Is Lordship salvation Biblical?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lordship Salvation doctrine that existed before John MacArthur and company is a true doctrine. It is biblical. But the version of Lordship Doctrine taught later by Calvinists (like John MacArthur, and Gotquestions) is not the same doctrine.

I believe John MacArthur and other Calvinists (I have encountered and talk with) do not appear to be for true holy living entirely or in putting away grievous sin for good because they make for an allowance to sin and still be saved on some level. So being "faithful unto death" has a different understanding to them than the way Jesus teaches it (See: Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, Luke 10:25-28, etc.) and the way John teaches it (1 John 3:15, Revelation 21:8).

How so?

Well, Kenneth Nally committed suicide as per his influence of John MacArthur's ministry and MacArthur said that he was still saved.

Here is a quote from an article:

"At the trial, MacArthur, 45, is seeking to clarify his church’s teaching on suicide. “It’s not only a sin, it’s illegal,” he says. “But we teach that even if a believer takes his own life, the Lord will still receive him into His presence.”

Article Source:
Fundamentalist Clergymen Face Charges of 'Malpractice' When a Parishioner Turns to Suicide

John MacArthur says that a person can take the mark of the beast and they can still be saved afterwards. Listen to this audio clip by him here:

John MacArthur says,

".. sin does not result in spiritual death for the believer ...
(The MacArthur Study Bible, p. 1927, comment on James 1:15)"

John MacArthur confirms how one can sin and still be saved here in this video:

This is why I believe the Lordship Salvation doctrine promoted by John MacArthur is a trojan horse. The version of holy living he is talking about is not the one defined in the Bible.

In other words, if a Calvinist thinks they are saved or Elected in Limited Atonement, then there is nothing that can reverse that salvation even if they sin or do evil. Granted, this may not reflect the view of all Calvinists, though. But the point here is that many Calvinists who do teach Lordship Salvation do not teach a proper view of holy living and sin.

Gotquestions (A Calvinist website) also believes that a Christian can sin and still be saved like John MacArthur. For they say that a backslidden Christian (in tons of sin) is still saved. See this article here:

Is a backsliding Christian still saved? | GotQuestions.org

So again, these are Calvinists who are not in full agreement with the original version of Lordship Salvation. Their version of Lordship Salvation is a Trojan horse and it’s not the true biblical version of Lordship Salvation. For true Lordship Salvation does not teach that you can sin and still be saved.

John MacArthur coincidently started writing his books on Lordship salvation after a person committed suicide in his church (because of his sin and still be saved teaching). He wanted to undo the damage.
So i am wondering about lordship salvation and sin. I have debated with believers who believe they can be perfect and without sin which i strongly disagree with but Lordship salvation seems to have a great deal to do with not living according to the flesh and not sinning which is good but does it go so far as to say we do not sin at all and does it leave room for grace?

Reactions: ChristisGod

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So i am wondering about lordship salvation and sin. I have debated with believers who believe they can be perfect and without sin which i strongly disagree with but Lordship salvation seems to have a great deal to do with not living according to the flesh and not sinning which is good but does it go so far as to say we do not sin at all and does it leave room for grace?
No. It doesn't.
IF we sin we have an advocate with the Father..
1 John 2:1

If provision is made for sin, then sin is possible.

Jesus also stated sin could be forgiven.
John 20:23

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
PS
God's grace abounds.
God IS love.
1 John 4:8

Grace is a component of love.

Reactions: Cross8527

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lordship salvation , being a disciple and obedience all go together- You cannot have any of them without the other and Scripture says: without holiness no one will see the Lord !

Matthew 10:24-39

The Meaning of Discipleship

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

Luke 6:46-49
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”

Matthew 25:31-46
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Lordship salvation , being a disciple and obedience all go together- You cannot have any of them without the other and Scripture says: without holiness no one will see the Lord !

Matthew 10:24-39

The Meaning of Discipleship

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

Luke 6:46-49
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”

Matthew 25:31-46
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

hope this helps !!!
Luke 6:46 Great verse.
Why do we call Jesus Lord and then come across those that do not believe obedience is necessary.
?
No good answer!

Reactions: ChristisGod

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

^ ^ ^ ^

Pros and cons

What is the Bible saying?

I myself am not sure re this "teaching" so I put it out there on this forum and please don't "attack" any members.
Shalom
J.

Well Jesus is already Lord of us. but if you mean that we have to make Jesuus absolute Lord of our lives in all things? that is a lie.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 6:46 Great verse.
Why do we call Jesus Lord and then come across those that do not believe obedience is necessary.
?
No good answer!
I would question if they were actually disciples . The teaching is clear in the NT if you love Me said Jesus you will obey my commands . 1 John in every chapter says the same thing . One cannot say I love God and not obey His commands. That’s how one can distinguish the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well Jesus is already Lord of us. but if you mean that we have to make Jesuus absolute Lord of our lives in all things? that is a lie.

So we are satisfied to add Jesus but not submit to Him as Lord Adonai, worthy of all our worship and highest eulogy In all spheres of our life?
How cute, the tares and the wheat must grow up together...sorry, I am not here to see how many "likes" and "trophies" I can get, I am awaiting my stephanos in hashamayim in Abba, Father, and my LORD and great Savior, great God, King, Priest and Prophet
Hinei!
J.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I would question if they were actually disciples . The teaching is clear in the NT if you love Me said Jesus you will obey my commands . 1 John in every chapter says the same thing . One cannot say I love God and not obey His commands. That’s how one can distinguish the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil.

OK, what are the commandments, I can think of a 1,050 Imperatives immediately...
J.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe the Bible teaches that many sins can condemn us if they are not confessed and or forsaken (See: 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:7, Proverbs 28:13). But there are sins that do not lead unto spiritual death, though. So I see Sinless Perfection as putting away sins such as sins that do not lead unto death (and not just sins unto death alone). So Sinless Perfection is not exactly a salvation issue (because it would include putting away sins NOT unto death). But believers do need to in time overcome “sins unto death” in this life time or they are not going to make it into God’s Kingdom. But only God can determine this for each believer and in knowing their heart and at what point in their life they need to achieve this. It also takes time to mature in the Lord and to overcome sin for most believers. This is what I believe God’s grace is for (See: Ephesians 5:25-27, and Titus 2:14).

Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin. I believe after we are saved by God's grace that we must live holy as a part of God's plan of salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Believers cannot justify sin that leads to spiritual death, condemnation, or hellfire. For I believe we should obey the Lord in all things. For I want to stress that there are grievous sins (or death sins) like murder, hate, adultery, lying, etc. that can lead even a believer to being condemned in the Lake of Fire if such sins are not repented of (i.e. if these sins are not confessed or forsaken). I am not Catholic or Orthodox. I just believe the Bible and the Bible alone as my final Word of authority.

Anyways,...

Here is my biblical case for sins that do not lead unto death:
#1. 1 John 5:17 mentions the "sin not unto death."

In context to 1 John 5: This would be talking about confessed grievous sin that one is striving to overcome with the Lord's help (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) (Romans 13:14). In 1 John 5, the brethren are praying for this believer to have victory (life) over their sin as this believer confesses their sin (Note: Grievous sin are sins the Bible warns with punishment by hellfire, or spiritual death, etc.; These would be sins like murder, hate, adultery, theft, idolatry, etc.). If these sins are confessed with the intention of forsaking them (so as to overcome them), the individual is not abiding in spiritual death.

#2. Paul ignores the warnings of the Spirit and Psalms 19:12.
Psalms 19:12 says, "Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." I believe these would be faults of character or minor errors that a person might make with people. Example: A person may not be a great listener, and they do not allow others to speak like they should. By not listening to others may come off a little like they do not care (even though they care in their own way or a different way). Paul wanted to go to Jerusalem. The Spirit warned Paul not to go. He was still determined to go because he loved His fellow Jews and wanted them to know the love of Jesus. The Spirit told the brethren that Paul will be imprisoned by his going to Jerusalem. The brethren warned Paul not to go. They were in tears and loved him and begged him not to go. But Paul did not listen. He would not hear them. He did not want to hear it. Fault of character. Hidden fault. Minor error of his character. It is not something that condemned him (See Acts of the Apostles 21, and read this article here by Ray Stedman; Note: There is even a better write up than this one by Bible commentator James Boice here; Please keep in mind I do not share their views on Soteriology, though; I merely agree with their view on what happened with Paul in Acts of the Apostles 21).

#3. The Command to Be Baptized.
Paul says Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). If it was essential to salvation, then why would Paul say something like this? In 1 Peter 3:21: Peter says baptism is not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh. If you were to turn to 2 Corinthians 7:1, you would see that it uses similar wording ("filthiness of the flesh") that is clearly in reference to sin. So Peter is saying that baptism is not for the putting away of "sin" [i.e. filth of the flesh]. In other words, baptism is not a command that if disobeyed, leads to spiritual death.

#4. The Least of These Commands in Matthew 5:19.
We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).
This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the kingdom?

What could be a possible least command that Jesus is referring to? Well, one possible example would be the command to Rejoice when men persecute you or falsely accuse you of evil in Matthew 5:11-12. For it does not seem like a major violation of loving God and others if we fail to obey this instruction.

(Continued in my next post):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Cross8527

(Continued from previous post):

#5. Punishment of sins in earthly courts vs. a sin that leads to hellfire (Matthew 5:22). Jesus described to us the difference between death-sins vs. non-death sins in Matthew 5:22.

“But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.” (Matthew 5:22) (AMP).
The words in blue above are “non-death sins” because they are punishment in earthly courts. The words in red above is a “death sin” because it is punishment in hellfire in the afterlife.

#6. Accidental manslaughter and being able to flee to cities of refuge (Deuteronomy 19:1-13); Contrast this with intentional murder which results in capital punishment (See: Deuteronomy 19:21, Numbers 35:31).

#7. Adam’s Inherited Sin (Involving babies that die).
I believe Adam’s Inherited Sin Leads all mankind to physically die. Adam’s sin also opened the door for all men and women to fall into spiritual death and condemnation. But we know according to Scripture and the goodness of God that if a baby dies in this world, they are saved. For King David knew that he would see his unborn child again (2 Samuel 12:23), and Jesus says that children are of the Kingdom of God (Luke 18:16). So how are they saved if Adam brought death? Well, Jesus reversed the curse of spiritual death involving the sin of Adam. The Promised Messiah was the promise of God of salvation to men. So if a baby dies, they will be saved. God is not willing that any should perish. Jesus died for our sins because God loves us. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. But the point here is that if babies are saved, and they are doomed to die physically at some point in their life (either as a baby or an adult) by Adam’s sin, we should realize that the stain of spiritual death from Adam did not take hold onto the lives of babies because of the Messiah. So the sin of Adam passing down spiritual death does not harm a baby. It’s a sin not unto death. Now, the fallen nature was passed down, and thus when that baby grows up, they will sin when they are faced with the knowledge of good and evil. But this is why Jesus came. To set the captives free from sin and death. For Jesus not only came to forgive our sins, but He came to give us a new heart, and new desires to live a new life in Him. A life that is not enslaved to grievous sin that brings spiritual death. Side Note: Now, did spiritual death take hold upon Adam? I believe it did because God said that he would die in the day he would eat of the tree (he was commanded to not eat). Did Adam drop dead physically when he ate of the wrong tree? Surely not. So this means Adam died spiritually. Also, I believe the promise of the Messiah Jesus reversed the curse of Adam. For Jesus took on our sins in the Garden and died in our place for our sins. This was spiritual. So if Jesus never died for our sins, all of mankind would be doomed spiritually (including babies that die). Jesus is the Savior. Jesus deserves all the glory.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe the Bible teaches…

full

full

#1. God's Grace Through Faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior
(Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).

Being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus as ones Savior is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Being saved by God's grace is believing the gospel (Which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it - Romans 1:16). According to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4: The gospel is you believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He had risen again three days later for your salvation (Note: Do not let anyone sell you on another gospel besides this one). Depending on a person’s access or exposure to the Word: Being saved by God's grace will also generally include receiving Jesus as your Savior (John 1:12), and calling upon the name of the Lord (i.e. confessing with your mouth the words: “Lord Jesus” or similar equivalent - Romans 10:9) as a part of seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer (Romans 10:13) (Luke 15:18-21) (Luke 18:9-14). This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace and His redemptive work. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). A person is foundationally or ultimately saved by God’s grace because if they happen to sin on rare occasion in their Christian walk, they do not do a good work to absolve that sin, but they confess of their sins to Jesus in order to be forgiven of that sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:16) (For verses on being saved by God's grace, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#2. Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life & A Belief of the Truth.
(The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).

This is based on 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 (Which is call of the gospel; Note: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 is not the gospel. It is simply the call of the gospel; For the gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

2 Thessalonians 2:13-14

13 “…God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation
through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel,..”

Anyways, this secondary aspect of salvation is in two parts. It is a two part intertwined secondary aspect of salvation (Which joins the cord of Initial Salvation or Foundational Salvation in being saved by God’s grace. Anyways, this secondary aspect of salvation is in two parts. One does not exist without the other (Note: The following is mentioned in order according to 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 and it is not stating that one cannot proceed the other or vise versa).

(a). Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. A believer today who obeys the Lord looks to the commands of Jesus and His followers within the New Testament primarily. For believers today are not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole package deal (even though certain laws have carried over into the New Testament). Basically all ceremonial laws and judicial laws in the Old Testament no longer apply. For example: Believers do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, animal sacrifices, holy days, etc.; However, believers must keep God's Moral Laws like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie, do commit adultery, etc.; Two of the greatest commands that we should focus on daily is to love God and love our neighbor which is more fully described in Mark 12:29-31. We need to worship or adore the Lord our God, preach the gospel, help the poor, love the brethren, love our enemies, and live holy lives, etc. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

(b) A Belief of the Truth is also another secondary synergistic intertwined aspect of salvation for the believer (in addition to Sanctification of the Holy Spirit). We need to study to show ourselves approved unto God according to 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJB). We need to hold to certain correct doctrines or teachings in God’s Word. One example: It is implied that denying bodily resurrection means one’s faith is overthrown (See: 2 Timothy 2:17-18). So we need to study God’s Word (the Holy Bible) and hold to it’s truths. Now, does that mean one is not saved if they don’t know of the bodily resurrection? I don’t believe so. I believe that is what God’s grace is for. But once a key core doctrine of God’s Word is revealed to a believer, they cannot reject it. So a belief of the truth is similar to Sanctification. A Christian must grow in the knowledge of God’s Word and accept it’s beautiful fundamental truths. Does holding to all truths in the Bible save? Well, I don’t think a belief in the Nephilim saves (although it is a truth taught in His Word). But I believe there are other foundational truths we must eventually learn and accept as Christians. The Spirit will guide a believer into all truth within God’s Word.
Anyways, I hope this helps, and may God bless you.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
They certainly believe they are.
Most easy believers will go so far as to say that obedience and good deeds/works are unrighteous because power is taken from God and put on the person.

I tire of debating this.
Our good works refer more to a life attitude than just doing something good. They flow naturally and we're happy to do what we can to make the world a better place, which was one of Jesus' goals.

I agree that persons that don't understand this are not understanding Jesus' mission on earth

Maybe they get this confused with salvation by works alone.

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible teaches that many sins can condemn us if they are not confessed and or forsaken (See: 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:7, Proverbs 28:13). But there are sins that do not lead unto spiritual death, though. So I see Sinless Perfection as putting away sins such as sins that do not lead unto death (and not just sins unto death alone). So Sinless Perfection is not exactly a salvation issue (because it would include putting away sins NOT unto death). But believers do need to in time overcome “sins unto death” in this life time or they are not going to make it into God’s Kingdom. But only God can determine this for each believer and in knowing their heart and at what point in their life they need to achieve this. It also takes time to mature in the Lord and to overcome sin for most believers. This is what I believe God’s grace is for (See: Ephesians 5:25-27, and Titus 2:14).
My issue with sinless perfection is the fact that one believes they can be perfect to begin with. We do not have glorified bodies yet we still live in this earthly flesh and still struggle and wrestle with it and still fail to live up to God's standards of perfect which is where his grace comes in. I have debated with those who believe they are perfect and do not sin which would be very arrogant to claim as we all fall short and stumble in our walk. such beleif baffles me and confuses me to think one could be so arrogant as to think they have become perfect and do not sin, they claim to do it with the holy spirit yet the thing is even with the holy spirit we are still human and stillcorruptable if we are corruptable that means we can be tempted and can stumble the simple fact it is possible that we can stumble means that we have not obtained perfection because we would not be able to be corrupted.

But since we can be corrupted and we are still human we will eventually fall down and stumble as is human nature nut Gods grace covers us and living a holy life is a beautiful thing and worth pursuing but claiming to be sinless and perfect is going to far

Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin. I believe after we are saved by God's grace that we must live holy as a part of God's plan of salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Believers cannot justify sin that leads to spiritual death, condemnation, or hellfire. For I believe we should obey the Lord in all things. For I want to stress that there are grievous sins (or death sins) like murder, hate, adultery, lying, etc. that can lead even a believer to being condemned in the Lake of Fire if such sins are not repented of (i.e. if these sins are not confessed or forsaken). I am not Catholic or Orthodox. I just believe the Bible and the Bible alone as my final Word of authority.

Anyways,...

Here is my biblical case for sins that do not lead unto death:
#1. 1 John 5:17 mentions the "sin not unto death."

In context to 1 John 5: This would be talking about confessed grievous sin that one is striving to overcome with the Lord's help (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) (Romans 13:14). In 1 John 5, the brethren are praying for this believer to have victory (life) over their sin as this believer confesses their sin (Note: Grievous sin are sins the Bible warns with punishment by hellfire, or spiritual death, etc.; These would be sins like murder, hate, adultery, theft, idolatry, etc.). If these sins are confessed with the intention of forsaking them (so as to overcome them), the individual is not abiding in spiritual death.

#2. Paul ignores the warnings of the Spirit and Psalms 19:12.
Psalms 19:12 says, "Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults." I believe these would be faults of character or minor errors that a person might make with people. Example: A person may not be a great listener, and they do not allow others to speak like they should. By not listening to others may come off a little like they do not care (even though they care in their own way or a different way). Paul wanted to go to Jerusalem. The Spirit warned Paul not to go. He was still determined to go because he loved His fellow Jews and wanted them to know the love of Jesus. The Spirit told the brethren that Paul will be imprisoned by his going to Jerusalem. The brethren warned Paul not to go. They were in tears and loved him and begged him not to go. But Paul did not listen. He would not hear them. He did not want to hear it. Fault of character. Hidden fault. Minor error of his character. It is not something that condemned him (See Acts of the Apostles 21, and read this article here by Ray Stedman; Note: There is even a better write up than this one by Bible commentator James Boice here; Please keep in mind I do not share their views on Soteriology, though; I merely agree with their view on what happened with Paul in Acts of the Apostles 21).

#3. The Command to Be Baptized.
Paul says Christ sent him not to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17). If it was essential to salvation, then why would Paul say something like this? In 1 Peter 3:21: Peter says baptism is not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh. If you were to turn to 2 Corinthians 7:1, you would see that it uses similar wording ("filthiness of the flesh") that is clearly in reference to sin. So Peter is saying that baptism is not for the putting away of "sin" [i.e. filth of the flesh]. In other words, baptism is not a command that if disobeyed, leads to spiritual death.

#4. The Least of These Commands in Matthew 5:19.
We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).
This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the kingdom?

What could be a possible least command that Jesus is referring to? Well, one possible example would be the command to Rejoice when men persecute you or falsely accuse you of evil in Matthew 5:11-12. For it does not seem like a major violation of loving God and others if we fail to obey this instruction.
(Continued in my next post):

Cross8527

Apr 29, 2022
pkc
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They certainly believe they are.
Most easy believers will go so far as to say that obedience and good deeds/works are unrighteous because power is taken from God and put on the person.

I tire of debating this.
Our good works refer more to a life attitude than just doing something good. They flow naturally and we're happy to do what we can to make the world a better place, which was one of Jesus' goals.

I agree that persons that don't understand this are not understanding Jesus' mission on earth

Maybe they get this confused with salvation by works alone.
I appreciate you taking the time to write all of this for me do you know if there is a video i can watch that would help me to understand better?

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes works that is a taboo word of sorts isn't it? it isn't that they aren't necessary it's just that the way they come about is misunderstood among the church, if the fruits of the spirit come naturally and obedience come naturally then works come naturally as well as the new nature in us is not like the old nature where we would do works to earn salvation or do works to earn favor from God where as the new nature naturally does works as if by instinct and does it out of love for God and for no other reason love is the motive and is the reason it pleases him so much

LOVE is the Engine that Drives Obedience....That “ Love” is only Found In those that REST in the FINISHED WORK of the Cross for their Salvation......Getting that Burden Of “Performance” off of your shoulders, that trying to “ earn” your Salvation by being “ Good Enough” ,That trying ( and failing) to make Jesus the Lord Of your life —-Yes, the abandoning of those “ Dead Works” results in a Gratitude and a Love for God that sets the stage for anything that really pleases God ....

Those that are Truly Saved know that they didn’t get Saved by “Turning from Sin” — THATS how you become a more “ moral man” , perhaps, but Hell will be Full Of these “good neighbor Sam” types.....Yes , if you want to remain Lost , and become a Prideful and Judgmental , stiff- Necked Religionist, and provide yourself with something to Boast about on Judgement Day ( a place where there will be NO Boasting) ...Your “ conquering of sin” in a Flesh Body! ...all because you made Jesus “ Lord Of your Life?” .....what a “ False Gospel” that is......

The Truly Saved do not “ Turn from Sin” to get Saved ....No, you don’t turn * FROM* Sin to get Saved—— rather, you Turn * TO* God ......You come to God with no false promises to “ be good” or let him be Boss ( Lord) Of your life....You get Saved by Believing the Gospel Plus NOTHING, and that Gospel is all about what God has done for YOU and * NOT* what you do or Will do for God if he will Save you....A wise man WILL submit to Jesus as Lord if the Holy Spirit hangs around long enough....I know that “I” have.....I do it because I kinda figure that God is a lot Smarter than me and I “ WANT” Him to be in charge ( as the Boss or in other words, the Lord Of my life ) ......Christians are engaged in a Spiritual Battle with forces of Evil and sometimes we let our Old Adamic Nature be Boss and we pay the price for it—-NOT Loss of Salvation, But Chastisement and Loss Of Heavenly Rewards.....

People confuse what is “ WISE” with what is “MANDATORY” when it comes to Salvation....Two things and TWO THINGS ONLY , “ GET” you Saved and “ KEEP” you Saved and “ Lordship Salvation” is not one of them.....The Two Things that Save a person are—- #1 The Shed Blood Of Jesus #2 Your COMPLETE TRUST in #1 and THAT ONLY!

One does NOT tell a Lost Man to give up his sin and make Jesus the Lord Of his life to get Saved.....you tell a Lost Man the Gospel ! And that “ Good News” is that Jesus “* DIED” for those sins that the Confused “ Preacher” is saying to this powerless man —- a man “DEAD in trespasses and Sins”
Salvation does not come from “ making a deal” with God, such as , “ If you save me, I promise to make you Lord of my life and I’ll keep all of the Commandments , go to Church every Sunday and make myself ‘ Worthy’ Of Eternal Life” ... ...No, you come to God with NOTHING to offer—- NOTHING to Bring .....it’s just like the song says—- “Nothing That I Bring, Simply to the Cross I Cling”.....Never forget that Salvation is a “ GIFT”, not a Trade, and we can never clean ourselves up to the point of becoming “ Worthy” —— We are * MADE* Worthy by the Blood Of The Lamb....But ONLY if we Trust in “ His “ Perfect Performance and not our own...

Be Smart—-Surrender to the Lordship Of Jesus—— make Him the Loving and all- knowing Boss Of your Life—- you will be blessed for it! ...just don’t do it to GET Saved and don’t do it to STAY Saved .....it really is , “NOTHING but the Blood” when it comes to Salvation....

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross8527