Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

We are encouraged in Genesis 5:
Tony, you ask 103 questions but none of them enlighten anybody about Jesus. They only thrash around in the religious imagination and attempt to appear as something of importance.

What they are actually doing is eclipsing that which is important for people to know......and what is it that is important? Is it not the wonder of our God so that they are drawn to him?

Be mindful you are not another tool of the evil one whose purpose is to distract from knowledge which enlightens to eternal life.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:

1 Corinthians 10:

Theoretically, it is possible to live a sinless life. In practice, Romans 7:

By the grace of God, when we fail, we confess and repent. God will forgive. We can only take it one day at a time. Hopefully, our spiritual condition next year will be better this year.

1 John 3:

We are encouraged in Genesis 5:

It's only possible if you are able to subject your whole body in and through the spirit, but however long one can stay in that state depends. I have to just confess that I am sinner that is saved by grace through faith.

Perhaps other people are better than others in regards of their maturity, however God sees everyone equally and pay each individual their own reward they deserve.

I can't be responsible for anyone else other than myself, though it is okay to encourage and share and try to support others in faith.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “You shall not murder.”[b] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Reactions: Philip James

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it possible not to sin anymore?​

In this lifetime, NO!!

Can anyone reconcile the OP with Romans 3:9-12 which reads:

09 What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

And, Romans 7:17-25:

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

The above Scripture passages are God's assessment of the human race.

To God Be The Glory

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it possible not to sin anymore?​

In this lifetime, NO!!

Can anyone reconcile the OP with Romans 3:9-12 which reads:

09 What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

And, Romans 7:17-25:

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

The above Scripture passages are God's assessment of the human race.

To God Be The Glory
Every single person I know has told me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian. What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every single person I know has told me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian.

Even IF it were true we had a sin nature when we were born... I always ask these people how come they haven't gotten born again and become a new creature in Christ so they can be delivered from the sin nation and take on the nature of the Lord?

Of course they won't agree with that either and say we all have to sin everyday in thought word and deed like it's out duty to sin or something. crazy.gif

Besides, Romans 7 guy is not a Christian as he's sold under sin and cannot control himself so he has no fruit of the Spirit like Christians have when they get born again.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even IF it were true we had a sin nature when we were born... I always ask these people how come they haven't gotten born again and become a new creature in Christ so they can be delivered from the sin nation and take on the nature of the Lord?

Of course they won't agree with that either and say we all have to sin everyday in thought word and deed like it's out duty to sin or something. View attachment 39386

Besides, Romans 7 guy is not a Christian as he's sold under sin and cannot control himself so he has no fruit of the Spirit like Christians have when they get born again.
Just to straighten things out about all the lingo re nature here on Planet Earth....... We have a primary orientation to self. Call it a sin nature (dysfunction) because it stands in opposition to the orientation in heaven and as far as I understand it, in the rest of the Cosmos which is other centred; a nature of service to the other....not that of gimme, gimme, gimme, extract as much as you can for as little as you can give orrrrrrr, I will give you but I want my pound of flesh.

Jesus came to show us the reality of God's Kingdom.....he came to serve.....he gave and gave and gave....even his life!

The self (ish) nature never has enough; it is a bottomless abyss and leaves its inhabitants destitute....and hopeless.

Jesus illustrates his reality in Luke 6:38 'Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

This is God's reality ie, his nature.....just look at our Earth which we are doing the darnedest to destroy....it brings forth in abundance......more than is ever needed.

Reactions: Lambano

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it possible not to sin anymore?

Short answer … Yes.

Question… How? Expounding.

Answer…
* Be “Informed”, of WHAT God is Offering, (Called eternal Life With God) and WHAT you are Agreeing To…

* Agreeing TO:
* Willingly (exclusively Give unto God) your Bodily Life (ie BLOOD), unto Death.

* Believe IN your Heart IN the Lord God Almighty. (Called A Works)

* Confess by your word, your (emotion), sorrow, regret, for having Had Not Believed. (Called Repentance.)

* Confess by your Word, OF your heartful Belief. (Called A Service)

* Receipt FROM God…
* Forgiveness for having Had Not Believed.
* Restoration of your soul, (back to very good, as it was when given you)
* Gods Acceptance of your body’s LIFE.
* Heart Circumcision (ie a new Heart).
* The Seed of God in your new Heart.
* The Seed of God Re-births your spirit, From a spirit from mans seed, to a spirit of Gods seed.
* Receive the Spirit of God IN your new heart.
(Called Gods Spirit of Truth.)
* The Lords “risen” BODY to temporarily DWELL “IN” (Called IN Christ).

(WHAT IS the “spirit of a natural man”?)
A mans natural “TRUTH” in his heart.
WHICH IS WHY…
The mans Belief;
The mans repentance of having HAD disbelief;
The mans confession of Belief;
ALL has to do with the mans HEART (ie spirit / truth in his Heart).

Opposed to a mans what Belief, what Repentance, what Confession?
His …… Carnal MIND!

God IS Spirit, thus ANY “request to, speaking to, addressing to, prayer to”;
the Lord God…… IS always “spirit to Spirit”.

AND…Because God IS Holy, and manKIND IS NOT Holy…an unholy man, can not DIRECTLY “ask, request, speak to” God Himself…

Dilemma? No. God has provided His Own “ADVOCATE” for an unholy man, an unforgiven man, a man whose soul is corrupt, a man whose spirit is natural….CAN direct his prayers, requests, repentance, confession…TO Gods Advocate:
Christ the Lord Jesus….and by, through, of Christ the Lord Jesus….SHALL God…
Hear
Forgive
Restore
Quicken (birth the mans new spirit)
Enter withIN that man
Keep, (BY Gods Supreme Power) that man exclusively IN STANDING with and unto the Lord God Almighty FOREVER.

Christ CAN NOT SIN…and
A man IN Christ, can SIN NO MORE.

Glory to God,
Taken

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The identity of Romans 7 guy has been a subject of controversy ever since the Reformation. Those who believe Paul is talking about Christians note that Paul uses the subject "I" in the present tense. Taken at face value, Paul is talking about himself in his current state.

15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course they won't agree with that either and say we all have to sin everyday in thought word and deed like it's out duty to sin or something.
I don't know about "have to" - but Christ's saints have been very much aware that they still fall short of the glory of God. At least the ones who are honest before God know it and confess it. There's a reason Confession has been part of the liturgy across denominations for 2000 years.

19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. (Romans 7:19)

And for those who think that they're perfect now, I want to point out that in that verse, sin includes not just the evil we do in thought, word, and deed, but also in the good we fail to do. Sins of omission are far more open-ended. 'Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”' I don't see many people doing that.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every single person I know has told me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian. What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands.
Obedience has been a predominant issue throughout the entire Bible. Under the New Covenant we have not been set free from obedience to the law, at least the relevant portions of the law. When we are born again, one of the benefits is the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. The primary purpose or work of the Holy Spirit in our lives is to help us to be obedient to God's law, His moral law. When Paul says that we are not under the law, he does not mean that we have been set free from obedience to the law, what he means is that we are no longer being held accountable to the law for eternal life; instead we are being held accountable to our faith for eternal life.

Paul, in 2 Thessalonians 1:8, speaks about the punishment that God will inflict upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Peter says much the same in 1 Peter 4:17. If judgment is meted out against those who do not obey the gospel, that means that there is clearly the requirement to obey the gospel.

In John 3:36 we read "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

In Acts 5 we read the account of the apostles who were taken prisoners and put in prison. When an angel freed them from the prison and told to go speak to the people and when the authorities took them again and set them before the chief priests, the apostles responded with "We must obey God rather than men." And speaking about the authorities who condemned Jesus to death on the cross, the apostles replied, "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."

Paul in his opening address in his letter to the Romans said in 1:5 about Jesus Christ, "through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake"

I could go on and on. There is no question but what obedience is key in our relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Much of that obedience pertains to God's moral law. Jesus proclaimed in the parable of the good Samaritan that the whole law was based upon "loving the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." Clearly that has not been set aside.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that we are charged to obey God's law. Obedience is key.

Is it possible then to not sin anymore? YES. Will it happen that someone will not sin anymore? NO. It has always been possible not to sin. Except for Jesus, there has never been, nor will there ever be, one who hasn't sinned.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience has been a predominant issue throughout the entire Bible. Under the New Covenant we have not been set free from obedience to the law, at least the relevant portions of the law. When we are born again, one of the benefits is the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit. The primary purpose or work of the Holy Spirit in our lives is to help us to be obedient to God's law, His moral law. When Paul says that we are not under the law, he does not mean that we have been set free from obedience to the law, what he means is that we are no longer being held accountable to the law for eternal life; instead we are being held accountable to our faith for eternal life.

Paul, in 2 Thessalonians 1:8, speaks about the punishment that God will inflict upon those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Peter says much the same in 1 Peter 4:17. If judgment is meted out against those who do not obey the gospel, that means that there is clearly the requirement to obey the gospel.

In John 3:36 we read "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

In Acts 5 we read the account of the apostles who were taken prisoners and put in prison. When an angel freed them from the prison and told to go speak to the people and when the authorities took them again and set them before the chief priests, the apostles responded with "We must obey God rather than men." And speaking about the authorities who condemned Jesus to death on the cross, the apostles replied, "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."

Paul in his opening address in his letter to the Romans said in 1:5 about Jesus Christ, "through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake"

I could go on and on. There is no question but what obedience is key in our relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Much of that obedience pertains to God's moral law. Jesus proclaimed in the parable of the good Samaritan that the whole law was based upon "loving the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." Clearly that has not been set aside.

There can be no doubt whatsoever that we are charged to obey God's law. Obedience is key.

Is it possible then to not sin anymore? YES. Will it happen that someone will not sin anymore? NO. It has always been possible not to sin. Except for Jesus, there has never been, nor will there ever be, one who hasn't sinned.
I'm sad that so many Christians do not seem to know how to read a Bible. They quote verses out of context day in and day out. For example this verse in 2 Thessalonians 1:8 that you refer to is clearly written to those that do not know God meaning not a Christian. And yet you use the verse to say this is God's will for Christians. interesting that you quote the verse, but do not list it. I'm beginning to think this kind of deception is done on purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritajanice

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Of course they won't agree with that either and say we all have to sin everyday in thought word and deed like it's out duty to sin or something. View attachment 39386

I'm sad that so many Christians do not seem to know how to read a Bible. They quote verses out of context day in and day out. I'm beginning to think this kind of deception is done on purpose.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sad that so many Christians do not seem to know how to read a Bible.
And clearly that is you. God condemns for the lack of obedience, which means there is an alternative? That alternative is obedience. Obedience is, without question, a key message throughout the entire Bible.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does Gods word say.?

We have been Born Again of imperishable seed, therefore we are in the Spirit......we have that new nature in Christ......our old nature is no more.....it’s the flesh that is at war with the Spirit within....because we have been Born Again of Gods seed, for his purpose and plan....the Holy Spirit helps us bring our flesh to surrender to his will.

That can take years to understand, as we understand all in God’s timing....it’s called maturing and growing in Christ...the Holy Spirit is our teacher and guide,,,without the Spirit we+are none of His....my testimony and belief.
The Holy Spirit teaches us obedience and what surrendering to his will means...we have an intimate relationship with God through his Spirit...why...because we are Born Again...we belong to God and we would die without him.....we need his seed / living word to grow and mature in Christ....we are Born Again....we are no longer of this world.we are in the Spirit.

John 3:6 ESV / 4 helpful votes​

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit

1 John 3:9​

1 John 3:9 KJV​

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here's another one: You mention Acts 5 where the Apostles are talking to someone else when they say "we must obey God rather than men." And you turn that into meaning we should obey God's Laws. That statement made by the Apostles does not mention the "Laws" of God. Again, I'm beginning to think this kind of deception is done on purpose.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And clearly that is you. God condemns for the lack of obedience, which means there is an alternative? That alternative is obedience. Obedience is, without question, a key message throughout the entire Bible.
You can't give a verse that says there is still a sin nature. Even the NIV puts it this way concerning 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't give a verse that says there is still a sin nature. Even the NIV puts it this way concerning 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
You can't give a verse that says there ever was a sin nature. Could this be a deception done on purpose?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Galatians 5:17-24​

Amplified Bible​

17 For the sinful nature has its desire which is opposed to the Spirit, and the [desire of the] Spirit opposes the [a]sinful nature; for these [two, the sinful nature and the Spirit] are in direct opposition to each other [continually in conflict], so that you [as believers] do not [always] do whatever [good things] you want to do. 18 But if you are guided and led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the Law

Galatians 5:17-24​

King James Version​

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

1 Corinthians 6:19

King James Version

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?