IS JESUS GOD?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

christs-love

Sep 23, 2011
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Iv started reading my holy bible, and I've got the impression that Jesus is God. Is that right or wrong?

The Beginning
(Genesis 1:1–2; Hebrews 11:1–3)

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcomea it.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Iv started reading my holy bible, and I've got the impression that Jesus is God. Is that right or wrong?

The Beginning

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcomea it.
It's pretty clear isn't it?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Beginning

There are some problems with that idea.

The first is that the bible tells us there is one God, not 2 or 3.

Another major contradiction is that Christ speaks to God often. Who do you suppose Jesus was praying to in the garden before he got arrested? Himself?

When Christ was most afraid He prayed to God. I'm still yet to hear anyone give a valid explanation for that, one that makes sense. The only explanation is that God is another entity. I don't understand how it can be otherwise

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane and APAK

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are some problems with that idea.

The first is that the bible tells us there is one God, not 2 or 3.

Another major contradiction is that Christ speaks to God often. Who do you suppose Jesus was praying to in the garden before he got arrested? Himself?

When Christ was most afraid He prayed to God. I'm still yet to hear anyone give a valid explanation for that, one that makes sense. The only explanation is that God is another entity. I don't understand how it can be otherwise

Cristo.....what is apparent is that us humans have limitations in understanding the reality of God's existence. We try to put it into our parameters.....and it doesn't work well.

What are our parameters? well, the first one I think of is we are three dimensional......that is our normal.
Is it possible to understand an intelligent reality to have two dimensions? What about four or five dimensions? All of a sudden we are speaking of a reality we really don't understand apart from esoteric and or philosophical spruiking.

Let's say we take the four living creatures around God's throne described in Revelation 4:6-8 (you need to check it)...what sort of a reality is being described here?.....tricky hey?

Soooo, let's give God who as we understand is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent, meaning, he is everywhere at once, he is all knowing and he has all power, some credit and not try to squeeze him into our very very small box like a pagan who can rationalise that God can be manifested in an image they create.

God has done something with and for humans that it is our privilege to discover.... Get ready for the ride of your life Alice!

There are many many things to say but because I don't care to preach or make this post unnecessarily long, suffice it to say that John and his mates who spent some years with Jesus....had chats that a fly on the wall would have been blessed to hear, summarises God's reality in the first chapter of the book named after him....just as our new friend 'christs-love' posted in his/her thread here.

We can trust that it is exactly how John describes it without attempting to make it mean something else.

.....here it is again as a refresher....John 1:1-14

The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John.7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Beginning

right. The doctrine of the Trinity can be confusing if you over think it. So basically, you have 3 persons and they all are God. There is the Father, then Jesus, then the Holy Spirit. All are co-existent, co-equal, and co-powerful. They all have a role concerning our salvation. So you have three persons, 1 God.
The Westminster Confessions describes the Trinity like this;
“There is but one only, living, and true God, who is infinite in being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions; immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, most wise, most holy, most free, most absolute; working all things according to the counsel of his own immutable and most righteous will, for his own glory; most loving, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; the rewarder of them that diligently seek him; and withal, most just, and terrible in his judgments, hating all sin, and who will by no means clear the guilty.”
“In the unity of the Godhead there be three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost: the Father is of none, neither begotten, nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son.”

hope that helps.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IS JESUS GOD?
OP^

Partly...
Expressly Jesus was the (seen) Word of God, in a body God prepared. (Son)
Expressly Christ is the (unseen) Wisdom, Power, Spirit, Seed of God. (Father)
One Lord God Almighty; Creator and Maker.

* Mortal men do not SEE God.
* All Mortal men SEE the results of Gods Creations and Making.
* Mortal men WITH God (via Belief) experience blessings from God, and hope of Salvation.
Mortal men WITH and IN God (via Saved) experience INNER peace and joy, and Security of Eternal life with God, effected by, through, of; Christ Jesus.

Glory to God,
Taken

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Cristo.....what is apparent is that us humans have limitations in understanding the reality of God's existence. We try to put it into our parameters.....and it doesn't work well.

I agree. That's why we can't know for sure. I would say that God is most probably another entity but I'm not 100% sure. I admit I could be wrong

Much of the bible and Jesus' words are told in parables and metaphors which makes it hard to interpret at times. It's easy to pick out bible phrases to support one side or the other.

But actions are stronger than words. And Jesus actions are that he speaks and prays to God on several occasions. The garden of Gethsemane is the first that comes to mind.

That's why I think that God is most probably another entity.

Reactions: APAK

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Beginning

Hi Love, welcome to the forum new one. It is easy to see using that verse that one would conclude that Jesus is God, but keep in mind, that is not the Bible, rather a version of the Bible. Other verses contradict that passage, and with a little research you will be able to see that the translator of that version deliberately mistranslated it to promote their agenda. In fact that very same version translated the same rendering as a god at Acts 28:6.

The Bible teaches that Jehovah is God Jeremiah 10:10:
10 But Jehovah is truly God.
He is the living God and the eternal King.
Because of his indignation the earth will quake,
And no nations will endure his denunciation.

Jesus once asked some of his apostles who men were saying he was, and Peter spoke up and said:
(Matthew 16:16) . . .“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.. . .
Jesus said to him: (Matthew 16:17) . . .“Happy you are, Simon son of Joʹnah, because flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but my Father in the heavens did.
So like Peter, I will say no, Jesus is the son of the living God Jehovah.

Hope that helps. Bob

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are our parameters? well, the first one I think of is we are three dimensional......that is our normal.
Is it possible to understand an intelligent reality to have two dimensions? What about four or five dimensions? All of a sudden we are speaking of a reality we really don't understand apart from esoteric and or philosophical spruiking.

Let's say we take the four living creatures around God's throne described in Revelation 4:6-8 (you need to check it)...what sort of a reality is being described here?.....tricky hey?

Soooo, let's give God who as we understand is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent, meaning, he is everywhere at once, he is all knowing and he has all power, some credit and not try to squeeze him into our very very small box like a pagan who can rationalise that God can be manifested in an image they create.

God has done something with and for humans that it is our privilege to discover.... Get ready for the ride of your life Alice!

There are many many things to say but because I don't care to preach or make this post unnecessarily long, suffice it to say that John and his mates who spent some years with Jesus....had chats that a fly on the wall would have been blessed to hear, summarises God's reality in the first chapter of the book named after him....just as our new friend 'christs-love' posted in his/her thread here.

We can trust that it is exactly how John describes it without attempting to make it mean something else.

.....here it is again as a refresher....John 1:1-14

The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John.7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

QT: Being another outer dimensional apologist and a defender of the crown of traditions and errs. And yet John 1:14 never says Christ is God Almighty now does he? It's that simple. The word of God became/into the possession of Christ, the man. We have to carry the thoughts and meaning in verses 1 and 2 into verse 14 to make sense out of it. Christ, before that time, did not have the word, the actual inherent attribute of God himself, which is his logos or expressions and voice. Christ thus became the expression or voice of his Father, when the word became/ into a human being, at that point in time in history, and not before!

Just by stating that the word became (he possessed God's expression and voice/logos during his life) Christ, the word of God, his Father, versus being the word and God himself, makes Christ not God for starters, and also not inherently having his actual word/logos of God, his Father that created everything into existence before Christ.

Quite simple if one bothers to be open minded and not locked into traditional dogma of errors and deceit.

Again, scripture never says Jesus IS the the actual logos of his Father, God, ever. Scripture does say however, that his Father's logos was possessed by his Son, the human being, during his life. And that his Son BECAME the word of his Father, who is the one God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Beginning

You will get varying answers here as some of the members are non-trinitarian. But the bible is clear Jesus is God, he even said so on different occasions. Most Christians agree that Jesus is God. Or rather the son of God the Father. And God has three parts, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. That's why we can't know for sure. I would say that God is most probably another entity but I'm not 100% sure. I admit I could be wrong

Much of the bible and Jesus' words are told in parables and metaphors which makes it hard to interpret at times. It's easy to pick out bible phrases to support one side or the other.

But actions are stronger than words. And Jesus actions are that he speaks and prays to God on several occasions. The garden of Gethsemane is the first that comes to mind.

That's why I think that God is most probably another entity.
You have it correct Cristo!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will get varying answers here as some of the members are non-trinitarian. But the bible is clear Jesus is God, he even said so on different occasions. Most Christians agree that Jesus is God. Or rather the son of God the Father. And God has three parts, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.
Hey Devin. I just want to rattle your brain a bit. Nothing too disturbing for you I believe.

Do you follow most 'Christians' as if there is a set established set of doctrine given by God? And compiled by men and their traditions. Or do you follow God's logos that was spoken and written down by men of God?

You do know that logos/word cannot ever be defined as any creature let alone another human being. The Greek transliterated word logos is an 'it' and never a person.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Devin. I just want to rattle your brain a bit. Nothing too disturbing for you I believe.

Do you follow most 'Christians' as if there is a set established set of doctrine given by God? And compiled by men and their traditions. Or do you follow God's logos that was spoken and written down by men of God?

You do know that logos/word cannot ever be defined as any creature let alone another human being. The Greek transliterated word logos is an 'it' and never a person.
I believe that most people can and do understand the bible. In that regard most people will get the trinity correct. Philippians 2:6

"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also over the years I have witness more people adding confusion by trying to render their own interpretation of the bible. I stick with the King James version and just accept it.

Reactions: marks

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Beginning

It seems to me Jesus is God in flesh. I think Matthew 1:23 is evidence of this. Even if he isn't, he is Lord and Savior.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Before any of us existed, ie, any of the inhabitants on the whole earth today, God did something in Jesus. The angels announced it with great joy and wealthy travellers from a far land were inspired and guided to take a long journey with valuable gifts to give.

All the prattling and counter prattling about the details of what this one or what that one thinks is nothing more than self obsession and judgement of the other.

Frankly, it's an embarrassment to this brown duck that what God has intended for all people becomes the touchstone for division.
Has it been any different even in earlier generations?
What is our affliction?

Good News is not good advice, contrary to how much we want to think it is......and to throw the last pebble into the circle, it's not bad news either.....for anyone.....particularly sinners.

Anyone exempt?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is a "Holy" Bible diff from the norm one?
anyway, Why do you call Me good? No one is good but God (theos) suggests that Jesus is not even good!
Jesus does the will of the Father, his works are good. He also has been glorified and sits at the right hand of God and acts with power from God the Father. If you don't believe he is part of God then you should believe he is the Son of God, which makes him the direct descendant of God. That seems to say he is a god at some level.