Is Jesus the only Way?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed and what if this gentile woman had been so sensitive to the words of Jesus when he effectively called her a dog?

"But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs.
And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Matt 15:26-27
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what happened in this thread.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without that "Book' there would be no way to test the spirits.It would be one person's word against another...
Not so! What book did Elijah carry with him when he withstood the 400 prophets of Baal? Lots of people today do read their Bibles and disagree with one another. The deciding factor is what God thinks without regard to whether both parties to a scriptural question are in error or not. It is the Spirit of God that is to test the spirits.

"I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase." I Cor 3:6-7

Isaiah 8:20 (KJV) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Are you really saying that all which @Episkopos has written on this thread and other thread contains none of the Light of God? Hopefully this is not the case, but the way you presented this post make it appear that way. Is defending a favored brother worth acting as if you alone or your brother alone were always on God's side? Remember the verses from Solomon about speaking or being silent?

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
(Act 17:11)

If they checked out the Apostles teaching against the Scripture (and were considered noble for doing so) how much more are we to check out 'prophet Bob' and 'Apostle Gary' against Scripture?
Unless God has given you a personal revelation that the writer of the OP is a false prophet would it not be best to be silent... or at least to specify his error(s) with the scriptures instead alluding to them and using another name other than @Episkopos ? When you are pointing fingers at someone is it not best at least to be completely honest about it? God surely knows who you mean since all of the readers of this thread seem to...!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what happened in this thread.
Are you the final arbiter here? That woman readily admitted she was a dog and would be content to only receive crumbs from the Master's table. What is it that you wish to receive here? Will not crumbs from Him satisfy what you are seeking? What do you seek?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I took back a like on the rest of the post due to that wording, but the way I see people downgrade the Bible compared their own "revelation" truly concerns me.

Without an objective standard by which to compare ourselves, we compare ourselves by ourselves, and by each other, that that does not lead to good things, when everyone does what is right in their own eyes.

Too many people are too good at fooling themselves. My thinking anyway. But I'll never never set aside the Authority of the Bible.

Much love!
The authority can be found in the written text of the Bible my friend, but without the Holy Spirit to interpret for us, we are like the hearers of the parables of Jesus who understanding His words failed to understand God's message. All of us fail to understand when we quench the Holy Spirit and decide something is wrong because it goes against what we believe... How is it that Holy Spirit is able to teach anyone anything if everyone's ears are closed?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man does not live by bread alone . . . but by every word of God.

This was spoken by the Some One Who said, I am the bread of life.
It was spoken by Jesus, not by anyone's Bible. Bibles alone do not speak. If the words written in the Bible speak to you, it is the Holy Spirit in you quickening them. A real atheist with a closed heart will read the same words of scriptures you read and not hear a thing from God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You put words in my mouth.

You think I approve of harsh and rude treatment from anyone? Towards anyone?

Your best defense of your teacher is that his insults to me were inspired by someone else insulting him, and since I didn't speak against that, I deserve what I get. Or so it seems to me.

Much love!

Once again, I wasn't defending him.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the bible was authoritative of itself then the devil's use of it towards Jesus would have been final. No rebuttal would have been possible. Jesus responded with words ALSO from the bible...by the Spirit...the combination of which was authoritative. But there are some here that recognize, as well as me, that anything Jesus said was authoritative... even if was never recorded in the bible. (imagine that):rolleyes:

Actually the Holy Spirit speaking is the voice of God.

Imagine when at Antioch and the bible records that the Holy Spirit spoke out..."separate for Me Paul and Barnabas"...would God have permitted some clown to say...Hey! I don't see that anywhere in the bible? Such is the foolishness of some on this forum.

The people who claim the bible is authoritative of itself show their hypocrisy as soon as you post a verse they don't agree with. So these are liars. If the bible was seen as truly authoritative as they say...these would bend their opinion to the words of the bible. But these NEVER do so. It never even crosses their mind. But the sons of God are led by the Spirit (not the bible). God is still alive. He can use the bible...for the weak in faith. But God can speak on His own. We are to live by every word that proceeds...present tense...from the mouth of God..not just every verse in the bible. The bible can be very useful if we allow the Spirit to teach us through it.

So what the reality is with these "bible followers" (who lie about this)... is that the doctrine and authority they claim as coming from a book actually comes from their OPINIONS...with verses stolen from the bible that suit their own purpose. No truth there.

I don't bother with liars and hypocrites to argue these points...we are not to contend with the flesh.

Last edited:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you the final arbiter here? That woman readily admitted she was a dog and would be content to only receive crumbs from the Master's table. What is it that you wish to receive here? Will not crumbs from Him satisfy what you are seeking? What do you seek?
Did you read through all the thread?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the bible was authoritative of itself then the devil's use of it towards Jesus would have been final. No rebuttal would have been possible. Jesus responded with words ALSO from the bible...by the Spirit...the combination of which was authoritative. But there are some here that recognize, as well as me, that anything Jesus said was authoritative... even if was never recorded in the bible. (imagine that):rolleyes:

Actually the Holy Spirit speaking is the voice of God.

Imagine when at Antioch and the bible records that the Holy Spirit spoke out..."separate for Me Paul and Barnabas"...would God have permitted some clown to say...Hey! I don't see that anywhere in the bible? Such is the foolishness of some on this forum.

The people who claim the bible is authoritative of itself show their hypocrisy as soon as you post a verse they don't agree with. So these are liars. If the bible was seen as truly authoritative as they say...these would bend their opinion to the words of the bible. But these NEVER do so. It never even crosses their mind. But the sons of God are led by the Spirit (not the bible). God is still alive. He can use the bible...for the weak in faith. But God can speak on His own. We are to live by every word that proceeds...present tense...from the mouth of God..not just every verse in the bible. The bible can be very useful if we allow the Spirit to teach us through it.

So what the reality is with these "bible followers" (who lie about this)... is that the doctrine and authority they claim as coming from a book actually comes from their OPINIONS...with verses stolen from the bible that suit their own purpose. No truth there.

I don't bother with liars and hypocrites to argue these points...we are not to contend with the flesh.
I don't believe for one second that the Holy Spirit through Christ Jesus is speaking through you in your opinions or teachings.
The Bible is the only authority to compare with teachings and yours don't match up with scriptures. You keep attacking those who bring up the Bible as the final authority.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read through all the thread?
Yes, but I especially did not read all of the bickering posts carefully. Apparently some people took offense and lashed out when they were offended.

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!" Matt 18:7

If either you or @Episkopos or @any of the others engaged offended someone needlessly then I suppose the verse might apply, but it is not my job to sort that out or to render judgment. Perhaps a moderator could do that but I am not a moderator.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but I especially did not read all of the bickering posts carefully. Apparently some people took offense and lashed out when they were offended.

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!" Matt 18:7

If either you or @Episkopos or @any of the others engaged offended someone needlessly then I suppose the verse might apply, but it is not my job to sort that out or to render judgment. Perhaps a moderator could do that but I am not a moderator.
Whatever amadeus , have a nice evening!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so! What book did Elijah carry with him when he withstood the 400 prophets of Baal? Lots of people today do read their Bibles and disagree with one another. The deciding factor is what God thinks without regard to whether both parties to a scriptural question are in error or not. It is the Spirit of God that is to test the spirits.

"I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase." I Cor 3:6-7
Elijah was a Prophet. Prophets and Apostles oftens spoke the authoritative Word of God. There is no one today whose words are on the level of Scripture. NONE.
If there is a difference of opinion between two believers on spiritual matters, are they to both claim "The Spirit told me", or "The Scripture says". IOW what is the final arbiter between two disagreeing parties? How are we to test the spirits when each claim it is the Holy Spirit?

Are you really saying that all which @Episkopos has written on this thread and other thread contains none of the Light of God? Hopefully this is not the case, but the way you presented this post make it appear that way. Is defending a favored brother worth acting as if you alone or your brother alone were always on God's side? Remember the verses from Solomon about speaking or being silent?
I am sure Episkopos can represent himself. He personally can take his grievance to me. Mt 18:15 etc.

Unless God has given you a personal revelation that the writer of the OP is a false prophet would it not be best to be silent... or at least to specify his error(s) with the scriptures instead alluding to them and using another name other than @Episkopos ? When you are pointing fingers at someone is it not best at least to be completely honest about it? God surely knows who you mean since all of the readers of this thread seem to...!

That is your assumption I had Episkopos specifically in mind when I mentioned 'Prophet Bob' or 'Apostle Gary'. Newsflash-I didn't. I don't even know Episkopos. All I do is go by what someone writes.
Again, I am sure he can answer for himself. This third party indirect discussion about another is not good.

Reactions: marks and tzcho2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Elijah was a Prophet. Prophets and Apostles oftens spoke the authoritative Word of God. There is no one today whose words are on the level of Scripture. NONE.
When any person is "in His name" and speaking only as the Holy Spirit directs then what he speaks is the Word of God. Should we compare what is written in the scripture with what God speaks through a person and decide when what He said was at the highest level? A person speaking may speaks God's Word or not... or it is as often happens what he says may be a mixture of the two. Perhaps this one reason Apostle Paul was led to write this:

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

If there is a difference of opinion between two believers on spiritual matters, are they to both claim "The Spirit told me", or "The Scripture says". IOW what is the final arbiter between two disagreeing parties? How are we to test the spirits when each claim it is the Holy Spirit?
This thing of two people arguing and each one claiming to be speaking God's Word as per the Holy Spirit is not so uncommon even on this forum and the reason for it is that too often some or all will speak a mixture as I mentioned above. When no admits the possibility that he is in error no real resolution between people is likely... What I do to tests the spirits of two engaged in such a disagreement would only be binding on me as I am convicted by God about it. The same verse I quoted above [II Cor 10:12] should be considered carefully by each person involved if he really is interested in God's point of view on the matter.

I am sure Episkopos can represent himself. He personally can take his grievance to me. Mt 18:15 etc.
Certainly, but as several have chosen to speak out against him, I was led to speak a few words from the other side without calling names unnecessarily. You think he is always wrong apparently, but I know that on more than one occasion his words have blessed me. I don't say that lightly.

That is your assumption I had Episkopos specifically in mind when I mentioned 'Prophet Bob' or 'Apostle Gary'. Newsflash-I didn't. I don't even know Episkopos. All I do is go by what someone writes.
Again, I am sure he can answer for himself. This third party indirect discussion about another is not good.
There was a bit of 2nd party fingering pointing from what I saw. In any case, I was certain to tag him like this @Episkopos to be certain he was aware of everything said about him if he were interested. This is a public forum and he is here.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The people who claim the bible is authoritative of itself show their hypocrisy as soon as you post a verse they don't agree with. So these are liars. If the bible was seen as truly authoritative as they say...these would bend their opinion to the words of the bible. But these NEVER do so. It never even crosses their mind. But the sons of God are led by the Spirit (not the bible). God is still alive. He can use the bible...for the weak in faith...

You definitely seem to have bitterness against those who want to take their stand with Scripture. I wish you would address people directly instead of taking these anonymous pop-shots. I see why now you haven't answered me in my past few posts to you.

Anyhow if two Christians both claiming "The Lord spoke to me and told me ABC and XYZ" respectively, yet ABC and XYZ contradicted each other, where are you going to see which one is telling the truth? I go to Scripture, that's what I mean by it being our final authority in spiritual matters. You may even find in Scripture than MNO is the actual answer.

Then you say the Bible is for the weak in faith.
Paul had a different view...

When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.
(2Ti 4:13)

AT Robertson in his word pictures says...

"The books (ta biblia). Probably papyrus rolls. One can only guess what rolls the old preacher longs to have with him, probably copies of Old Testament books, possibly copies of his own letters, and other books used and loved. The old preacher can be happy with his books."

"Especially the parchments (malista tas membranas). Latin membrana. The dressed skins were first made at Pergamum and so termed “parchments.” These in particular would likely be copies of Old Testament books, parchment being more expensive than papyrus, possibly even copies of Christ’s sayings (Luk_1:1-4). We recall that in Act_26:24 Festus referred to Paul’s learning (ta grammata). He would not waste his time in prison."

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When any person is "in His name" and speaking only as the Holy Spirit directs then what he speaks is the Word of God. Should we compare what is written in the scripture with what God speaks through a person and decide when what He said was at the highest level? A person speaking may speaks God's Word or not... or it is as often happens what he says may be a mixture of the two. Perhaps this one reason Apostle Paul was led to write this:

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12
Again, any one can claim anything, we are to test what they say against Scripture. Acts 17:11

This thing of two people arguing and each one claiming to be speaking God's Word as per the Holy Spirit is not so uncommon even on this forum and the reason for it is that too often some or all will speak a mixture as I mentioned above. When no admits the possibility that he is in error no real resolution between people is likely... What I do to tests the spirits of two engaged in such a disagreement would only be binding on me as I am convicted by God about it. The same verse I quoted above [II Cor 10:12] should be considered carefully by each person involved if he really is interested in God's point of view on the matter.

You didn't say from where you 'test the spirits'. Is God's written Word your final arbiter or no?
When you stand before God in Judgment, will your plea be "Your Word said" or "I felt it in my spirit" or "So and So said" Or?

The rest of your comment dealt with Episkopos and as I told you, I am not doing indirect personal gossip. He can write me. I wrote him above.

Last edited:
Reactions: tzcho2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, any one can claim anything, we are to test what they say against Scripture. Acts 17:11
So test away but no one's decision other than God's counts in the end. Anyone who disagrees with Him is wrong and that includes me.

You didn't say from where you 'test the spirits'. Is God's Word your final arbiter or no?
When you stand before God in Judgment, will your plea be "Your Word said" or "I felt it in my spirit" or "So and So said" Or?
I stand before God now daily and each time I connect with Him He lets me know it. He is working with me helping me move toward a 24/7 [pray without ceasing; rejoice in the Lord always; etc.] connection, but while His side is always ready, my part is still not finished, but He is still working on me.

God Word is the final arbiter, but does He share His decision with all of us with regard to each one of us with regard to each decision made about each one us?

I strive to live for God and to surrender to Him continuously. Just in case you did not know it I am a Bible student... but don't pretend be an accomplished theologian. I read the Bible [three languages as that is how He has directed me] and I study it and I talk [pray] to Him about it daily. Sometimes God quickens a little here and a little there in me at His discretion. If I am not prepared now what difference will any tomorrow make? The final testing is today, is it not, rather than after the course is finished and it is too late to correct any errors?

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" Psalm 118:24

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" Matt 6:34

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So test away but no one's decision other than God's counts in the end. Anyone who disagrees with Him is wrong and that includes me.
True, but that doesn't exclude us from the responsibility to test the spirits against Scripture.

I stand before God now daily and each time I connect with Him He lets me know it. He is working with me helping me move toward a 24/7 [pray without ceasing; rejoice in the Lord always; etc.] connection, but while His side is always ready, my part is still not finished, but He is still working on me.

God Word is the final arbiter, but does He share His decision with all of us with regard to each one of us with regard to each decision made about each one us?

I strive to live for God and to surrender to Him continuously. Just in case you did not know it I am a Bible student... but don't pretend be an accomplished theologian. I read the Bible [three languages as that is how He has directed me] and I study it and I talk [pray] to Him about it daily. Sometimes God quickens a little here and a little there in me at His discretion. If I am not prepared now what difference will any tomorrow make? The final testing is today, is it not, rather than after the course is finished and it is too late to correct any errors?

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" Psalm 118:24

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" Matt 6:34
I'm guessing because you said 'God's Word is the final arbiter', that is from where you test the spirits.

I don't discount the fact that we grow by God's grace and by His mercy.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJVS
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You definitely seem to have bitterness against those who want to take their stand with Scripture. I wish you would address people directly instead of taking these anonymous pop-shots. I see why now you haven't answered me in my past few posts to you.

I see speaking to you really as generating strife because you have no idea what you're talking about. I have made clear (I think they are clear enough) posts...which you have taken pot-shots at...without addressing anything honestly from an idea or a biblical verse. What is there to take seriously?
Anyhow if two Christians both claiming "The Lord spoke to me and told me ABC and XYZ" respectively, yet ABC and XYZ contradicted each other, where are you going to see which one is telling the truth? I go to Scripture, that's what I mean by it being our final authority in spiritual matters. You may even find in Scripture than MNO is the actual answer.

And this is a fine example of you not understanding the bible or it's use...unless you are a Messianic.

Concerning the mitzvah of tzitzit.... So then if a brother thinks that he should wear a red bauble on the end of his talit...and another brother thinks it should be green...they could consult the bible together to discover that actually the bauble is to be blue according to the techelet!

Numbers 15:38
38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue.

So this is very practical?! o_O:confused:

Then you say the Bible is for the weak in faith.
Paul had a different view...

When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.
(2Ti 4:13)

AT Robertson in his word pictures says...

"The books (ta biblia). Probably papyrus rolls. One can only guess what rolls the old preacher longs to have with him, probably copies of Old Testament books, possibly copies of his own letters, and other books used and loved. The old preacher can be happy with his books."

"Especially the parchments (malista tas membranas). Latin membrana. The dressed skins were first made at Pergamum and so termed “parchments.” These in particular would likely be copies of Old Testament books, parchment being more expensive than papyrus, possibly even copies of Christ’s sayings (Luk_1:1-4). We recall that in Act_26:24 Festus referred to Paul’s learning (ta grammata). He would not waste his time in prison."

Another huge stretch. Paul never said he consulted the bible for direction. Paul was led by the Spirit...which is something you don't understand at all.

In fact the early church was led by the Spirit not the bible. The bible was written as a testimony of what these were living by the Spirit. So you have the tail wagging the dog.

With more bibles and translations comes more human opinion...and division. The bible brings in division on spiritual matters. It is only good for law.

But you don't know what spiritual is.

The NT is about a new life in the Spirit. The sons of God are led by the Spirit..,not the bible (and that is found in the bible)

But you are no longer reading this as you don't comprehend anything I say....so I will stop now...since it is pointless trying to explain the gospel to a person whom the Spirit has not called.

B

brakelite

I would like to mention a most intriguing incident immediately after the resurrection which we are all familiar with. Two disciples, disconsolate and in despair because the one they believed to be Messiah, was dead. Or so they thought. Then some "stranger" sidles alongside and asks them the cause of their unhappiness. This Stranger did not advise them to listen to the Spirit...nor even to listen to Himself. He gave them a Bible study which revealed Himself. Yes, Jesus is the only Way, Truth, and Life...and as an example Jesus Himself showed that through the scriptures, we can discover who He is, why He came, where He is now, and when we can expect to meet Him face to face. But that isn't the end of there story. That revelation of who Messiah is came first...then, when faith was aroused, He revealed Himself in person. Thus began a renewed relationship.
And so it is with us. The scriptures encourage faith, by learing who Christ is. What He has done. What we can be in Him, and with Him in us. Then, as we accept what is revealed, faith bears fruit and we enter into the kind of knowledge that transcends the written word. Personal, experiential knowledge. Yet because we are all different, such is not the case every single time. While Jesus's Bible study is an example, it is not the ONLY means by which people come to know and recognise the Saviour. In HIs grace and mercy, God will use anything, and anyone, to reach the lost and lonely.
What is the common denominator however is Christ. All roads lead to Him (not Rome) and there are many twisted circuitous routes that through cultures, traditions, sin-laden lifestyles and even religious error, may lead to Jesus. While He is the only Way to the Father, we come to Him in a great variety of ways , and and guess what. Sometimes God may even use our man-made religious formulas to do it.