Is it Biblical to cry and get upset?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
cry! and get upset."
he said that you need to cry and get upset? at first i don't think those things came from God at all i also think that those who cries are the one who have little faith because God already knows so why do you need to get upset? God heard you it's you who can't hear him but if ever God did gave you those answer then it's not literal

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being honest with oneself is the biggest step.
And to add to previous comment with what @MatthewG says here-

I haven't been honest with myself, yes, but also I may have shut out the possibility of God healing the hurt by refusing to come to Him like a daughter/father relationship and felt rejected instead.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.

I hate to cry maam, and fight it perhaps because I am a man, which really gives me a headache. But it is a natural emotion created into us, and it serves as somewhat of a comforting release. Of course it does not relieve us of the problem that was behind it, but simply gives us a measure of relief that we can face it more directly. Usually time is the biggest release of our reasons for crying.

I had a friend tell me the other day that almost everytime something happens in his life that is extremely stressful, that something better comes along. I am 67 yrs old and thought back, and that is true in my life as well. Time heals all wounds, and in the near future our problems usually become distant memories. hope that helps.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been the same way since I came to Christ at age 13. In churches, at times, my tears have been misread and misjudged by people around me, when actually, I'm just weeping from a grateful heart that He has shed His love on me. Other times, I just need to lay things out before Him and He's good with our tears.

Sometimes I feel like I do nothing but cry. But when we're crying out to Him, He's right there with us. And when we let go, the burden is so much lighter after we've touched Him, and received His touch.

But there have been times when there is something inside that feels so overwhelming that all the sudden, my emotions shut down .... it's like a defense mechanism, leftovers resulting from having survived severe traumas and learning to cope by dissociating.

The Lord knows our frame and He is still at work within us. He calls us to go to difficult places, to let go and trust He won't let us drown.

I know that dissociating thing. I didn’t have severe traumas but I couldn’t figure out the whole social system and social cues thing where you lie but pretend you aren’t lying and everyone is supposed to pretend you aren’t lying and encourage you in the lie as if it were true and then bully you if you can’t play the game or won’t play the game because you don’t understand why it’s played. I remember trying to play it to please my mother but since I didn’t understand when I was supposed to lie for her and when I was supposed to tell the truth for her, because I couldn’t figure that part out, she still got mad at me. I just never have understood why something that’s not functional or helpful or real is prized. So at a pretty young age, I just turned myself off from all the crazy noise and static and I did not turn myself back on.

You’re right, He knows our frame. :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he said that you need to cry and get upset? at first i don't think those things came from God at all i also think that those who cries are the one who have little faith because God already knows so why do you need to get upset? God heard you it's you who can't hear him but if ever God did gave you those answer then it's not literal

Well, she’s said she’s positive it was God, so you certainly won’t convince her.
As for crying being little trust - maybe- but even if so, if your trust needs grown, Gods the one who grows it so…who else WOULD you cry to?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.

Jesus wept.

My pastor pointed out that our God is an emotional God.

I think it comes down to a balance between being emotional with exercising emotional responsibility. Crying randomly is not good. Holding my daughter and granddaughter for the 1st time was very emotional and with good reason tears came to my eyes. Hope this helps.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can relate, in a different way, but sort of the same.

I had a hand around my neck once for saying "duh" while crying as a teenager after my aunt died.

Wasn't a big deal, but I never cried around people again and I don't traditionally mourn loss, so the one time I couldn't hold back- it was like a lot of build up REALLY came out at once and I couldn't regulate it.

I thought it was just me but luckily I matured enough to realize that it wasn't just me, I was relying on and trusting the wrong people with my heart.

And with people in my life everything I feel is wrong, because I'm a woman, so there isn't any point in feeling anything.

Now I sort of keep this verse in mind when it comes to vulnerability in love.

Songs of Solomon 8:4

"Do not awaken love until it pleases."

Yep. Seeing God through the lens of humans. Since they hurt me, He might too.
I think Santa Claus hurt me. The betrayal when I found out I’d been lied to about him and the tooth fairy made me say about God, oh, it’s probably another lie they’re telling me. It’s almost like a carefully planned out set up so that when you DO hear something true, you won’t believe it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can relate, in a different way, but sort of the same.

I had a hand around my neck once for saying "duh" while crying as a teenager after my aunt died.

Wasn't a big deal, but I never cried around people again and I don't traditionally mourn loss, so the one time I couldn't hold back- it was like a lot of build up REALLY came out at once and I couldn't regulate it.

I thought it was just me but luckily I matured enough to realize that it wasn't just me, I was relying on and trusting the wrong people with my heart.

And with people in my life everything I feel is wrong, because I'm a woman, so there isn't any point in feeling anything.

Now I sort of keep this verse in mind when it comes to vulnerability in love.

Songs of Solomon 8:4

"Do not awaken love until it pleases."

We weren’t allowed to show emotions that my mom thought portrayed her badly, like anger or tears. We were there to…make her look good to other people. We also weren’t allowed to be sick. I mean, when you’re sick, you’re sick but…you felt her disapproval when you were.

They call it covert narcissism but I think it’s really just the broken human condition, which some really take to more extreme.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. Seeing God through the lens of humans. Since they hurt me, He might too.
I think Santa Claus hurt me. The betrayal when I found out I’d been lied to about him and the tooth fairy made me say about God, oh, it’s probably another lie they’re telling me. It’s almost like a carefully planned out set up so that when you DO hear something true, you won’t believe it.
Wow I can totally see that. I haven't had that exact experience myself but that mindset that it would bring, I can totally understand.

Writing post #47 definitely turned on the faucet for me (I guess I found it) so I am going to handle it and then I'll be back.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow I can totally see that. I haven't had that exact experience myself but that mindset that it would bring, I can totally understand.

Writing post #47 definitely turned on the faucet for me (I guess I found it) so I am going to handle it and then I'll be back.

Oh, that turned my faucet on too. When you see that the hand around your throat wasn’t personal but was just the broke human condition, it releases a lot of your anger and grudges and you can instead feel compassion for people. And that, especially when he lets you see you are just as broke as everyone else. You were raised by broke people who were raised by broke people. You can look out the window and see the rows and rows and blocks and blocks of houses and in every one of them are broke people needing God to make their minds sound and retrained and free of defense mechanisms against Him.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning of my journey, The Lord told me about my walls. And then one day, I looked around, and could not find them anywhere. His Love tore them down when I wasn't paying attention. Love doesn't build walls, it tears them down so that Love can flow in and out. "And I will finish the work I started in you" Tears have become part of this journey because of the state of man, and yet the joy is unspeakable and the peace surpasses understanding. Let not the sun go down on your wrath and it is ok to get angry(upset), but sin not. And forgive them all, as truly they know not what they do. Blessings to all.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were up to me i would tie the tails of foxes together and burn down every false doctrine .
All i can do is expose the false doctrine .
I would burn every book of every false religion , every teaching of any man that was ever put in a book .
From all witchcraft to all error and would watch all the books burn in the largest bon fire the world has ever seen .
But its just not possible for me to do that . BUT since we are on that note . IT might get real cold this january and februrary
so if any knows of any harry potter books or rick warren books , or muslim korans and etc
mail them to my house . I will light a bon fire and keep warm .

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were up to me i would tie the tails of foxes together and burn down every false doctrine .
All i can do is expose the false doctrine .
I would burn every book of every false religion , every teaching of any man that was ever put in a book .
From all witchcraft to all error and would watch all the books burn in the largest bon fire the world has ever seen .
But its just not possible for me to do that . BUT since we are on that note . IT might get real cold this january and februrary
so if any knows of any harry potter books or rick warren books , or muslim korans and etc
mail them to my house . I will light a bon fire and keep warm .
Lol! Believe me I gladly would!

:D