Is it Biblical to cry and get upset?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may be right with those lyrics... Lol.

I am starting to think you're being led by the spirit to get me out of my own thinking and making up my own mind. (Because I might be making the wrong choice? Is that it?)

I love sudoku.
I don't want to take this to the intellectual level because we aren't dealing with a mind thing, we are exploring a heart thing. You are inviting me to look into my own heart box and that's where we are going. But before we go there, we need a map and a compass.

An invitation to look into the heart box is like an invitation to go swimming. After all, those in the water seem to be enjoying themselves and while some people jump right in; other people walk up to the water's edge and stick one toe in. Some of us who jump into the deep end, suddenly find they can't swim and as they begin to sink to the bottom (is there a bottom?) they reach for the surface as it pulls away from view. Some of us are lucky. We see a hand reach down, pleading for us to take hold; while others get so deep, the light has gone from their eyes.

Some of us don't want to go swimming. We are content to stand at the water's edge to see what we will see. (What will we see in the water? Will we see the bottom?) Some people see nothing but a shallow basin; others see a deep dark pool. Only the fortunate ones see their own reflection on the surface of the water. (was it a trick of light?)

Now as I sit next to the water's edge, I can't shake this feeling that I am not alone; someone is watching me.

I sit by the cutting on the Beaconsfield line.
He's watching me watching the trains go by.
And they move so fast, boy, they really fly.
He's still watching me watching you
Watching the trains go by.*

Not only am I the "looker" standing by the edge of the water, I am also the looker, watching the "looker" as he stands at the water's edge, watching the water. And as I look at what I see in my heart box, I can feel the man's gaze as if it were a restless malice, watching me watching the water.

And the way he stares: feel like locking my door
And pulling my phone from the wall.

Now, desperate to leave, I panic; but my legs forgot their master. I'm frozen at the water's edge, forced to look, and the anguish is unbearable, but the man bids me to keep looking. He has taken me to the looking glass, forcing me to agree with the implications of what I see. But I can't make sense of what I see and I despair that I will never know. The man attempts to help me.

And the crowd thins and he moves up close but he doesn't speak.
I have to look the other way.
But curiosity gets the better part of me and I peek:
Got two drinks in his hand see his lips move
What the hell's he trying to say?

I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
Romans 7:21-24

Standing frozen at the looking glass, I suddenly sensed another man, watching me, watching the one by the water, watching his reflection in the water. I saw ugly in my heart box, and I wondered whether the other man felt about it the way I felt about it. Suddenly, as the situation became unbearable, the man watching the water fell headlong into the pool, and as the surface fell away, a hand reached out as if pleading to take hold . . .

Have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if anyone wants to know how this turned out, it turned out well for me, and I did follow in obedience and now I have a sense of peace.

Christmas is probably one of the hardest and disappointing holidays to get through every year so maybe I was just meant to deal with it before then.

I'm really anxious to get started on my own stuff right now, and feeling positive about it, so I'm not even going to wait for the holidays to end. Just gonna jump straight in.

So Merry Christmas everyone and have a good rest of the year :)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if anyone wants to know how this turned out, it turned out well for me, and I did follow in obedience and now I have a sense of peace.

Christmas is probably one of the hardest and disappointing holidays to get through every year so maybe I was just meant to deal with it before then.

I'm really anxious to get started on my own stuff right now, and feeling positive about it, so I'm not even going to wait for the holidays to end. Just gonna jump straight in.

So Merry Christmas everyone and have a good rest of the year :)
:):):):):)

Reactions: DuckieLady

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.

You begin your PREMISE, of YOU asking God WHY YOU do not TRUST Him.

THINK about that for a moment...
Why are you asking GOD, whom you do NOT TRUST, to answer you, AS IF YOU “would” TRUST His answer?

It’s like saying flat out, I don’t Trust you, will you tell me what to do....and WHAT? What do you expect God to do....? Try to talk you into Trusting Him?
It doesn’t work that way.

You have Freewill. Your Freewill is an expression of your desires.
Your Freewill expressed, was; You do not Trust God. The Why is irrelevant.

What was missing in the equation...was;
Your Freewill DESIRE to WANT TO TRUST God.

God does not Hear the voice of a man that does not belong to Him.

HOW God “already” has given men the knowledge of HOW TO fulfill a mans desire to Trust and Believe IN Him.

The “knowledge” revealed, for ANY man, WHO DESIRES to Trust and Believe IN God...is BY HEARING the Word of God...and in this day, (whereby individuals have unlimited access and ability to READ), they are HEARING the Word of God, by reading the Scriptures.

Every time, a individual HEARS (READS), the Word of God, God IS giving that individual a BLESSING, of a measure of Gods gift of FAITH.
Bit by bit, little by little, measure by measure....as the individual desires to HEAR the Word of God....God INCREASES Gods gift of FAITH.

See? It is NOT by a man ASKING God, to FIX his own Distrust....
It is EXPRESSLY by a man FIXING his own Distrust, (IF he so Desires to Trust God), by DOING what Scripture teaches....
Hear Gods Word, repeatedly, continually, and God WILL repeatedly, continually GIVE THAT MAN, Gods gift of continual INCREASE in FAITH.

Receiving INCREASE in Gods Gift of FAITH, IS precisely HOW God fulfills a “willing mans DESIRE”, to trust IN God, to believe IN God and to Forever BE “with God”.

And also WHY “some” men preach, everything hangs ON FAITH.

Glory to God,
Taken

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I was praying and I was asking God where am I just not trusting you and can you pinpoint this out to me, and I know for a fact I got back very clearly "cry! and get upset."

Need to explain:

I spent a lot of time crying to God and getting back nothing, to the point I put up big fat walls and cut myself off emotionally and numbed myself.

So I get it, but are there Biblical example of this? I need some encouragement before I am ready to go there emotionally. I am just really guarded about this and not sure how deep I am prepared to step into that.
I remember a Bible verse that said just, "Jesus wept." I think, though, we get into the habit of crying.