Is God evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya, well we can split hairs...
God is Good,
God created man Good.
And any deflection from Good, results in the degrading of Good.
God does not Change...men change.
And the change in men falling away from good....has a multiple list of words it can be called;
Sinful, morally wrong, intentionally wrong, incidentally wrong, wicked, evil, dishonest, impure, corrupt, indecent, and on and on.

God can cause distress, misery, calamity, chaos, fear, destruction, death, etc.
And nothing He does or causes IS EVIL, but rather JUST.

Inasmuch as God created Good, so also did He create Evil, according to His OWN word.
I do not find the need to split hairs...

To answer the OP...Is God Evil? No.
God IS Good. And God IS Just.

Glory to God,
Taken

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What’s the evil about being naked?

Their evil was disobedience. No one said anything about nakedness being evil--between husband and wife in the privacy of their bedroom, it is quite appropriate. Adam and Eve's embarrassment over their nakedness is likely just a an association that they made between their lack of physical covering and their lack of spiritual covering for their sin.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It seems that for the first time after the fall, Adam and Eve felt a conscientious wound about exposing private areas of their bodies.

However, if those areas are indeed covered, then I find it hard to figure why some very conservative Christians even try to give people on a beach trouble because of bikinis, etc.

I think it is the lack of modesty (which invites all the nearby men to lust) that is the problem. There are a lot of Christian moms and dads who have teenage sons. They would prefer that their sons not be exposed to near naked women.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so also did He create Evil, according to His OWN word.
No sorry, that is wrong, it is Not according to His own word as you try to claim.
As I said before the english is translated from the Hebrew word "Rah" which has a broader definition and is used for not just the term to describe "evil" but the Hebrew word 'Rah' also means "calamity, disaster, trouble, etc. Other Bible translations besides the KJV use these other words as the translation.
NCV "7 I made the light and the darkness. I bring peace, and I cause troubles. I, the Lord, do all these things."
NIV " 7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;..."
ESV "7 I form light and create darkness;I make well-being and create calamity;...."
NASB "7 The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity"
NLT "7 I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times.
Holman Christian Standard "7 I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster;..."
RSV "77 I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe ..."

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it is the lack of modesty (which invites all the nearby men to lust) that is the problem. There are a lot of Christian moms and dads who have teenage sons. They would prefer that their sons not be exposed to near naked women.
This is a good point also.

(Though we don't really need to go back to this, in 1887: )

508px-BathingCostumesMarshallSnelgrove1887.png
Bathing Costumes from Marshall & Snelgrove, Oxford Street, public domainm wikimedia

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a good point also.

(Though we don't really need to go back to this, in 1887: )

508px-BathingCostumesMarshallSnelgrove1887.png
Bathing Costumes from Marshall & Snelgrove, Oxford Street, public domainm wikimedia

Well, it is doubtful that these costumes would inspire lust. ;)

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would say, to consider the Lords own words about Himself.

Isa 45
[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

God creates opposites, and created men with the ability to reason and make choices of either good or evil, and warns men of the consequences for whatever a man freely chooses.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken,

I suggest you do a closer study of the Hebrew, 'ra' (evil) in Isa 45:7.

The KJV has misled us with 'evil' as the translation. Cf ESV, NKJV, NIV, NRSV NASB for a more accurate transl.

Oz

Reactions: tzcho2

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sorry, that is wrong, it is Not according to His own word as you try to claim.

What I have claimed, is what the Lord Himself has claimed.
Scripture reveals the Lords Claim, and I agree with the Scriptures.

Isa 45.
[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

As I said before the english is translated from the Hebrew word "Rah" which has a broader definition and is used for not just the term to describe "evil" but the Hebrew word 'Rah' also means "calamity, disaster, trouble, etc. Other Bible translations besides the KJV use these other words as the translation.
NCV "7 I made the light and the darkness. I bring peace, and I cause troubles. I, the Lord, do all these things."
NIV " 7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster;..."
ESV "7 I form light and create darkness;I make well-being and create calamity;...."
NASB "7 The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity"
NLT "7 I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times.
Holman Christian Standard "7 I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster;..."
RSV "77 I form light and create darkness, I make weal and create woe ..."

The OP is, "Is God Evil".

The Answer is NO.

God IS HOLY.
God Creates EVIL.
God IS NOT created.

Isa 45.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,

The KJV has misled us with 'evil' as the translation. Cf ESV, NKJV, NIV, NRSV NASB for a more accurate transl.

Oz

Thanks, however I do not find your suggestion necessary, or your accusation about the KJV accurate.

God Himself has Created and INFORMED us of what IS;
GOOD, RIGHTEOUS, HOLY
What IS:
EVIL, WRONG, UNHOLY

God Himself has Created and INFOMED us of
TWO PATHS an individual can SEEK and TRAVEL.
One Path leads to:
Good, Righteousness, Holiness
One Path leads to;
Evil, Wrong, Unholiness

God created man.
God created the Paths.
God created man with the Freewill to choose
...their own path to travel.
God created the Consequences for both paths
God INFORMS us HE WILL HELP each of us
...succeed IN WHICH EVER PATH WE CHOOSE
God knows the truth in a mans Heart.
God IS JUST.
All men shall receive what they desire.

Scripture is clear, God created Evil.
Scripture is clear, God reveals what is Good.
Scripture is clear, Men have a Freewill Choice.
Scripture is clear, God desires men to Freely Choose the Path that leads to Goodness, Righteousness and holiness...
Scripture is clear, God has created and defined what is the opposite of Goodness, Righteousness and holiness.

Glory to God,
Taken

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken,

Oz
Some people just don't let the facts get in the way of their formed opinions. I've given this info to him twice.

Reactions: Dan57

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I have claimed, is what the Lord Himself has claimed.
Scripture reveals the Lords Claim, and I agree with the Scriptures.Isa 45[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
The OP is, "Is God Evil".The Answer is NO.God IS HOLY.God Creates EVIL.God IS NOT created.Isa 45.[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.Glory to God, Taken
Actually by claiming over and over that God creates evil, what you are doing is slandering God's character and that does Not give him glory.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually by claiming over and over that God creates evil, what you are doing is slandering God's character and that does Not give him glory.

Hi Tzcho2,
What then shall we do with those scriptures that Taken posted? I was quite shocked when I came upon those scriptures in Isaiah and still am not wholly understanding it but, I also see the word "calamity" and "disaster" in other versions so...I have to read the scriptures and take them as He intended. And, NO I do NOT believe God is evil. :)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That certainly may be your opinion;

However I do not in the Least find speaking the Truth slandering to God.

Gen 2
[9] And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, AND...and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Clearly God IS NOT EVIL.
Clearly God Created the Knowledge of WHAT is Good and WHAT is EVIL.
Clearly God Created the Knowledge of wHAT a man can FREELY CHOOSE, between seeking Good or seeking Evil, and the Consequences for which ever a man Freely Chooses to seek, that is that which a man shall find.

You have given your adamant Objection to Gods own word of having Created Evil....
But you fail to give your opinion of WHAT instead Created Evil, or your supporting Scripture for such a conclusion.

Glory to God,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Tzcho2,
What then shall we do with those scriptures that Taken posted? I was quite shocked when I came upon those scriptures in Isaiah and still am not wholly understanding it but, I also see the word "calamity" and "disaster" in other versions so...I have to read the scriptures and take them as He intended. And, NO I do NOT believe God is evil. :)
The Bible teaches us that the LORD God is Sovereign.

Isaiah 46:10 "Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, 'My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure';"

Our heavenly Father is ultimately in control of everything. God allows/ uses the bad times, disasters, woes, or misfortunes at times to accomplish His plan & for His purposes. Sometimes tests comes as chastisements because we get off the path & that causes consequences at times. The Bible tells us God is loving, patient & merciful also & pours out His grace and mercy and forgiveness. We are told in all things to pray. The Bible also tells us God's ways are not our ways, He is the Creator and sees the end from the beginning & our life and times is in His hands. There is also Satan, who we must contend & God allows tests to happen, but we are more then overcomers through God's beloved Son our Lord & redeemer Jesus Christ! We are promised that He walks with us always & gives us the ultimate victory & eternal life no matter what we sometimes must endure on this earth and it is all for God's glory. We are told to occupy until He comes, because this is enemy territory we are in, though God is in control ultimately & we have been given an instruction manual -the Bible and prophetic scriptures that tells us how it will all unfold. We know that All Wisdom and power belong to our heavenly Father God & HE is the author and finisher of our faith , Hebrews 12:2.
We can look to the book of Job for inspiration how to handle tests when they come, and Apostle Paul all that happened to him- 3X shipwrecked, stoned, whipped, beaten. Sometimes Satan is allowed to buffet us, but it is all under God's sovereignty, through faith & prayer we can call on God for shelter & refuge. I don't know if this meets your question of what should we do with the scripture of Isaiah 47, but that's how I've come to understand these things & God's sovereign will. :)

2 Cor 11:25
"24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked. I spent a night and a day in the open sea. 26 In my frequent journeys, I have been in danger from rivers and from bandits, in danger from my countrymen and from the Gentiles, in danger in the city and in the country, in danger on the sea and among false brothers,

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible teaches us that the LORD God is Sovereign.

Yes.
And who is challenging His Soverignty to Create Evil?

Our heavenly Father is ultimately in control of everything. God allows/ uses the bad times, disasters, woes, or misfortunes at times to accomplish His plan & for His purposes.

Yes.
And how can men DO Evil, if Evil and the Knowledge of Evil does not exist?

Glory to God,
Taken

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.
And who is challenging His Soverignty to Create Evil?
You are making a false statement about God based upon a bad translation of the Hebrew word "rah" placed in the KJV . God is not the author of sin. Allowing is not the same meaning as creating. (Besides being a believer & following Jesus) I believe & follow the Bible scripture and not-- the King James Version.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are making a false statement about God

No, I am not.

Perhaps it is you Challenging Gods creation, based on misunderstanding.

based upon a bad translation of the Hebrew word "rah" placed in the KJV .

God is not the author of sin.

Why deflect? That was not claimed or the topic or the point.

Allowing is not the same meaning as creating.

Never said it was.

And so, your point is, God ALLOWS "evil"...wihtout First Establishing the creation of what EVIL is?

(Besides being a believer & following Jesus) I believe & follow the Bible scripture and not-- the King James Version.

Well, okay. That is Your option. Doesn't make you right and others wrong or others right and you wrong.

I don't have to bad-mouth your Elected Version as pseudo "proof" that "my" Primary Elected Verizon is Bible Scripture....and yours is not.

I don't really care what version of Scripture people choose....I am quite confident they all say God is the Creator and Maker...and to argue against that, doesn't make me wonder about your Bible Version Choice, but rather why, you fear the truth of Gods creations.

There are many men who challenge God...
Saying HOW CAN A GOD WHO IS LOVE...
Create death, hell a place of torments, evil, disasters, diseases, etc.

If you believe God is the creator, but did not create those things....then WHO DID create them?

Glory to God,
Taken

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some people just don't let the facts get in the way of their formed opinions. I've given this info to him twice.

Even the NLT gets it right. It says "I send good times and bad times". This is a statement of God's sovereignty. He does what He wills. Evil is simply the absence of what God has declared to be good--just as darkness is the absence of light.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scripture is clear, God created Evil.
That is TOTAL NONSENSE.

God allows evil to exist, but to claim that God created evil is to blaspheme God. God HATES sin and evil.

God creates natural calamities and disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. But all of nature is under His control, and the natural creation was subjected to a curse when Adam sinned.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is TOTAL NONSENSE.

God allows evil to exist, but to claim that God created evil is to blaspheme God. God HATES sin and evil.

God creates natural calamities and disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. But all of nature is under His control, and the natural creation was subjected to a curse when Adam sinned.
Exactly.