Is it possible not to sin anymore?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Galatians 5:17-24​

Amplified Bible​

17 For the sinful nature has its desire which is opposed to the Spirit, and the [desire of the] Spirit opposes the [a]sinful nature; for these [two, the sinful nature and the Spirit] are in direct opposition to each other [continually in conflict], so that you [as believers] do not [always] do whatever [good things] you want to do. 18 But if you are guided and led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the Law

Galatians 5:17-24​

A really bad translation/interpretation for the Greek word "sarx" meaning flesh n verse 17 and the Greek word "hupo" meaning under in verse 18.

(ESV)
Gal 5:17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

(KJV)
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

(NASB)
Gal 5:17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A really bad translation/interpretation for the Greek word "sarx" meaning flesh n verse 17 and the Greek word "hupo" meaning under in verse 18.

(ESV)
Gal 5:17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

(KJV)
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

(NASB)
Gal 5:17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
And what do you think the flesh is?....if it’s not the old sinful nature?...that we still live out?

The flesh is at war with the Spirit?...which means what?

The flesh dies daily does it not?

Who gets our flesh under control?

Why do you think we need the renewing of our mind?

We need to get our mind in line with Gods....what good is there in our minds?

Romans 8:9
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

New Living Translation
But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)

English Standard Version
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Berean Standard Bible
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Berean Literal Bible
Now you are not in flesh but in Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you; but if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what do you think the flesh is?....if it’s not the old sinful nature?...that we still live out?

The flesh is at war with the Spirit?...which means what?

The flesh dies daily does it not?

Who gets our flesh under control?

Why do you think we need the renewing of our mind?

Romans 8:9
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

New Living Translation
But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)

English Standard Version
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Berean Standard Bible
You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

Berean Literal Bible
Now you are not in flesh but in Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you; but if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him
The Bible nowhere calls the flesh the sinful nature. That is not good reading of God's word.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible nowhere calls the flesh the sinful nature. That is not good reading of God's word.
So, tell me what the flesh is then?

· The end result of sin is a nature often referred to as the “flesh” in Scripture—something that opposes God and seeks sinful gratification.

And maybe you can answer my other questions?...as that’s not good understanding of scripture either...as you never answer questions I post?

Instead of hurling insults @JBO....stick with discussion....as you just get personal as we can see with others on this thread...nothing edifying....just personal remarks
When we become Born Again we don’t want to sin....as we are in the Spirit we are one with Christ?.Galatians 3:27-2827 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Did you know that a Born Again only wants to please God?....why is that @JBO ?

What is the sin nature?​

translate 412teens GQkidz sin nature
audio

ANSWER

The sin nature is that aspect in man that makes him rebellious against God. When we speak of the sin nature, we refer to the fact that we have a natural inclination to sin; given the choice to do God’s will or our own, we will naturally choose to do our own thing.

Proof of the sin nature abounds. No one has to teach a child to lie or be selfish; rather, we go to great lengths to teach children to tell the truth and put others first. Sinful behavior comes naturally. The news is filled with tragic examples of mankind acting badly. Wherever people are, there is trouble. Charles Spurgeon said, “As the salt flavors every drop in the Atlantic, so does sin affect every atom of our nature. It is so sadly there, so abundantly there, that if you cannot detect it, you are deceived.”

The Bible explains the reason for the trouble. Humanity is sinful, not just in theory or in practice but by nature. Sin is part of the very fiber of our being. The Bible speaks of “sinful flesh” in Romans 8:3. It’s our “earthly nature” that produces the list of sins in Colossians 3:5. And Romans 6:6 speaks of “the body ruled by sin.” The flesh-and-blood existence we lead on this earth is shaped by our sinful, corrupt nature

Last edited:

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, tell me what the flesh is then?
Flesh

From Strong's Greek dictionary:

G4561

σάρξ

sarx

sarx

Probably from the base of G4563; flesh (as stripped of the skin), that is, (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul (or spirit), or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred, or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions), or (specifically) a human being (as such): - carnal (-ly, + -ly minded), flesh ([-ly]).

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Flesh

From Strong's Greek dictionary:

G4561

σάρξ

sarx

sarx

Probably from the base of G4563; flesh (as stripped of the skin), that is, (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul (or spirit), or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred, or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions), or (specifically) a human being (as such): - carnal (-ly, + -ly minded), flesh ([-ly]).
We are discussing flesh in scripture?

What does the flesh mean in Gods word?

Is flesh mentioned in Gods word?

Check out Gods word?

What is God saying here below?

Ephesians 2:11
Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)—

New Living Translation
Don’t forget that you Gentiles used to be outsiders. You were called “uncircumcised heathens” by the Jews, who were proud of their circumcision, even though it affected only their bodies and not their hearts.

English Standard Version
Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands—

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just gave it to you.
Ok....we are all learning and we learn from each other who are in Christ...the Holy Spirit teaches us and he teaches us through each other does he not?

How about this scripture?

Matthew 26:41​

Matthew 26:41 KJV​

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

I’m learning like you, if our flesh isn’t our old nature....maybe another member can tell me what the flesh is?

I’m here to learn like everyone else....maybe @Behold can help us....he is a minister.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok....we are all learning and we learn from each other who are in Christ...the Holy Spirit teaches us and he teaches us through each other does he not?

How about this scripture?

Matthew 26:41​

Matthew 26:41 KJV​

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Do you see anything there that says sinful nature? I don't.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you see anything there that says sinful nature? I don't.
No I don’t...I always thought that flesh was our old nature....or the nature for those without the Spirit.

Let’s wait and see what others say.....as well...I’m intrigued to see what their answers are....like you, I Love learning all about God.

Just found this @JBO ....interesting read.

What does the Bible mean when it talks about the flesh?​

From a biblical perspective, the flesh is "that which is contrary to the spirit" (see Galatians 5:17). The flesh and the Spirit are two opposing forces that exist within a believer. The Spirit is just that—the Holy Spirit. The flesh is the part of a believer that disagrees with the Spirit. The makeup of a believer is different from that of an unbeliever, in that an unbeliever does not have the Spirit of God indwelling them. In the case of an unbeliever, the flesh is in agreement with the spirit of that unbeliever. Paul says "our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin" (Romans 6:6). What Paul is describing when he says "the body of sin" is the flesh

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I don’t...I always thought that flesh was our old nature....or the nature for those without the Spirit.
From a biblical perspective, the flesh is "that which is contrary to the spirit"
How does that functionally differ from a "sin nature"?

And apparently it doesn't just go away in a believer. Why not? It would make the sanctification process much easier if it did.

For that matter, why doesn't the indwelling Spirit overrule the opposing "flesh" every time?

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
D
How does that functionally differ from a "sin nature"?

And apparently it doesn't just go away in a believer. Why not?
God says.

1 John 3:9 KJV​

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We don’t have a sin nature we have been Born Again.

We have the old sinful mind ..that needs renewing?

We are transformed by the Spirit.into the image of Jesus .....to think in the Spirit and not the flesh thinking?

I think in the Spirit much more now than the flesh now......my flesh is dying and my mind is being renewed...to think Godly thoughts and not flesh thoughts.

Example my flesh wanted to take revenge, that’s what I was thinking.....whereas I knew in the Spirit that it was wrong?

Can you help out here @Behold ...am I correct?

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God says.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

We don’t have a sin nature we have been Born Again.

We have the old sinful mind ..that needs renewing?

We are transformed by the Spirit...to think in the Spirit and not the flesh thinking?

We do have something in us that opposes the Spirit. Whether we call it "flesh" or "the sin nature" doesn't matter. A rose by any other name... Do we agree on that?

I also don't think you're interpreting 1 John 3:9 correctly.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We do have something in us that opposes the Spirit. Whether we call it "flesh" or "the sin nature" doesn't matter. A rose by any other name... Do we agree on that?
I agree that there is this flesh thinking in us...but, as we mature and grow in Christ it gets less because of course we are Born Again and are being made into the image of Jesus.

All a Born Again wants to do is please God....

How can I live to Please God?​

• Be Spiritually Minded​

God is a spirit, and to connect with Him and become Christ-like, we need to be spiritually minded. That is why God gave us the Bible. The words written in it are spirit and life. When we study the Word and meditate on it, our minds are transformed, and we become spiritually-minded.

A spiritually-minded person focuses on the things of God. Their quest in life is to please their Heavenly Father. (Romans 8:6)

I also don't think you're interpreting 1 John 3:9 correctly.
Ok, can you interpret it , then we can discuss?

I may not agree,only because I believe what God is saying in that scripture...pretty self explanatory for me to understand.

A Born Again has been Born Again of imperishable seed....what does that mean?

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, can you interpret it , then we can discuss?
Why, thank you; I'd love to.

To start with, interpreting 1 John 3:9 as a face-value statement that Christians never sin leads to an absolutely blatant contradiction with what John writes in chapter 1 verse 8:

8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And I've seen all sorts of mental gymnastics to try and get around that contradiction, like chapter 1 isn't written to Christians but the rest of the letter is. Or that this letter is only for immature Christians who trust Christ but are not yet born again. Or that this applies to a life characterized by the repeated practice of sin.

To deny that we have sin requires that we lie to ourselves and to either be blind to what we do, or to redefine "sin". The result is that when we do catch ourselves in a sin (whether of commission or omission) that cannot be denied, we are forced to conclude that we were never born again. If Born-Again Christians cannot sin, every failure to love our neighbor, every good deed left undone, every fleshly thought, every unkind word testifies that we are not His and never were. And that is devastating to faith.

One of the major themes of 1 John is an exhortation to avoid sin. You see it in the introduction: My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. (1 John 2:1). You see it over and over again right until the very last verse: Little children, keep yourselves from idols. (1 John 5:21). Now, if it were not possible for Christians to sin, this whole letter would be unnecessary. I interpret chapter 3 verse 9 in light of the introductory paragraph of chapter 3:

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. ... Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him... And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (1 John 3:1a, 2a, 3)

Like the Son of God, children of God cannot sin.

Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

WE ARE NOT YET LIKE CHRIST - but it is promised that we will be. Thus, John exhorts us to live NOW as we will be. Like the Kingdom of God, Now - but Not Yet. This is an appeal to holy living based on his target audience's identity as Children of God. Very consistent with the theme of the entire letter.

This is why I encourage my brothers and sisters to read in context.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
  • Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why, thank you; I'd love to.

To start with, interpreting 1 John 3:9 as a face-value statement that Christians never sin leads to an absolutely blatant contradiction with what John writes in chapter 1 verse 8:

8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

God says different, we have been Born Again of His seed....so as scripture says, we no longer sin...because we have the seed of God in our hearts.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God
And I've seen all sorts of mental gymnastics to try and get around that contradiction, like chapter 1 isn't written to Christians but the rest of the letter is. Or that this letter is only for immature Christians who trust Christ but are not yet born again. Or that this applies to a life characterized by the repeated practice of sin.

To deny that we have sin requires that we lie to ourselves and to either be blind to what we do, or to redefine "sin". The result is that when we do catch ourselves in a sin (whether of commission or omission) that cannot be denied, we are forced to conclude that we were never born again. And that becomes devastating to faith.

One of the major themes of 1 John is an exhortation to avoid sin. You see it in the introduction:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. (1 John 2:1)

and over and over again right until the very last verse:

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. (1 John 5:21)

Sorry, none of that scripture is speaking to a Born Again...so agree to disagree...it’s the flesh that we deal with, which is the mind...that is being renewed.

As I say...we have been Born Again of imperishable seed...the same seed that Mary received when she fell pregnant with Jesus...only the seed is Spirit gives birth to spirit.
Now, if it were not possible for Christians to sin, this whole letter would be unnecessary. I interpret chapter 3 verse 9 in light of the introductory paragraph of chapter 3:

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. ... Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him... (1 John 3:1a, 2a)

In light of the theme of the letter, I understand verse 9

Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

as an appeal based on his audience's identity as Children of God to avoid sin.

Thank you for listening.
Ok, thanks for giving your opinion of scripture...as I gave my opinion of scripture...I can only understand the word of God, through the Holy Spirit.

Man tends to complicate Gods word,.,

Can you explain what imperishable seed means?

If you can’t...then I believe that’s why we’re disagreeing with Gods word.