Is your tattoo faith based?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your tattoo faith based in its design?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I have a tattoo(s), but it/they are not faith based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have no tattoo

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No, but I would consider receiving a faith based tattoo design

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, but I'm surrently not sure what to think, whether I would get one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My own general disagreement [not specific because God may require from one or a few what He would frown upon for most] with the application of tatoos is only indirectly connected to Leviticus. I am more concerned with accomplishing God's will by being a living testimony because I am led by the Holy Spirit. How can a person be a good steward when he permanently marks the body God provided without being led by God to so? I doubt that many of those people who say that their tatoos are faith based checked in with God before deciding to have one applied. What is it that God really wants from each of us? A witness from our mouth alone or from everything that we do?

As to lot a "Christians" doing it, my own view is that a lot of Christians look to themselves first in too many things instead of seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness. I believe this is true of me as well as of others. We all need to move closer to God ourselves. Prayer and fasting and talking to God are the things that come to mind for me... certainly getting a tatoo.
I see what you mean, yes, and I don't disagree with a lot that you say. On the contrary.

I guess that among the many Christians who do get tattooed - many of them with faith based designs - quite a lot of them would probably say that they did indeed give it a lot of thought and even soul searching before they went ahead and received the ink needling in faith based patterns. @Butterfl, in above posts, seems anyway to have given hers a great deal of thought.

A while ago I saw this quote, which I guess suggests that it's rather widespread among Christians:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have no idea which parlor she went to though; because there are many in my town.
Seems like so many women - Christian women - are finding the confidence to have it done (while years ago it was very much a man thing).

She probably realizes that now in North America 59% - 70% or more of parlor clients are female.

So she probably gained a lot of confidence now to do it, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I suppose. (btw, I am currently attending a Calvary Chapel).
Well, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few ppl - of both genders - at a Calvary Chapel would be tattooed, faith based or not. (Without making a big deal of it, either...) The person who recently did it probably just did it confidently.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk
farouk: I see what you mean, yes, and I don't disagree with a lot that you say. On the contrary.

I guess that among the many Christians who do get tattooed - many of them with faith based designs - quite a lot of them would probably say that they did indeed give it a lot of thought and even soul searching before they went ahead and received the ink needling in faith based patterns. @Butterfl, in above posts, seems anyway to have given hers a great deal of thought.

A while ago I saw this quote, which I guess suggests that it's rather widespread among Christians:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

I also live in what people have called the Bible Belt, but what does that really mean to God? Again it is simply a statement according to a person's experience rather what 'thus saith the Lord'. In this world that we see around us [planet Earth] while things have changed since I was young, they have not necessarily gotten worse nor better in the eyes of God. My memories are of a better time, but my eyes were really quite blind then so what is it that I remember that is really "good"?

God made it all "very good" but since Adam and Eve disobeyed God it has not been very good and it is not now... not the whole picture, but who is able to see the whole picture? Not the ones with the tatoos nor the ones without the tatoos, but those to whom God have given "eyes to see" and who also strive to do whatever is necessary to see more clearly. What is necessary to improve our vision?

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see." Rev 3:18

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... before she became more knowledgeable.
People are certainly becoming more knowledgeable about tattoos and their design possibilities, aren't they? and it's the many shows, including Ink Masters, LA Ink, etc., that are contributing to it, right?
While some ppl are starting to watch shows such as Ink Masters and the others, I guess you yourself must have been watching them for quite a while, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk

I also live in what people have called the Bible Belt...
It was an interesting quote, anyway, wasn't it? which maybe shows just how widespread it has become.

Many Christians, instead of resisting it, embrace it and use it for faith base designs that are proven effective in starting witness conversations.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was an interesting quote, anyway, wasn't it? which maybe shows just how widespread it has become.

Many Christians, instead of resisting it, embrace it and use it for faith base designs that are proven effective in starting witness conversations.
Of course my own opinion has to do with what is or is not being preached and taught in too many churches as well as what I have observed in this Bible belt. How many real followers of Christ are there? I hope to really be one.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Of course my own opinion has to do with what is or is not being preached and taught in too many churches as well as what I have observed in this Bible belt. How many real followers of Christ are there? I hope to really be one.
By God's grace, so do I.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure she would have been motivated seriously to do for witness reasons and personal reminder maybe also.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says in the Old Testament that we are not supposed to mark our body. However, in Matthew 5:17-20 it does not say that disobeying the commandments of the Old Testament will necessarily put you out of the kingdom: it merely teaches that you will not be called as great in the kingdom.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She said that it commemorated victory over some kind of mental health issue.
How interesting that she wanted to indicate to you that her letting the ink flow in represented a positive mental equilibrium! (An interesting answer indeed to whatever question you might have put to her.)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't really say anything negative about her tattoo. I think I may have just noticed it and asked her what it meant.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didn't really say anything negative about her tattoo. I think I may have just noticed it and asked her what it meant.
I wasn't suggesting that you would have said anything negative about it.

Seems like she was very willing to talk to you about the meaning behind her recently acquired inking. A lot of Christians use it as a witness tool because it is a proven effective way of starting conversations, so maybe she was glad of your question.