Is it right for a Christian to hold a Bible in one hand and a doobie in the other?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The commercials on TV advertising a certain pharmaceutical drug always makes me laugh when it list all the side effects the drug can cause.
Some even life threatening...and people allow themselves to be convinced the cure is worth the risk:rolleyes:
lol Ya fungus medicine that has a side effect of death. I will cut the nail off, thank you.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it right for a Christian to hold a Bible in one hand and a doobie in the other?
Here are a few Biblical considerations,

1. Is it legal? Paul wrote in Romans 13:1-5 that we should obey the Law of the Land
unless/until it would make us disobedient to God, directly.

Abstaining from illegal drugs does not violate the latter.
But there is grace, too, for those who are not yet convicted of that.
There is also grace for those who ARE so convicted,
but such are likely to be disciplined by God in the matter [Hebrews 12:6].

2. If not illegal, what does the Bible say about recreational drugs?
Relatively little. This is where the believer has judicious liberty.

"All things are lawful for me,
but not all things are helpful;​
all things are lawful for me,
but not all things [are good for you]." 1 Corinthians 10:23 NKJV​

3. What does medical science say about smoking marijuana?
There are a lot of conflicting reports.
We know that tobacco --which is legal--
is a concentrated pollutant and
is intentionally made to be addictive.​
Again, this is where the believer has judicious liberty.

"All things are lawful for me,
but all things are not helpful.
All things are lawful for me,
but I will not be brought under the power of any." 1 Corinthians 6:12 NKJV

4. How does it affect you, personally?
  • Does it reduce your sexual restraint (toward illicit affairs)?
  • Does it amplify your temper? (Unwarranted anger = murder [Matthew 5:21-22])
  • Does it cause you to steal money away from your rent, groceries or other financial obligations?
  • Does it otherwise impair your judgment, when you must be responsible...?
Jesus said,
"If your right eye causes you to sin,
pluck it out and cast it from you;
for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish,
than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
And if your right hand causes you to sin,
cut it off and cast it from you;
for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish,
than for your whole body to be cast into hell." Matthew 5:29-30 NKJV​

Easier still, if your recreational drug causes you to sin,...

5. If none of these apply, keep doing what you are doing unless/until they do. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This seems to be a legitimate question. I run into it more and more and I think it is one of many topics that fuels hatred because those that indulge in recreational pharmaceuticals are tired of being looked down at. They want society to accept them as drug abusers, as a norm. And of course this goes on into other pervasive beliefs and activities.
I know a believer with chronic pain who went to a doctor. Doc offered him Oxycontin and Valium. He turned them down and instead uses cannabis. A tip of the hat to him.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a believer with chronic pain who went to a doctor. Doc offered him Oxycontin and Valium. He turned them down and instead uses cannabis. A tip of the hat to him.
And that is just the thing. How does all that turn out? Is there a happy ending to that story? Is he a father, if so, how does he handle that with his kids? Chronic pain...disabling? A lot of the people that have prescriptions or self medicate live on disability. To keep the pain down they smoke quit often so keeping a job that could support themselves would be difficult, much less a family. If there are exceptions to the rule tell us about it.

Then, help me out. Talk to me about CBD oil...how effective is that? Is smoking a requirement? I do not know that much about it from real people.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am trying to get to here on this thread is the real. The real from real people. Tell me about the real.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, thanks for stepping up to plate.
And cope...tell me about cope...some examples.
I haven’t smoked pot for decades, but I’ve lost a son in law to heroine, and nearly lost a daughter. By the grace of God she’s been clean for nearly four years. What I’ve concluded is the reason she went down that road is because even though I was in the home I was an absent father. The kind that’s wasn’t drinking or doping, just one that couldn’t give her the love and affection that a little girl wants and needs so desperately.

I am a workaholic, this was my drug my escape. I believe this is the case for so many. in your earlier post you stated the girl with locks mother called. Where was her father.

I still struggle with this to this day, you see I was raised this way both mother and father absent us four left to fend for ourselves. People do what they know if they knew better I believe they’d do better. We live in a fallen world.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t smoked pot for decades, but I’ve lost a son in law to heroine, and nearly lost a daughter. By the grace of God she’s been clean for nearly four years. What I’ve concluded is the reason she went down that road is because even though I was in the home I was an absent father. The kind that’s wasn’t drinking or doping, just one that couldn’t give her the love and affection that a little girl wants and needs so desperately.

I am a workaholic, this was my drug my escape. I believe this is the case for so many. in your earlier post you stated the girl with locks mother called. Where was her father.

I still struggle with this to this day, you see I was raised this way both mother and father absent us four left to fend for ourselves. People do what they know if they knew better I believe they’d do better. We live in a fallen world.
Now that is honesty....golden! Thanks. We think that it is important to "make a living" but you do not have a life if that is all we are doing.
I did the best I could but there were times I was not there. I actually fell for the lead by example thing because it does not always work. You know they say it takes a village to raise children and I had a lot of help.

The young girl's father had passed away.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that is honesty....golden! Thanks. We think that it is important to "make a living" but you do not have a life if that is all we are doing.
I did the best I could but there were times I was not there. I actually fell for the lead by example thing because it does not always work. You know they say it takes a village to raise children and I had a lot of help.

I’m certain that was extreme for her to cope with.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe many treat themselves the way they feel they deserve to be treated. This is taught at an early age. Unfortunately for my girls I was saved at a later age after the damage was done. The answer is in the message being taught early in the home. The power of life and death is definitely in the tongue.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought I could love that son in law enough to get through to him, but the truth was all he knew was reject, because it was all he was ever taught, to this day I believe it’s why my daughter chose him.

God help us!

though he left this world rejecting Christ I don’t believe for one moment God will reject him. You see God used him to reveal to me myself, and he used him to teach me.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am trying to get to here on this thread is the real. The real from real people. Tell me about the real.
You want real?? I started drinking in high school because all of my friends had started in junior high, but I resisted until I couldn't stand having no friends, so I joined them. We were all in the band together--a pretty close-knit group. I drank to get drunk, and it felt good to numb the pain of not having a close family. And I was very shy back then, so alcohol "helped" me with that in a sad sort of way.

When God told me never to drink again in college, I knew that He was protecting me. After my husband died, my kids and I were in some very difficult circumstances. I've talked about this some. For the first time in many years, I was tempted to go back to drinking.... But because I was committed to obeying God, by His grace, I didn't. And God took us through the trial and on to better circumstances. I'm grateful that God gave me the strength to resist the temptation.

If I had not obeyed God as a baby Christian in college when He told me never to drink again, I know that alcohol would have been a HUGE problem for me as my family has gone through some very painful trials over the last 15 years. One trial made me question God's existence for the first time in my life; it was so incredibly painful.

But I can say that God was there at those times, and being inebriated would have obscured my ability to see Him and hear Him assure me that everything would be okay.... I know that not hearing Him would have done me in!

Hope this gives someone hope! God is real. He will be with you when you need Him the most!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that is just the thing. How does all that turn out? Is there a happy ending to that story? Is he a father, if so, how does he handle that with his kids? Chronic pain...disabling? A lot of the people that have prescriptions or self medicate live on disability. To keep the pain down they smoke quit often so keeping a job that could support themselves would be difficult, much less a family. If there are exceptions to the rule tell us about it.

Then, help me out. Talk to me about CBD oil...how effective is that? Is smoking a requirement? I do not know that much about it from real people.
Hi. First off, I'd like to say that many thousands die from opioids/opiates and millions more have their lives destroyed by the physical dependence and addiction, which, by the way, are 2 different issues.
When one is not overwhelmed by the above, they can have a calm life. While pain is not eliminated, it can be brought to a manageable level. People will then be less depressed, which in turn will lessen pain.
Responsible people have a vapor barrier room to protect others from the smoke. Or they may choose edibles. Then there are the vapes, which can be used just about anywhere.
Contrary to popular opinion, Reefer Madness was not based on anything close to reality. I once saw it listed as a comedy, which it is.
As always, you continue to love your kids and do what's best for them.
Without the love of Christ in the world, I doubt there would be disability pensions. I personally view them as a blessing from the Lord.
I've found CBD to be quite helpful, especially since it doesn't get you high, which I don't like. Since smoking is unhealthy, I'd suggest that one ingest it.
Addiction originates in the sinful, diseased state of the human soul. Drugs, sex, gambling, exercise, fishing, and religion are all counterfeits that block what God wants to do in one.
Some with a disability can work, some can't. "Defend the fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82:3-4 KJV

Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought I could love that son in law enough to get through to him, but the truth was all he knew was reject, because it was all he was ever taught, to this day I believe it’s why my daughter chose him.

God help us!

though he left this world rejecting Christ I don’t believe for one moment God will reject him. You see God used him to reveal to me myself, and he used him to teach me.
Great testimony.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This seems to be a legitimate question. I run into it more and more and I think it is one of many topics that fuels hatred because those that indulge in recreational pharmaceuticals are tired of being looked down at. They want society to accept them as drug abusers, as a norm. And of course this goes on into other pervasive beliefs and activities.
No more then drinking beer in my opinion, not that I have ever seen one drunk, but they may of been over the Australian limit to drive a car say of 0.05 but so what that means bugger all at 0.05 to most people who do drink.
So as to smoking weed well that depends on what type of weed they are smoking. even if I were to have a puff of a normal legal smokes that would blow me away for 5 min I would think, but back in the 1980s when I did smoke some dope leaf and tip of the day was nothing, you were not blown away but just happy like.
Their is a huge difference on what it is that you are smoking, but the question is why are you smoking ?
The crap that people smoke is rubbish nowadays I am sure, only to get smashed like a moron, but it does not have to be such rubbish.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing as an electrician...
I am a commercial/industrial electrician.
Meaning that if it's a plant that manufactures something or an office building...I make it.

Marijuana isn't just grown in the jungle of South America or in the rows of corn anymore...it requires an automated facility with a ton of highly sophisticated and sterilized growing space. Fans and water pumps and all kinds of switches and motor controls... something that I know a lot about.

And I don't do marijuana farms or gunsmithing plants.
They can build them without me.

Both do too much damage for me to involve myself with them.

Not that I have a problem with guns...just the sheer volume of them. Basically they aren't expensive enough and criminals know that they just need to break into enough cars and trucks to get a gun. (People are sloppy with possessions)
But also more guns are used for self inflicted wounds than inflicting others.

Crimes and defense of crimes being committed are a small fraction.

But marijuana destroys lives. I ain't helping.

Reactions: ChristisGod

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worked with many "potheads" and many drunks. The drunks are far worse people, IMO!