Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Waling in newness of life is being born again. They are one and the same.
So, are you saying you can walk in newness of life on your own without the Spirit?

We receive walking in the new nature, when we become Born Again @JBO .

How can we have a new nature in Christ @JBO ...without becoming Born Again?

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, are you saying you can walk in newness of life on your own without the Spirit?

We receive walking in the new nature, when we become Born Again @JBO .
Unbelievable. Like talking to my dear, blessed grandmother about thermodynamics. She just didn't get it.

• Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Unbelievable. Like talking to my dear, blessed grandmother about thermodynamics. She just didn't get it.
@JBO ....please show me in scripture where we can walk in newness / new nature.....without the Spirit?

That’s all I’m asking?

Edit to add....what about the fruit of the Spirit @JBO .....what did God mean when he said you shall know them by their fruit?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We inherited Adam and Eves sin...

Adam trespass led to sin and yes his trespass led to our condemnation...therefore we inherited Adam condemnation...Gods wrath on all those after Adam?

We are made righteous by the second Adam...Jesus...through becoming Born Again?

Do you actually understand that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus @JBO ....I can post scripture for you if you like?

When we were under the law we are condemned ....a Born Again isn’t under the law...they are under grace?

Romans 5:18
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.

New Living Translation
Yes, Adam’s one sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness brings a right relationship with God and new life for everyone.

English Standard Version
Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.

Berean Standard Bible
So then, just as one trespass brought condemnation for all men, so also one act of righteousness brought justification and life for all men
Psalm 51:5 - Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.

Romans 5:12 - Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.

1 Corinthians 15:22 - For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

*In context here all men in Adam and all men in Christ. All men in Adam are condemned and all men in Christ are justified.

• Love

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@JBO ....please show me in scripture where we can walk in newness / new nature.....without the Spirit?

That’s all I’m asking?

Edit to add....what about the fruit of the Spirit @JBO .....what did God mean when he said you shall know them by their fruit?
Who said anything about walking in newness of live without the Spirit? I didn't. And neither did Paul.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Psalm 51:5 - Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.

Romans 5:12 - Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.

1 Corinthians 15:22 - For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

*In context here all men in Adam and all men in Christ. All men in Adam are condemned and all men in Christ are justified.
Where have you been Brother?

You have been missed.

I love reading God’s word in your posts and God has taught me a lot through you.

Your maturity in God and growth in the Spirit....has helped me no end in understanding Gods word...

I know I can get confused quite often..but..God always brings me out of it....I just keep walking in Faith...trusting that he will remove this confusion from my mind.

The enemy hates us coming to the truth of Gods word.

• Love
Reactions: mailmandan

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously, the sin there is his mother.
Death spread to all men because all sinned, not because Adam sinned.

Eze 18:20 The soul who sins shall die.
That is physical death.

It doesn't differentiate the "all men" in those verses as you have done. The only reason for doing so is to align it with your preconceived interpretation. And that is the definition of eisegesis.

• Haha

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That is physical death.

Tell me what is spiritual death?

Maybe @mailmandan can help us understand better through God’s word.

What happened to Adams spirit when he sinned @mailmandan ?...thank you.

As I’m confused over this spiritual death.
It doesn't differentiate the "all men" in those verses as you have done. The only reason for doing so is to align it with your preconceived interpretation. And that is the definition of eisegesis.

Reactions: mailmandan

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@JBO ...are we not spiritually dead, before we become Born Again?

Ephesians 2:1-10​

1 In the past you were spiritually dead because of your disobedience and sins. 1
2 At that time you followed the world's evil way; you obeyed the ruler of the spiritual powers in space, the spirit who now controls the people who disobey God.
3 Actually all of us were like them and lived according to our natural desires, doing whatever suited the wishes of our own bodies and minds. In our natural condition we, like everyone else, were destined to suffer God's anger.
4 But God's mercy is so abundant, and his love for us is so great,
5 that while we were spiritually dead in our disobedience he brought us to life with Christ. It is by God's grace that you have been saved.
6 In our union with Christ Jesus he raised us up with him to rule with him in the heavenly world.
7 He did this to demonstrate for all time to come the extraordinary greatness of his grace in the love he showed us in Christ Jesus.
8 For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts,
9 but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it.
10 God has made us what we are, and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not all about his mother. The Amplified Bible reads - I was brought forth in [a state of] wickedness; In sin my mother conceived me [and from my beginning I, too, was sinful].

Psalm 58:3 - The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.

All sinned (not just because we choose to sin) but also because we are born into sin. We have a corrupt nature inherited from Adam.

That includes everyone all the way from birth. (Psalm 51:5; 58:3; Romans 3:23; 5:12)

That is physical death.
Physical death only? Are you sure about that? In Adam (apart from Christ) we only die physically? So those who are already physically alive shall me made alive physically in Christ? o_O You need to rethink your doctrine.

It doesn't differentiate the "all men" in those verses as you have done.
I see that you neglected the context. Romans 5:15 - But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. 18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

*Again, in context it's all men in Adam and all men in Christ. All men in Adam are condemned and all men in Christ are justified.

Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all, but that still does not mean that all men are justified/saved. Do you believe in universalism? It's all men "in Christ" who are justified/saved (Romans 5:16-19) and not all men in general.

The only reason for doing so is to align it with your preconceived interpretation. And that is the definition of eisegesis.
That statement is the epitome of irony.

• Love

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were not possible to ever sin again after getting born again,

It is not possible.

the Lord would not have put warnings in the New Testament about not sinning, including 1 John 1:9

There are multiple scriptural WARNINGS for “particular” people, for “particular” reasons.

There is a HUGE difference between:
Non-Believers AND Believers
Believing And Confessed Believers
Mindful Believers AND Heartful Believers
Prepared AND Non-Prepared
Scriptural Applicable AND Not Applicable

Glory to God,
Taken

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe 1 John answers the question "is it possible to not to sin anymore", by implying that it is possible that we will sin after we have committed our lives to Jesus. John's first epistle is writen to Christians, those that have already been begotten again and in whom God's seed remains. He writes:

1 John 1:5-10 (WEB):
(5) This is the message which we have heard from him {Christ} and announce to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.​
(6) If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth.​
(7) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.​
(8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.​
(9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.​
(10) If we say that we haven’t sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.​

In the next verse John writes, 1 John 2:1 (WEB):

(1) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor {advocate} with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.​

He says that he wrote the preceding verses to encourage/urge them to refrain from sinning. He then says that if, however, we do sin, then Jesus is our advocate with God, and that we will be forgiven. In 1:7 it uses the present tense for "cleanses", meaning it is an ongoing process, not just a one time event, as confirmed by verse 9, where he mentions confessing our sins. The Cambridge Bible Notes says:

cleanseth] Note the present tense of what goes on continually; that constant cleansing which even the holiest Christians need (see on Joh_13:10). One who lives in the light knows his own frailty and is continually availing himself of the purifying power of Christ’s sacrificial death. “This passage shews that the gratuitous pardon of sins is given us not once only, but that it is a benefit perpetually residing in the Church, and daily offered to the faithful” (Calvin). Note also the ‘all’; there is no limit to its cleansing power: even grievous sinners can be restored to the likeness of God, in whom is no darkness at all. This refutes by anticipation the error of the Novatians, who denied pardon to mortal sins after baptism. Comp. ‘How much more shall the blood of Christ … cleanse your conscience’ (Heb_9:14), and ‘These are they which come out of the great tribulation, and they washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb’ (Rev_7:14).​

Revelation 1:5 (WEB):
(5) and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us, and washed us from our sins by his blood;​
1 Peter 1:2 (WEB):
(2) according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with his blood: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.​
Hebrews 12:24 (WEB):
(24) to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better than that of Abel.​

If we realise that we have committed a sin then we should plead, or sprinkle, the blood of Jesus over ourselves and ask our Father for forgiveness in Jesus' name, and John writes that God is "faithful and righteous to forgive us the sins" (1:9).

T

Tulipbee

Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

We are encouraged in Genesis 5:
Ah, the intricate dance of perfection, temptation, and the divine comedy of living a sinless life! Let's waltz through these verses in the Calvinist comedy ballroom, where the steps are grace-filled, and the Gospel melody plays on.

So, Matthew 5 hits us with the challenge: "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." It's like God saying, "Hey, aim for perfection, folks!" But let's be real – perfection isn't our strong suit. Enter Romans 7, where Paul confesses the struggle: "For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." It's the divine foxtrot of desires and shortcomings.

But fear not, dear theologian on the dance floor! 1 Corinthians 10 steps in with a reassuring beat: "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." It's like God saying, "I won't let the dance floor get too tricky for you; there's always a way out of the temptation tango."

And then there's the grace-filled waltz of repentance and forgiveness. In the Calvinist comedy script, we understand that living a sinless life is a lofty goal, but we trip over our own feet from time to time. Yet, the divine choreography includes a rhythm of confession and repentance, where God's forgiveness takes center stage.

Now, 1 John 3 swirls in with a reminder: "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them." It's like a heavenly dance instructor saying, "Once you're part of God's dance academy, you're learning new moves, and sin won't be your default groove."

And behold, the grand finale – Genesis 5, featuring Enoch, who "walked faithfully with God." It's the celestial dance move of faithfulness, and then, poof, "he was no more, because God took him away." Enoch's exit is the ultimate finale, showcasing that the divine dance leads to an eternal ballroom with the Creator.

So, fellow dancers in the Calvinist comedy ballroom, let's remember: while our dance moves may falter, God's grace is the music that carries us through. One day at a time, one graceful step after another, until we find ourselves in the divine dance that never ends. #CalvinistComedyClub #GospelDanceWisdom

Reactions: TonyChanYT