It is not in the bible.....sola scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible is its’ own interpreter, its’ own dictionary, and it defines its’ own terms!
That sounds a bit like science. It is by the Spirit we judge all things, everything else is purely mens wisdom and understanding. But than reliogion loves to baffle people...

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most people don’t know (even those who read and study Scripture) that God is the Author of the Bible. Had they known they would have trembled at the words they read concerning man’s decease of sin and it’s consequences, but will also learn God has provided a solution through His Son Jesus.

The Bible is its’ own interpreter, its’ own dictionary, and it defines its’ own terms!

For example, even to the singularity and plurality of a word God makes a distinction. See Galatians 3:16

If you’re suggesting a group of men put the books together and called it the Bible, you’re mistaken!

Let’s say you wrote a book and after finishing the first chapter leaves it in the bedroom, and then continues to write several chapters after and leaves them in other rooms of the house, will you allow someone to put those chapters together in a book not knowing how the sequence of chapters went? Of course not. Likewise, do you suppose God will allow sinful men to put His Books together without His guidance? I should say not!

The Bible is one harmonious and one cohesive whole, that is, the Gospel message should be seen in every page of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation, and if we don’t see it, it does not mean the Gospel is not there, it is because God has not opened our spiritual eyes. Have you ever wondered why the book of Esther is in the Bible yet there is no mention of God there?
Because Esther is included in the Septuagint that Jesus and the apostles used.

And, if you’re suggesting the Apocrypha books (hidden books) should be included in the Bible, one reading would immediately alert the reader that those books are not in harmony with the Bible. In contrast, the book of Esther is in the Bible yet the word “God” is not mentioned. Why is this so?

Because the book of Esther is full of many spiritual elements.

You can’t see these kinds of types and figures in the Apocrypha books.

To God Be The Glory
Matt. 2:16 – Herod’s decree of slaying innocent children was prophesied in Wis. 11:7 – slaying the holy innocents.

Matt. 6:19-20 – Jesus’ statement about laying up for yourselves treasure in heaven follows Sirach 29:11 – lay up your treasure.

Matt.. 7:12 – Jesus’ golden rule “do unto others” is the converse of Tobit 4:15 – what you hate, do not do to others.

Matt. 7:16,20 – Jesus’ statement “you will know them by their fruits” follows Sirach 27:6 – the fruit discloses the cultivation.

Matt. 9:36 – the people were “like sheep without a shepherd” is same as Judith 11:19 – sheep without a shepherd.

Matt. 11:25 – Jesus’ description “Lord of heaven and earth” is the same as Tobit 7:18 – Lord of heaven and earth.

Matt. 12:42 – Jesus refers to the wisdom of Solomon which was recorded and made part of the deuterocanonical books.

Matt. 16:18 – Jesus’ reference to the “power of death” and “gates of Hades” references Wisdom 16:13.

Matt. 22:25; Mark 12:20; Luke 20:29 – Gospel writers refer to the canonicity of Tobit 3:8 and 7:11 regarding the seven brothers.

Matt. 24:15 – the “desolating sacrilege” Jesus refers to is also taken from 1 Macc. 1:54 and 2 Macc. 8:17.

Matt. 24:16 – let those “flee to the mountains” is taken from 1 Macc. 2:28.

Matt. 27:43 – if He is God’s Son, let God deliver him from His adversaries follows Wisdom 2:18.

Mark 4:5,16-17 – Jesus’ description of seeds falling on rocky ground and having no root follows Sirach 40:15.

Mark 9:48 – description of hell where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched references Judith 16:17.

Luke 1:42 – Elizabeth’s declaration of Mary’s blessedness above all women follows Uzziah’s declaration in Judith 13:18.

Luke 1:52 – Mary’s magnificat addressing the mighty falling from their thrones and replaced by lowly follows Sirach 10:14.

Luke 2:29 – Simeon’s declaration that he is ready to die after seeing the Child Jesus follows Tobit 11:9.

Luke 13:29 – the Lord’s description of men coming from east and west to rejoice in God follows Baruch 4:37.

Luke 21:24 – Jesus’ usage of “fall by the edge of the sword” follows Sirach 28:18.

Luke 24:4 and Acts 1:10 – Luke’s description of the two men in dazzling apparel reminds us of 2 Macc. 3:26.

John 1:3 – all things were made through Him, the Word, follows Wisdom 9:1.

John 3:13 – who has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven references Baruch 3:29.

John 4:48; Acts 5:12; 15:12; 2 Cor. 12:12 – Jesus’, Luke’s and Paul’s usage of “signs and wonders” follows Wisdom 8:8.

John 5:18 – Jesus claiming that God is His Father follows Wisdom 2:16.

John 6:35-59 – Jesus’ Eucharistic discourse is foreshadowed in Sirach 24:21.

John 10:22 – the identification of the feast of the dedication is taken from 1 Macc. 4:59.

John 10:36 – Jesus accepts the inspiration of Maccabees as He analogizes the Hanukkah consecration to His own consecration to the Father in 1 Macc. 4:36.

John 15:6 – branches that don’t bear fruit and are cut down follows Wis. 4:5 where branches are broken off.

Acts 1:15 – Luke’s reference to the 120 may be a reference to 1 Macc. 3:55 – leaders of tens / restoration of the twelve.

Acts 10:34; Rom. 2:11; Gal. 2:6 – Peter’s and Paul’s statement that God shows no partiality references Sirach 35:12.

Acts 17:29 – description of false gods as like gold and silver made by men follows Wisdom 13:10.

Rom 1:18-25 – Paul’s teaching on the knowledge of the Creator and the ignorance and sin of idolatry follows Wis. 13:1-10.

Rom. 1:20 – specifically, God’s existence being evident in nature follows Wis. 13:1.

Rom. 1:23 – the sin of worshipping mortal man, birds, animals and reptiles follows Wis. 11:15; 12:24-27; 13:10; 14:8.

Rom. 1:24-27 – this idolatry results in all kinds of sexual perversion which follows Wis. 14:12,24-27.

Rom. 4:17 – Abraham is a father of many nations follows Sirach 44:19.

Rom. 5:12 – description of death and sin entering into the world is similar to Wisdom 2:24.

Rom. 9:21 – usage of the potter and the clay, making two kinds of vessels follows Wisdom 15:7.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Cor. 2:16 – Paul’s question, “who has known the mind of the Lord?” references Wisdom 9:13.

1 Cor. 6:12-13; 10:23-26 – warning that, while all things are good, beware of gluttony, follows Sirach 36:18 and 37:28-30.

1 Cor. 8:5-6 – Paul acknowledging many “gods” but one Lord follows Wis. 13:3.

1 Cor. 10:1 – Paul’s description of our fathers being under the cloud passing through the sea refers to Wisdom 19:7.

1 Cor. 10:20 – what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God refers to Baruch 4:7.

1 Cor. 15:29 – if no expectation of resurrection, it would be foolish to be baptized on their behalf follows 2 Macc. 12:43-45.

Eph. 1:17 – Paul’s prayer for a “spirit of wisdom” follows the prayer for the spirit of wisdom in Wisdom 7:7.

Eph. 6:14 – Paul describing the breastplate of righteousness is the same as Wis. 5:18. See also Isaiah 59:17 and 1 Thess. 5:8.

Eph. 6:13-17 – in fact, the whole discussion of armor, helmet, breastplate, sword, shield follows Wis. 5:17-20.

1 Tim. 6:15 – Paul’s description of God as Sovereign and King of kings is from 2 Macc. 12:15; 13:4.

2 Tim. 4:8 – Paul’s description of a crown of righteousness is similar to Wisdom 5:16.

Heb. 4:12 – Paul’s description of God’s word as a sword is similar to Wisdom 18:15.

Heb. 11:5 – Enoch being taken up is also referenced in Wis 4:10 and Sir 44:16. See also 2 Kings 2:1-13 & Sir 48:9 regarding Elijah.

Heb 11:35 – Paul teaches about the martyrdom of the mother and her sons described in 2 Macc. 7:1-42.

Heb. 12:12 – the description “drooping hands” and “weak knees” comes from Sirach 25:23.

James 1:19 – let every man be quick to hear and slow to respond follows Sirach 5:11.

James 2:23 – it was reckoned to him as righteousness follows 1 Macc. 2:52 – it was reckoned to him as righteousness.

James 3:13 – James’ instruction to perform works in meekness follows Sirach 3:17.

James 5:3 – describing silver which rusts and laying up treasure follows Sirach 29:10-11.

James 5:6 – condemning and killing the “righteous man” follows Wisdom 2:10-20.

1 Peter 1:6-7 – Peter teaches about testing faith by purgatorial fire as described in Wisdom 3:5-6 and Sirach 2:5.

1 Peter 1:17 – God judging each one according to his deeds refers to Sirach 16:12 – God judges man according to his deeds.

2 Peter 2:7 – God’s rescue of a righteous man (Lot) is also described in Wisdom 10:6.

Rev. 1:4 – the seven spirits who are before his throne is taken from Tobit 12:15 – Raphael is one of the seven holy angels who present the prayers of the saints before the Holy One.

Rev. 1:18; Matt. 16:18 – power of life over death and gates of Hades follows Wis. 16:13.

Rev. 2:12 – reference to the two-edged sword is similar to the description of God’s Word in Wisdom 18:16.

Rev. 5:7 – God is described as seated on His throne, and this is the same description used in Sirach 1:8.

Rev. 8:3-4 – prayers of the saints presented to God by the hand of an angel follows Tobit 12:12,15.

Rev. 8:7 – raining of hail and fire to the earth follows Wisdom 16:22 and Sirach 39:29.

Rev. 9:3 – raining of locusts on the earth follows Wisdom 16:9.

Rev. 11:19 – the vision of the ark of the covenant (Mary) in a cloud of glory was prophesied in 2 Macc. 2:7.

Rev. 17:14 – description of God as King of kings follows 2 Macc. 13:4.

Rev. 19:1 – the cry “Hallelujah” at the coming of the new Jerusalem follows Tobit 13:18.

Rev. 19:11 – the description of the Lord on a white horse in the heavens follows 2 Macc. 3:25; 11:8.

Rev. 19:16 – description of our Lord as King of kings is taken from 2 Macc. 13:4.

Rev. 21:19 – the description of the new Jerusalem with precious stones is prophesied in Tobit 13:17.

Exodus 23:7 – do not slay the innocent and righteous – Dan. 13:53 – do not put to death an innocent and righteous person.

1 Sam. 28:7-20 – the intercessory mediation of deceased Samuel for Saul follows Sirach 46:20.

2 Kings 2:1-13 – Elijah being taken up into heaven follows Sirach 48:9.

2 Tim. 3:16 – the inspired Scripture that Paul was referring to included the deuterocanonical texts that the Protestants removed. The books Baruch, Tobit, Maccabees, Judith, Sirach, Wisdom and parts of Daniel and Esther were all included in the Septuagint that Jesus and the apostles used.

Sirach and 2 Maccabees – some Protestants argue these books are not inspired because the writers express uncertainty about their abilities. But sacred writers are often humble about their divinely inspired writings. See, for example, 1 Cor. 7:40 – Paul says he “thinks” that he has the Spirit of God.

The Protestants attempt to defend their rejection of the deuterocanonicals on the ground that the early Jews rejected them. However, the Jewish councils that rejected them (e.g., School of Javneh (also called “Jamnia” in 90 – 100 A.D.) were the same councils that rejected the entire New Testatment canon. Thus, Protestants who reject the Catholic Bible are following a Jewish council that rejected Christ and the Revelation of the New Testament.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you’re suggesting a group of men put the books together and called it the Bible, you’re mistaken!

Likewise, do you suppose God will allow sinful men to put His Books together without His guidance? I should say not!

To God Be The Glory
Hi Jun2u,

In an effort to more narrowly focus our discussion I have quoted ONLY the above from your post that make no sense to me.

If the bible is it's own interpreter then why are there so many different interpretations of Scripture?

Examples: Baptism saves OR Baptism doesn't save
Jesus real presence in the Eucharist OR It's just bread and wine
Faith Alone saves you OR Faith + Grace + Works saves you

Do you accept the writing from Clement of Rome (1 Clement) as Scripture? Do you accept Revelations as Scripture?

I never said God would allow a group of men to put His books together without His guidance. I am saying opposite of that. Men did put his book together with His guidance. Which men do you choose? The men of the Catholic Church? Orthodox Church? Protestant Churches?

IHS....Mary

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sounds a bit like science. It is by the Spirit we judge all things, everything else is purely mens wisdom and understanding. But than reliogion loves to baffle people...

We’ve had this discussion in the past. If you don’t believe the Bible is the Word of God, why keep quoting scriptures. Our belief is structured and determined by what authority we hold. I hold to the authority that the Bible alone and in it’s entirety is the Word of God. What’s your authority?

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: KBCid and tabletalk

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What’s your authority?
What authority does teh bible have, go speak it to the devil see if you can move Him, guaranteed he knows it fare better, the only authority given is that from God wheter it comes from Him, through Jesus or teh Holy Spirit, go look at BOL's post quoting teh bible left right and center certainly has done him no good. When mankind put the bible before God, than made it greater than God they created and Idol, a god before God. So does God have to agree wtih teh bible ot teh bible agree with God ???

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jun2u,

In an effort to more narrowly focus our discussion I have quoted ONLY the above from your post that make no sense to me.

If the bible is it's own interpreter then why are there so many different interpretations of Scripture?

Examples: Baptism saves OR Baptism doesn't save
Jesus real presence in the Eucharist OR It's just bread and wine
Faith Alone saves you OR Faith + Grace + Works saves you

Do you accept the writing from Clement of Rome (1 Clement) as Scripture? Do you accept Revelations as Scripture?

I never said God would allow a group of men to put His books together without His guidance. I am saying opposite of that. Men did put his book together with His guidance. Which men do you choose? The men of the Catholic Church? Orthodox Church? Protestant Churches?

IHS....Mary

Hello Curious Mary,

The word baptism/baptize means to “wash.” Water baptism CANNOT save anyone it only washes away dirt from our body 2Peter 3:16. The washing that saves that God speaks about is the washing away of sins, that is, the “washing of regeneration” spelled out in Titus 3:5!

Concerning the Eucharist, the commentary on this is found in 1Corinthians 11:24-30 and it is self explanatory. If you do not understand any of it let me know and I’ll try to expound on it, specially the ominous warning given.

Ephesians 2:8-9 reads:
“For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast.”
Most people have no idea how to read Scripture, and rightly so will misinterpret difficult passages like Ephesians 2 above. They fail to see both words “grace” and “faith” are gifts from God. They believe they have faith, and if they do then why do they need to exercise it?

When someone receives the gifts of grace and faith, good works follows.

Look at the story of the woman found in adultery in John 8:3-11. Not to be condemned means to be saved. Did the story mention she had faith? No! But she received grace from the only person that could give it to her.

I don’t know who Clement of Rome is, and if I don’t recognize anyone from Scripture it means he’s not significant or someone not inspired.

Enough testing, you’ve learned more today for what you’ve bargained for.

To God Be The Glory

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you have not followed our discussions then it’s likely you’ll not understand why I said Kepha is being deceitful.

But to answer your post, yes I agree the word “brethren” is the plural form of the word “brothers.” However, if you look up the word brethren in the early chapters of the Book of Acts you’ll find the word brethren has a different connotation which means “countrymen” and/or “fellow Jews.” This is one of other reasons why I thought Kepha changed the word “brethren” in 1Corinthians 9:5 into the word “brothers.”

Jesus also used the word brethren to signify all believers, as per Matthew 28:10.

My discussions with Kepha together with the church he belongs to believe that Mary is in the state of “Perpetual Virginity” that is she is a virgin forever.

And I of course opposed that notion.

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

Sorry, but the word 'brethren' doesn't appear in my Bible at all - its only use in modern English (according to my dictionary) is to refer to a community of monks. And the Greek also makes no distinction between 'natural' brothers and brothers in the sense of fellow-Jews or fellow-believers - the interpretation depends entirely on context.

(Incidentally, I do not believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin - so I'm on your side in this particular debate! But Kepha hasn't "changed the word", as you put it - he's just following modern usage. I'm just puzzled as to why you thought it implied deception)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I hold to the authority that the Bible alone and in it’s entirety is the Word of God.
a problem might be that that perspective should allow you to quote the Bible saying this, when you cannot, and in fact the opposite is all you can find. Doesn't this speak to you any?

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a problem might be that that perspective should allow you to quote the Bible saying this, when you cannot, and in fact the opposite is all you can find. Doesn't this speak to you any?

Sure most definitely I can quote the Bible that I hold to the authority that the Bible in its’ entirety is the Word of God, for it determines and structures my beliefs!

God’s revelation to mankind is finished. The problem lies with men as they do not give credence to God as the Author of the Bible, nor do they obey what is written therein, because they believe men wrote the Bible. True, God used men as His vehicle to write the Gospel but He dictated every word and letters.

As I’ve already alluded to, God’s revelation to man is finished, as declared by the ominous warning set forth in Revelation 22:18-19. We look to the Bible alone to learn about the things of God, not out there (in the world).

Who or what determines and structures your authority in the things of God, in self?

To God Be The Glory

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Sure most definitely I can quote the Bible that I hold to the authority that the Bible in its’ entirety is the Word of God, for it determines and structures my beliefs!
so then quote it, that we might also see! :)
God’s revelation to mankind is finished. The problem lies with men as they do not give credence to God as the Author of the Bible, nor do they obey what is written therein, because they believe men wrote the Bible. True, God used men as His vehicle to write the Gospel but He dictated every word and letters.
ah well the Gospel is the Word, but then we debate the definition of "Gospel" endlessly too, huh. We might get to this later maybe
We look to the Bible alone to learn about the things of God, not out there (in the world).
ah; i rely on Word myself, in the world, where i am commanded to be, from which hearing comes, but we might just be having a difference in semantics there mostly.

However there are some other verses that suggest what you are saying is not even possible, if "we" are able to come to a time when the Law--not the Word btw, but the Law, the Book, the Bible--is "written on our hearts."

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Who or what determines and structures your authority in the things of God, in self?
could you rephrase this? Because my answer would be "Word" or "Christ," another expression for Word, but you will understand that to mean "the Bible," and then we would not be communicating imo.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
could you rephrase this? Because my answer would be "Word" or "Christ," another expression for Word, but you will understand that to mean "the Bible," and then we would not be communicating imo.

I am an unlearned man and I don’t know how to articulate myself well enough as English is my second language. However, I am not making any excuses for my lack of education but I don’t believe that semantics is the problem here, rather it is our interpretation and how we understand Scriptures.

When I said, “the things of God” what I had in view is about God, about His Laws, about His commandments, and so forth. In other words, anything and everything what is contained in the Bible/word.

,Let’s say you are the big boss at a big company and you wanted to make a memo to the employees, you
would summon for your secretary to sit down and write the memo right? You begin to start dictating and upon completion, your secretary prints out a copy and pins the document on the bulletin board. When the employees read it will they wonder whether the memo came from you or from the secretary? It’s obvious isn’t it?

Likewise, when we read the Bible we know it came from God as per 2 Peter 1:21, and I quote, “but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Wait a minute, it also declares, “for the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man!”

Here, and in the scenario of the big company, God and the big boss were the prime movers. I’m
glad God is always in control.

Did the above helped in any way to express myself? I hope so. In any case, please ask if you have more questions.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: bbyrd009

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Curious Mary,

The word baptism/baptize means to “wash.” Water baptism CANNOT save anyone it only washes away dirt from our body 2Peter 3:16. The washing that saves that God speaks about is the washing away of sins, that is, the “washing of regeneration” spelled out in Titus 3:5!

Concerning the Eucharist, the commentary on this is found in 1Corinthians 11:24-30 and it is self explanatory. If you do not understand any of it let me know and I’ll try to expound on it, specially the ominous warning given.

Ephesians 2:8-9 reads:
“For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast.”
Most people have no idea how to read Scripture, and rightly so will misinterpret difficult passages like Ephesians 2 above. They fail to see both words “grace” and “faith” are gifts from God. They believe they have faith, and if they do then why do they need to exercise it?

When someone receives the gifts of grace and faith, good works follows.

Look at the story of the woman found in adultery in John 8:3-11. Not to be condemned means to be saved. Did the story mention she had faith? No! But she received grace from the only person that could give it to her.

I don’t know who Clement of Rome is, and if I don’t recognize anyone from Scripture it means he’s not significant or someone not inspired.

Enough testing, you’ve learned more today for what you’ve bargained for.

To God Be The Glory
I guess if you only want to PARTIALLY quote scripture then you are right. However, if we fully quote scripture, you are wrong: Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (1Peter3:21)

1Corinthians 11:24-30 confirms the Real Presence.

Some are saved by Grace alone. Others by faith and grace. Everyone has grace, not all have faith. The FACT is that some of those that have faith do not do the good works so your theory that "good works follow" is not a viable theory. Faith DOES NOT equal GOOD WORKS. Scripture even tells us that.

You don't know Clement of Rome? You should learn your Christian history. The men of the early Church debated if Clements writings should be included in our current bible; that's how important he was to early Christianity. You really don't know him? Or are you kidding me? Do you know any of the Apostolic or Early Church Fathers?

I don't know what you mean by "end of testing" and suggesting that I learned more today than what I bargained for? The only thing I learned is that you like to partially quote scripture to fit your personal belief and you don't know who Clement of Rome was. I don't see a test so your statement makes no sense.

Also, John 6 has more to say about the Real Presence than Corinthians. For you to reference Corinthians is, once again, only partially quoting scripture and shows your lack of knowledge about scripture.

IHS....Mary

Last edited:

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess if you only want to PARTIALLY quote scripture then you are right. However, if we fully quote scripture, you are wrong: Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (1Peter3:21)

1Corinthians 11:24-30 confirms the Real Presence.

Some are saved by Grace alone. Others by faith and grace. Everyone has grace, not all have faith. The FACT is that some of those that have faith do not do the good works so your theory that "good works follow" is not a viable theory. Faith DOES NOT equal GOOD WORKS. Scripture even tells us that.

You don't know Clement of Rome? You should learn your Christian history. The men of the early Church debated if Clements writings should be included in our current bible; that's how important he was to early Christianity. You really don't know him? Or are you kidding me? Do you know any of the Apostolic or Early Church Fathers?

I don't know what you mean by end of testing and suggesting that I learned more today than what I bargained for? The only thing I learned is that you like to partially quote scripture to fit your personal belief and you don't know who Clement of Rome was. I don't see a test so your statement makes no sense.

Also, John 6 has more to say about the Real Presence than Corinthians. For you to reference Corinthians is, once again, only partially quoting scripture and shows your lack of knowledge about scripture.

IHS....Mary

You partially quoted 1Peter 3:21. "21. There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,..."

Baptism shouldn't be separated from faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and a good conscience toward God.

Reactions: Jun2u

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You partially quoted 1Peter 3:21. "21. There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,..."

Baptism shouldn't be separated from faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and a good conscience toward God.
Dear tabletalk,

I don't understand the point your trying to make. You are only re-enforcing my point. Is that your goal?

I quoted the portion that is relevant; BAPTISM SAVES YOU. Nothing in that verse says that baptism DOESN'T save you so why fully quote it?

If you want to use the KJV then let's put verse 21 in context:

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. 21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth...."

Translation: Noah and his family were saved by water, now baptism, with the like figure (water) doth the same thing.

doth defined:
present tense of "do" (does).

IHS...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We’ve had this discussion in the past. If you don’t believe the Bible is the Word of God, why keep quoting scriptures. Our belief is structured and determined by what authority we hold. I hold to the authority that the Bible alone and in it’s entirety is the Word of God. What’s your authority?

To God Be The Glory

Who are you talking to in this post?

Mary