Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why did God take Onan's life... Was it for breaking the Leviticus law (motive) or for spilling his seed (action)

I did explain that the breaking of the Leviticus laws are not punishable by death. Was see this in Deuteronomy 25:7-10
That being the case, spilling the seed becomes a very probable reason

As for the Billings method I also described that in the post you responded to

And I was explaining that the bit about Onan and contraception were two different issues.

Reactions: Sabertooth

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not much to elaborate on. Nowhere in the Bible is abortion forbidden, and that’s the law I go by.

Adam did not become a living being until God breathed into the nostrils the breath of life. “The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being” (Genesis 2:7). Adam did not become a living being until then. God breathed into the nostrils of man his spirit, which who a person really is. The body dies and returns to dust, while the spirit lives on forever. "Man's body returns to the dust from whence it came; and the spirit returns to God who gave it." Ecclesiastes 12:7

"For the body apart from the spirit is dead" James 2:26 )

So until God has breathed into the fetus the breath/spirit of life, God says it is dead!
Stan, your last statement is a violation of the text. Not only is it that but it seeks to justify a logic that is illogical.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quiverfull. We avoid medically unnecessary contraception, trusting that we cannot produce any children except those that God wants us to have; that He opens & closes the womb. And they'll stop coming when He stops sending them (unless our bodies fail us first).

(And not all QF families are large, either.)

It is a different paradigm than the world's. God creates people deliberately (with purpose), not just as an obligation because a couple had "unprotected" sex.

⚤ ♀♂♂♂♂♂♀♂♂⎛♀⎞♂♀♂♂♂

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are horrible acts that aren't forbidden by the bible. Just mentioning them would be against forum policy. Too graphic
Does that mean such acts are acceptable?
Hmmm, now you’ve piqued my curiosity.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quiverfull. We avoid medically unnecessary contraception, trusting that we cannot produce any children except those that God wants us to have; that He opens & closes the womb. And they'll stop coming when He stops sending them (unless our bodies fail us first).

(And not all QF families are large, either.)

It is a different paradigm than the world's. God creates people deliberately (with purpose), not just as an obligation because a couple had "unprotected" sex.

⚤ ♀♂♂♂♂♂♀♂♂⎛♀⎞♂♀♂♂♂
My son's quiver is very full. He has 12 children. I quiver at what it costs me to buy presents for them all.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But the "death" judgment is unprecedented. Normally, the refusal to provide an heir was frowned upon, but nobody died [Deuteronomy 25:5-10]. That is why I think that this case had something different going on.

The only thing that jumps out at me is the obstruction to the lineage of Jesus.
I wonder if that’s the case seeing the lineage of Jesus doesn’t strictly adhere to the physical factor.... it adheres to the line of faith, Ruth the Moabitess comes to mind.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gen 1:28, 9:1,7; 35:11 – from the beginning, the Lord commands us to be fruitful (“fertile”) and multiply. A husband and wife fulfill God’s plan for marriage in the bringing forth of new life, for God is life itself.

Gen. 28:3 – Isaac’s prayer over Jacob shows that fertility and procreation are considered blessings from God.

Gen. 38:9 – also, the author’s usage of the graphic word “seed,” which is very uncharacteristic for Hebrew writing, further highlights the reason for Onan’s death.

Exodus 23:25-26; Deut. 7:13-14 – God promises blessings which include no miscarriages or barrenness. Children are blessings from God, and married couples must always be open to God’s plan for new life with every act of marital intimacy.

Lev.18:22-23;20:13 – wasting seed with non-generative sexual acts warrants death. Many Protestant churches, which have all strayed from the Catholic Church, reject this fundamental truth (few Protestants and Catholics realize that contraception was condemned by all of Christianity – and other religions – until the Anglican church permitted it in certain cases at the Lambeth conference in 1930. This opened the floodgates of error).

1 Chron. 25:5 – God exalts His people by blessing them with many children. When married couples contracept, they are declaring “not your will God, but my will be done.”

Psalm 127:3-5 – children are a gift of favor from God and blessed is a full quiver. Married couples must always be open to God’s precious gift of life. Contraception, which shows a disregard for human life, has lead to the great evils of abortion, euthanasia, and infanticide.

Hosea 9:11; Jer. 18:21 – God punishes Israel by preventing pregnancy. Contraception is a curse, and married couples who use contraception are putting themselves under the same curse.

Mal. 2:14 – marriage is not a contract (which is a mere exchange of property or services). It is a covenant, which means a supernatural exchange of persons. Just as God is three in one, so are a husband and wife, who become one flesh and bring forth new life, three in one. Marital love is a reflection of the Blessed Trinity.

Mal. 2:15 – What does God desire? Godly offspring. What is contraception? A deliberate act against God’s will. With contraception, a couple declares, “God may want an eternal being created with our union, but we say no.” Contraception is a grave act of selfishness.

Matt. 19:5-6 – Jesus said a husband and wife shall become one. They are no longer two, but one, just as God is three persons, yet one. The expression of authentic marital love reintegrates our bodies and souls to God, and restores us to our original virginal state (perfect integration of body and soul) before God.

Matt. 19:6; Eph. 5:31 – contraception prevents God’s ability to “join” together. Just as Christ’s love for the Church is selfless and sacrificial, and a husband and wife reflect this union, so a husband and wife’s love for each other must also be selfless and sacrificial. This means being open to new life.

Acts 5:1-11 – Ananias and Sapphira were slain because they withheld part of a gift. Fertility is a gift from God and cannot be withheld.

Rom.1:26-27 – sexual acts without the possibility of procreation is sinful. Self-giving love is life-giving love, or the love is a lie. The unitive and procreative elements of marital love can never be divided, or the marital love is also divided, and God is left out of the marriage.

1 Cor. 6:19-20 – the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit; thus, we must glorify God in our bodies by being open to His will.

1 Cor. 7:5 – this verse supports the practice of natural family planning (“NFP”). Married couples should not refuse each other except perhaps by agreement for a season, naturally.

Gal. 6:7-8 – God is not mocked for what a man sows. If to the flesh, corruption. If to the Spirit, eternal life.

Eph. 5:25 – Paul instructs husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the Church, by giving his entire body to her and holding nothing back. With contraception, husbands tell their wives, I love you except your fertility, and you can have me except for my fertility. This love is a lie because it is self-centered, and not self-giving and life-giving.

Eph. 5:29-31; Phil. 3:2 – mutilating the flesh (e.g., surgery to prevent conception) is gravely sinful. Many Protestant churches reject this most basic moral truth.

1 Tim. 2:15 – childbearing is considered a “work” through which women may be saved by God’s grace.

Deut. 22:13-21 – these verses also show that God condemns pre-marital intercourse. The living expression of God’s creative love is reserved for a sacramental marriage between one man and one woman.

Rev. 9:21; 21:8; 22:15; Gal. 5:20 – these verses mention the word “sorcery.” The Greek word is “pharmakeia” which includes abortifacient potions such as birth control pills. These pharmakeia are mortally sinful. Moreover, chemical contraception does not necessarily prevent conception, but may actually kill the child in the womb after conception has occurred (by preventing the baby from attaching to the uterine wall). Contraception is a lie that has deceived millions, but the Church is holding her arms open wide to welcome back her children who have strayed from the truth.
CONTRACEPTION - Scripture Catholic

further reading:
Birth Control
Your post Illuminator has many half truths; some are misleading or directly erroneous. A check of your biblical references with your interpretations brings that to light.

It is the mix of error and truth that enables the deception which the history of the RCC is well known for.

Am I against Catholics? An unequivocal No but I am against error that masquerades as truth.

Reactions: Helen
R

Rita

@Rita I reckon that you were surprised but soon felt very blessed by the 4th child! One never knows...

As if to say, God is still God...
It took awhile, I was very unwell with the sickness for most of the pregnancy .......of course I wouldn’t be with out Daniel now, and felt blessed once the pregnancy was over ... and as my twin brother an his wife had lost five in pregnancy, and never were blessed with children .....it soon puts that gift into prospective.
Rita

Reactions: Helen and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It took awhile, I was very unwell with the sickness for most of the pregnancy .......of course I wouldn’t be with out Daniel now, and felt blessed once the pregnancy was over ... and as my twin brother an his wife had lost five in pregnancy, and never were blessed with children .....it soon puts that gift into prospective.
Rita
@Rita Oh sorry you had a hard time; sad about your brother and his wife. But like you said in the long term you felt blessed, right.

Re. the sickness, it's understandable why previously you had wanted control over conception. (Sometimes men don't just realize how difficult the 9 months can be.)

R

Rita

@Rita Oh sorry you had a hard time; sad about your brother and his wife. But like you said in the long term you felt blessed, right.

Re. the sickness, it's understandable why previously you had wanted control over conception. (Sometimes men don't just realize how difficult the 9 months can be.)
Yes, that was one of the factors, thankfully my husband also understood. His mum had been ill through all six of her pregnancies.....my daughter also through hers....sadly she was so ill that she has never been able to face another pregnancy.
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, that was one of the factors, thankfully my husband also understood. His mum had been ill through all six of her pregnancies.....my daughter also through hers....sadly she was so ill that she has never been able to face another pregnancy.
Rita
@Rita Well, I'm sure there have been some experiences and heartaches there with the various times of those in your extended family being expectant.

Years ago bc wasn't as available as now; though it was to an extent; just different in context and a different era, I guess.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your post Illuminator has many half truths; some are misleading or directly erroneous. A check of your biblical references with your interpretations brings that to light.
You assert "misleading or directly erroneous" but offer no proof. They are not interpretations but a brief exegesis of the text, as the site explains. And you offer no "correct" interpretations. Put up, or shut up.
It is the mix of error and truth that enables the deception which the history of the RCC is well known for.
According to who? Your made-in-America religion founded 200 years ago that constantly destroys its own credibility? Again, you give no evidence. Contraception and abortion are twin evils in our culture of death, the Catholic Church stands alone in her teaching on human sexuality, too many women and children suffer from family breakdown and you call the Church's concern a deception because of ignorance.
Am I against Catholics? An unequivocal No but I am against error that masquerades as truth.
What you claim to be against doesn't exist. Just stupid cardboard caricatures invented by the JW's.

R

Rita

Well many of the generation older than me grew up around the expression ‘ lie back and think of England ‘ - in others words ‘ be quiet and just fulfil your role ‘ that generation had many men who were dominant in character - it was all about their needs .....my father in law was very much like that at times.
They were not believers, so I have no idea if that was the way within christian marriage. .....
Rita

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder if that’s the case seeing the lineage of Jesus doesn’t strictly adhere to the physical factor.... it adheres to the line of faith, Ruth the Moabitess comes to mind.

Lineage is passed on patrilineally Ruth, a Moabite by birth and great-grandmother of King David, married Boaz, the son of the Canaanite harlot Rahab. :)

Boaz >> Obed >> Jesse >> David

Matrilineal descent is totally unimportant. When Matthew records the legal genealogy of Jesus, only the male line is mentioned.

Only the male Y chromosome is passed on intact from generation to generation. The female X chromosome is the genetic modifier.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well many of the generation older than me grew up around the expression ‘ lie back and think of England ‘ - in others words ‘ be quiet and just fulfil your role ‘ that generation had many men who were dominant in character - it was all about their needs .....my father in law was very much like that at times.
They were not believers, so I have no idea if that was the way within christian marriage. .....
Rita
@Rita Now you mention it, I've heard that phrase; hadn't thought of it in years.

I can understand you saying that after a number of children you wanted control, anyway.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You assert "misleading or directly erroneous" but offer no proof. They are not interpretations but a brief exegesis of the text, as the site explains. And you offer no "correct" interpretations. Put up, or shut up.
According to who? Your made-in-America religion founded 200 years ago that constantly destroys its own credibility? Again, you give no evidence. Contraception and abortion are twin evils in our culture of death, the Catholic Church stands alone in her teaching on human sexuality, too many women and children suffer from family breakdown and you call the Church's concern a deception because of ignorance.

What you claim to be against doesn't exist. Just stupid cardboard caricatures invented by the JW's.
The truth of a matter is determined by its own witness. If you were interested I would put forward my case but as it is your efforts are consumed in self justification.

Just to clarify, I have not commented either for or against contraception/abortion. My focus was on your use of texts to make them say what I do not see them as saying. Yours is a slippery principle.

Your play with words as in exegesis/interpretation as if they are not connected reaffirms the slipperiness.

Your mention of JW’s with the implication that I have an association there further underpins your error.

Anyway, I have been down this road before and nothing is achieved by butting heads.
I have made my observations and stand by them.
If others are bothered to check your biblical references and your exegesis/interpretation, they can decide for themselves where the truth or error lies.