Is Drinking a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, drinking is not a sin. I drink all the time; water, tea, coffee and even occasionally a beer. And not forgetting wine sometimes or a small whisky on rare occasions.
@robert derrick do you think it's a sin to 'drink'?
Very good! You get a gold star! or as Don Rickles would say "A cookie"

The point being most normal readers of the Bible, (Excepting yourself, of course) immediately think of 'drinking' in Biblic context naturally refers to alcohol. And that is an entirely natural thing to do (Except with yourself, of course).

And God, Who is the Author of all common sense and natural thinking, has written His Word with that understanding in mind.

After all, how many super-righteous self-congratulating 'Christians' have said: "Drinking is a sin!" They don't bother to calrify, because we all know what they are talking about (Except you, of course)

Therefore, when God speaks of the son of man has come "eating and drinking" in Luke 7, He is naturally speaking of eating food and drinking wine. Alcohol.

And in 1 Kings 4, He speaks of the days of Solomon as that of blessing for Judah and Israel, who were many and eating and drinking and making merry.

Any normal person would read that as drinking wine, alcohol. Without sin nor condemnation from God, but rather as evidence of God's blessing upon them.

Only those who make up law and claim drinking is sin, are those that would try to say that such eating and drinking is not alcohol nor wine, but rather grape juice... They are forced to invent an entire industry of grape juice in ancient Israel, in order to deny the simple fact that 'drinking' is not a sin with God.

No drinking is a sin with God, except we drink too much, whether grape juice or wine, which is drunkenness.

After all, we can be a drunkard with anything. Such as false ministers are drunk with the ministerial wine of Babylon (Rev 17).

Proverbs declares that those deceived by mocking wine and raging strong drink are fools. It's not the wine nor the strong drink that is the problem, for all things are clean of themselves (Rom 14), but rather the raging and mocking with them in deceived drunkenness.

Anything can become mocking and raging, when the lust of the flesh and of the world is applied to it: Money, sex, business, ministry...Even physical fitness. Ever seen some grossly muscled 'woman'? Yuk.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting drunk every day is a sin though.
Getting drunk once is a sin.

How do I know? Because the Bible says so:
"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5)
"For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober." (I Thess 5)

We can drink and remain sober as well as soberminded. Whether milk, grape juice or wine. It is only when we allow lust to enter in, that we drink too much at one time. Whether milk or grape juice or wine...

How do I know drinking is not a sin? Because God never said so...

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's usually an addiction which is an illness not a sin.
Only modern health 'psychologists' parse the difference between sin and illness.

God does not. There is no excuse 'by addiction', nor by 'reason of insanity'. Drunkenness is drunkenness and murder is murder, and God shall judge all for it.

That said, drinking is not a sin, because God never said so.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only modern health 'psychologists' parse the difference between sin and illness.

God does not. There is no excuse 'by addiction', nor by 'reason of insanity'. Drunkenness is drunkenness and murder is murder, and God shall judge all for it.

That said, drinking is not a sin, because God never said so.
That is rare these days my friend . But you are correct . Sin is sin and that is How God does see it .
We should too . Well said my friend . There is no excuse of addiction etc.

Reactions: Nancy

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that what you really think, that a God who is love and full of grace will judge illness to be a sin?
No he is saying we ought not heed the wisdom of men . Its they who label everything as either addiction , or etc .
I dont heed the wise men of this world . Sin is sin .
Physcology is bunk . Trust in GOD and not men of this world . Be encouraged my dear sister .

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No he is saying we ought not heed the wisdom of men . Its they who label everything as either addiction , or etc .
Physcology is bunk . Trust in GOD and not men of this world . Be encouraged my dear sister .
God does not differentiate between sin and sickness is what he said. I believe he does because he is loving and full of grace.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dont see it as an attack pearl .
And yes i used to have that kind of mind . Educated , physcology and all . So yeah i know what i speak on .
Have you ever wondered why some of the most educated shrinks are some of the most depressed people themselves
and they often end up suicide . ever wonder why that is . cause the wisdom of this world , AINT the answer .
The simple childlike , TRUTH only , IS the free mind .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dont see it as an attack pearl .
And yes i used to have that kind of mind . Educated , physcology and all . So yeah i know what i speak on .
Have you ever wondered why some of the most educated shrinks are some of the most depressed people themselves
and they often end up suicide . ever wonder why that is . cause the wisdom of this world , AINT the answer .
The simple childlike , TRUTH only , IS the free mind .
No, I'm not seeing it as an attack but I wonder why you would think a loving Father wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a sickness and a deliberate sin. What about other mental health issues that cause people to harm others. Would God see harming by a mentally unstable person as a sin too?

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not let him that said it explain what he meant to be understood in his own words. :)

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Especially when people get drunk then make bad decisions while under the influence.
The bad decision began with us allowing lust to take over.

Scripture never judged drunkenness as sin, because of what we do while drunk, but the very fact of drunkenness is the in, in that lust has been allowed to take over.

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." (James 1)

The whole point of Jesus needing to die, was for God to be able, according to the Law, to take away the lust of the world from our hearts, which began with Adam, and give us instead the new divine nature, that naturally rejects lust (2 Peter 1).

I am not trying to split hairs in this, but rather getting at the root cause of transgression: lust of the devil rather than the desire and love for God.

And so the problem is not alcohol nor even drugs, but lust coupled with it into drunkenness. And so for sex into fornication, and money into covetousness.

That's right. Drugs. Nothing is unclean of itself means nothing. It is only when lust enters in and draws us away from the faith and love of God, that sin is brought forth.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something to toss your way: Drugs, alcohol, sex, money, buildings, business, etc... were all made by Jesus. The very intelligence of man to make such things came for Him that lightens every one that comes into the world. And all things were made by Him, and nothing that is made, was made without Him.

That literally means, that the only thing the devil ever made was a lie. (John 8) (Rev 21) the devil did not make alcohol, Jesus did. He also made drugs, whether as pain killers or as thought inducers or as pleasure stimulants. All these things are made by man, because God gave jesus to lighten mankind with the distinct ability to think, plan, and make, and if God did not want us to make something, He would not allow us to know how...Birds make nests by instinct, not by careful planning of intelligent thought. Only man can do that on this earth, because we were made from the beginning in God's own image. Intelligence.

Intelligence given by God, the lightening power of Christ, is what separates us from the animal kingdom. And when lust enters into our hearts from the devil, we become as brute beasts (2 Peter 1) (Jude 1), and it matters not what we are doing, whether drinking, eating, having sex, building business, etc...it is corrupted, vain, foolish, and destructive.

Alcohol is made by us with Jesus' help. It is not sin, neither is it the problem. Lust without the Spirit of God is the problem that perverts all things, that are clean of themselves...

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I'm not seeing it as an attack but I wonder why you would think a loving Father wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a sickness and a deliberate sin. What about other mental health issues that cause people to harm others. Would God see harming by a mentally unstable person as a sin too?
You're error is one of who is defining what.

God certainly knows the difference between sickness and sin. It is man that has done away with the difference between sickness and sin.

And remember, it is our loving Father, and Creator of all mankind, that flooded the earth, drowned the Egyptians in the Red Sea, destroyed a hundred thousand Assyrians at the gate of Jerusalem, and commanded the Israelites to slaughter men, women, children, and cattle. And when King Saul did not, he was rebuked for it.

The question you truly do need to ask yourself, is why such a loving Father, Who so loved the world, would do and command such things. The answer is in 1 Peter 3.

If you really care about what you are saying, and judging me for, then read that chapter and tell us the answer. It will also inform you why my defense of God's righteous judgement is better than your defense of man's perversion of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.