Is there opportunity to repent after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
That would appear not to be the case. There is no mention of anything after death but judgment.

... it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Hebrews 9:27

Judgment is executed against what is done in this life, in a body. A dead person's soul has no body. If it doesn't have a body, how can it repent?

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things [done] in [his] body, according to that he hath done, whether [it be] good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:10

A dead person's soul can have regrets after death, but that is not repentance. The dead rich man in Luke 16:19-31 was not offered repentance even though he wanted to keep others out of what he was in.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
He is right. Hebrews 9:27 says it all.

That is why your life here on earth and what you do with it is so important. You are going to stand before God and have that life reviewed.
You are not going to be able to say "my bad" and have God say, "Okay, you knucklehead, I will let it slide this time" as he tussles your hair.

You are judged on what occurs in your life. You will seek God's forgiveness once you stand before Him. But by then it is too late.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I believe everyone will have an opportunity to accept Christ as their Savior. Jesus already took this message of repentance to the lost souls imprisoned in sin (1 Peter 3:19). This wasn't a second chance for them, but a first opportunity to accept salvation. I also believe that the Day of the Lord is a period of time (millennium) specifically set aside for all those who never had a chance to hear the gospel while in the flesh (Revelation 20:3). Again, not a second chance, but an initial introduction to God's plan of salvation.

I believe God is fair and his judgement righteous, so no one will perish without hearing the Truth and have an opportunity to repent & accept Christ. To cast a soul into the Lake of Fire without preaching and teaching the Word to every nation and every person wouldn't be something a Just God would do. Those who hear and reject Christ will not have a second opportunity to repent, but I need to believe that everyone will have the same and equal chance. JMO

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
No, there is no chance after death. And, anyone who teaches otherwise is inviting people to reject Jesus.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i will not be surprised if we have a chance to repent after death, however i not sure if will will be capable of doing so. a redeemed soul is necessary to recognize God's love / salvation after He has spent our whole lives guiding us to Himself. Look at Pharoh - he had multiple chances to submit to God, but he was unwilling to do it so God hardened his resolve.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Here's a couple of scriptures for consideration in this discussion.

Then you must throw this man out and hand him over to Satan so that his sinful nature will be destroyed and he himself will be saved on the day the Lord returns.
1 Cor 5:5 (NLT)

If the dead will not be raised, what point is there in people being baptized for those who are dead? Why do it unless the dead will someday rise again?
1 Cor 15:29 (NLT)

So he went and preached to the spirits in prison those who disobeyed God long ago when God waited patiently while Noah was building his boat. Only eight people were saved from drowning in that terrible flood.[
1 Peter 3:19-20 (NLT)

That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead —so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit.
1 Peter 4:6 (NLT)

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
If the dead will not be raised, what point is there in people being baptized for those who are dead? Why do it unless the dead will someday rise again?
1 Cor 15:29 (NLT)
That translation is a little strange.

Some in Corinth were saying that there was no resurrection from the dead. So Paul asked this rhetorical question to point out that it is pointless to be baptized into death if those baptized aren't raised from the dead.

jiggyfly said:
That is why the Good News was preached to those who are now dead —so although they were destined to die like all people, they now live forever with God in the Spirit.
1 Peter 4:6 (NLT)
That is another strange translation.

Viewed within the context of the surrounding verses, I think Peter is saying that the good news (gospel) is brought to those who live according to the flesh (spiritually dead), so that they may be judged by their peers (men in the flesh) who live according to the spirit.

jiggyfly said:
So he went and preached to the spirits in prison those who disobeyed God long ago when God waited patiently while Noah was building his boat. Only eight people were saved from drowning in that terrible flood.[
1 Peter 3:19-20 (NLT)
I think that's a totally inaccurate translation. The King James isn't any better.

Viewed within the context of the surrounding verses, I think Peter is saying that while Noah built the ark, Christ proclaimed salvation through his spirit to Noah's disbelieving peers whose departed spirits are now imprisoned.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Viewed within the context of the surrounding verses, I think Peter is saying that while Noah built the ark, Christ proclaimed salvation through his spirit to Noah's disbelieving peers whose departed spirits are now imprisoned.
The NLT isn't the worst translation. But, it's one no one should be using.

I agree with you. 1Pet3:19-20 doesn't mean Jesus preached to dead people.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Polt said:
I agree with you. 1Pet3:19-20 doesn't mean Jesus preached to dead people.
As I study it more, 1 Peter 3:20 becomes more interesting. It says that GOD's long suffering waited once as the ark was being built. One definition for this word is once for all (i.e., once and never again). It is used in this context in Hebrews 9:26–28, Hebrews 10:2, 1 Peter 3:18, and Jude 3.

That suggests that instead of this verse indicating there is a second chance to repent after death, it is strongly indicating that that is not a possibility.

Polt

Feb 5, 2013
Take this one verse, "In which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison."

It doesn't say "He went and proclaimed to the spirits while in prison." All this verse tells us is that those who are now in prison at some point in their past, they were proclaimed to. We're not told in that one verse if that was before or after death.

If they were proclaimed to after death, they're still in prison. So, Jesus didn't save/free a single one of them and so our chance after death is worthless. So, what's the point? Why not say that Jesus preached to those spirits in paradise? If anyone was saved by Jesus after death, wouldn't they be in paradise, and not prison? If the passage meant to say that Jesus preached to dead people, we could have been told "while they were in prison" or better yet, "Jesus preached to dead people and some of them were freed from prison."

I believe the point of this passage is that they didn't die without a chance, not that they had a chance after death. God waited patiently in the days of Noah. What's the point of God waiting patiently for the people before the flood if they had a chance after death? Then we're told that only eight were saved (didn't die in the flood) and that this corresponds to baptism (in Christ) that now saves us. If being on the boat symbolizes salvation, then those not on the boat weren't saved, not ever. They were never on the boat. They never had a second chance to get on the boat.

One vague verse shouldn't be used to establish a doctrine that is otherwise foreign to the whole Bible. This passage is not about dead people.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Polt said:
Take this one verse, "In which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison."

It doesn't say "He went and proclaimed to the spirits while in prison." All this verse tells us is that those who are now in prison at some point in their past, they were proclaimed to. We're not told in that one verse if that was before or after death.

If they were proclaimed to after death, they're still in prison. So, Jesus didn't save/free a single one of them and so our chance after death is worthless. So, what's the point? Why not say that Jesus preached to those spirits in paradise? If anyone was saved by Jesus after death, wouldn't they be in paradise, and not prison? If the passage meant to say that Jesus preached to dead people, we could have been told "while they were in prison" or better yet, "Jesus preached to dead people and some of them were freed from prison."

I believe the point of this passage is that they didn't die without a chance, not that they had a chance after death. God waited patiently in the days of Noah. What's the point of God waiting patiently for the people before the flood if they had a chance after death? Then we're told that only eight were saved (didn't die in the flood) and that this corresponds to baptism (in Christ) that now saves us. If being on the boat symbolizes salvation, then those not on the boat weren't saved, not ever. They were never on the boat. They never had a second chance to get on the boat.

One vague verse shouldn't be used to establish a doctrine that is otherwise foreign to the whole Bible. This passage is not about dead people.
Did you know that there are more people in prison outside of the physical prison walls than within? Free the captives in prison means captive to sinful lifestyles, captive to bowing to the devils deeds that keeps them bondage to their fleshly nature of the beast. Jesus called them dogs, those who were not God's people and Jesus also told the man who wanted to go and bury his father before following Christ, Let the dead bury their own dead. All who are led of their flesh are considered dead for it is only by receiving the Spirit and God's Word that we are made alive. There are no second chances to see what is behind the Door after death.

The only ones who had that opportunity were those who had followed God unto righteousness Before Christ came. God told Elijah that He has saved a remnant of 7,000 OT saints who Paul confirms are alive to this day as they came out of their graves at Jesus' resurrection for they awaited his day that the debt would be paid to release them for they are the fulfillment of Ez.37 dry bones of Old Israel. The hell that Jesus entered into was the hell on earth the day he was handed over to evil man who God calls the dogs of this world who always live like brute beasts, so the Lamb could be roasted, mocked and spat upon, tortured for those who were doing this to him and for all the world to hopefully come to repentance and be saved. But we do not get to peek at what is behind the Door before we choose and no second chances. I believe that Jesus said those who believe upon him shall never die! Now if that means we will still go back into the ground then what was the never die about?

I believe that all souls are above ground as the tribulation takes place rather they are considered dead or alive is up to their choice now. Those who remain alive, means those who are still able to walk in the Spirit during this time of tribulation and have not fallen away. For if the wrath of God is poured out on ALL the ungodly that has ever lived then they would have to be. And if they are not, then all who have passed on did not have to go through the Tribulation or the wrath as the Bible makes it clear is a part of being a Christian. Paul says we shall not all sleep... do you know that there is a sleeping church that does not have their eyes opened to what is going on?

Matt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
KJV

1 Kings 19:18
18 Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
KJV
Rom 11:1-8
11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
8(According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
KJV

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
afaithfulone4u said:
God told Elijah that He has saved a remnant of 7,000 OT saints who Paul confirms are alive to this day as they came out of their graves at Jesus' resurrection for they awaited his day that the debt would be paid to release them for they are the fulfillment of Ez.37 dry bones of Old Israel.
Congratulations! You just won today's Fruitcake Award!

fruitcake.jpg

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well what about those that was under the old covenant who didn't hear the gospel, and was disobedient. yes, Noah preached to them, but was it in FAITH, mixed with BELIEF. but Jesus our Lord preached to them in prison. I know that his preaching was not in vain. so why did he go and preached to them if they didn't have a chance?.
1 Peter 3:19 "By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water".
read your commentary on these verses

A4u, greeting

Did you know that there are more people in prison outside of the physical prison walls than within? Free the captives in prison means captive to sinful lifestyles, captive to bowing to the devils deeds that keeps them bondage to their fleshly nature of the beast. Jesus called them dogs, those who were not God's people and Jesus also told the man who wanted to go and bury his father before following Christ, Let the dead bury their own dead. All who are led of their flesh are considered dead for it is only by receiving the Spirit and God's Word that we are made alive. There are no second chances to see what is behind the Door after death.

more people in prison outside of the physical prison walls than within?
Amen to that

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
That translation is a little strange.

Some in Corinth were saying that there was no resurrection from the dead. So Paul asked this rhetorical question to point out that it is pointless to be baptized into death if those baptized aren't raised from the dead.

That is another strange translation.

Viewed within the context of the surrounding verses, I think Peter is saying that the good news (gospel) is brought to those who live according to the flesh (spiritually dead), so that they may be judged by their peers (men in the flesh) who live according to the spirit.

I think that's a totally inaccurate translation. The King James isn't any better.

OK then why not post the translation of these scriptures you like and the surrounding context and we can discuss it further.

I would also like to see the "huge amount" of scripture you claimed support that there is no chance of repentance after death.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
OK then why not post the translation of these scriptures you like and the surrounding context and we can discuss it further.
I think that's more work than I want to get into at the moment.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The spirits in prison were those who died before Christ came down incarnated in the form of man. Noah was one of those spirits in prison. Noah knew God the Father, but He did not know the Son. So, after Christ died, Jesus went to those spirits and preached the Gospel to them....so they would also know who the Son of God is, for those who believe in Jesus will have eternal life. The Gospels that Christ preached to them was that He came to conquer death and set them free by redeeming mankind. Before Christ, all those who died were held prisoners by death and could not enter God's kingdom. After His resurrection, those spirits in prison were now able to enter God's kingdom after hearing the Gospels preached to them....for the Gospels are for both the living and the dead (1 Peter 4:6).

This is why it is important to preach the Gospels to all nations just as Jesus commanded His Apostles to do. Those who hear the gospels and believe in Jesus Christ will have eternal life. However, there are those who have never heard of Jesus Christ. For example, if a Buddhist child grew up in an environment where he never heard Jesus' name nor read the Bible......it is possible that salvation is open to him because the child never rejected Christ. Only those who rejected Christ will be condemned. But in order to reject Christ, one must first HEAR about Him. And if that Buddhist child dies having never heard of the name of Jesus or the Gospels, then it is possible that Christ will come to this child and preach to him just as He did to the spirits who were held prisoners by death. If the Buddhist child believes, then it is possible that he/she could also have eternal life despite that he/she has already died.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Selene, greeting.
....for the Gospels are for both the living and the dead (1 Peter 4:6).

exactly, you got that one. which is why Christ rose from the dead to be the God of the LIVING as well as the DEAD. Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.