reactions: Triumph1300

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created human beings to have sex.

If people decide they are going to have sex ; go for it as long as it is for the right intentions and not wrong intentions.

Some people do it because it makes them happy, some people do it because it something they enjoy doing together out of love for each other, some people do it just get done and then that is it, some people do not do it because they cant or they abstain from sex.

There are scriptures that talk about sexual immorality and things of that nature; and that has to do with many different thing. ~ It is not right to abuse Children, it is not right to Rape women, It is not right to have sex with animals, It is not right to have sex with your family members, ~ Getting the picture?

God created sex for a man and women to procreate. There is nothing wrong with having sex with someone you love; but their is a problem that might persist in a persons life if they are making their life completely on the notions of the using sex for bad purposes that are not right. There is a consequence to this and it also can lead to the spiritual death if a person that is a believer goes on to do things like this.

If anyone who read this has any other thoughts about this message please feel free to address something that is said here and address it so I can see my mistakes because I do believe in the bible, and do believe in trying to apply in it the right and contextual ways of understanding it and no one has to believe anything that I personally say: And would encourage to check the bible against all of these things.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My thoughts is that marriage is of this world and people desire to get married they can.

According to Jesus Christ their is no marriage in heaven, Matthew 22:30.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL Yeap that would be absolutely wrong on all counts.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is quite elementary, so deserves an elementary answer.

In other words, the subject is in the scriptures for moral reasons, that the people of God might practice those things that are a form of foreshadowing...but more importantly are in the eternal word of God for a much greater reason: It reveals something about that greater relationship we are to have with God. And yes, if you mess up the smaller moral practice, you will likely do the same with God.

So...image he/she (the boyfriend/girlfriend) is God...and then answer the question in that context.

See the problem with premarital sex?

LOL Is that foggy message?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eve was called Eve after the fall, not at her creation, Gen. 3:20.

Well as Adam and Eve were the first two humans to walk the earth, they had no minister or rabbi or JP. But we are called to obey governing authorities for they are Gods ministers (Rom. 13) except of course in unbiblical rules. As there is no prohibition against marriage ceremonies we must obey. Israel did not recognize a marriage unless blessed by a rabbi and the church does not recognize a marriage unless a ceremony is performed prior to the marriage being consummated.

Yes having sex with a woman is becoming one with her. Paul reconfirmed that in Corinthians. That is why intercourse before marriage is a sin. If you had sex with 5 woman that makes you a polygamist.
LOL

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created human beings to have sex.

If people decide they are going to have sex ; go for it.

Some people do it because it makes them happy, some people do it because it something they enjoy doing together out of love for each other, some people do it just get done and then that is it.

There are scriptures that talk about sexual immorality and things of that nature; and that has to do with many different thing. ~ It is not right to abuse Children, it is not right to Rape women, It is not right to have sex with animals, It is not right to have sex with your family members, ~ Getting the picture?

God created sex for a man and women to procreate. There is nothing with having sex with someone you love; but their is a problem that might persist in a persons life if they are making their life completely on the notions of the using sex for bad purposes that are not right. There is a consequence to this and it also leads to spiritual death if a person that is a believer goes on to do things like this.

If anyone who read this has any other thoughts about this message please feel free to address something that is said here and address it so I can see my mistakes because I do believe in the bible, and do believe in trying to apply in it the right and contextual ways of understanding it and no one has to believe anything that I personally say: And would encourage to check the bible against all of these things.
Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “The two shall become one flesh.”

1 Cor 6:16

"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."

Hebrews 13:4

And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Matthew 19:9

Even from that verse we know that even divorcing and marrying another except out of sexual immorality, that is adultery.

The same in this case is true. If you have sex before marriage and you do not marry that person, you are guilty of adultery.

Probably 98.9% of us are here all guilty of committing adultery. So what do we do? Repent and sin no more. Trust in the cross and stop doing it.

Reactions: MatthewG
Status
Not open for further replies.