Is it right for a Christian to hold a Bible in one hand and a doobie in the other?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
keep the humor coming. Serious topic...to all, why would we think that a Christian should be ok doing pot and why should he or she not. Is our answer going to be biblical...common sense....or about legalities? We have listened to the experts on Corona virus...not so good. I want to know experiences from real people.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
keep the humor coming. Serious topic...to all, why would we think that a Christian should be ok doing pot and why should he or she not. Is our answer going to be biblical...common sense....or about legalities? We have listened to the experts on Corona virus...not so good. I want to know experiences from real people.
Are you talking to me?

I just think it's useless to discuss this topic when there's a forgone conclusion that it's okay to smoke pot for any and every reason. So...like someone I know, I use humor to be able to stomach the stupidity of it. But I defend everyone's constitutional right to be just as stupid as they want to be!

How's that?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems to be a legitimate question. I run into it more and more and I think it is one of many topics that fuels hatred because those that indulge in recreational pharmaceuticals are tired of being looked down at. They want society to accept them as drug abusers, as a norm. And of course this goes on into other pervasive beliefs and activities.
Every seed bearing plant is good for food or medicine.
But what was created in the beginning has been manipulated by man through cross pollination.
Pharmaceutical companies use derivatives of plants to make meds but they add so many inert compounds to it that it distorts the effects of what it is suppose to do.
I would rather never take anything that has been modified by science.
I am a holistic person....try to keep it as natural as possible.
I am allergic to any weed with 3 or more leaves....ivy, oak, sumac, and marijuana.
Break out in awful hives even if just the wind blowing with the pollen in it.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ARE YOU TALKING TO ME! YOU TALKING TO ME! LOL

I am talking....I am talking among friends. So lets talk.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what was created in the beginning has been manipulated by man through cross pollination.
Pharmaceutical companies use derivatives of plants to make meds but they add so many inert compounds to it that it distorts the effects of what it is suppose to do.
I am allergic to any weed with 3 or more leaves....ivy, oak, sumac, and marijuana.
lol What happens to you?
Nothing wrong with holistic....some of my best friends are holistic....I know a mystic that is holistic...

Reactions: Waiting on him

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good questions and first and foremost to consider is there anything we can use from Scripture either morally, ethically, character, sober -minded/clear thinking, stumbling block principles that we can apply to the use of marijuana that can shed some light on the issue. And I know its a cliché but WWJD ? Would we be comfortable lighting up in His presence ? What about at your small group bible study ? What about asking your pastor when you are over his house for lunch if he wouldn't mind of you lit up ? Just a few things to consider.

And I will be the first to say there are medicinal reasons such as cancer where it is helpful for the patient.

Then we have to consider the laws where we live on the legal issues involved with smoking it.

hope this helps !!!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very true about pharmaceuticals. They isolate one compound from a plant instead of using the whole plant’s compounds, which work synergistically. A good example is the compound oleuropein found in olive leaf. I read a report that the compound by itself is not effective, but olive leaf is very useful when taken whole....

Also, when single compounds are isolated, there are more side effects. I've taken olive leaf for years with no side effects.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good questions and first and foremost to consider is there anything we can use from Scripture either morally, ethically, character, sober -minded/clear thinking, stumbling block principles that we can apply to the use of marijuana that can shed some light on the issue. And I know its a cliché but WWJD ? Would we be comfortable lighting up in His presence ? What about at your small group bible study ? What about asking your pastor when you are over his house for lunch if he wouldn't mind of you lit up ? Just a few things to consider.

And I will be the first to say there are medicinal reasons such as cancer where it is helpful for the patient.

Then we have to consider the laws where we live on the legal issues involved with smoking it.

hope this helps !!!
I've read mixed reviews from studies about its medical uses, esp. for pain. It seems that it's not as effective as they thought.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true about pharmaceuticals. They isolate one compound from a plant instead of using the whole plant’s compounds, which work synergistically. A good example is the compound oleuropein found in olive leaf. I read a report that the compound by itself is not effective, but olive leaf is very useful when taken whole....

Also, when single compounds are isolated, there are more side effects. I've taken olive leaf for years with no side effects.
The commercials on TV advertising a certain pharmaceutical drug always makes me laugh when it list all the side effects the drug can cause.
Some even life threatening...and people allow themselves to be convinced the cure is worth the risk:rolleyes:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deuteronomy 14:26 KJV
[26] And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Can you believe this, God didn’t consult the sanctimonious.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The commercials on TV advertising a certain pharmaceutical drug always makes me laugh when it list all the side effects the drug can cause.
Some even life threatening...and people allow themselves to be convinced the cure is worth the risk:rolleyes:
My kids and I were commenting on those commercials recently. Have you ever noticed how everyone is smiling and having a good time? The message is "take this drug, and life will be perfect," lol!

Yeah, right. Put your glasses on and read the fine print. Most of them say that the drug can cause death or some other serous side effect.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If marijuana is used for pain, I would think it's safer than opioids, but people need to know the possible side effects.

Is medical marijuana safe?

Further study is needed to answer this question, but possible side effects of medical marijuana may include:

• Increased heart rate
  • Dizziness
  • Impaired concentration and memory
  • Slower reaction times
  • Negative drug-to-drug interactions
  • Increased risk of heart attack and stroke
  • Increased appetite
  • Potential for addiction
  • Cyclic vomiting syndrome
  • Hallucinations or mental illness
  • Withdrawal symptoms
Source: What you can expect from medical marijuana

Reactions: ChristisGod

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

hope this helps !!!
Jesus would say do as the morally superior say, but don’t do as they do.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had a little girl that was in our church...knew her in golden locks. Same age as my kids. Well when they turn into teenagers they can keep you busy, good and bad. I lost my son to drugs and that is long story. But this young girl was in and out of the group. She started running with a group that was living out of town...older guys...just older not old. They started her on pot...kept her busy. That soon went to meth. Before I knew it she showed up at her mother's next to death. Her mother called me....why do they wait? I was sitting on the front porch and she was talking through one of those throat "things" She told me what they did to her. They had worn her throat out using it. One of the last things she said to me, I have seen you fight, why didn't you fight for me. The only answer I had for her was that she had fallen off my radar. Her words haunt me to this day...day after day. I did fight for her, but it was too late, she died shortly after that.

If there is something that we can say here that can save someone from anything like that, then it is good. I still see her golden locks. That little girl could be your sister or your daughter. You can keep a rattlesnake as a pet....sooner or later it will bite ya. It is not just the drug, it is the culture of the drug. We can share a good meal, who do you share the pot with.

Life is full of choices...a lot of our choices determine where we will end up...in this world and the next. How our choices affect other people maybe something we will have to answer to in the end. Justification is the gateway to wrong, it is the gateway to crime, it is the gateway to sin. In such matters it would be good for a Christian to take justification out their vocabulary.

I do not want to lose anybody to drugs, much less Christians. If you got a reason for smoking pot, we need to talk about it.

Last edited: