Is it okay to eat pork?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism about foods.

God di dnot put dietary restrictions on the Hebrews because of health. Bacon and sausage in those days was unheard of! they are more modern inventions.

But if you wish to know what foods are more unhealthy than bacon and sausage, pretty much everything on the gfrocery shelves that is processed!

Bread flour, snacks, and many others that are loaded with all sorts of preservatives to keep them fresh and stable on the shelves. I love them all!!! I am embalming my self ahead of time with them!
"...eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse shall be CONSUMED together."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, health is the reason for God telling us not to eat unclean things. God made a provision to deal with the accumulation of what resulted from the curse of sin: DEAD CARCASSES. He ordained "SCAVENGERS" to be the means for which nature would cope with this problem, lest the entire world become a giant Lazar house: pigs, vultures, crabs, craysfish, clams, etc., got the job of cleaning up the filth and anyone can tell you the harm that is done when we consume these creatures.

Those who argue for the eating of unclean things, I NEVER hear of their recipes for "vulture stew" or "coyote casserole".

When stranded WW2 sailors in the Pacific theatre got sick eating whatever they could snatch out of the water, the U.S. Navy spent a bundle hiring researchers to compile a field handbook for crewmembers to help them identify what was fit ocean fare.

In the end, they simply said, "Tell them, if it's got FINS AND SCALES it's probably safe to eat".

Well, well, God sure is smart.
Then Jesus went and said nothing that goes into the belly is unclean.

Also eating forbidden foods made one ceremonially unclean.

also, they received the dietary laws simply because God wanted them to be separate from their neighbors.

Lev. 20

24 But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the Lord your God, which have separated you from other people.

25 Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean.

In verse 25 the "therefore" is there to refer back to the end of verse 24--" I am the Lord your God, which have separated you from other people.

Also while eating pork was notoriously placing one at risk for pathogens if not cooked properly, all meats not cooked properly can cause things like botulism, e-coli, salmonella et. al. And the very fact that billions eat lobsters, eels, pork, deer etc. and have no nationwide issues shows your theory is just wrong, especially inlight of the reason god gave in vrses 24-25.

keltzkroz

Dec 15, 2023
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also eating forbidden foods made one ceremonially unclean.

also, they received the dietary laws simply because God wanted them to be separate from their neighbors.

Lev. 20

24 But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the Lord your God, which have separated you from other people.

25 Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean.

In verse 25 the "therefore" is there to refer back to the end of verse 24--" I am the Lord your God, which have separated you from other people.

Also while eating pork was notoriously placing one at risk for pathogens if not cooked properly, all meats not cooked properly can cause things like botulism, e-coli, salmonella et. al. And the very fact that billions eat lobsters, eels, pork, deer etc. and have no nationwide issues shows your theory is just wrong, especially inlight of the reason god gave in vrses 24-25.
Do you ever think Jesus ate pork?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you ever think Jesus ate pork?
No, because He obeyed the law in all points. Even the ceremonial parts to fulfill them all by His death and resurrection! But He gave us permission (though we needed none because the gentiles were never told to abstain from the dietary restrictions of the Jews except for blood.)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse shall be CONSUMED together."
Good thing we aren't a Jew in the OT then. I sure would miss my ribs!

Matthew 15:17
Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

Mark 7:19
Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

Decide for yourself which you choose to obey, the Law of Moses which has been done away with or Jesus when He said nothing we eat can make us unclean?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you eat them regularly andIN QUANTITY. BUT HAVING SOME ONCE OR TWICE WEKKIS NOT THAT BAD FOR YOU.
There is a more important reason I don't eat pork:

When people try to justify homosexuality, I point out God called it an abomination (Leviticus 18:22). They assume I am a hypocrite, because they assume I eat pork, and God called that an abomination (Deuteronomy 14:3-8). But I don't eat pork.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context, context, context.

The context defines the dispute between Jesus and the Pharisees as concerning "spiritual defilement" - not dietary restrictions. The Pharisees of the day taught spiritual defilement was both caused and cured by our own actions and scoffed when Jesus and company disregarded their ridiculous "spiritual cleansing" by ridiculous hand washing rules.

Jesus clarified that "spiritual defilement" is a disease of the heart that can't be cured by anyone except the Great Physician.

The above context also shows that you no longer have an excuse to disregard God's warning in Isaiah 66 about what He intends to do to those who defile themselves with abominable things like pork, bro.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a more important reason I don't eat pork:

When people try to justify homosexuality, I point out God called it an abomination (Leviticus 18:22). They assume I am a hypocrite, because they assume I eat pork, and God called that an abomination (Deuteronomy 14:3-8). But I don't eat pork.
To abstain from pork is a liberty you have in christ, as long as you do not judge others who eat. (Rom. 14)

But the OT dispensation under the Mosaic Law is different than the NT dispensation. Paul said all foods are to be eaten with thanks and Jesus declared that nothing eaten can defile a man.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context, context, context.

The context defines the dispute between Jesus and the Pharisees as concerning "spiritual defilement" - not dietary restrictions. The Pharisees of the day taught spiritual defilement was both caused and cured by our own actions and scoffed when Jesus and company disregarded their ridiculous "spiritual cleansing" by ridiculous hand washing rules.

Jesus clarified that "spiritual defilement" is a disease of the heart that can't be cured by anyone except the Great Physician.

The above context also shows that you no longer have an excuse to disregard God's warning in Isaiah 66 about what He intends to do to those who defile themselves with abominable things like pork, bro.
You can't be more wrong.

Isaiah was a warning to teh nation of Israel not to the church. If you wish to follow that Mosaic Law, you have bound yourself to all 613 as is written.

And I do not think that Jesus was speaking of anything spiritual. Rea carefully what God the Son has to say:

Matthew 15:17-18

King James Version

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Look closely at verse 17 "whatesoever entereth in at the mouth goes into the belly and out the behind! Pork enters the mouth, goes into the belly and out the behind!

Verse 18: it is the things out of the mouth that defile a person for they come out of the heart.

Jesus explains this further in the Mark parallel passage:

Mark 7:18-23

King James Version

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Verses 18-19 Jesus declares all foods do not defile a man but are purged out the behind!

But the things that come from teh heart defile th eman.

If you wish to not eat pork, that is your liberty, but to judge those that do is legalism and grave sin.

1 Timothy 4:2-4

King James Version

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Verse 4-- Is pig a creature of God? If so it is not to be refused if it is received with thanks!

Romans 14

King James Version

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

While this is between an omnivorous vs vegetarian diet, Paul says one eats all things (pork included). For you to judge one who earts, you are judging Gods servants (if they are a believer) and making yourself an idol.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't be more wrong.

Isaiah was a warning to teh nation of Israel not to the church. If you wish to follow that Mosaic Law, you have bound yourself to all 613 as is written.

And I do not think that Jesus was speaking of anything spiritual. Rea carefully what God the Son has to say:

Matthew 15:17-18​

King James Version​

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Look closely at verse 17 "whatesoever entereth in at the mouth goes into the belly and out the behind! Pork enters the mouth, goes into the belly and out the behind!

Verse 18: it is the things out of the mouth that defile a person for they come out of the heart.

Jesus explains this further in the Mark parallel passage:

Mark 7:18-23​

King James Version​

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Verses 18-19 Jesus declares all foods do not defile a man but are purged out the behind!

But the things that come from teh heart defile th eman.

If you wish to not eat pork, that is your liberty, but to judge those that do is legalism and grave sin.

1 Timothy 4:2-4​

King James Version​

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

Verse 4-- Is pig a creature of God? If so it is not to be refused if it is received with thanks!

Romans 14​

King James Version​

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

While this is between an omnivorous vs vegetarian diet, Paul says one eats all things (pork included). For you to judge one who earts, you are judging Gods servants (if they are a believer) and making yourself an idol.
There's no way Isaiah 66:15-17 can be fulfilled even one millisecond before the supernaturally glorious, fiery, blazing, cacophonic, earth-shattering Second Coming of Jesus, period.

Understand? No way Isaiah 66:15-17 can be fulfilled except when the Lord Jesus comes in fiery glory.

No way. Every single aspect of Isaiah 66:15-17 KJV cannot be explained except in the light of the many other Second Advent prophecies like those of Jeremiah, Paul, Peter, Isaiah, etc.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no way Isaiah 66:15-17 can be fulfilled even one millisecond before the supernaturally glorious, fiery, blazing, cacophonic, earth-shattering Second Coming of Jesus, period.

Understand? No way Isaiah 66:15-17 can be fulfilled except when the Lord Jesus comes in fiery glory.

No way. Every single aspect of Isaiah 66:15-17 KJV cannot be explained except in the light of the many other Second Advent prophecies like those of Jeremiah, Paul, Peter, Isaiah, etc.
Well you can take that up with Jesus! I gave you His words.

Isaiah was a prophecy to the nation of Israel, not to the gentiles-you need to remember that and the words of God the Son!

That is your choice and decision. Don't eat pork if you do not want to , but do not sin by judging those that do.

YOu must understand that the laws given on Mount Sinai are not for the Church.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you can take that up with Jesus! I gave you His words.

Isaiah was a prophecy to the nation of Israel, not to the gentiles-you need to remember that and the words of God the Son!

That is your choice and decision. Don't eat pork if you do not want to , but do not sin by judging those that do.

YOu must understand that the laws given on Mount Sinai are not for the Church.
You keep saying that while failing to explain how the prophecy could be fulfilled BEFORE the Second Coming.

Did Jesus ever come with fire?

Did He ever come taking vengeance against "all flesh" - which Israel, but the entire world?

Did He ever come and consume those who eat abominable things and worship idols naked in the forest?

Oh, but that was for "ancient Israel" LOL

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To abstain from pork is a liberty you have in christ, as long as you do not judge others who eat. (Rom. 14)

But the OT dispensation under the Mosaic Law is different than the NT dispensation. Paul said all foods are to be eaten with thanks and Jesus declared that nothing eaten can defile a man.
I thought I explained my reason very well.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep saying that while failing to explain how the prophecy could be fulfilled BEFORE the Second Coming.

Did Jesus ever come with fire?

Did He ever come taking vengeance against "all flesh" - which Israel, but the entire world?

Did He ever come and consume those who eat abominable things and worship idols naked in the forest?

Oh, but that was for "ancient Israel" LOL
Well as that prophecy was for the people of Israel, we as the church do not need to worry about it.

And you fail to acknowledge that Jesus and the apostles did away with all dietary restrictions found in the OT. So you have a conundrum. but knowing the context of what the Lord is saying- He is referring to gentiles (for Israel did not have pork or eat mice) andthat their hearts were wrong with God.

17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.

18 For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.

19 And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.

Verse 18 part A is key, just as Jesus said. It is what is in man that defiles him.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you mean it is unhealthy, yes you did. But God made pork clean to eat so we should not judge people who abstain from it or eat it.
What I mean is that when people accuse me of being a hypocrite when I tell them that homosexuality is an abomination, because they assume I eat pork, which God also calls an abomination, I can truthfully tell them I don't eat pork.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple of points. First, you will find no reference in scripture describing, pinpointing, listing, or mentioning unclean foods. Not one mention, anywhere. If God counseled anyone at all, even Noah, that certain animals were unclean, God was not saying they were food. In fact the opposite. God was saying, this is not food because it will kill you. Don't eat. This is the Manufacturers instructions. It isn't ritual or ceremonial. It has everything to do with health and your willingness to obey.
We live in an age where Michelin star chefs are cooking on live TV, anything and everything that happens to taste good, and rewarding competitors for the most outlandish cooking methods and crazy menu items and their skill in putting it together. Some of the time those poisonous items aren't cooked at all. People are committing slow suicide by eating raw shellfish, designed by God to extract poisons from the oceans, such as arsenic and mercury. Have you not every noticed that certain sea waters are closed because of toxicity levels reaching dangerous levels in the shellfish? All that means is the danger levels are so high you die maybe next week. Lower levels you die maybe earlier than you should.
@Davy, as Phoneman said, any sin you refuse to repent of once informed of its true biblical meaning, whatever transgression that may be, is unpardonable. It is a sin against the holy Spirit because you have heard the voice of conviction in your heart, but have spurned it as legalistic, irrelevant, unreasonable, unfair, uncomfortable, unwarranted, or too hard. You are effectually telling God He's wrong.

It's a very good point that unclean animals are not food at all.

Reactions: Brakelite