Isaiah predicted the name Cyrus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isaiah 44:

7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come— yes, let them foretell what will come.
Only the true God can predict the future. Isaiah lived almost 2 centuries before Cyrus. He continued:

28 [the LORD] says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose’; saying of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be built,’ and of the temple, ‘Your foundation shall be laid.’
Isaiah named the name "Cyrus" before he was born.

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges

The name Cyrus is in Persian Kûrush, in Babylonian Kurash, in Greek Κῦρος. The traditional Hebrew pronunciation is Kôresh
According to Josephus (Ant. XI. Isaiah 1:2) it was the reading of this verse that fired Cyrus with the ambition to restore the Jewish Temple and nationality.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that's amazing to predict someone by name well before they were born. Even if the title was possibly already in circulation in some regard, it would still be amazing.

If God wanted, He could make prophecy the very motivator for its fulfillment. I heard the story once that Alexander the Great had heard about a prophecy of his deeds in the book of Daniel. And so, he continued to live out his legacy as such.

I don't really know enough about these things to be sure about anything...

Reactions: Nancy