Is it right for a Christian to hold a Bible in one hand and a doobie in the other?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two Tales of a City

I've been following this thread and just happened to catch a report in The Epoch Times today about the effects of the cannabis industry on Pueblo, Colorado. The report begins by explaining how cannabis production took over the city, adding jobs and promising a bright future.... That's one tale, but there is another.

Here is an excerpt from that article:

The True Cost of Marijuana: A Colorado Town That Went All-In
By Charlotte Cuthbertson
October 27, 2020 Updated: October 27, 2020

View From the ER

Two emergency room doctors in Pueblo see a different side of the equation and say the deleterious effects of cannabis legalization far outstrip any benefits.

Dr. Karen Randall, who trained in pediatrics and emergency medicine, spent years as an ER doctor in Detroit, but Pueblo turned out to be a whole other level.

“It’s like a horror movie,” she told The Epoch Times. Every shift in the ER brings in a patient with cannabinoid hyperemesis. In layman’s terms, that means someone is screaming and vomiting uncontrollably. The sound is wretched and apocalyptic. It’s caused by chronic cannabis use, usually high-potency products, and it stops when the person stops using cannabis.

Then there’s the psychosis.

“I was in Detroit for 18 years and the cannabis psychosis here is worse than anything I saw in Detroit,” Randall said. “They’re very violent. The combination of this high potency THC and meth just creates this incredibly violent person.”

THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the main psychoactive ingredient in today’s marijuana products, is now being extracted to reach a potency of more than 80 percent. In the 1990s, the average potency of a joint was around 4 percent THC.

Dr. Brad Roberts said he’s seeing more and more patients with psychosis who have no previous psychiatric history and are testing positive only for THC.

“There’s no PCP. There’s no amphetamines. There’s no alcohol. The only thing that comes up positive is cannabinoids. And they’ll admit that they did dabs right before it happened,” he said. “The ones I see that are true psychosis are teenagers—so 17, 18, 19.”

Dabs are a method of taking concentrated THC, usually through a vaping device or a glass rig. The concentrate is most commonly made by using butane to extract THC from the cannabis plant, and then it’s further processed to strip the butane out. Other forms of butane hash oil include waxes, shatters, and budders—which are similar, but have different textures.

Recently, a teenager “yelling incoherently” was brought into the ER with three police officers, five EMS personnel, and three security staff holding him down, Roberts said. The young man had been running along the middle of the street waving a metal rod at cars.

“I gave him 10 milligrams of intravenous Versed—after he had had 5 mg of Haldol, 50 mg of Benadryl, and 2 mg of Ativan [all sedatives]. And it hadn’t put him down. And he had been tased twice by the police,” Roberts said.

The teen later told Roberts he had been smoking concentrated cannabis waxes. Only cannabis showed up on his drug screen.

Roberts and Randall are trying to sound the warning bell on the negative effects marijuana legalization has had on their community and provide information that politicians might not be considering when faced with the legalization decision.

Since legalization in Colorado, Randall and Roberts have seen an increase in all drug use, not just marijuana. Methamphetamine use is up 143 percent, opiates are up by 10 percent, and cannabis is up by 57 percent, according to data from the ER drug screens over the past seven years.

“If you pump a community full of drugs, you’re going to have to expect everything that’s associated with them. You’re going to have to expect the crime, addiction,” Randall said.

“If you listen to what the industry says, we should be rolling in money because we’ve got about 50 dispensaries and we have over 100 legal grows. … And so if you think about just that number, this community should be thriving, we should be rolling in dough.

“And we’re not. We’re the canary in the coal mine. Our kids are failing, our kids are using drugs more. I can’t find health care for them. I can’t find rehab, I can’t find places to put the kids in foster care.”

The Healthy Kids Colorado survey for 2019 showed that 20.6 percent of high school children in Colorado had used marijuana in the previous 30 days.

“While smoking marijuana remained the most frequent method of use in 2019, smoking decreased as dabbing significantly increased as the second most common method of marijuana consumption among high school students,” the survey report stated. Vaping has also become more common.

The survey report concluded, “These are concerning trends since marijuana products associated with these methods of consumption often contain high concentrations of THC.”

Recently, two children younger than 14 ended up in the ER with Randall after each had ingested half of a candy bar that contained 500 mg of THC. Randall said the kids obtained the product from a buyer via Snapchat.

“We’re losing this generation,” she said. “What I see … is the kids either smoke themselves, or they become the parents’ caretaker, they take care of their parents who are smoking—using drugs and drinking. And I don’t know which is sadder—you have an 8 year old that’s giving you the medical history of the parent, or the kid’s using.”

Roberts said he believes the marijuana black market, prior to legalization, was a safer option, as the highly concentrated products now developed by chemists and botanists weren’t prevalent. “There is no part of this that is safer—it’s more frequently used, it’s higher potency use, and there are now all these different ways to use it,” he said.

In the ER, he asks his patients about smoking, drinking, and drug use, and said he’s “amazed” at how many people are smoking five or six joints a day. Or they’ll tell him, “‘I take a hit on the bong when I wake up, I usually go home for lunch and take a couple hits,'” he said.

“Almost 100 percent of the people that use, use daily.”

Both Roberts and Randall say at least one-third of what they see in the ER on a daily basis is solely related to drug issues.

Many patients don’t believe it when the doctors tell them it’s their marijuana that’s causing their hyperemesis or psychosis.

“They always say, ‘It’s not the cannabis. Pot is good for you,'” Randall said, “because it’s been portrayed as super benign—it’s healthy for you, it’s natural.”

Roberts said the last patient he told threw his papers on the floor and stormed out of the room.

Both have received threats, including death threats, for speaking out about the dangers of cannabis. They blame the strengthening cannabis industry lobby.

“They don’t want me to talk about the dangers of cannabis because they want everyone in the world to think it’s wonderful and thriving,” Randall said.

Pueblo City Mayor Nicholas Gradisar said his main concern with the Pueblo cannabis industry is minors using cannabis, which is more readily available now.

“Obviously, it’s illegal to sell or give marijuana to minors. Nobody thinks that’s a good idea,” he said. “There’s some people that shouldn’t use it, because they have that addictive personality—just like they shouldn’t use alcohol. And the high-potency THC, it’s sort of a dosing issue.”

He said the edible cannabis products now must include a dosing recommendation on the packaging. “Obviously you get people that think they know better and they don’t abide by that. But those are decisions that individuals make. Like I say, hopefully, those are adult individuals and not children.”

Source: The True Cost of Marijuana: A Colorado Town That Went All-In

Edit: So, to answer the question in the OP, I think that the facts mentioned in this article should be considered by Christians when deciding whether to smoke pot. How can we risk influencing children, for one thing?

Of course, as Christians, we are to walk by the Spirit and obey the Spirit's leading in all things. Would the Holy Spirit lead us to take a hallucinogenic drug, esp. for the purpose of recreation?

Some things to consider....

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking to excess is harmful to your health. Moderation can even be beneficial. It is God's wisdom I'm talking about, not drunk driving. Do you think Jesus made grape juice at the wedding in Canaan?
yet 1 drink and getting behind the wheel can lead to a DUI.

who are you trying to kid here ?

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, thank you!

Hi Michael,

What do you mean when you say, a religious issue? That there would be something intrinsically incompatible with Christianity?

Much love!

I mean that the taking of recreational drugs is really not something that is addressed in Scripture, and I don't see why faith would then impact the decision to partake in them or not.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Being Doobie brothers? That depends if people think that Jesus is more than ♪♪"just alright" ♪♪

Otherwise not a chance.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean that the taking of recreational drugs is really not something that is addressed in Scripture, and I don't see why faith would then impact the decision to partake in them or not.
Then it appears, Chiquita, that you don't understand the Christian life. We live "by faith...." Is the Holy Spirit leading you to get high on pot or drunk on wine? Would God lead you to do that?

Galatians 2:20--I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yet 1 drink and getting behind the wheel can lead to a DUI.

who are you trying to kid here ?

It's science. I'm not trying to kid anyone, just educate. For every one drink, your BAC goes up by about 0.02 percent, so reaching a BAC of 0.08 percent takes about four to five drinks to necessitate a DUI. But, I wouldn't expect you to know that information as you don't need to.

Look Christophany, I don't mean to seem to be promoting alchohol, only the science and the wisdom of God. Jesus, Himself, drank wine, but you won't even acknowledge that subject. Of course, there were no cars in His day. If someone has a "problem" staying away from alcohol to the point of getting DUIs, they should never even have one drink. And Lutherans and Catholics, and maybe others, use fermented wine in the ceremony of the Lord's Supper. You can judge everyone who has one drink if you want to, but I won't judge Jesus or his children who use wisdom and moderation in that way, and don't drink and drive.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am wanting here is a discussion, not condemnation. There are Christian denominations that have strong religious beliefs about alcohol. I have no problems with those religious beliefs, I worship and fellowship with a lot of people that have those beliefs. I understand how they get there. Sola Sciptura does not take into consideration the culture nor the time period. Nearly every person in that time period and nearly every person that wrote portions of the Bible drank. This is fact, and there is a lot of reasons for it. This is one of many reasons that I keep saying that you cannot read the Bible like it is the Sunday Paper.

The discussion here....that I am looking for is how and why can we say that it is wrong biblically to not smoke marijuana. Or how can those that do smoke think that it is ok biblically to smoke marijuana. Like tobacco and abortion the word marijuana does not appear in the Bible....So as Christians, how can we say or believe that it is something we should not do or that it is a sin. I am trying to help not condemn and it takes courage to step up to the plate and be honest. These people...these Christians that smoke pot....don't forget....they are our sons and daughters...our brothers and sisters in the Lord. So lets get to the meat of the topic.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am wanting here is a discussion, not condemnation. There are Christian denominations that have strong religious beliefs about alcohol. I have no problems with those religious beliefs, I worship and fellowship with a lot of people that have those beliefs. I understand how they get there. Sola Sciptura does not take into consideration the culture nor the time period. Nearly every person in that time period and nearly every person that wrote portions of the Bible drank. This is fact, and there is a lot of reasons for it. This is one of many reasons that I keep saying that you cannot read the Bible like it is the Sunday Paper.

The discussion here....that I am looking for is how and why can we say that it is wrong biblically to not smoke marijuana. Or how can those that do smoke think that it is ok biblically to smoke marijuana. Like tobacco and abortion the word marijuana does not appear in the Bible....So as Christians, how can we say or believe that it is something we should not do or that it is a sin. I am trying to help not condemn and it takes courage to step up to the plate and be honest. These people...these Christians that smoke pot....don't forget....they are our sons and daughters...our brothers and sisters in the Lord. So lets get to the meat of the topic.
that answer is a simple one, it alters your mind with one hit. you ask me how I know I use to smoke, sell and deal it before I was saved so I know from personal experience.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

From experience in my youth one puff of some types of marijuana can cause me to be sleepy for 3 days. That is not being sober. But God did create marijuana and gave us the knowledge to extract the medicinal properties that are beneficial and do not make us high.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look Christophany, I don't mean to seem to be promoting alchohol, only the science and the wisdom of God. Jesus, Himself, drank wine, but you won't even acknowledge that subject.

Here's one thing to consider. [A preacher I heard] did a teaching on this and said that the wine they drank in Bible times was somewhat weaker than most wine today. Maybe he was right.

Honestly, why are we even having this discussion as Christians? If you use pot legally for medicinal purposes and don't get high, then that's between you and God. For recreational use, this is another story. I would say it's time to grow up! Most of us did this stuff in high school, but now we're adults. We need to live like rational adults and not risk influencing children or drug addicts to partake! And not risk becoming addicts ourselves!

When i was in high school, I got drunk just about every weekend. After God saved me in college, I continued to drink, but not get drunk. One evening, as I sat relaxing with a glass of wine, God spoke to me. He told me to stop drinking alcohol and never to drink it again--ever, like I said before. Then the Holy Spirit brought the bolded portion of the following scripture to mind:

Ephesians 5:15-21--Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

When the Spirit brought this to mind, I knew that I had been using alcohol to give me what only His Holy Spirit can give me--true peace and calm. We can use all kinds of things to bring us peace and calm.... Whether it's drugs or alcohol or Yoga or whatever, these things CANNOT give us what God wants to give us. They cannot give us true peace and calm deep down, but they CAN have the opposite effect, ultimately. They CAN destroy us as they have destroyed many by leading them down the wrong path--away from God!

That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

Ephesians 4:11-16--And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, WE ARE TO GROW UP in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's one thing to consider. John McArthur did a teaching on this and said that the wine they drank in Bible times was somewhat weaker than most wine today. Maybe he was right.

Honestly, why are we even having this discussion as Christians? If you use pot legally for medicinal purposes and don't get high, then that's between you and God. For recreational use, this is another story. I would say it's time to grow up! Most of us did this stuff in high school, but now we're adults. We need to live like rational adults and not risk influencing children or drug addicts to partake! And not risk becoming addicts ourselves!

When i was in high school, I got drunk just about every weekend. After God saved me in college, I continued to drink, but not get drunk. One evening, as I sat relaxing with a glass of wine, God spoke to me. He told me to stop drinking alcohol and never to drink it again--ever, like I said before. Then the Holy Spirit brought the bolded portion of the following scripture to mind:

Ephesians 5:15-21--Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

When the Spirit brought this to mind, I knew that I had been using alcohol to give me what only His Holy Spirit can to give me--true peace and calm. We can use all kinds of things to bring us peace and calm.... Whether it's drugs or alcohol or Yoga or whatever, these things CANNOT give us what God wants to give us. They cannot give us true peace and calm deep down, but they CAN have the opposite effect, ultimately. They CAN destroy us as they have destroyed many by leading them down the wrong path--away from God!

Hi PW, Right or wrong on that history, JMac is not someone I would go to for truth.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d argue religion does the same.
Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 4:23
to be renewed in the spirit of your minds;

Colossians 3:10
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why stop at pot and alcohol, why not cut out sugar completely?

have y’all seen how fat people are?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 4:23
to be renewed in the spirit of your minds;

Colossians 3:10
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
So how do you explain the fat christians. They didn’t get that way from on lollipop .