Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 7
18“Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.”(In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

This is a definitive statement.

Except for the "In saying this" part.

Any use of Scripture to deny this, makes the Bible contradict itself.

Not a definitive conclusion :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look, folks, I don't know why this always has to turn into a "You said: 'You have to do as I dictate or you cannot be saved'" straw man-type argument.

God told Israel not to eat unclean animals.
I really think there's sufficient evidence to support that it wasn't an arbitrary, temporary, purely ceremonial instruction.

If you disagree, that is certainly your God-given prerogative.

But there are millions of folks who are harmlessly convicted to let you know that that's a position you may one day look back on with deep regret, with the possible ramifications being temporal, eternal, or both, depending on your situation.

It's not a mugging—just a friendly, albeit potentially urgent caution sign.

Now, I've got some Ted Turner-owned, Hanna Barbera Bible cartoons to watch, 'cause I'm snowed in and can't make it to church. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it—for now.)

Bonus: I found the coolest copy-and-paste symbol dump that actually works on the forum software!

Cool Symbols & Cool Fonts - Symbols, Emoji & Fonts ✮✢❂✶✧

(I hope this doesn't get me in trouble.)

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's going to be very upsetting to Barney, Opie, and Ain't Bee! :Oh no:
That said, there was no refrigeration in those days and undercooked pork and certain shell fish can be deadly - trichinosis, etc. I think it was a law to protect their health more than anything spiritual. Unclean = parasites, germs, viruses.
Remember Daniel refused to eat the food ( delicacies) which was sacrificed to idols ( that was a spiritual no no). But also he wanted Ashpenaz to feed them vegetables and water only for ten days to test their health/appearance with that of the other servants.
Actually, at my age and with prostate problems, I might go vegan myself... all meat, even chicken and turkey create inflammation and red meat is no good for the heart. If you do indulge, organic, grass fed is the way to go, it doesn't contain hormones and antibiotics.
You will slim down too.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PXL-20240106-141548154.jpg

"While surveying the site of some ancient ruins..."

.​

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in Arizona. So many people say they are allergic to glutton, they won't touch this one. You have to buy a box of glutton to add extra to the whole wheat flour!

Strangely enough, my understanding is that most folks who say they are gluten intolerant have never been diagnosed as such. And a proper diagnosis involves a test that actually requires the presence of some gluten in the system to give a positive result for Celiac and, with 50% of Americans trying the gluten-free diet, many early developing Celiacs go undiagnosed—even with testing!

With all the rage about gluten, still only 1% of Americans have Celiac and less than 5% are estimated to have NGCS (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity), nearly all of whom would get relief by switching to organic wheat products since most NCGS (for which there is no test) folks are suffering from bowel inflammation caused by Glyphosate (pesticide/antibiotic) found in commercial wheat which is in nearly everything not found in the produce aisle or labeled "Gluten-free." The rest of NCGS sufferers are not so at all but simply inflamed by some other agent, usually with more than 15 letters in the food ingredient name.

All three of my other family members have been relieved from their distress by using only organic wheat products. The Glyphosate doesn't bother me, but I've always been pickier about what I eat than they are. :)

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What i wanna know is when did the physical components of pork products change?

God gave the dietary laws to protect man from eating things not good for him. Cause why did He do it if not that?

Then we have Peter and the sheet. If pork would've been declared clean, why does he come up with,I saw that we call no man common or unclean? Does that mean we can eat men? No! He was getting ready to meet Cornelius. You all know the story.

The reason I think the majority thinks its ok is because it is yummy. I have had bacon before, and it IS yummy, I like cracklin too, and lard makes a fantastic pie crust, but I don't eat it now, because I believe we are not supposed to.

The birds on the list are scavenger, and the animals in the sea are filter, so they have a lot of stuff in them.

You all can do what you want. No condemnation from me. But no one should be faulted for following the dietary laws.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strangely enough, my understanding is that most folks who say they are gluten intolerant have never been diagnosed as such. And a proper diagnosis involves a test that actually requires the presence of some gluten in the system to give a positive result for Celiac and, with 50% of Americans trying the gluten-free diet, many early developing Celiacs go undiagnosed—even with testing!

With all the rage about gluten, still only 1% of Americans have Celiac and less than 5% are estimated to have NGCS (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity), nearly all of whom would get relief by switching to organic wheat products since most NCGS (for which there is no test) folks are suffering from bowel inflammation caused by Glyphosate (pesticide/antibiotic) found in commercial wheat which is in nearly everything not found in the produce aisle or labeled "Gluten-free." The rest of NCGS sufferers are not so at all but simply inflamed by some other agent, usually with more than 15 letters in the food ingredient name.

All three of my other family members have been relieved from their distress by using only organic wheat products. The Glyphosate doesn't bother me, but I've always been pickier about what I eat than they are. :)

Many years ago my doctor tested me for about 20 different things to see what, if anything, I was allergic to. Come to find out I was allergic to everything except cabbage, corn and cats. So I just eat everything and don't worry about it.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What i wanna know is when did the physical components of pork products change?

God gave the dietary laws to protect man from eating things not good for him. Cause why did He do it if not that?

Then we have Peter and the sheet. If pork would've been declared clean, why does he come up with,I saw that we call no man common or unclean? Does that mean we can eat men? No! He was getting ready to meet Cornelius. You all know the story.

The reason I think the majority thinks its ok is because it is yummy. I have had bacon before, and it IS yummy, I like cracklin too, and lard makes a fantastic pie crust, but I don't eat it now, because I believe we are not supposed to.

The birds on the list are scavenger, and the animals in the sea are filter, so they have a lot of stuff in them.

You all can do what you want. No condemnation from me. But no one should be faulted for following the dietary laws.

In the Epistle of Barnabas, chapter 10, he wrote that it had to do with the pig's nature than its physical components. God always looks beyond the outer to the inward makeup.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look, folks, I don't know why this always has to turn into a "You said: 'You have to do as I dictate or you cannot be saved'" straw man-type argument.

So you don't think those who do NOT keep Saturday sabbath . . . are going to hell then?

The dietary restrictions were given under the Law of Moses just like Saturday sabbath was.

Just asking for a friend! :rolleyes:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Galatians 4
21Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the law? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

27For it is written,
“REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR;
BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR;
FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE
THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND.”

28And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.

30But what does the Scripture say?
“CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON,
FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN.”

31So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

Galatians 5
1It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. 4You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

7You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you. 9A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough. 10I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is. 11But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished. 12I wish that those who are troubling you would even mutilate themselves.

13For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” 15But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.
That was a lot of scripture. I understand what the scriptures mean, and have no issues with it. I'm wondering however if you understand what they are saying, because they bear little or no relation to the post you quoted. Care to explain what those scriptures actually mean to you, and why I should take notice?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Epistle of Barnabas, chapter 10, he wrote that it had to do with the pig's nature than its physical components. God always looks beyond the outer to the inward makeup.
EoB is not a Bible. and that makes no sense anyway. . God tried to protect Israel against eating things not good for them. Where does Peter yell out"Oh boy! Hot dogs, here I come?" He says what he learned---call no man common or unclean. How about all of the other gross things in the sheet?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EoB is not a Bible. and that makes no sense anyway. . God tried to protect Israel against eating things not good for them. Where does Peter yell out"Oh boy! Hot dogs, here I come?" He says what he learned---call no man common or unclean. How about all of the other gross things in the sheet?
Everyone could eat anything that moves on the earth from the flood until God commanded that they could only eat animals that were good for sacrifices. That caused them to be separated to God.

Then when God was going to extend the gospel to include Gentiles, God changed His law back to the time of the flood. It has never been commanded to go any further back than that.

I know the Church didn't include the EoB, but they should have. Why they didn't was because it includes a prophecy whose fulfillment was about 1,500 years away. By not including it they didn't have to believe the prophecy was from God. Interesting that we are now living in the time of its fulfillment. o_O

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No matter how you slice it, Saturday sabbath is NOT the rest Jesus came to provide His people under the New Covenant which is based on better promises now that we are IN Christ and He is IN us.
Correct. And not one sabbatarian I know would claim that it is. Straw man.
Mark 7
18“Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? 19For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.”(In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)
Jesus declared all food clean. Indeed He did. Since when though was pork ever classified as food? Swine/ bacon/pig/pork/shellfish etc was unclean yes, but not because it was arbitrary law, but because it was never intended to be eaten. It wasn't fit for food.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was a lot of scripture. I understand what the scriptures mean, and have no issues with it. I'm wondering however if you understand what they are saying, because they bear little or no relation to the post you quoted. Care to explain what those scriptures actually mean to you, and why I should take notice?
Paul himself is dead to the Law (Gal 2:19), and teaches Jewish believers the same (Ro 6:14, 7), and Gentile Christians certainly aren't under the Law (never were required to keep it--eg, its dietary restrictions), and Paul reprimands the Gentile Christians in Galatia for being under the Law (eg, observing its calendar), and wants them, instead, to serve one another by the faith God's Spirit produces in their hearts--that is being under Grace, in which God's righteousness is revealed from faith to faith (Ro 1:17, 14:5, 23).

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We really ought to try to stick to the topic.

Requirement for dietary restrictions, getting circumcised, Saturday sabbath, etc were all given under the Law of Moses so each are related and relevant.

The question is and what was addressed at the Counsel of Jerusalem was are Christians required to keep the Law of Moses to be saved which is what the judaizers were claiming prompting the Apostles to have a big meeting to address this claim.

Acts 15:1,5
And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

Okay. Did he subsequently teach that being dead to the law, Christians were therefore justified in disobeying it?

God's Word teaches the old covenant has been taken away and the Lord established the NEW covenant

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

God's Word teaches that Christians are NOT following Moses as their high priest because now we have a NEW High Priest Who is Jesus Christ?

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

We are noe under the Law of Christ, not the law of Moses
See Galatians 6:2, 1 Corinthians 9:21, James 2:12, James 1:25, Romans 8:2