Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
A story is told of a group of smug super saints who boasted that their
diet consists of only fruits and vegetables just like Adam's in the garden.

And then somebody pointed out that all those people back then except for
eight were wiped out in Noah's flood and afterwards God revised Man's
diet.

Gen 9:3 . . Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I
gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Man doesn't have to eat every creature if he doesn't want to-- it's optional;
since Gen 9:1-3 is clearly a blessing rather than a commandment.

Apparently the inclusion of meat in Man's diet after the Flood was intended
primarily as a source of natural supplements to make up for the human
body's gradually lessening ability to manufacture all its own essential
vitamins; much the same reason that modern vegans resort to synthetic
supplements in order to avoid contracting deficiency diseases.

According to an article in the Dec 10, 2013 Science section of the New York
Times, scientists believe that the early human body was able to manufacture
all of its own essential vitamins; but over time gradually lost the ability to
manufacture all but K and D.

That seems plausible to me seeing as how Noah lived to be 950 years old,
but by the time of Abraham, the human life span had decreased
considerably to 175; which the Bible describes as a ripe old age (Gen 25:7-
-8) so the human body was obviously a whole lot stronger back in Noah's day
than it was in Abraham's.

Incidentally, the Hebrew words for "green grasses" includes tender young
shoots rather than only the adult plants. An excellent example of a shoot is
asparagus. We typically only harvest the spears because the adult plant is
not only a hideous bush, but it's not even tasty. I hear cattail sprouts are
good eating too.

NOTE: Bible students are often curious about the disparity between what
was right and wrong for Noah and what was right and wrong for Moses since
the laws of God are supposedly absolutes in any era. But God-given diets
are what's known as "dispensational" which means they're in effect for only
a specific era, and oftentimes only for a specific people. For example: it's
wrong for Moses' people to eat vultures, pigs, and/or lobsters, octopus, and
clams; while for Christ's people, it makes no difference.

Dispensations are an important aspect of Man's association with God; and
failure to discern them can sometimes lead to unnecessary confusion in
peoples' minds.
_
Very insightful, thank you kindly. I was aware people cannot make their own vitamin C from an article about a physician whose hunting dog had hip dysplasia, he saw pictures and it looked like the result of scurvy in humans, led him to theorize how we have bred dogs from wolves for characteristics far from the original and how we may have bred out the ability to make their own, that and the stress of domestic life on the animal consumes more of this nutrient.
This links to the time of Noah when mankind was reduced to a few individuals and this genetic corruption entered the Creation.
blessings

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ACTS 10: 9-
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.

I think this passage says it's okay to eat pork.
I think the swine eaters in Isaiah are probably related to people that are unclean and not washed clean thru our Lord Jesus the Christ, the Lamb of God. They remain in their sins.

Reactions: Shittim and Pearl

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rush to establish Biblical basis for eating anything that crawls across your plate always involves taking the verses of this passage out of context:

The Jews were indignant that Jesus and company disregarded their ridiculous "legalist" ritual laws of washing constantly during meals which actions supposedly kept a person undefiled spiritually. The context has to do with spiritual defilement/undefilment. By saying it's not what goes in but what comes out that defiles, Jesus put to rest their false ideas about spiritual defilement/undefilment by pointing out sin is a heart problem cured by God, not a hand problem we can fix ourselves.

Nothing to do with the literal, physical defilement of eating unclean meats. Unless you think Jesus was authorizing the eating of that which He Himself told Isaiah would be the cause of death for those found eating it when He comes in glory.
Well as Jesus said that nothing, let me repeat NOTHING that enters a man can defile them. that is very substantial evidence that eatring prok will not defile a man.

Also given that the Mosaic Laws were given to Israel alone and not the gentiles.

given that Paul instructed Timothy about a certain error that Paul called doctrine of demons:

1 Timothy 4

King James Version

4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Notice verse 4? EVERY1

Also Paul did not rebuke Peter for eating with gentiles (and eating unclean foods)

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Verse 143- Peter lived like a gentile and ate like a gentile!!!!!!!

Sorry but your argument idied at the cross when Jesus took the Mosaic Law and nailed it to His cross!

Reactions: Pearl

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Seek FIRST the Kingdom of God, and ALL these things shall be added unto you",
Correction....
KJV Matthew 6:33
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Now my friend, ask yourself, even better, shall we ask God, "what is your righteousness"? He answers...
KJV Deuteronomy 6:25
25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

KJV Psalms 119:172
172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

The righteousness spoken of above in Matthew, is God's righteousness, not ours. Jesus said we are to seek it on equal proportion to His kingdom, thus they go hand in hand. One cannot have one without the other. Such righteousness does not come natural to man. The Bible tells us what it is, it is right doing according to God's laws. But in and of ourselves, such is impossible... But with God all things are possible. And the first step in accepting anything that God offers us, is the desire to want it. Jesus said here to seek it with as much passion, love, and earnestness as we are to seek His kingdom. The promise is given,
KJV Matthew 5:6
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
So. Do you want it? Do you want to obey God in all things? Do you want to keep His commandments? The book of Revelation describes God's people as commandment keepers. See Revelation 12:17, and 14:12. Those outside of the kingdom are described as those who are lawless, they are murderers and liars and false accusers and adulterers and isolators. Elsewhere they are described as sinners, and sin according to the apostle John is transgression against the law. Seems to me that far from being free from the law, what the Bible is promising those who love God and seek His kingdom and righteousness is not freedom from the law, but freedom from sin, which then makes the law powerless to condemn. That is true freedom. And that is righteousness. But if you sin, then like Paul says, the law comes back into play. The freedom from sin is a gift, it is the righteousness of Christ, and it comes to all who hunger and thirst for it.
I don't believe for a moment that Christians want to sin. The closer we get to Christ, the less we want to offend Him. And the more we want to be like Him. I don't believe you want to sin. How strong you want to live without sin is up to you. The power to do so is up to God. The question you need to settle in your mind and seek the truth to, is to answer, what is sin? Is eating swine flesh sin?
KJV James 4:17
17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Pork fat is king....

Ham and cheese is good and a staple....not to mention BACON!.

Shrimp cocktails?
Shrimp on the barbie?
Fettuccine with Shrimp?
Shrimp salad?
Oysters Rockefeller?

Oh I think I have to.....
I think we need to add, cotton candy, M'Donalds, Wendy's, fermented grapes and hops and, oh don't forget that green weed God let grow and pronounced good....yup, a little modification and who knows, we might even access the knowledge of good and evil? There is of course a wagon load of other things we can freely put into our bodies.

I look around and observe those who exploit this freedom of self indulgence and regularly see the consequences......ie, sickly bodies, obesity, sickly/ delusional minds and the many other afflictions which come from ingesting, on a regular basis,
the 'foods' God has steered us away from.

Our bodies by and large have the capacity for a lot of resilience but push that resilience and surely the chickens will come home to roost.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's what comes out of the heart that makes a man unclean. Especially unforgiveness, self-righteousness, and condemnation.
The Jews were indignant Jesus and company ignored their ridiculous custom by which men were to obtain spiritual purity by washing their hands repeatedly when they ate. So, by saying "it's not what goes in but what come out which defiles a man" He was pointing out that defilement originates in the heart after which the hand follows, not the other way around.

If Jesus meant to teach pigs and shrimp were to be fit fare after the Cross, Peter didn't get the memo...because there was no memo.
Sure, there are sins of identification that cause a person to be numbered with the heathen but a diet isn't one of those identifying things. A special religious diet tends to identify you with those who worship their own body.

There are diets that restrict gluten, sugars, and other items that people can have allergies to. But to cut off ham and shellfish for religious reasons? That's lunacy.

What do you think Paul hollered at Peter for?
And Peter endorsed Paul as being very knowledgeable.

So eat your organic scrambled eggs with some non-gmo matza....
I'm not wealthy enough to eat like that.
So, how does any of that detract from Isaiah's Messianic prophecy of the Second Coming in which Jesus will burn up those who eat swine, mice, and other abominations?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we need to add, cotton candy, M'Donalds, Wendy's, fermented grapes and hops and, oh don't forget that green weed God let grow and pronounced good....yup, a little modification and who knows, we might even access the knowledge of good and evil? There is of course a wagon load of other things we can freely put into our bodies.

I look around and observe those who exploit this freedom of self indulgence and regularly see the consequences......ie, sickly bodies, obesity, sickly/ delusional minds and the many other afflictions which come from ingesting, on a regular basis,
the 'foods' God has steered us away from.

Our bodies by and large have the capacity for a lot of resilience but push that resilience and surely the chickens will come home to roost.
We're not free to pollute oursleves with such things. "If any man defile the temple, him will God destroy".

That's why those who defile themselves with pigs and mice, booze, drugs, etc., are going to burn up twice, once at the Second Coming and a second time in the Lake of Fire a thousand years later.

Reactions: Brakelite

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We're not free to pollute oursleves with such things. "If any man defile the temple, him will God destroy".

That's why those who defile themselves with pigs and mice, booze, drugs, etc., are going to burn up twice, once at the Second Coming and a second time in the Lake of Fire a thousand years later.
Was not Adam free to partake of the forbidden fruit even though warned of the consequences? Was not Cain free to murder his brother Able though advised not to? Were not his descendants free to engage what their minds desired? Was/ is not humanity free to crucify the Lord of Glory?

Freedom is never freedom if there is the element of compulsion. Freedom exercised has however, inherent consequences....both for life and for death.

Reactions: Brakelite

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was not Adam free to partake of the forbidden fruit even though warned of the consequences? Was not Cain free to murder his brother Able though advised not to? Were not his descendants free to engage what their minds desired? Was/ is not humanity free to crucify the Lord of Glory?

Freedom is never freedom if there is the element of compulsion. Freedom exercised has however, inherent consequences....both for life and for death.
What I mean is, we're not free to partake of forbidden things without fear of consequences. Paul is clear, "If any man defile the temple, him will God destroy".

The idea of "freedom in Christ" does not include "freedom to defile ourselves" - it means "freedom from slavery to sin" by the renewing of the heart, out of which proceeds holy thoughts and actions aka "good works which God before ordained that we should walk in them".

The reason why the carefree bachelor finds the exchange of marital vows unbearably restrictive is the same reason Antinomianists view God's law in the same manner: no love for God or anyone else but themselves, no matter how high they raise their praise hands in church.

"If ye love Me, keep My commandments."

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What I mean is, we're not free to partake of forbidden things without fear of consequences. Paul is clear, "If any man defile the temple, him will God destroy".

The idea of "freedom in Christ" does not include "freedom to defile ourselves" - it means "freedom from slavery to sin" by the renewing of the heart, out of which proceeds holy thoughts and actions aka "good works which God before ordained that we should walk in them".

The reason why the carefree bachelor finds the exchange of marital vows unbearably restrictive is the same reason Antinomianists view God's law in the same manner: no love for God or anyone else but themselves, no matter how high they raise their praise hands in church.

"If ye love Me, keep My commandments."
I get what you're saying, nevertheless in the context of this conversation how would you apply 'defiling the temple' in the light of 'It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth; this makes a man unclean and defiles [him]. Matthew 15:11?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:
21“Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!”? 22These will all perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such restrictions indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-prescribed worship, their false humility, and their harsh treatment of the body; but they are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh

Reactions: Lambano

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
FAQ: Why are Christ's followers at liberty to eat whatever they want
whereas Jews are limited?

REPLY: Jews associate with God by means of the covenant that Moses'
people agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and
Deuteronomy; whereas Christ's followers associate with God per a different
covenant wherein diet is not a factor.

FAQ: Is it wrong to insist diet is a factor for Christ's followers?

REPLY: Yes, it is wrong. In point of fact, according to the principles guiding
Christian conduct per Rom 14:1-23, folks who believe dietary restrictions
apply to Christ's followers are weak in faith whereas those who believe it's
okay to eat whatever they want are strong in faith.
_

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you continue to read the passage, you will see what Peter learned--that you call no MAN unclean. It was after this, he went to meet Cornelius

Acts 10:28
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

The clean unclean law was not Mosaic--even Noah knew the difference

Gen 7:2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal

Look at Acts 11.

And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
3 Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
( They are complaining because he is eating with Gentiles.)
4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,
5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven. 11 And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
Yes, it was about the Gentiles who the Jews thought were unclean or 'common' and would not associate with for all intents and purposes.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is more unhealthy than bacon or sausage?
Legalism about foods.

God di dnot put dietary restrictions on the Hebrews because of health. Bacon and sausage in those days was unheard of! they are more modern inventions.

But if you wish to know what foods are more unhealthy than bacon and sausage, pretty much everything on the gfrocery shelves that is processed!

Bread flour, snacks, and many others that are loaded with all sorts of preservatives to keep them fresh and stable on the shelves. I love them all!!! I am embalming my self ahead of time with them!

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism about foods.

God di dnot put dietary restrictions on the Hebrews because of health. Bacon and sausage in those days was unheard of! they are more modern inventions.

But if you wish to know what foods are more unhealthy than bacon and sausage, pretty much everything on the gfrocery shelves that is processed!

Bread flour, snacks, and many others that are loaded with all sorts of preservatives to keep them fresh and stable on the shelves. I love them all!!! I am embalming my self ahead of time with them!
The saturated fat and sodium in bacon and sausage make them very unhealthy.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get what you're saying, nevertheless in the context of this conversation how would you apply 'defiling the temple' in the light of 'It is not what goes into the mouth of a man that makes him unclean and defiled, but what comes out of the mouth; this makes a man unclean and defiles [him]. Matthew 15:11?
By saying that it's what comes out - not what goes in - which defiles a man, Jesus was defying Pharisaical false ideas that it was necessary to "wash" their hands to prevent spiritual defilement entering, and instead properly identifying the source of spiritual defilement which is an unregenerate heart.

He was not setting aside the Biblical prohibition against eating unclean things - a prohibition we can safely conclude was among God's "charge, commandments, statutes, and laws" Abraham kept since the distinction between clean/unclean was before the Flood.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism about foods.

Of course, health is the reason for God telling us not to eat unclean things. God made a provision to deal with the accumulation of what resulted from the curse of sin: DEAD CARCASSES. He ordained "SCAVENGERS" to be the means for which nature would cope with this problem, lest the entire world become a giant Lazar house: pigs, vultures, crabs, craysfish, clams, etc., got the job of cleaning up the filth and anyone can tell you the harm that is done when we consume these creatures.

Those who argue for the eating of unclean things, I NEVER hear of their recipes for "vulture stew" or "coyote casserole".

When stranded WW2 sailors in the Pacific theatre got sick eating whatever they could snatch out of the water, the U.S. Navy spent a bundle hiring researchers to compile a field handbook for crewmembers to help them identify what was fit ocean fare.

In the end, they simply said, "Tell them, if it's got FINS AND SCALES it's probably safe to eat".

Well, well, God sure is smart.

Reactions: Cassandra

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Mark 7:

Paul confirmed that in Romans 14:

More generally, Colossians 2:

Eating pork or shrimp is fine but you don't have to.

See also Dietary laws from Adam to the apostles.
Let's look at that Mark 7 in Matthew, because Then came to Jesus the Scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, “Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.” (Matthew 15:1-2)

Note what verse the states, "they wash not their hands when they eat bread." We see the subject is, eating without washing hands correct? Note something else in the above verse. The Pharisees asked Jesus, “Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders?” Note the Lord's response;

But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. But ye say, whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; and honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.” (Matthew 15: 3-6)

The Pharisees followed their own tradition as a substitute to the commandments of God. Note what Jesus says next.

Ye hypocrites, well did Esaiah prophesy of you, saying, “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” (Matthew 15:7-9)

The Pharisees of today (meaning the preachers) teach the doctrine of men, by making statements such as, "We are not under the law we are under grace.” Not knowing which law we are no longer under. Therefore their flocks are ever learning, meaning not coming to the true faith. Thus they worship the Lord in vain.

Let's cut to the chase, and see if the passage above has anything to do with doing away with dietary law.

And he called the multitude, and said unto them, “Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.”(Matthew 15:10-11)

So what is this that comes out of men's mouths that defiles them? Let's skip to the 15th verse These are verse and see if the Lord is doing away with His dietary law.

Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.” (Matthew 15:15-20).

Note what the Lord says, "Those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man." Now we see brother and sisters that, this set of verses has nothing to do with the dietary law being nail to the cross. In fact the Lord tells the apostles what defiles men and that is breaking His commandments, note eating with unwashed hands.

In Leviticus, 23rd Chapter the sabbath day and the High Holy Days which begin I believe on the new moon. Are the feast of the Lord's. These days are to be observe in their season. In Colossians 2:16-17, "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days. Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. These feast days are the plans of God, they represent the future, with example from the past. All Holy Days are not to eat or drink, such as the atonement, but still to be observe. So this is actually what a person would say to someone who do not keep these feast day of the Lord, if they were judging them on those High and Holy Sabbath days, they were keeping. They would quoted Colossians 2: 16-17. So if you keep the first day of the week, Sunday, then it makes no sense to use this verse. You cannot worship other days that’s not written in the Bible to do, and then use the Bible to justify it. So if you keep another day thats not written in the Bible, then you are doing something on your own, thus it would really be contradictorily.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 66:17 is telling us what is going to be happening at the Second Coming - understand? It's got NOTHING to do with any Dispensationalism or OC vs. NC.

God told Isaiah to tell YOU AND ME that when He comes in glory, religious people found eating pigs and oysters after learning they're forbidden are going to be burned up along with the wicked, period. Bon appetit.

Sin is the outward evidence of the vile heart of a lost man, but obedience is the outward evidence of a heart that's been saved by grace through faith.

Last edited: