Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isaiah 66:15-17 KJV:

[15] For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

[16] For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many.

[17] They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.

Pork fat burns hot and with a horrible stench. What a spectacle it will be when Jesus comes and burns it - and the people who eat it - up.
You overgeneralized and jumped to conclusions. See Those who sanctify themselves by eating pig’s flesh shall come to an end together and follow up there.

Reactions: Shittim

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you believe the Bible? Isaiah 66 describes the fiery Second Coming in which the Lord's glory destroys both idolatrous nature worshipers and swine eaters together. You can read it for yourself:

Isaiah 66:15-17 KJV​
[15] For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.​
[16] For by fire and by his sword ("out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He should smite the nations") will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many ("and the slain of the Lord at that day shall be from one end of the Earth even to the other end of the Earth").​
[17] They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.​
You overgeneralized and jumped to conclusions. See Those who sanctify themselves by eating pig’s flesh shall come to an end together and follow up there.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Mark 7:

Paul confirmed that in Romans 14:

More generally, Colossians 2:

Eating pork or shrimp is fine but you don't have to.

See also Dietary laws from Adam to the apostles.
Pork fat is king....

Ham and cheese is good and a staple....not to mention BACON!.

Shrimp cocktails?
Shrimp on the barbie?
Fettuccine with Shrimp?
Shrimp salad?
Oysters Rockefeller?

Oh I think I have to.....

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
It appears to me that Isa 66:17 condemns people eating swine and mice
relative to pagan rituals rather than sitting down to an ordinary meal.
_

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then there are... still laws that are to be enforced per Christian Doctrine, like God's laws against murder, rape, thefts, perjury, etc., things which Apostle Paul covered in 1 Timothy 1, 1 Corinthians 6, and Galatians 5 that he said one who does such things shall NOT enter the Kingdom of God.

So actually then, Brakelite is not twisting things. You are only showing your Bilblical ignorance.

No, that's is not how Apostle Paul taught about the law.

In Galatians 5 Paul taught that if we 'walk' by The Spirit, only THEN... are we NOT under the law.

Why? Simply because walking by The Holy Spirit means we won't be doing anything that is against God's laws.

Then Paul compared what it means when we instead walk by our 'flesh', which can put us back in danger under the law.

Thus it is just ignorance thinking that in Christ we are free to do whatever we want. So instead of heeding a bunch of country preachers that don't really study their Bible properly, you might want to get your Bible out and read it for yourself instead of just assuming
That is WAY off, Jesus was clear, Love your God with all you heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as your self, in these we have the whole of the law, bacon doesn't come into it.:):D
and from Galatians-The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Blessings

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is WAY off, Jesus was clear, Love your God with all you heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbor as your self, in these we have the whole of the law, bacon doesn't come into it.:):D
and from Galatians-The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Blessings
You certainly need to read those 1 Timothy 1, 1 Corinthians 6, and Galatians 5 Scriptures more.

And of course, I NEVER said eating bacon could affect one's Salvation in Christ Jesus. I well know Christ's Salvation isn't about law keeping, and I never said it did, so don't try to put your own words in my mouth. So once again, I will be very clear on that...

1. eating bacon AFFECTS the HEALTH of one's FLESH BODY.

2. eating bacon does NOT AFFECT one's SALVATION in Jesus Christ.

Now I can make that above appear bigger for you in case you have a hard time reading it.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, you are looking at the world through carnal eyes when the renewing of the mind, which is required of those who are truly His, produces the change to see the world through the lens of the Father.
The inmates at the prison were often prone to developing "concrete thinking", getting a stronghold of wrong thinking so entrenched they could not move from their carnal, erroneous, view of His truth.
Goodbye:handwaving:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Tony, I'm about to drop a 50 megaton truth nuke on you, bro...ready?

All scholars agree that Paul's greatest challenge was the "Judaizers" - Jewish converts to Christianity who insisted Christians must keep all the Mosaic Law as well as Jesus' commandments to be saved. He fought them all through Scripture.

Romans 14 isn't there to allow eating whatever might crawl across your plate - it's there to make clear that the JEWISH FEAST DAYS are optional, not mandatory. Whatever we eat must be first sanctified by the word of God..and where does the Word of God "sanctify" or "set apart" as acceptable fare? Leviticus 11, which medical science absolutely confirms with the highest scientific affirmations possible...almost like God knew what He was doing when He said, "that is healthy but that will make you sick and kill you, so don't eat it"...right or wrong?

Proof?

Jesus tells you unequivocally in Isaiah 66 that when He returns in fiery glory, those who eat "swine's flesh" will be "consumed together" with idolatrous nature worshipers...understand? It's an undeniable Messianic prophecy of the Second Coming where those who continue eating pigs after learning the truth will be set ablaze, and we all know how hot and smelly burnt pig fat is.

Please bring up Acts 10 and also "forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats".
Well hate to drop a 100 megaton bomb on your 50 megaton bomb:

Matt. 15:

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mark 7:

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

1 Corinthians 10:25
Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

So Jesus said nothing that enters us makes us unclean.

Paul declared that in the gentile markets we are free to eat anything without asking questions. Gentiles offered Jewish unclean animals to their gods as well as Jewish clean animals. They offerred everything.

The jewish dietary laws, which are part of the 613 Mosaic Laws (including the ten written in stone) are all done away with.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tell you what, you... can continue on faulty thinking that old covenant keeping of the law will save you, and I will continue in God's promise that my Faith on His Son Jesus Christ will save me, even though I admit that eating pork is unhealthy to our flesh body.
No, I'll go on believing I'm saved by grace through faith alone and show my inward faith by my outward obedience to His commandments (1 John 2:3-4 KJV) among which is to abstain from unclean meats like pork, the Mark of the Beast, from idol worship, etc.

Those who think they're demonstrating their faith by disobedience - and wrongful indictment of those who choose to obey - only serve to fulfill Jesus' words in Matthew 15: "This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouths and do honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well hate to drop a 100 megaton bomb on your 50 megaton bomb:
Alright, the arms race is on...get ready for an interstellar salvo from Starkiller Base:
Matt. 15:

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.

16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mark 7:

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
The rush to establish Biblical basis for eating anything that crawls across your plate always involves taking the verses of this passage out of context:

The Jews were indignant that Jesus and company disregarded their ridiculous "legalist" ritual laws of washing constantly during meals which actions supposedly kept a person undefiled spiritually. The context has to do with spiritual defilement/undefilment. By saying it's not what goes in but what comes out that defiles, Jesus put to rest their false ideas about spiritual defilement/undefilment by pointing out sin is a heart problem cured by God, not a hand problem we can fix ourselves.

Nothing to do with the literal, physical defilement of eating unclean meats. Unless you think Jesus was authorizing the eating of that which He Himself told Isaiah would be the cause of death for those found eating it when He comes in glory.
1 Corinthians 10:25
Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
Yes, they were not to ask if a CLEAN animal had been offerred to a false god or not. Nothing to do with eating unclean stuff.
So Jesus said nothing that enters us makes us unclean.
The context has to do with "spiritual" clean/unclean. Nothing to do with your supposed new menu items.
Paul declared that in the gentile markets we are free to eat anything without asking questions. Gentiles offered Jewish unclean animals to their gods as well as Jewish clean animals. They offerred everything.

The jewish dietary laws, which are part of the 613 Mosaic Laws (including the ten written in stone) are all done away with.
Remember how LONG AFTER Jesus left, Peter says he's never eaten anything "common or unclean"? That's right. By the time we get to Acts 10, the disciples are STILL observing the laws of clean/unclean and you'd think after spending 3 1/2 years with Jesus, they'd have gotten the memo about pigs and shellfish, right? Then never got the memo because there was no memo, just like there was no memo changing the Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day. Looks like the claim of you guys that the Jews started eating unclean animals after the Cross falls flat right here.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem ain't overgeneralization, but ignoration - you guys ignoring the plain words of Isaiah which plainly say Jesus at His Second Coming is going to burn to death those found eating pork, eating mice, eating abominations, and dancing around naked like Wiccans, and destroy them He will no matter how high they raise their praise hands in church.

"In vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men".

• Wow

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pork fat is king....

Ham and cheese is good and a staple....not to mention BACON!.

Shrimp cocktails?
Shrimp on the barbie?
Fettuccine with Shrimp?
Shrimp salad?
Oysters Rockefeller?

Oh I think I have to.....
So sad so many "Christians" are going to burn to death when Jesus comes, then wake up 1,000 years later in the Resurrection of the Damned to be cast into the Lake of Fire, and when insist they're saved by grace through faith, He's going to point to the warning in Isaiah 66 as well as those like me who were mocked for preaching the truth, and they will know they were demanding all along to be saved on their own terms...as if they had anything else to bring to the bargaining table of God except a lost soul.

• Wow

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Wow

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sad so many "Christians" are going to burn to death when Jesus comes, then wake up 1,000 years later in the Resurrection of the Damned to be cast into the Lake of Fire, and when insist they're saved by grace through faith, He's going to point to the warning in Isaiah 66 as well as those like me who were mocked for preaching the truth, and they will know they were demanding all along to be saved on their own terms...as if they had anything else to bring to the bargaining table of God except a lost soul.
It's what comes out of the heart that makes a man unclean. Especially unforgiveness, self-righteousness, and condemnation.

Sure, there are sins of identification that cause a person to be numbered with the heathen but a diet isn't one of those identifying things. A special religious diet tends to identify you with those who worship their own body.

There are diets that restrict gluten, sugars, and other items that people can have allergies to. But to cut off ham and shellfish for religious reasons? That's lunacy.

What do you think Paul hollered at Peter for?
And Peter endorsed Paul as being very knowledgeable.

So eat your organic scrambled eggs with some non-gmo matza....
I'm not wealthy enough to eat like that.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
A story is told of a group of smug super saints who boasted that their
diet consists of only fruits and vegetables just like Adam's in the garden.

And then somebody pointed out that all those people back then except for
eight were wiped out in Noah's flood and afterwards God revised Man's
diet.

Gen 9:3 . . Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I
gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Man doesn't have to eat every creature if he doesn't want to-- it's optional;
since Gen 9:1-3 is clearly a blessing rather than a commandment.

Apparently the inclusion of meat in Man's diet after the Flood was intended
primarily as a source of natural supplements to make up for the human
body's gradually lessening ability to manufacture all its own essential
vitamins; much the same reason that modern vegans resort to synthetic
supplements in order to avoid contracting deficiency diseases.

According to an article in the Dec 10, 2013 Science section of the New York
Times, scientists believe that the early human body was able to manufacture
all of its own essential vitamins; but over time gradually lost the ability to
manufacture all but K and D.

That seems plausible to me seeing as how Noah lived to be 950 years old,
but by the time of Abraham, the human life span had decreased
considerably to 175; which the Bible describes as a ripe old age (Gen 25:7-
-8) so the human body was obviously a whole lot stronger back in Noah's day
than it was in Abraham's.

Incidentally, the Hebrew words for "green grasses" includes tender young
shoots rather than only the adult plants. An excellent example of a shoot is
asparagus. We typically only harvest the spears because the adult plant is
not only a hideous bush, but it's not even tasty. I hear cattail sprouts are
good eating too.

NOTE: Bible students are often curious about the disparity between what
was right and wrong for Noah and what was right and wrong for Moses since
the laws of God are supposedly absolutes in any era. But God-given diets
are what's known as "dispensational" which means they're in effect for only
a specific era, and oftentimes only for a specific people. For example: it's
wrong for Moses' people to eat vultures, pigs, and/or lobsters, octopus, and
clams; while for Christ's people, it makes no difference.

Dispensations are an important aspect of Man's association with God; and
failure to discern them can sometimes lead to unnecessary confusion in
peoples' minds.
_

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is it okay to eat pork?​