Is the Gift of Salvation nullified by the consequences of refusal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a terrible conclusion to make about us.

Seems that those who failed to pass their kindergarten class never learned to play nice with others. - LOL
Goodbye.
Yea, there's no getting through to prideful, hateful, people. That's why I use that handy dandy "ignore" function.

Reactions: St. SteVen

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Yea, there's no getting through to prideful, hateful, people. That's why I use that handy dandy "ignore" function.
Copied and pasted both responses you are commenting on. The one you are defending is more prideful and hateful. Let's not be a hypocrite.

You and Dan both do not understand Romans.
You have no understanding of the context.
Seems that those who failed to pass their kindergarten class never learned to play nice with others. - LOL
Goodbye.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am already a believer. I don't believe parts of the gospel and deny other teachings in the gospel as you do Dan.
Believing in/placing faith in water baptism + other works for salvation does not make you a believer. Genuine believers have placed their faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. (John 3:15,16,18; 10:9; 14:6; Acts 10:43; 16:31; Romans 1:16; 10:4; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Parts of the gospel? How many parts are there? (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) You "add works" to the gospel (and so do Roman Catholics) which means you are teaching a "different" gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9)

You only believe 1Corinthians 15:1-4.
You don't believe 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. What happened to water baptism in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4? Also see 1 Corinthians 1:17 and note the 'distinction' between baptism and preaching the gospel.

But you have no faith in the gospel Christ preached to His disciples
Sure, I do. I just have no faith in your eisegesis.

Mark 16:15-16,
- Go ye into all the world and preach the GOSPEL to every creature
he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be danmed.
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief.

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). Did Jesus forget to mention it? What is the 1 requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I am the true believer in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Jesus never said, "whoever is not baptized will be condemned" so you are not a true believer in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

You believe in a man made theology from europeans during the protestant period.
The so-called church of Christ has really done a number on you. :( You believe in man-made theology which came out of the restoration movement from the 1800's.

Next,
Paul used Abraham as the example that the law of Moses cannot save the Jews in Romans 4,
For the very reason that Abraham was saved by an obedient faith BEFORE there was even a law known as the Mosaical law. You are a bad Bible student and this is why you completely missed the point why Paul used Abraham in Romans chapter 4.
Read it again. Romans 4:1 - What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified (accounted as righteous) by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it (faith, not works) was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

That is crystal clear. Now show me the words "obedient faith" (which is code for faith and works) in contradiction to Romans 4:2-6. When James discusses works in regard to Abraham, he mentions the offering up of Isaac on the altar (James 2:21) which did not take place until many years later, AFTER Abraham's faith was accounted to him for righteousness in Genesis 15:6. You are a bad Berean, but a good crafty lawyer for the church of Christ.

Yes exactly! He was BEFORE the law of Moses. What better example to Prove to the Jews that the law of Moses cannot save. You totally missed Paul's point Dan.
It's you who totally missed Paul's point Titus. Your "not saved by works of the law of Moses but saved by other works argument" (the same bogus argument that Roman Catholics use) is flawed.

Dan! The context in Romans is Paul trying to get the law of Moses out of the Jews head!!!!
You can't seem to get the law of Moses out of your head and once again, Paul simply said, "apart from works" in Romans 4:6 and not works of the law of Moses and regardless, when it comes to the moral aspect of the law, you cannot dissect good works in general from the law of Moses so works in general is still covered. In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" To give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a "good work" yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses. (Leviticus 19:18)

In Matthew 22:37-40, we read: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Now please explain to me Titus, which good works could a Christian accomplish which are "completely detached" from these two great commandments which are found in the law of Moses? (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18). *NOWHERE does the Bible teach we are saved by grace through faith "plus works of any kind." Period. Deal with it! (Romans 4:2-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9)

What you said above shows your lack of understanding of the context in Romans and a major lack of understanding in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Just the opposite. You are the master of irony.

You claim Paul condemns ALL works in Romans 4.
Not just the works of the law of Moses.
Once again, when it comes to the MORAL aspect of the law, you CANNOT DISSECT GOOD WORKS from the law. (Matthew 22:37-40) The law of Moses is not merely circumcision or whatever other cherry-picked works that you wish to limit it to. The law of Moses also includes the 10 commandments.

Dan, if Paul condemns ALL works in general as you claim.
I believe Paul. (Romans 4:2-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9) ALL works in general.

THEN THERE IS NO LAW WE MUST FOLLOW TO BE SAVED PERIOD!
So, you are looking to be saved by the law of works?

CONTINUED...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus said:
No Law of Christ!
Now new testament will of Jesus!
The law of Christ is not salvation by works. In Galatians 6:2, we read - Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. That would fall under loving your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:39) which is not excluded from the law of Moses. (Leviticus 19:18) How many of us have flawlessly loved our neighbor as ourselves? That is not how we are saved. (Romans 3:23; 6:23)

Romans 3:24 - being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. *Nothing here about being justified by the deeds of the law or by the law of Christ, but by the LAW OF FAITH.

If you are correct,
Then you are a believer in unconditional election!
Did you just recently convert to John Calvin's teaching?
Here we go again with the labels. I don't believe in unconditional election, which would mean that God fatalistically determines who will be of His elect and we have no choice in the matter. Looks like I'm not a 5-point Calvinist. Next straw man argument.

If no new testament commandments must be obeyed which is LAW DAN!!!
Then Gods grace is not conditional but unconditional just as the calvinist's teach!
So, you are seeking justification by the law? Show me in scripture where Paul says we are justified by the law. Paul said LAW OF FAITH. God's grace is conditional on faith. (Romans 5:1-2; Ephesians 2:8,9) If you did not spend so much time trying to "shoehorn" works "into" salvation through faith then you might finally come to understand this.

You are not making sense Dan.
You teach we must obey a law!
To be saved you teach we must obey the commandment to believe in Jesus!
It's you who makes no sense and your crafty lawyer tactics don't work on me. Obeying the commandment to believe in Jesus is not obeying the entire law. You seem to confuse faith with law, just as you confuse faith with works. What a mess!

As I've already taught, your gospel contradicts itself!
No, it doesn't. You just don't understand because you don't believe. (1 Corinthians 1:18-21)

This is why your faith alone salvation and no obedience to Jesus' law is a salvation by disobedience!!!
We are saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone, hence, "apart from works, not by works, not by works of righteousness which we have done, not according to our works." (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9) Those who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation have obeyed the gospel (Romans 1:16; 10:16) which is not to be confused with multiple acts of obedience/works which "follow" saving faith in Christ. There is a difference between doing God's will IN ORDER TO BECOME SAVED (John 6:40) and doing God's will AFTER WE HAVE BEEN SAVED. (1 Thessalonians 5:14-18) You don't seem to get this at all, which explains your confusion. Refusing to believe the gospel is disobedience. You trust in works for salvation and not in Christ alone, so you are in disobedience. (Romans 10:16)

Dan you do not understand that for there to be NO LAW, no works in that law required to be saved,
I understand perfectly. Romans 3:27 - Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. What other law or works did Paul "add" to faith here? So why are you adding it?

YOU MUST REMOVE THE LAW TO BELIEVE IN JESUS FROM YOUR CONTRADICTORY GOSPEL.
Why would I need to remove the law of faith to believe in Jesus from my gospel according to Paul? You make no sense, and you are simply trying to deceive me and get me to believe in your "works based" false gospel, which I can assure you will NEVER happen.

You are not making sense when you said no law in general is what Paul teaches regarding how one is saved.
Paul said the law of faith and not the law of works is how we are justified. I agree with Paul. I'm sorry to see that you are so confused, but if you would just finally come to believe the gospel then the blinders and the confusion will be lifted.

Then there is no law to obey to be saved according to Dan!
The law of faith is not the law of works.

All works in general Dan eliminates the old law of Moses, AND the new testament law of Christ.
Eliminates? All works in general simply excludes works righteousness and upholds salvation through faith in Christ alone. We are saved by grace through faith, NOT WORKS. That's not hard to understand. It's just hard for you to ACCEPT.

So Dan is ignorantly teaching we do not have to obey Christ's new law to be saved,
1John 3:23-24,
- and this is Gods commandment.....
Straw man argument. You don't even believe the gospel (Romans 10:16) so you have no room to lecture believers about obedience.

Commandments are from a law.
The Law giver is God. This is 1John 3:23-24, therefore this is a commandment in the new law of Christ
So, what happened to baptism in 1 John 3:23-24? I don't see your church of Christ 4 step plan of salvation in 1 John 3:23-24.

- And this is GODS COMMANDMENT....
Never said otherwise and this is not to be confused with ALL commandments throughout the old and New Testament.

Dan does not believe any law must be worked/obeyed to be saved!
Commandments are Gods law Dan.
Oh brother. I'm sorry but you just make me laugh! Such a crafty church of Christ lawyer.

- And this is Gods commandment that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ...
I do believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ so I have obeyed God's commandment. 1 John 5:13 - These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. Praise God! :)

Dan says we must believe have faith in Jesus to be saved.
Amen!

Then claims we do not work any law any commandments to be saved.
Law of faith, not works. (Romans 3:27-28) This is the commandment, not the 10 commandments. If you wish to be saved by works, then you had better keep the WHOLE law. (James 2:10) Good luck with that!

Dan is another person who is lost, confused, does not understand the gospel of Jesus Christ,
James 1:8,
- a double minded man is unstable in all his ways
You are a man who does not believe the gospel (2 Corinthians 4:3,4) and you have the audacity to call me lost? How ironic.

Dan has no understanding of Romans chapter 4. He follows blind men and their blind interpretations
2Peter 3:16,
- as also in all his(Paul) epistles speaking in them of these things in which are some things hard to be understood which they that are unlearned and unstable twist as they do also the other scriptures unto their own destruction
More hypocrisy and irony.

Dan's belief that Paul teaches no works, not of the law of Moses not of the law of Christ play no part in our justification/salvation is openly showing his misunderstanding and ignorance of the Scriptures.
Where did Paul say that we are justified by the law of Moses or by the law of Christ? Paul said the law of faith. (Romans 3:24-28) It's Titus who misunderstands and remains ignorant of the Scriptures. You are desperately seeking to be saved by works because you want credit. It's called PRIDE!

Because Dan Paul's audience in Romans chapter 4 were not ignorant of the old testament as you are.
They understood that Paul was teaching BIBLICAL FAITH RIGHTLY DEFINED when he used Abraham as the example as saved by faith and not works of the law of Moses.
Titus uses the same bogus argument, "saved by THESE works" and "just not THOSE works" that Roman Catholics use for Romans chapter 4. Both the Roman Catholic church and the church of Christ erroneously teach works-righteousness. Paul clearly stated that Abraham was NOT justified (accounted as righteous) by works in Romans 4:2-3 and Abraham was BEFORE the law so works here is not merely limited to specific works of the law of Moses and regardless, when it comes to the moral aspect of the law, you cannot dissect good works in general from the law of Moses so works in general is still covered. (Matthew 22:37-40)

CONTINUED...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Titus said:
The religion of faith apart from good works saves NEVER even occurred to the Jews in Romans chapter 4. There never was such a faith that existed in the old testament up until our lifetimes!!!!
Faith saves apart from the merit of works (Romans 4:2-6) yet authentic faith does not remain apart from the presence of works. (James 2:14-24) Learn the difference.

Your definition of saving faith is unbiblical modern day error.
More irony and quite the opposite.

The Jews knew in Romans 4 when Paul told them Abraham was saved by faith and not works of the Mosaical law, what true faith was.
Roman Catholics (who also trust in works for salvation would certainly agree with you here). Now does loving God with all our heart, soul, and mind and our neighbor as ourselves cover all good works? Did Jesus say, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets?" (Matthew 22:37-40) I rest my case.

They understood Abraham's faith would not be only belief but obedience to Gods commandments.
Which is exactly the kind of faith God justified Abraham In Genesis 15:6.
Which commandments were listed in Genesis 15:6 (along with believing in the Lord) and it being accounted to Abraham as righteousness? Which commandments did Paul mention (along with his faith was accounted to him for righteousness) in Romans 4:2-3?

Your religion has folks doing no good works before they are saved.
How many good works do people accomplish before they are saved? (Ephesians 2:8-10) Your religion has folks doing so-called good works in order to become saved.

As you ignore about Abrahams faith over and over and over again!!!
The Bible teaches Abraham already did good works when God counted Abraham's faith as righteousness in Genesis 15:6.
Is leaving his home the good works that you are talking about? So Abraham left his home n Genesis 12 and it was accounted to him as righteousness? Not yet. Keep reading all the way up to Genesis 15:6.

You deny the Bible when you claim Abraham had a workless faith when God said he was righteous.
The faith of Abraham resulted in producing works, yet he was still justified (accounted as righteous) by faith and not by works. (Romans 4:2-3)

Biblical facts about Abraham's faith:

In Genesis 12 up to Genesis chapter 15.
Abraham was doing, obeying, working the law of God!
Abraham simply left his home and eventually came to a place in which God brought him outside and said, “Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.” And Abraham believed in the Lord, and God accounted it to him for righteousness. So, at what point was Abraham's faith accounted to him for righteousness? In Genesis 12 or in Genesis 15?

Genesis 12 Abraham did the works God told him to do.
He simply left his home, but that is not the end of the story.

Genesis 15:6 God knew Abraham's faith was not alone apart from works but in reality Abraham had been obeying Gods commands, working obedience.
Authentic faith does not remain alone from the presence of works, yet we are still saved by faith apart from the merit of works, just as Abraham was.

THAT IS BIBLICAL FAITH THAT SAVES, JUSTIFIES, ACCOUNTS RIGHTEOUSNESS
There is nothing about justification by works in Romans 4:2-6. Quite the opposite actually.

The faith Dan claims Abraham had in Romans 4:6 is fictitious man made fables!
2Timothy 4:4,
- and they shall turn away their ears from the truth and shall be turned unto fables
Straw man argument and basically slander. You are a not a very honest person.

Dan's definition of saving faith: Belief apart from ALL works
Faith that saves is belief, trust, reliance in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. Faith is not works. Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. No fruit at all would demonstrate there is no root. That's how it works. Deal with it.

Does not exist in the Bible.

Faith without works cannot be called faith!
Faith without works is only defined by the Scriptures as dead
Dan wants us to believe we can be saved by a dead faith!
A dead faith is worse than no faith at all
Faith must work
Faith must produce
It must be viable
Verbal faith is not enough
Mental faith is insufficient
Saving faith inspires action.
The action to obey the commandments in Jesus' new testament gospel, 1John 3:23-24.
More straw man arguments, slander and twisting the scriptures to support salvation by works. In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. So, James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple! Too simple!

In James 2:20, "faith without works is dead" does not mean that faith is dead until it produces works and then it becomes a living faith or that works are the source of life in faith. That would be like saying that a tree is dead until it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree and the fruit is the source of life in the tree. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. If someone merely says-claims they have faith, but they lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14) Simpe! Too simple!

James 2:26,
- For as the body without the spirit is  dead so faith without works is dead also.
The comparison of the human spirit and faith converges around their modes of operation. The spirit (Greek pneuma) may also be translated "breath." As a breathless body exhibits no indication of life, so fruitless faith exhibits no indication of life. The source of the life in faith is not works; rather, life in faith is the source of works. (Ephesians 2:5-10) You have the tail wagging the dog. The cart before the horse.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, Amen, Amen!!!!

Perfect summation of Dan's religion!

You admit with fervor that no law keeping no obedience to God is required in your perverted gospel to be saved. Thankyou for stating it so plainly.
I love folks who make it plain!

You and Dan both teach a gospel of belief only and no obedience to God
Salvation through disobedience is your perverted gospel.

Paul is specifically teaching the works in the law of Moses.
Paul is not teaching about the works in the law of Christ, new will and testament.

You and Dan both do not understand Romans.
You have no understanding of the context.

Romans 4:2, the works of the law of Moses old testament
- for if Abraham were justified by works he hath whereof to glory but not before God

James 2:20-21,23
- but wilt thou know O vain man that faith without works is dead
- was not Abraham our father justified by works when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar
- and the scripture was fulfilled which saith Abraham believed God and it was imputed unto him for righteousness and he was called the friend of God
- ye see then how that by works a man  is justified and not by faith alone
James here is speaking of the works in the new law of Christ, 1John 3:23-24
Screenshot_20221202_161922_Chrome.jpg

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The way we are doing it, salvation is neither "free", nor "a gift". What went wrong?

Man puts the limits and conditions on the Atonement.
God does not.
Man wants to add to the Cross their, "perfecting their salvation" as if God's salvation needs their help to get it finished.

Salvation is a gift from God.
Christ on the Cross, is the Gift.
He completed it.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
they can;t get out of Gods way

they have a belief, but they have no faith. Like Israel. who believede in God. but their faith was in their works. so when Christ came to get them to repent of their dead works. they crucified him.
Yes.

They are like the Christ rejecting Hebrews in Hebrews 10 and Acts 28.
They tasted the heavenly gift.
They came to the KNOWLEDGE of the Truth, but they never RECEIVED IT by FAITH and were born again.

KNOWING the Truth , regarding the Cross of Christ is not the same as that next step called BELIEF.

Knowing the Truth of Christ is not FAITH.

BELIEVING in Chrsit is Faith.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, Amen, Amen!
This is Biblical faith rightly defined.
Faith with zero obedient works is not faith at all.
Abraham BELIEVED GOD .
Abraham had true faith .
GOD SAID . ABRAHAM BELIEVED what HE SAID and DID WHAT HE SAID .
Exactly .
Did not many jews claim also to BELIEVE IN GOD .
But did they really believe GOD . Unbelief is also tied into NOT BELIEVING what GOD has said .
As we see with the children in the desert .
Not a one of them said aloud . I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD .
BUT they sure didnt BELEIVE , TRULY BELIEVE , TRULY HAVE FAITH IN GOD at all .
See faith , true belief , obediance , love . THEY ARE ONE .
So let us always remember , GOD SAID , ABRAHAM BELIEVED . ABRHAM OBEYED , HE DID .
Now that is FAITH in GOD .
SO i have another question to present before us .
WHY are so many , not saying you , falling for a faith , a love , a belief , THAT AINT COMING FROM GOD AT ALL .
Many believe in the wordly version of a god of love . Yet that god is using love , faith , belief
to SUPPORT ITSELF and promote REBELLION against the ONE TRUE GOD of that THAR BIBLE .
now forgive the last part of the english .
LOVE and obediance are not seperate . FAITH and obediance are not seperate .
What a man loves he gonna do and whatever version of god he wants to believe in , HE GONNA BELIEVE IN .
NOw if one truly has REAL FAITH IN GOD . WELL , there faith WOULD HAVE BEEN IN HE WHOM GOD DID SEND .
But if ones faith is in another jesus that contradicts the biblical one , BELIEVE ME IT WILL BE SEEN .
For a jesus and a god that honors their sin is gonna be the god and the jesus they sit under and beleive in and obey .
AND IF any jesus honors the lusts of the flesh , sins and calls evil good and good evil , IT AINT JESUS .
IF any god arises in the hearts of men and that version of god or his christ CONTRADICTS the biblical GOD and HIS CHRIST
and all things the apostels later wrote . MY ADVICE IS FLEE AND NEVER LOOK BACK . IT AINT GOD , IT AINT HIS CHRIST
IT AINT HIS SPIRIT . ITS the dragon at work using words like love , like tolerance , like freedom , like unity
Like faith , BUT USING IT in a way that pleases the god of the mirror , aka SELF .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believing in/placing faith in water baptism + other works for salvation does not make you a believer. Genuine believers have placed their faith (belief, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. (John 3:15,16,18; 10:9; 14:6; Acts 10:43; 16:31; Romans 1:16; 10:4; 1 John 5:13 etc..). Parts of the gospel? How many parts are there? (Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) You "add works" to the gospel (and so do Roman Catholics) which means you are teaching a "different" gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9)

You don't believe 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. What happened to water baptism in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4? Also see 1 Corinthians 1:17 and note the 'distinction' between baptism and preaching the gospel.

Sure, I do. I just have no faith in your eisegesis.

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief.

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). Did Jesus forget to mention it? What is the 1 requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Jesus never said, "whoever is not baptized will be condemned" so you are not a true believer in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The so-called church of Christ has really done a number on you. :( You believe in man-made theology which came out of the restoration movement from the 1800's.

Read it again. Romans 4:1 - What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified (accounted as righteous) by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it (faith, not works) was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt. 5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

That is crystal clear. Now show me the words "obedient faith" (which is code for faith and works) in contradiction to Romans 4:2-6. When James discusses works in regard to Abraham, he mentions the offering up of Isaac on the altar (James 2:21) which did not take place until many years later, AFTER Abraham's faith was accounted to him for righteousness in Genesis 15:6. You are a bad Berean, but a good crafty lawyer for the church of Christ.

It's you who totally missed Paul's point Titus. Your "not saved by works of the law of Moses but saved by other works argument" (the same bogus argument that Roman Catholics use) is flawed.

You can't seem to get the law of Moses out of your head and once again, Paul simply said, "apart from works" in Romans 4:6 and not works of the law of Moses and regardless, when it comes to the moral aspect of the law, you cannot dissect good works in general from the law of Moses so works in general is still covered. In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" To give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a "good work" yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses. (Leviticus 19:18)

In Matthew 22:37-40, we read: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Now please explain to me Titus, which good works could a Christian accomplish which are "completely detached" from these two great commandments which are found in the law of Moses? (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18). *NOWHERE does the Bible teach we are saved by grace through faith "plus works of any kind." Period. Deal with it! (Romans 4:2-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9)

Just the opposite. You are the master of irony.

Once again, when it comes to the MORAL aspect of the law, you CANNOT DISSECT GOOD WORKS from the law. (Matthew 22:37-40) The law of Moses is not merely circumcision or whatever other cherry-picked works that you wish to limit it to. The law of Moses also includes the 10 commandments.

I believe Paul. (Romans 4:2-6; 11:6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9) ALL works in general.

So, you are looking to be saved by the law of works?

CONTINUED...
Here lets sum it up real easy so folks like me who might have to take off shoes to count to twenty might understand .
But believe me is gonna be hated by many .
Are you ready . Lets use a drum roll .....................................................................
GOD SAID ABRHAM BELIEVED WHAT GOD SAID , ABRAHAM DID WHAT GOD SAID . NOW THAT IS FAITH . RIGHT THERE .
ITS LOVE , its true BELIEF . Now have a good day .

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Familiar words.
"... it is by grace you have been saved... the gift of God..."

What is the nature of a "gift"?
- It's free.
- You can't earn it.
- Nothing is expected in return. (hopefully, or it isn't free)
- Consequences for refusal would make it extortion.

Here's how it might look in human terms.

Man #1: I have a free gift for you.
Man #2: Thanks, But I'm not interested.
Man #1: Not interested? I said it was free!
Man #2: I'm pretty sure there are some strings attached.
Man #1: Well, of course. But it's FREE!
Man #2: Not really, if there are strings attached.
Man #1: This is my final offer. Better take it now, or else!
Man #2: Uh... or else what?
Man #1: You will be incinerated!
Man #2: Seriously? What kind of free gift is that?

Since salvation is a gift, it should meet the criteria of a gift.
- It's free.
- You can't earn it.
- Nothing is expected in return.

If salvation fails to meet this criteria, it isn't a gift.

Romans 4:4-5 NIV
Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation.
5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly,
their faith is credited as righteousness.
Your example is understood from a human perspective. We give gifts to each other and we receive gifts from each other. But God
doesn't offer gifts. He is the creator. Salvation is a creative act on his part. If one is granted salvation as a gift, the beneficiary is the victim of God's grace.

I take note of Romans 8:29-30, wherein Paul draws a straight, unbroken line from "foreknew" to "glorified."

Romans 8:29-30
29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Our belief and trust are due to his creative power.

1 Peter 3:1-5
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled, and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

We don't choose to be born again, God causes us to be born again. And all those whom God caused to be born again, will obtain an inheritance.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole concept is incorrect! The free gift is exemption from Judgment that you don't deserve. It comes only through faith in the shed blood of Christ.

What many seem to think are conditions of salvation are in truth the freewill of born-again believers in action.

At the moment of salvation, God places the Holy Spirit inside us to guide and protect us. We are now a "new man" in Christ, our desires have changed, we want to that which is good, by our own free will.

So let's don't assume there are conditions to salvation other than faith in Christ.
Even faith isn't a condition of salvation. Rather, faith is also a consequence of being born again.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not the definition of "free." They weren't free if I took my family to the movies and paid for all the tickets myself.
Your right..

But you can't pay for it. Only Christ could. thats the cross..

so to you it is free. because nothing you could do would even pay even a small portion of the debt you owe God

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even faith isn't a condition of salvation. Rather, faith is also a consequence of being born again.
No. Being born again is a result of having faith..

But faith is not a work. it is trusting in someone elses work. thats why you can not earn it by having faith..

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHO WE LOVE is WHO WE OBEY . pastors , preachers , bishops , deacons and the world
can try and say otherwise . HEED THEM NOT .
What a man loves he obeys , aka he does . whether it be the flesh , of sin unto death
or of obediance unto righteousness .
ANY JESUS that honors any kind of disobediance unto GOD , CHRIST , the apostels , aka the truth of their words
IT AINT JESUS , IT AINT THE SPIRIT , IT AINT COMING FROM GOD . its coming
from the god who desires to be as god , who rebelled against GOD , and is teaching folks a FAT LIE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right..

But you can't pay for it. Only Christ could. thats the cross..

so to you it is free. because nothing you could do would even pay even a small portion of the debt you owe God
First, saying it is "free to me" is hiding the truth that it wasn't free. Focusing on ourselves, we too easily dismiss the real cost. If we focus on Christ, maybe we can see that the Love of Jesus is a love that was never seen among human beings until then. No one has loved us greater than he does.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, saying it is "free to me" is hiding the truth that it wasn't free. Focusing on ourselves, we too easily dismiss the real cost. If we focus on Christ, maybe we can see that the Love of Jesus is a love that was never seen among human beings until then. No one has loved us greater than he does.
A grace gift is free. you do not pay for it

Try focusing on reality/. and stop trying to make things difficult.

Reactions: Patrick1966

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Being born again is a result of having faith..
If that were true, grace would not be grace.
But faith is not a work. it is trusting in someone elses work. thats why you can not earn it by having faith..
I agree, we are trusting in someone else's work.

But I think this thread is poking at the quid-pro-quo theory of salvation, which tacitly holds that "God wants faith. So I give him faith and he rewards me with salvation."

This model of salvation rubs some of us the wrong way. What do I mean? Consider moral imperatives such as "thou shalt not murder." Many of us have come to see that we ought to keep this commandment, apart from reward or threat of punishment. A moral imperative should be obeyed simply because it is the right thing to do. Right action should be done for its own sake.

Belief in Jesus Christ is like that. One ought to believe in Christ apart from reward or threat of punishment. Belief in Jesus Christ ought to be done because it is the right thing to do and because righteous action has inherent value.

James warns us about being double-minded. "Purity of Heart is to will one thing" as Kierkegaard wrote. Do I think believing in Jesus is the right thing to do? Am I willing to believe Jesus spoke the truth, whether God saves me or not?

I know that God is rewarding believers with eternal life. But it couldn't hurt Christians to at least ask themselves the question. What do I really want?

Yes? No?