Is there God’s new words outside the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sullivan

Nov 4, 2015
There are some verses about this question, but we failed to notice them. Revelation 2:17, “He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna….” This verse mentions “what the Spirit said to the churches.” Obviously, God will speak in the last days. Besides, it also mentions the “hidden manna.” In the Old Testament, “manna” was the food God gave to the Israelites. And in the New Testament, “manna” refers to God’s word. So of course, the “hidden manna” means the hidden words of God, the truth God didn't express. Revelation 5:1-5. “And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice,:Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. And one of the elders said to me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.” Here, “a sealed book,” which “written within and on the backside,” is mentioned. This means the book contains a lot of things, but they haven’t been revealed. When God comes again, he will open the “sealed book” and tell us what is written in it. So, we can know more clearly that in the end time, God will speak outside the Bible.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sullivan,

Would you please assist me in reading your post by writing in shorter paragraphs? I find it difficult for you to grab my attention when you write in such a long paragraph.

To answer the question of your OP, there will be no new words outside the Bible - whether through the gifts of the Spirit or through illumination of Scripture - that will compare with the authority of Scripture. How do I know? Only Scripture is breathed out by God (inspired by God) according to 2 Tim 3:16-17 (ESV) -- 'all Scripture is breathed out by God'.

Where is there evidence that God will speak outside of the Bible with words of authority on the same level as Scripture?

Revelation 2:17, “He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna….” This verse mentions “what the Spirit said to the churches.”
This verse is addressed to the Church in Pergamum. To obtain the meaning of Rev 2:17, it must be read in the context of Rev 2:12-17 and the context of the whole of the Bible.

Obviously, God will speak in the last days.
Who said so? When did/do the last days begin?

Besides, it also mentions the “hidden manna.” In the Old Testament, “manna” was the food God gave to the Israelites. And in the New Testament, “manna” refers to God’s word. So of course, the “hidden manna” means the hidden words of God, the truth God didn't express.
Yes, the 'manna' seems to be an allusion to that which God gave to the Israelites and Moses laid before the Lord in the Sanctuary (Ex 16:32-34; see Heb 9:4).

You have placed a meaning on 'hidden manna' that does not come from the text. Could it be 'hidden' because it represents a future kingdom of glory that the church of Pergamum would experience? This is the church where there were people who promoted the teaching of Balaam and of the Nicolaitains (Rev 2:14-15). For those who had not renounced their faith (Rev 2:13) there was hidden 'manna' in the future. This symbolism of hidden manna is appropriate as these were people who had eaten food sacrificed to idols (Rev 2;14).

Where in the Bible does it say that 'manna' refers to God's word?

Your view that the 'hidden manna' refers to 'hidden words of God, the truth God's didn't express', is your imposition on the text. It's called eisegesis. That's not what a plain reading of the text states.

Don't you understand the seriousness of what you have done here by adding to Scripture? What was the warning given in Revelation 22:18-19 (ESV)?
18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
We dare not add to this Book of Revelation as you seem to have done here. There are dire consequences for anyone who adds to or takes away from this Book.

I'll be back later to respond to other parts of your post. My wife needs some help with shopping right now.

Oz

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

To some God cant exist outside the bible to others God is teh creator of the universe and lives outside the wisdom of men, to some He is 3 inches tall and enslaved by mens imagination to others He is God and will do what He will no matter what man thinks. to some God has much more to show us, to others He is as big as a book.

Christ is our authority.

In all His Love

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation 5:1-5. “And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice,:Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. And one of the elders said to me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.” Here, “a sealed book,” which “written within and on the backside,” is mentioned.

This means the book contains a lot of things, but they haven’t been revealed. When God comes again, he will open the “sealed book” and tell us what is written in it.

So, we can know more clearly that in the end time, God will speak outside the Bible.

Sullivan,

What is the meaning of Rev 5:1-5?

Chapter 4 has been talking about the throne and the One who is sitting on the throne, so everything is focussed on the throne - on the power, rule and dominion of the Trinitarian God.

Now we get to chapter 5. God's rule and power on the throne still stands forever (Rev 4:9). Now to ch 5 the One on the throne had a scroll sealed with 7 seals. The only one worthy to open the scroll and break its seals was the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, who has conquered. Only He can open the scroll with its 7 seals.

Who is this Lion of the tribe of the Root of David, the Conqueror? In NT Greek, the Lion is in apposition to the one out of the tribe of Judah. It seems to be a direct reference to Gen 49:9-10. 'The Shoot of David' seems to refer to Isa 11:1, 10 and in Rom 15;12 and Rev 22:16. We view Christ's descent from Judah, seen differently, in Heb 7:14.

I do not know from these 5 verses how you can conclude, 'So, we can know more clearly that in the end time, God will speak outside the Bible'. What causes you to reach that interpretation, based on Rev 5:1-5?

We know that, in this symbolic language, that Christ, the Conquering Messiah, can open the scrolls, but I see not a hint here that this means that God is speaking outside of the Bible.

Is this your personal philosophy of what God is doing in your life?

Oz

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sullivan said:
There are some verses about this question, but we failed to notice them. Revelation 2:17, “He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna….” This verse mentions “what the Spirit said to the churches.” Obviously, God will speak in the last days. Besides, it also mentions the “hidden manna.” In the Old Testament, “manna” was the food God gave to the Israelites. And in the New Testament, “manna” refers to God’s word. So of course, the “hidden manna” means the hidden words of God, the truth God didn't express. Revelation 5:1-5. “And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice,:Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. And one of the elders said to me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.” Here, “a sealed book,” which “written within and on the backside,” is mentioned. This means the book contains a lot of things, but they haven’t been revealed. When God comes again, he will open the “sealed book” and tell us what is written in it. So, we can know more clearly that in the end time, God will speak outside the Bible.
The hidden manna is the tree of life which is in the hidden Garden and WILL be in the NEW Jerusalem. You can't take one metaphorical rendering and make it apply to all mention of manna or hidden manna. Context ALWAYS prevails.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not know from these 5 verses how you can conclude, 'So, we can know more clearly that in the end time, God will speak outside the Bible'. What causes you to reach that interpretation, based on Rev 5:1-5?
Interpret what,

when we come to Christ we are "all" given the Holy Spirit. God is like a huge electricirty / power station. with His power everywhere, but if you dont switch on teh power switch than your house will always be in darkness.. I interpret nothing God is not interesetd in "my" opinion He only deals in truth. Its not that Jesus is not talking for He does everyday, its Just that men dont listen.

You know that bit about, "My sheep hear my voice and will follow no other."

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
Joh 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
Joh 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

or

Mat_11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

or

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Some times it seems Jesus died for nothing, he has given us so much yet so few bother to ask him.

In all his Love