Is it Biblical to cry and get upset?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL

I feel like I have to wait because my kids are not asleep yet, and I have some chores to do first, and I can't be unhinged yet

knock knock
Who’s there?
God.
Yes, what is it?
Cry.
Okay Lord, but you’ll have to wait until after I do the dishes and vacuum.
Oh sure, sorry to bother you.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.
When I developed the eating disorder I would shove all emotional responses down with food because I didn’t know how to deal with my feelings. Part of the healing process was to embrace the array of emotions that are part of me being who I am as a person. Crying before the Lord is never wasted because you are releasing pain from inside and trusting the Lord with those tears. You may feel you are not achieving anything, but. The Lord collects all our tears….they can be about release or about needs ( so they can be a form of prayer )
Crying is making yourself vulnerable …many people don’t know how to handle others when they cry, but Jesus is like the perfect friend, he just allows you the space to release things….
you bet we are allowed to cry…………and that includes men as well, how many are so messed up because society tells them it’s weak to shed a tear. Rita

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, that my head were waters And my eyes a fountain of tears, That I might weep day and night For those slain of the daughter of my people! (Jeremiah 9:1)

Some of the imprecatory Psalms are good if you're really angry at somebody, like the one ... no, I don't want to give that one.

Reactions: Wynona

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fluffy, i missed a lot of releasing moments because I was afraid of what others would do if I cried. Now I just go with the flow ……the times the Lord touched my heart with something in a service and I would just hold back because I feared being real at that moment. I would also put up walls……I can relate xx

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh, that my head were waters And my eyes a fountain of tears, That I might weep day and night For those slain of the daughter of my people! (Jeremiah 9:1)

Some of the imprecatory Psalms are good if you're really angry at somebody, like the one ... no, I don't want to give that one.
@Lambano The Psalms are so rich: the highs, the lows, the anguish, the triumph, the faith.....

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.

Being honest with oneself is the biggest step.

Is it not wonderful the grace of God? The love he shared by sending his son? To die on the cross for sinners like us? To be able to have connection with the Father through Jesus who didn’t just die on the cross, but was buried and resurrected again for us? That we may experience newness of life by faith ?

To be able to talk to God and lift our friends and families up to him, to help them in their life possibly to keep them safe, from harm, to help them on their paths and journey?

That Jesus himself accepts us as we are here and now, no matter our faults and struggles always there willingly to help and engage with us in love, compassion, mercy, peace to have rest and comfort in our souls?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Need to explain:

Are you saying that you heard God say you need to cry? As in, to let go, give up control? That sort of thing?

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Rita I guess an advantage in trying to exercise self control during a service can be that if others see my emotion rather overtly, then it can distract them from internalizing the spiritual lessons to be learned in an environment of Scripture and prayer.

(I read - a rather stark example, I admit - that Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Propaganda Chief, had a theory that the more anger that the Fuehrer expressed, the more inspiring it was. I think Dr. Goebbels was wrong, imho. And certainly has little or nothing to do with an environment of Scripture and prayer.)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cry when anyone sings about Jesus. I can’t sing along because I can’t stop crying. I cry when I talk with anyone about Him too. And most of the time in here I’m typing and crying. I used to think, oh, I think I can’t stop crying because He circumcised my heart and it’s still very tender? But it’s been over 15 years and it never stopped.

Ducky has a hard time crying and I can’t stop crying. Ah, we’re all just a big ole can of mixed nuts!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the one whom we need to remember @Lambano.

Sometimes we get caught up in our doctrines and what not placing aside Jesus and everything he had went through and done for the entirety of the human race. One mans act of love, for all people. Once for all time, so that anyone who believes on the Lord Jesus are deemed to be children of God.

That the Father loves and cares for his children, and always forever will… unless one decides to walk away, (of course he doesn’t stop loving them) but He will give you over if that is what one desires, losing the benefits that are given now, today. Abundant life by having God with you.

Those are some thoughts now.

Reactions: Wynona

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I cry when anyone sings about Jesus. I can’t sing along because I can’t stop crying. I cry when I talk with anyone about Him too. And most of the time in here I’m typing and crying. I used to think, oh, I think I can’t stop crying because He circumcised my heart and it’s still very tender? But it’s been over 15 years and it never stopped.

Ducky has a hard time crying and I can’t stop crying. Ah, we’re all just a big ole can of mixed nuts!

I can't talk about the exiled ten tribes without crying. But the exile is beginning to end.
If you don't know what I mean, read 2 Kings 17. The Lord has clearly and powerfully shown me that my ancestor was involved in the exile. He was a Levite priest.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have been the same way since I came to Christ at age 13. In churches, at times, my tears have been misread and misjudged by people around me, when actually, I'm just weeping from a grateful heart that He has shed His love on me. Other times, I just need to lay things out before Him and He's good with our tears.

Sometimes I feel like I do nothing but cry. But when we're crying out to Him, He's right there with us. And when we let go, the burden is so much lighter after we've touched Him, and received His touch.

But there have been times when there is something inside that feels so overwhelming that all the sudden, my emotions shut down .... it's like a defense mechanism, leftovers resulting from having survived severe traumas and learning to cope by dissociating.

The Lord knows our frame and He is still at work within us. He calls us to go to difficult places, to let go and trust He won't let us drown.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh, dear, I guess I shouldn't sing about Jesus around you. I'd hate to make a lady cry.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fluffy, people wanted me to roll on the floor laughing many years ago because they thought that was a sign of having the Holy Spirit. Some people believe that to receive from God when they are being prayed for they need to fall down onto the floor. Sometimes God just wants the person to soar like an eagle on the winds of the Holy Spirit.

I was at a remote community and people were praying for others in their "tongues" but when i went to pray for one of the elders of that community, all that I could do was cry and cry and cry over him, before any words came for him from the lord through me.

Over the years, I have been prompted to pray over very young babies and to bless them with my understanding of God's calling on their lives. Sometimes, all I do is just cry over them.

During one service I sensed that God wanted me to pray for a young child, around 4-6 years old, but I balked, that time because the extended family was there all around her. The sense to pray for her did not leave me and I stepped out with my Dutch courage and asked dad if I could pray for her. When I began crying and his daughter could not fathom out what was happening, her father stepped in and said that I needed to stop because I was scaring her. God was getting me to anoint her for ministry in the future. I caught up with the father a number of years later while she was still a young teenager and he told me of her passion for the things of God.

Another time I was with my wife and a friend of hers asked for prayer and all that I could do was cry over her. To explain what was happening, I was able to tell her that God was shedding His tears through my tears for her and that He knew of her pain. That He would be with her in all things.

Recently I was at a men's breakfast, and the leader asked for a volunteer, to pray for him after he had given his testimony and a number of people put up their hands and the leader chose me. When I put my hand on him to pray all that I could do was cry over him. Because I was crying, he and most in the room felt that I was the one who was actually in need of prayer and I had to tell him that this was normal for me and that God's tears for him were being shed through my tears and that those tears would become a healing for him.

Jerimiah's Book of Laminations is Jerimiah expressing his tears for Israel because of the visitation of Israel's iniquities of idolatrous worship of the fathers during the first two ages of their existence upon their children and their children's children during the following third and fourth age of their existence and that the Children would have to repent of their father's iniquities of Idolatrous worship as well as their own iniquities of idolatrous worship as well that they have committed during the third and the fourth age of their existence.

God does call intercessors to a ministry of tears for the people that live around them and it can be a ministry of prayer in the form of shedding God's tears over the people that live around them. This calling of tears can be very difficult to explain to others as culturally it is considered not to be normal behaviour for a person to publicly cry over others. When we have this type of ministry, we have to follow the prompting of the Lord in all that we do, and let Him justify our display of tears for other people. Often we will not know why God has us crying over others. However, if God calls us to this type of ministry, all we can do is be obedient to His prompting and let God take care of the rest of what is going on around us.

Shalom

PS: Fluffy, be diligent in your discernment of what people may tell you to do and hand their advice over to God to sort out the advice that you should give heed too and follow.

Reactions: DuckieLady