Is the story of Lazarus and the rich man literal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I doubt it. Luke 16:

22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried, 23and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
This was supposed to have happened before the resurrection of the last day and the final judgment. It does not sound literal.

Similar parables were told by rabbis around Jesus' time. Wiki:

The basic storyline of The Rich Man and Lazarus was derived from Jewish stories that had developed from an Egyptian folk tale about Si-Osiris.
Why was the rich man being tortured in Hades?

Because he did not listen to Moses (v. 31)?

Why was Lazarus blessed at Abraham's side?

Because he was poor?

Did Jesus describe a historical story that had transpired already?

I don't think so. It was a parable of fortune reversal.

What is the lesson of the parable?

Abraham said to the rich man:

31b ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’
Do good when you can before you cannot. That's the bottom line.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I doubt it. Luke 16:

This was supposed to have happened before the resurrection of the last day and the final judgment. It does not sound literal.

Similar parables were told by rabbis around Jesus' time. Wiki:

Why was the rich man being tortured in Hades?

Because he did not listen to Moses (v. 31)?

Why was Lazarus blessed at Abraham's side?

Because he was poor?

Did Jesus describe a historical story that had transpired already?

I don't think so. It was a parable of fortune reversal.

What is the lesson of the parable?

Abraham said to the rich man:

Do good when you can before you cannot. That's the bottom line.
What is important is that our Lord Jesus Christ agreed with and endorsed and related the concepts and principles and dynamics of the story.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is the story of Lazarus and the rich man literal?​

Is the story of 'The Emperors New Clothes' literal?.....is it real?

'If they don't believe Moses and the Prophets neither will they believe if one rose from the dead' ....is that literal? real?

When one misses the point one turns a lesson into a dreamtime story .....and in dreamtime stories the imagination is the limit ie, anything goes.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Literal? Yes, I believe it is/was.
The use of a personal name (in this case Lazarus) is not found in any other parable.

In all of the other parables Jesus refers to a person by a description, such as "a certain man", "a sower", and so forth.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Literal? Yes, I believe it is/was. The use of a personal name (in this case Lazarus) is not found in any other parable. In all of the other parables Jesus refers to a person by a description, such as "a certain man", "a sower", and so forth.

Literal? Yes, I believe it is/was. The use of a personal name (in this case Lazarus) is not found in any other parable. In all of the other parables Jesus refers to a person by a description, such as "a certain man", "a sower", and so forth.

I can't see that rational holding up Triumph. Lazarus was a common name as was that of Jesus and several other names we give a certain status to.
The purpose of the story is in the punch line. It is not for the purpose of giving an insight into the state of the dead.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Literal? Yes, I believe it is/was.

The use of a personal name (in this case Lazarus) is not found in any other parable.

In all of the other parables Jesus refers to a person by a description, such as "a certain man", "a sower", and so forth.
You mean as in Luke 16:19-20 (WEB):

(19) There was a certain rich man who was customarily clothed in purple and fine linen and making merry in luxury every day.​
(20) And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at his gate, full of sores​

When you know the meaning of the name Lazarus then it makes sense as to why Jesus gave the beggar a name - it adds meaning to the parable. The Online Bible Greek Lexicon says:

Lazarus = "whom God helps" (a form of the Hebrew name Eleazar)​

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't deny this Parable isn't real. All of the Parables Jesus told are real stories., so you will deny the ministry of Jesus Christ.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes.

Who is the Truth? Jesus
Can the Truth Lie? No

Reactions: Triumph1300

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Yes.

Who is the Truth? Jesus
Can the Truth Lie? No
You sure are joining the dots Taken, only thing is, you've joined the ear to the tail.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You can't deny this Parable isn't real. All of the Parables Jesus told are real stories., so you will deny the ministry of Jesus Christ.
I am denying it is 'real', meaning it is not a literal rendition of the afterlife. Didn't you read the punch line?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many reasons why we can't consider that illustration a literal story. Some of them:

1) Moses' law is not a must for Christians (Lk. 16:29) ... Obviously that parable was intended only for Jews (Lk. 16:14).

2) There are many scriptures saying dead people "know nothing at all" (Eccl. 9:5; Psal. 146:4; Is. 38:18).

3) The dialog between the characters alludes to fictional ideas like a drop of water quenching the thirst of a man in a burning area (???)

4) There were physical body parts involved in the parabole: tongue, finger, ... (Lk. 16:24)

5) There is not such after death place where Abrahan is the guardian ... like the false heaven where Peter is ...

6) Being rich is not a crime, nor is being poor a virtue.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we analyze the context of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, the entire chapter, Lk. 16, we can notice that it is not about doctrines on the state of the dead, but about the false idea that social status and riches are a sign of God's approval. The Pharisees of Jesus' time glorified their own status more than God's righteous principles and good treatment of others.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sure are joining the dots Taken, only thing is, you've joined the ear to the tail.

Jesus…IS the way, truth, life…

Don’t know what “dots” you are trying to connect and then hand off your idea … AS IF, it is accounted to me. No thanks.

John 14:
[6] Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you support your "yes" with some logical argument?

No.

Logic is vested in Carnal Minded Reasoning.
Truth is vested in Gods approved Word.

Is it Mindfully Logical to believe in something you can not hear, see, smell, taste, touch?

I Heartfully trust there is a Lord God who can NOT Lie.

When the Lord God’s Word is recorded with His approval for my benefit, I chose to Trust His Word is True.

Matt 13:
[35] That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

God bless you,
Taken

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logic is vested in Carnal Minded Reasoning.
Truth is vested in Gods approved Word. . . .

When the Lord God’s Word is recorded with His approval for my benefit, I chose to Trust His Word is True.
Methinks you are selling logic short.

Without the exercise of logic, how do you know that what is recorded in your Bible "is recorded with His approval"? There are lots of discrepancies among the oldest available Codexes, and it falls to textual criticism -- a discipline marked by exercises of logic -- to try and reconstruct what the original imprint (now lost to us) actually said.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Methinks you are selling logic short.

Pss 18:
[30] As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Yes.

Who is the Truth? Jesus
Can the Truth Lie? No
Matthew 13:34-35 (WEB):
(34) Jesus spoke all these things in parables to the multitudes; and without a parable, he didn’t speak to them,​
(35) that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, “I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.”​
Mark 4:34
(34) Without a parable he didn’t speak to them; but privately to his own disciples he explained everything.​

Is a parable literal and true? Answer = no. From dictionary.com, the meaning of parable is "a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson", and allegory means "a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another; a symbolical narrative".

The above verses state that most of the time Jesus spoke in parables. What evidence do you have to suppose that story of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable? Why did Jesus tell this parable/story to the Pharisees?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 13:34-35 (WEB):
(34) Jesus spoke all these things in parables to the multitudes; and without a parable, he didn’t speak to them,​
(35) that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, “I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.”​
Mark 4:34
(34) Without a parable he didn’t speak to them; but privately to his own disciples he explained everything.​

Is a parable literal and true? Answer = no.

Is that the perspective for a Canal Mind? Yes
Is that the perspective for a spirits understanding? No

From dictionary.com, the meaning of parable is "a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson", and allegory means "a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another; a symbolical narrative".

Well aware of the perspective of a Carnal Minds understanding of a Parable.

Yet with ONE “speech”, “speaking”, “teaching”….the Master; Lord Jesus…
Revealed the Truth to the ignorant and the wise…those WITH and those WITHOUT Him.

The Ignorant will “focus” on the word; “parable” and NOT understand…
WHILE…
The wise will “focus” on WHO is speaking, WHAT he is revealing, and Understand.

The WHO…is the TRUTH, who can NOT LIE.
The WHAT…is SECRETS, not BEFORE known.

The above verses state that most of the time Jesus spoke in parables.

Yes, Jesus spoke and taught in Parable's.
Prophetic fulfillment…

Matt 13:
[10] And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
[13] Therefore speak I to them in parables: becausethey seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
[34] All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
[35] That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

What evidence do you have to suppose that story of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable?

Surely you do not expect me to answer to something I never claim!!! Eh?

Why did Jesus tell this parable/story to the Pharisees?

For Wisdom unto those who are Converted..
And
Ignorance unto those without Wisdom.

Col 1:
[26] Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Luke 8:
[17] For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
[18] Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.

Mark 4:
[11] And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
[12] That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; ….(caveat) lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Them WITH…= Spirit conclusion, spiritual understanding.

Them WITHOUT…= Mindful Logical conclusion.

Glory to God,
Taken