Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Quiverfull. We avoid medically unnecessary contraception, trusting that we cannot produce any children except those that God wants us to have; that He opens & closes the womb. And they'll stop coming when He stops sending them (unless our bodies fail us first).

(And not all QF families are large, either.)

It is a different paradigm than the world's. God creates people deliberately (with purpose), not just as an obligation because a couple had "unprotected" sex.

⚤ ♀♂♂♂♂♂♀♂♂⎛♀⎞♂♀♂♂♂
Interesting set of symbols there...

Reactions: Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting set of symbols there...
full
(There's a clue in my profile...)

Reactions: Helen

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your play with words as in exegesis/interpretation as if they are not connected reaffirms the slipperiness.
Again, you offer no correct exegesis/interpretation, just mindless Catholic bashing that most Christians are sick of reading. For an anti-trinitarian, you have no business making statements on the nature of Christianity in general, and the exegesis/interpretation of any bible passage in particular. The post in question is taken from the author of www.scripturecatholic.com, your beef is with John Salsa who is far more educated than anyone on this forum. Continuing with baseless stupid flaming zingers only affirms your lack of credibility and an inability to contribute anything positive in this thread.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Little girls do not grow up dreaming of hopping from bed to bed and contraception. They dream of a man who will sweep them off their feet and love them forever, and of having his many children. A cynicism born of the sexual revolution has brought emptiness to the hearts, wombs and lives of far too many modern women. This emptiness and pain can be avoided or redeemed and healed by the love of Christ and adherence to His teachings. The Catholic Church believes in such dreams because God wrote them on the human heart. And there are men who long for such a woman to love and cherish.

Real lovers want to give without reserve in God's own superabundance creating more hearts and lives to love. Contraception is like kissing through a screen door and real love cannot tolerate obstacles. Contraception breeds selfishness and separation that drives a wedge between husband and wife that kills love. Real lovers want their love to explode into the posterity of future generations for all eternity. This is the kind of passion and fulfillment God wants for His children. Contraception limits what should be boundless. It spits in the face of this glorious passion and love's true abandon; and that is why it is a sin. It seeks to "tame" love, thus killing it. The Catholic Church is the last bastion on earth of true romance. The modern world has suffocated love and made sex a thing of deadness.
lifeissues.net | Contraception the Love Killer

Reactions: Cristo Rei

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again, you offer no correct exegesis/interpretation, just mindless Catholic bashing that most Christians are sick of reading. For an anti-trinitarian, you have no business making statements on the nature of Christianity in general, and the exegesis/interpretation of any bible passage in particular. The post in question is taken from the author of www.scripturecatholic.com, your beef is with John Salsa who is far more educated than anyone on this forum. Continuing with baseless stupid flaming zingers only affirms your lack of credibility and an inability to contribute anything positive in this thread.
I'm somewhat surprised at your flawed assessment Illuminator, particularly seeing you have given yourself such an illustrious moniker.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok wat about IVF.
Is that acceptable to God or is it intervening in His plan? Does it go against his will?

Let's say a married couple have been trying to have a child for a long time. Both of them are fertile but have not been unable to conceive.
She's in her mid 30s and the clock is ticking...

Is it acceptable in God's eyes to use IVF?

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well many of the generation older than me grew up around the expression ‘ lie back and think of England ‘ - in others words ‘ be quiet and just fulfil your role ‘ that generation had many men who were dominant in character - it was all about their needs .....my father in law was very much like that at times.
They were not believers, so I have no idea if that was the way within christian marriage. .....
Rita

Agree...very Victorian. It was all about the men, women were nothing. Even when my own parents married it still kinda hung over them. They never talked about 'those things'.
My mum told me that when my dad wanted a second child ( me) he wrote to her and said .." Shall we buy a pram for Christmas ? "
He was a very quiet man, it didn't make for a happy marriage.
My mum didn't tell me any of this until I was married and had my own kids.

On my wedding day, my mum's words of advice as she she zipped up my wedding dress was - " Expect nothing and you wont be disappointed. " LOL

Reactions: Rita
R

Rita

Agree...very Victorian. It was all about the men, women were nothing. Even when my own parents married it still kinda hung over them. They never talked about 'those things'.
My mum told me that when my dad wanted a second child ( me) he wrote to her and said .." Shall we buy a pram for Christmas ? "

On my wedding day, my mum's words of advice as she she zipped up my wedding dress was - " Expect nothing and you wont be disappointed. " LOL
Well, I don’t think that advice was needed in the end was it, all marriages have bad times, but I would guess you and Dave have been have a good relationship x
Rita xx

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I suppose wordlessly leaving condoms on the table would be one way of leaving a spousal hint, but better to use words, I guess...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago, as a newlywed and before I was a Christian we had somebody from a charity - I think it was Oxfam - come to our door and ask us to contribute a small amount each month in order to supply contraceptives to Ethiopia or some other country where there was famine and too large a birth rate to cope. We were happy to give this small amount on a regular basis but after a few weeks they stopped collecting because the Catholic church had deemed it sinful so women had to watch new-borns die of starvation. How can that be Godly or right or righteous?

Reactions: Stan B