Is there opportunity to repent after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
Hello Justaname, before I respond could you please edit your post and include the name of the source you copied.
The first definition is from Kittel's Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. The second is from Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament : Based on semantic domains.

If you're ever in doubt, just highlight a portion of the text and google it.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jiggyfly,

Sorry but it is too late for me to edit. I should have cited that in the original.

The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (Using Strong's Greek reference #'s)
and
Louw-Nida Greek Lexicon (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Justaname and CRFTD thanks for listing it, it's a good idea to list them withing the post when possible to avoid any copyright infringements.

Justaname what do you make of the use of olam in the Hebrew text and aion in the Greek text in Jonah 2:6 and th same in Lev. 24:8?

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person can only show repentance while alive. The soul does not live on after death (or is immortal) as the churches of Christendom have taught, for Ezekiel 18 says that "the soul that sinneth, it shall die."(Ez 18:4, KJV) The soul is us with all our desires, for at Deuteronomy 12, it says: "When the Lord thy God shall enlarge thy border, as he hath promised thee, and thou shalt say, I will eat flesh, because thy soul longeth to eat flesh, thou mayest eat flesh, whatsoever thy soul lustest after."(Deut 12:20, KJV)

And when our Creator, Jehovah God, made Adam, the Genesis account says: "And the Lord God formed man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became (not possess) a living soul."(Gen 2:7, KJV)

And the apostle Paul confirmed this, saying: "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul."(1 Cor 15:45, KJV) The word soul comes from the Hebrew word ne´phesh that evidently comes from a root meaning “breathe” and in a literal sense ne´phesh could be rendered as “a breather.”

Hence, when a person has died, he or she ceases to exist, for Ecclesiastes says: "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward: for the memory of them is forgotten."(Ecc 9:5, KJV) Furthermore, the Psalmist wrote of humans who have died, that "his breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."(Ps 146:4, KJV)

Thus, for a person to be given another opportunity after death, they would have to be resurrected from death. That is why Jesus said to the Jews: "Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment."(John 5:28, 29)

Thus, many of the billions that have died over the course of 6,000 years of human history will be resurrected during Jesus "thousand year" reign in the near future to be given an opportunity to please Jehovah God and live forever on an earthly paradise.(Matt 5:5)

Their being given everlasting life will depend on their faithful and loving works after their resurrection, not when they were alive the 1st time. These paid the penalty for their sins during the 1st time they were alive by dying.(Rom 6:23)

That is why Jesus said that "those who did good things" after their resurrection will receive a "resurrection of life" whereas those who "practiced vile things things to a resurrection of (adverse) judgment" or everlasting death. And that is why there is the expression "second death" (also called "the lake of fire", Rev 20:14), for the second time anyone dies, these are forever dead.

The evil-doer that asked Jesus to remember him when he ' got into his kingdom' (Luke 23:42) will be resurrected for the opportunity to live on the paradise earth that Jehovah originally purposed when he created Adam and Eve.(Gen 1:31; 2:9) Jesus told the evil-doer: "Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."(Luke 23:43)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken from NASB Dictionaries

5769. עוֹלָם olam or
עֹלָם olam (761d); from an unused word; long duration, antiquity, futurity:—ages(1), all successive(1), always(1), ancient(13), ancient times(3), continual(1), days of old(1), eternal(2), eternity(3), ever(10), Everlasting(2), everlasting(110), forever(136), forever and ever(1), forever*(70), forevermore*(1), lasting(1), long(2), long ago(3), long past(1), long time(3), never*(17), old(11), permanent(10), permanently(1), perpetual(29), perpetually(1).

From this definition we can see this word can take on different meanings depending on the context and or author's intent.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You mean it's like a chameleon? LOL. Do you have an example of another word in any language that has such a diversity of meanings?

The Hebrew word olam actually is derived from the word alam which means "to hide" so olam simply means hidden or beyond our horizon or scope of vision.

You haven't answered my last question.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually there are many words with more than one meaning. They are called homonyms. Here is one:

cast
The verb meaning to throw came from Scandinavian words about 900 years ago. In modern Icelandic, which descends from the language of the Vikings, kasta still means "to throw".
The later use meaning a list of people, actors, taking part in a play developed from the same origin, with the sense of organising, putting together. The same applies to something formed by pouring liquid metal or plastic into a cast, the mould that makes the shape.
Caste, a homophone meaning a particular group of people in society, has a completely different origin and is not related.

Throughout time words can take on different meanings even though the language is the same. Take the word sick for example. Sick can be used to mean something the speaker actually likes, "That last run on the half-pipe was sick!"
And it can mean someone is ill.

The scripture examples you gave only use the word olam. Besides I have quite a few unanswered questions from my first post to be completely fair.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
justaname said:
Taken from NASB Dictionaries

5769. עוֹלָם olam or
עֹלָם olam (761d); from an unused word; long duration, antiquity, futurity:—ages(1), all successive(1), always(1), ancient(13), ancient times(3), continual(1), days of old(1), eternal(2), eternity(3), ever(10), Everlasting(2), everlasting(110), forever(136), forever and ever(1), forever*(70), forevermore*(1), lasting(1), long(2), long ago(3), long past(1), long time(3), never*(17), old(11), permanent(10), permanently(1), perpetual(29), perpetually(1).

From this definition we can see this word can take on different meanings depending on the context and or author's intent.
I have a question... what is the difference between long duration and eternity? Long duration
has time, while eternity has no time. Sooo... which is it?

What's the difference between age and eternal? Age has a beginning and an end (time), and
eternal has no time. Sooo... which is it?

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
justaname said:
Actually there are many words with more than one meaning. They are called homonyms. Here is one:

cast
The verb meaning to throw came from Scandinavian words about 900 years ago. In modern Icelandic, which descends from the language of the Vikings, kasta still means "to throw".
The later use meaning a list of people, actors, taking part in a play developed from the same origin, with the sense of organising, putting together. The same applies to something formed by pouring liquid metal or plastic into a cast, the mould that makes the shape.
Caste, a homophone meaning a particular group of people in society, has a completely different origin and is not related.

Throughout time words can take on different meanings even though the language is the same. Take the word sick for example. Sick can be used to mean something the speaker actually likes, "That last run on the half-pipe was sick!"
And it can mean someone is ill.

The scripture examples you gave only use the word olam. Besides I have quite a few unanswered questions from my first post to be completely fair.
OK the words you gave as examples have two different meanings so are they good comparisons of olam with the list of def. you posted? There are literal translations that are much more consistent like Young's or Concordant.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
No place for repentance will be found after this life.

Revelation 22:11
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still:and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still:and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still:and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
logabe said:
I have a question... what is the difference between long duration and eternity? Long duration
has time, while eternity has no time. Sooo... which is it?

What's the difference between age and eternal? Age has a beginning and an end (time), and
eternal has no time. Sooo... which is it?

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe
Again that would depend on the author's intent.

jiggyfly said:
OK the words you gave as examples have two different meanings so are they good comparisons of olam with the list of def. you posted? There are literal translations that are much more consistent like Young's or Concordant.
All of these reference tools used are accepted at the scholar level and are considered standards for reference.

The words I chose have no affiliation to the word olam yet they illustrate my point well that some words are homonyms.

Also let us keep in mind these words we infer to come from ancient languages. No one can just go to the authors and ask, "Exactly what did you mean by "olam", was it a long time of forever?"

But what we can do is look at context and infer from the surrounding concepts what the author intended.

Lets take for example this verse.
Matthew 25:46
46 “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

If we look at punishment as being temporal, then life must be viewed the same way as the two are being contrasted. But if we are to take eternal to mean just that then both must mean forever, or without end.
The context here is judgment, when the Son of Man comes in His glory. This speaks of the final judgment as revealed in revelation. Most believe the eternal life to be just that, eternal, for there is no need for further judgment for these, thereby the eternal punishment must be just that also, eternal.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
justaname said:
Again that would depend on the author's intent.

All of these reference tools used are accepted at the scholar level and are considered standards for reference.

The words I chose have no affiliation to the word olam yet they illustrate my point well that some words are homonyms.

Also let us keep in mind these words we infer to come from ancient languages. No one can just go to the authors and ask, "Exactly what did you mean by "olam", was it a long time of forever?"

But what we can do is look at context and infer from the surrounding concepts what the author intended.

Lets take for example this verse.
Matthew 25:46
46 “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

If we look at punishment as being temporal, then life must be viewed the same way as the two are being contrasted. But if we are to take eternal to mean just that then both must mean forever, or without end.
The context here is judgment, when the Son of Man comes in His glory. This speaks of the final judgment as revealed in revelation. Most believe the eternal life to be just that, eternal, for there is no need for further judgment for these, thereby the eternal punishment must be just that also, eternal.
The definition I gave you also works with that scripture and all other scriptures without having to change definitions.

You obviously believe in unending torment so what do you suppose some will be tormented endlessly for?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jiggyfly said:
The definition I gave you also works with that scripture and all other scriptures without having to change definitions.

You obviously believe in unending torment so what do you suppose some will be tormented endlessly for?
If we use your definition then we do not have eternal life, but rather temporal life, and well that would mean we have to face another form of death again.

From that particular verse, it speaks of eternal punishment...
I think the judgment is clear in the context of that verse why they will suffer that fate. But...

Matthew 25:42
42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’

John 3:18
18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 “This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

This verse speaks of eternal tourment...

Revelation 20:10
10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
justaname said:
If we use your definition then we do not have eternal life, but rather temporal life, and well that would mean we have to face another form of death again.

I think the judgment is clear in the context of that verse why they will suffer that fate. But...

42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’

18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 “This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Then you misunderstand my definition, I would view life beyond our scope of vision to be much more than temporal.

What do you suppose some will be endlessly tormented for, is it their sin?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
What do you suppose some will be endlessly tormented for, is it their sin?
Their sin separates them from GOD. Living apart from the glory of GOD forever would be torment.

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
justaname said:

Let's read what God has to say about punishment in Deut. 25:3,

3 " He may beat him forty times but no more, so that
he does not beat him with many more stripes than
these and your brother is not degraded in your eyes.

So if I believe God punishes for eternity, then God can't possibly be practicing
what He preaches according to what He spoke to Moses. Do we believe that
God will actually go against His own Law and punish people according to man's
interpretation?

Come on brothers... it's got to line up or someone will be fighting against God
and believing something that God has warned us not to do. Didn't Jesus tell His
disciples to go back to the Law and see what it said, and then He opened their
understanding that they might understand the scriptures (Luke 24:44-45).

According to several of my Christians friends, the Law is a bad word to them. But,
when it comes to punishment... the Law protects me from the so called Grace Age
interpreters. The Israelites did some really bad things in the Old Testament, but
God still protected them by limiting their punishment to 40 stripes. Yes, they still
died in the wilderness, but God has promised to raise them up, and all Israel shall
be saved (Rom. 11:26).

In essence, God's Plan was to blind Israel for a purpose, and that is hard for us to
understand. But Paul said in Rom. 11:11,

11 I say then, they did not stumble so as to fall, did they?
May it never be! But by their transgression salvation has
come to the Gentiles, to make them jealous.

So what did their fall do? Let's read verse 12,

12 Now if their transgression is riches for the world and
their failure is riches for the Gentiles, how much more will
their fulfillment be!

These are the people that were rebellious, idolaters, fornicators, murmurers, lustful,
complainers, and everything else that comes with the flesh. Yet, God used them
in His Plan, and Paul said that they will turn to Him and be saved. So death isn't
even eternal because they will be raised up and evidently corrected, just as Paul
tells us in 1st Cor. 15:26,

26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.

How can death be eternal if it is abolished? We must be missing something. If we
believe the wages of sin is death, we must also believe God is going to destroy
death by giving life. Therefore, the day is coming when all shall hear the voice of
God and come forth from the outer darkness and see Jesus as He really is.

What a God! What a Plan!

Logabe

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Their sin separates them from GOD. Living apart from the glory of GOD forever would be torment.

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid [his] face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2
So you believe the torment some will experience in hell will be the same that many experience now being separated from God?
I believe that Jesus took away the sin of the world as the scriptures say, why don't you? Do you believe that Jesus accomplished what He was sent to do?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
So you believe the torment some will experience in hell will be the same that many experience now being separated from God?
I believe that Jesus took away the sin of the world as the scriptures say, why don't you? Do you believe that Jesus accomplished what He was sent to do?
I don't believe you can show me anywhere in scripture that Jesus took away the sin of the world. John called him the lamb who was in the process of taking away the sin of the world. In my mind that won't completely happen for at least another 1000 years. On the cross, Jesus took away the power of sin for those who believe.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
I don't believe you can show me anywhere in scripture that Jesus took away the sin of the world. John called him the lamb who was in the process of taking away the sin of the world. In my mind that won't completely happen for at least another 1000 years. On the cross, Jesus took away the power of sin for those who believe.
Do you have the time to post scriptures that support your opinion?