Is it Biblical to cry and get upset?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, the way you coordinated the Bears' video with the Bible story in order to convey your own deepest feelings was well-conceived and executed. Impressive. You have quite an array of talents.
Haha thanks @Lambano . It wasn't really intentional but my brain is all over the place and I've been going back to that video for years now.
:D

Okay, haven't read all the replies, but I was thinking of Samuel's mum sitting on the steps of the sanctuary when the priest thought she was drunk. Fluffy, I'm a 69yo
cry baby. Usually they're tears of joy, or love, or relief, but sometimes just downright exasperation and bewilderment. And guess what, I'm still married after 44 years. Can't be that bad.

@Lambano brought up Hannah recently, too. (1 Samuel 1, for anyone who is curious)

I wouldn't doubt that willingness for openness and vulnerability also made for a happier and healthier blessing of 44 years. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Gonna start using this exact same sentence but a little different as an explanation lol

tigerseye.png

e48d0297-113e-48dc-b403-c41c3aa26f47._CR0,0,356,356_UX460_.jpg

These are old and I quit though

(Sorry my younger face is in it, would have looked weird if I cropped it)
hi @FluffyYellowDuck So you did this painting? You have talent...

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hint: Edmond tried to remove his own scales without success.
e.g. opening one's own heart box.
This is going to sound weird but I feel like when I looked in my heart box, I cried a little, and then decided to get back into learning coding as a means of self-preservation.

It just seems like the most practical and constructive thing I can do. Lol

Because you can think emotionally and work on that part, but the moving forward part has to exist, too.

There's a song called Dust to Dust by the Civil Wars and the words go:

You've held your head up
You've fought the fight
You bear the scars
You've done your time
Listen to me
You've been lonely too long

Imma turn that word lonely to stagnant

"You've been stagnant too long"

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ooo, it's been a long time since I read Narnia!

I'd look it up, but it's in the bookcase in the spare bedroom, and we have guests for Christmas.:)
@Lambano Well, I was never into C S Lewis. When others read the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe stuff, it left me cold; and the Screwtape Letters seemed just weird.

But everyone is different, I guess...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks Farouk, yes. :) I was maybe 23 or so there, so it has been a long time. Loved pastels.

That tiger's eye was digital and done probably around 2014???

I haven't done anything in years. Don't think I could do it anymore.
@FluffyYellowDuck Well, with application I'm sure your talent could be reactivated, if you were so minded.

What with the bold lines and color contrasts that you express well, in some ways you could have become a successful tattoo artist.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've held your head up
You've fought the fight
You bear the scars
You've done your time
Listen to me

You know, it's strange that this subject should be getting addressed right now. I recall you and I exchanging music about some people from our pasts that we might be having to let go of soon. Remember that? Well I had some dreams - several in sequence this morning and a few last night - that I know were about that. Too much to get into, but the end result of it all was the realization that it is indeed very likely over, and after some prayer, that my course of action now is to invest in the Lord Himself completely as my one True Friend... that the days of hoping for deep friendships with my fellow man might be at an end (though I will likely always keep the door a little open).

Maybe that's not the "solution" other people would want to hear who have been lonely their whole lives, but it seems to be the one I am coming to lately, and not as some sort of consolation but rather as a spiritual progression that has now brought me to this place. Time will tell how well I can get used to it, because fellowshipping with the Lord is different, and harder than simply communicating directly to and with a human being. But I do believe it can get to the place where you hear Him continually, and that He can become closer to you interaction-wise than any human being could. It's just a matter of continuing to develop the ability to hear His voice and sense His leading incessantly.

Just talking out loud, but that seems to be what this thread has been good for.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the longer you walk with God the anger, tantrums and such will decrease. I use to be very high strung and and bad situations and bad things happening in my life would just send me over the edge and I would freak out cussing yelling and such. Now I just seem to roll with the punches. I am at peace. I know the Lord will take care of me and he will take care of you as well.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the longer you walk with God the anger, tantrums and such will decrease. I use to be very high strung and and bad situations and bad things happening in my life would just send me over the edge and I would freak out cussing yelling and such. Now I just seem to roll with the punches. I am at peace. I know the Lord will take care of me and he will take care of you as well.
@Mantis I do think if we consider a passage such as Isaiah 53, we get into perspective what the Lord underwent for us, and so our own sometimes intense seeming troubles are put into a faith perspective....

Reactions: Mantis

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats probably a good thing @Hidden In Him and I hope you find some healing in it, even if it isn't easy.

The sense I get is that there might be holes to fill there for you, some void, but I suspect that by praying about it, you will find a way to fill them.

You know, if I dug myself a hole to lay a garden bed, and I tried to fill that hole with cola, instead of the gardening soil, nothing could be planted there.

The seeds would be left swimming, there would be nothing for plants to even take root of, and the soda itself would not only be undrinkable, but it would also go flat very quickly.

(I had a Bang drink and my mind is a bit whooo so I'm hoping this is readable)

I feel like the Roald Dahl of thoughts

Well I didn't get your analogy, LoL, but I do agree there is a hole that has been there a very long time. Lonely almost since birth, and becoming born again never really did anything to change that. But I seem to be on this trajectory where I don't know how much anyone could fully go where I'm being called to walk anyway. And that's not to say I could go where everyone else is walking either. I know some on this forum whose lives I simply couldn't take well. But it's weird because I look back on my life and there have only been a few brief windows of time when I was truly happy. I enjoy my life as a Christian, like every day, so I'm not complaining. But truly happy? Not really. I honestly don't know how it happens... I get SO into things that I really like that when it's a person I tend to get obsessed, and that can't be healthy spiritually. More dangerous than anything else really. So if I can ever get to feeling like that with God, like 100%, I figure I'm gonna be in pretty good shape, LoL.

It's just a matter of getting there.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I didn't get your analogy, LoL, but I do agree there is a hole that has been there a very long time. Lonely almost since birth, and becoming born again never really did anything to change that. But I seem to be on this trajectory where I don't know how much anyone could fully go where I'm being called to walk anyway. And that's not to say I could go where everyone else is walking either. I know some on this forum whose lives I simply couldn't take well. But it's weird because I look back on my life and there have only been a few brief windows of time when I was truly happy. I enjoy my life as a Christian, like every day, so I'm not complaining. But truly happy? Not really. I honestly don't know how it happens... I get SO into things that I really like that when it's a person I tend to get obsessed, and that can't be healthy spiritually. More dangerous than anything else really. So if I can ever get to feeling like that with God, like 100%, I figure I'm gonna be in pretty good shape, LoL.

It's just a matter of getting there.

Let me message it to you in a few minutes- I have a few I haven't had time to respond to (hard for my brain to have direction) but I also wanted to tell you a short story of my dumb mistakes- it will be fun

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if I can ever get to feeling like that with God, like 100%, I figure I'm gonna be in pretty good shape, LoL.
Guessing I am "already there, in pretty good shape," as my frame of mind is:

Go to sleep thanking God For "the Greatest Day of my life Ever!" And, upon
waking again, repeat: thanking God For "the Greatest Day of my life Ever!"

But, that's just me, Eternally Secure In JESUS!! Amen?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is going to sound weird but I feel like when I looked in my heart box, I cried a little, and then decided to get back into learning coding as a means of self-preservation.

It just seems like the most practical and constructive thing I can do. Lol

Because you can think emotionally and work on that part, but the moving forward part has to exist, too.

There's a song called Dust to Dust by the Civil Wars and the words go:

You've held your head up
You've fought the fight
You bear the scars
You've done your time
Listen to me

Imma turn that word lonely to stagnant

"You've been stagnant too long"
I feel you.

May I share a song from my own generation?

https://genius.com/Kansas-carry-on-wayward-son-lyrics

"If I claim to be a wise man, well . . .
surely means that I don't know."

Edit: I solve Sudoku puzzles for the same reason you code, I think. Like coding, one knows that a Sudoku solution is possible. It's a game that has a predictable and sure outcome, unlike real life. Yes?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, not a good idea to tell a woman she shouldn’t feel the way she feels. Jeesh, aren’t you married?
By the way its a good idea to always correct and bring truth , to a man or a woman . Feelings can lead us astray , but the TRUTH
will only help us . always correct .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apply Phililpians 4:8 to these forums.

When posts are lovely, edifying, true, or of good report, I focus on those posts rather than threads where there's bound to be bad blood.

There are some lovely people on here. Its good to focus on good posts.
The only posts that are all of the above are the posts that confirm and agree to the TRUTH inspired by GOD .
To me that is the only lovely post . If it agrees with GOD , if it agrees with Christ
it if agrees with all sound doctrine . Now that is a LOVELY POST indeed .

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel you.

May I share a song from my own generation?

https://genius.com/Kansas-carry-on-wayward-son-lyrics

"If I claim to be a wise man, well . . .
surely means that I don't know."

Edit: I solve Sudoku puzzles for the same reason you code, I think. Like coding, one knows that a Sudoku solution is possible. It's a game that has a predictable and sure outcome, unlike real life. Yes?
You may be right with those lyrics... Lol.

I am starting to think you're being led by the spirit to get me out of my own thinking and making up my own mind. (Because I might be making the wrong choice? Is that it?)

I love sudoku.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Farouk, yes. :) I was maybe 23 or so there, so it has been a long time. Loved pastels.

That tiger's eye was digital and done probably around 2014???

I haven't done anything in years. Don't think I could do it anymore.
My wife went for years without painting anything. Apparently, her ex didn't like her expressing herself. When she got out of that situation and into a more loving and supportive environment, she was able to create again. But even now, the artistic impulse comes and goes. She's been in a dry spell now since before the Covid shutdowns.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Haha thanks @Lambano . It wasn't really intentional but my brain is all over the place and I've been going back to that video for years now.
:D

@Lambano brought up Hannah recently, too. (1 Samuel 1, for anyone who is curious)

I wouldn't doubt that willingness for openness and vulnerability also made for a happier and healthier blessing of 44 years. :)
Interesting that you mention vulnerability Fluff.
God is vulnerable....have we ever imagined that? His incarnation an exercise in ultimate vulnerability.....why should we imagine he is any different any other time?
Love is vulnerability. One cannot truly love without being vulnerable.
Has all the talk of a sovereign God eclipsed his heart in our understanding? Has all the talk of a God who chooses some and rejects others before they are born hardened us to the plight of our fellow man whereby justifying those in and those out mentality?

Oh yes, love is so vulnerable, it lets oneself be crucified when one has the power to resist.
This is where the power of God lies, not in that of overt force against the will of another but in allowing time for each side to fully expose themselves.

Last edited: