Is it a sin to use contraception?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

R

Rita

Well I wasn’t a Christian at first .....and I was pregnant before I got married....that’s a good start !!!!i
I used different kinds of birth control, one I found out aborted every month ( had no idea ) I was a Christian by then, so had it removed straight away......
I suffer with hyperhemesis ( sickness for the full nine months ) so I simply didn’t want to get pregnant , and I wanted the control on the issue - after three children I chose to be sterilised ...........one year later God decided that I needed to have four children ( despite no problem with the operation I became pregnant !!!! )
The clips on my Fallopian tube ( only had one due to cysts ) were in place .......
I do not have an issue with birth control, as in my case, if God wants you to have more children he will enable it to happen !!!!!! ( I firmly believe that Daniel was a gift ......along with all my children ) x
Rita

Reactions: Sabertooth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well I wasn’t a Christian at first .....and I was pregnant before I got married....that’s a good start !!!!i
I used different kinds of birth control, one I found out aborted every month ( had no idea ) I was a Christian by then, so had it removed straight away......
I suffer with hyperhemesis ( sickness for the full nine months ) so I simply didn’t want to get pregnant , and I wanted the control on the issue - after three children I chose to be sterilised ...........one year later God decided that I needed to have four children ( despite no problem with the operation I became pregnant !!!! )
The clips on my Fallopian tube ( only had one due to cysts ) were in place .......
I do not have an issue with birth control, as in my case, if God wants you to have more children he will enable it to happen !!!!!! ( I firmly believe that Daniel was a gift ......along with all my children ) x
Rita
@Rita Just goes to show that God is indeed sovereign! There is the saying that man proposes but God disposes, in the sense that He carries out His perfect will.

Some devices and procedures are more problematic than others; a lot of ppl would say that condoms are less problematic, although in which case for the wife it's partly the case of being able to trust the husband's commitment to using them. 2c... (I guess in the end everything has its downside, in one way or another.)

But yes, the sovereignty of God is such an important aspect, indeed, isn't it?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well this is getting all rather hypothetical, of course...
What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer? | CDC

Risk Factors You Can Change
  • Not being physically active. Women who are not physically active have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
  • Being overweight or obese after menopause. Older women who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than those at a normal weight.
  • Taking hormones. Some forms of hormone replacement therapy (those that include both estrogen and progesterone) taken during menopause can raise risk for breast cancer when taken for more than five years. Certain oral contraceptives (birth control pills) also have been found to raise breast cancer risk.
  • Reproductive history. Having the first pregnancy after age 30, not breastfeeding, and never having a full-term pregnancy can raise breast cancer risk.
  • Drinking alcohol. Studies show that a woman’s risk for breast cancer increases with the more alcohol she drinks.

Research suggests that other factors such as smoking, being exposed to chemicals that can cause cancer, and changes in other hormones due to night shift working also may increase breast cancer risk.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didn’t have that problem xx
I just wasn’t willing to trust the condom, and, if I am honest disliked them x
@Rita Well, yes, of course, you're right; some wives, even if the husband is willing to, will ask them not to wear them.

It then kind of puts it back in her court, so to speak. The control that many wives do want.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What Are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer? | CDC

Risk Factors You Can Change
  • Not being physically active. Women who are not physically active have a higher risk of getting breast cancer.
  • Being overweight or obese after menopause. Older women who are overweight or obese have a higher risk of getting breast cancer than those at a normal weight.
  • Taking hormones. Some forms of hormone replacement therapy (those that include both estrogen and progesterone) taken during menopause can raise risk for breast cancer when taken for more than five years. Certain oral contraceptives (birth control pills) also have been found to raise breast cancer risk.
  • Reproductive history. Having the first pregnancy after age 30, not breastfeeding, and never having a full-term pregnancy can raise breast cancer risk.
  • Drinking alcohol. Studies show that a woman’s risk for breast cancer increases with the more alcohol she drinks.

Research suggests that other factors such as smoking, being exposed to chemicals that can cause cancer, and changes in other hormones due to night shift working also may increase breast cancer risk.
Interesting; I guess I was thinking particularly of condom problems, though, which are not widely discussed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, one thing is ‘ don’t have sex ‘ !!! Lol
@Rita Well, for the Christian, this might be the advice for the unmarried, but not for the married....

When young ppl aren't Christian, though, but are active, it's a dilemma: important not to do it at all; but if done, with condoms/bc. The Christian parent will likely be very unwilling to be seen as encouraging it before they are married.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I did make my comment with a ‘ lol ‘ - I was being sarcastic about it being the only way to make it 100% safe xx
@Rita Oh I know. :)

I do take your point about not liking condoms. Even though in some ways they may be less problematic than other forms of bc. Some married couples just don't like them at all.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are the social distancing rules helping with B.C.? We will have the facts by this time next year to be able to come to an understanding of the effectiveness of that idea.

Reactions: Sabertooth

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The "Billings method" is just another name for natural family planning.
Unfortunately, the idea that "a woman is only fertile for a few days per month" can give people the wrong impression. In fact, sperm survive for up to a week in the woman's body, so you can have sex a whole week before ovulation and get pregnant! In practice, this means that a couple have to avoid sex for 9-10 days each cycle. (A cycle is normally 28 days). Then most couples prefer not to have sex during the woman's period, so that knocks off another 5-7 days. And then a lot of women have shorter cycles than 28 days...

Who would have thought that making babies was so complicated?