James Was Not Talking about Faith in Jesus Christ for Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims to have faith but he has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith.

*So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple!

Remember that James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims to have faith but he has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith.

*So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple!

Remember that James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims to have faith but he has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith,
Since faith only with no obedience is not genuine Biblical faith it cannot be true saving faith!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The issue that some have who are born again, and all have who are religious but lost, is this....

They , in both cases......do not understand that SALVATION is not DISCIPLESHIP.

They are not the SAME.

Salvation, is what God does for you, as Christ on the CROSS.

Discipleship, is all those works you are trying to do, BECAUSE God has SAVED YOU.

See the difference?
If you do, then you are well ahead of the pack of Legalists who will never see the difference.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The harmony of Romans 4:2-3 and James 2:24 is seen in the differing ways that Paul and James use the term "justified." Paul, when he uses the term, refers to the legal (judicial) act of God by which He accounts the sinner as righteous. James, however is using the term to describe those who would show the genuineness of their faith by the works that they do.

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 4:5-6;; 5:1); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony*

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony*

James says.....'i'll show YOU my faith by my works'.

"YOU">......is not God............"YOU" is james talking about others...........as in "by their fruit YOU YOU YOU shall know them".

God does not have to see fruit, as lifestyle or self effort........because God sees your HEART.

Its PEOPLE who will judge you faith, your "is he a real one".......how ?? by your FRUIT.
And if you dont have any Fruit Proof, you will be evaluated as having dead faith.......of being a FAKE.

God already knows....so, all your fruit bearing, is not for him, as James teaches.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The harmony of Romans 4:2-3 and James 2:24 is seen in the differing ways that Paul and James use the term "justified." Paul, when he uses the term, refers to the legal (judicial) act of God by which He accounts the sinner as righteous. James, however is using the term to describe those who would show the genuineness of their faith by the works that they do.

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 4:5-6;; 5:1); yet the faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony*
James was not teaching meritorious works,
Therefore the works that do save according to James 2:24 cannot be meritorious.
Therefore the obedient faith that saves is without merit. Faith with obedient works save. Not faith with meritorious works save. James makes himself clear only faith with works justifies, James 2:24. No one is saved until they are justified by God, Romans 8:30; Romans 4:2-3

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not the hypocrits, the pharisees, though God called them hypocrits. Look at Paul, whom you seem to have some issues with, who declared his righteousness of the law, he declared himself blameless, and counted it manure.

Much love!

Again, you are not seeing that the law that Paul is referring to is Judaism. You need more than just looking at words in verses to understand the truth. The bible was written from life and eternal reality. Paul escaped from the Mosaic law...not God's law. The New Covenant needs the Old Covenant. Notice your bible has both. There is a reason for that. The Old Covenant WAS the bible of the early Christians (Scriptures)

The Old Testament is about righteousness and the New Testament COVERS that righteousness (not replaces it) with the righteousness of God.

Paul tells Timothy that the scripture (OT) are good for instruction in righteousness (not holiness).

You may have to ponder this for some time before seeing it.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore the works that do save according to James 2:24 cannot be meritorious.
Therefore the obedient faith that saves is without merit. Faith with obedient works save. Not faith with meritorious works save. James makes himself clear only faith with works justifies, James 2:24. No one is saved until they are justified by God, Romans 8:39; Romans 4:2-3
Just as I suspected. You teach salvation by faith “and works” in contradiction to scripture. (Romans 4:2-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9) Scripture does not agree with your spin that we are saved by “these” works and just not “those” works.

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as I suspected. You teeth salvation by faith “and works” in contradiction to scripture. (Romans 4:2-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9) Scripture does not agree with your spin that we are saved by “these” works and just not “those” works.
Strange, you already admitted faith alone is not genuine faith,

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not seeing that righteousness is on 2 separate levels. Why do we need to repent before we are justified? Because repentance is necessary for righteousness. This is not God's righteousness..it is our own. Unless OUR righteousness is greater than the hypocrites....we cannot enter into the kingdom. Why? Because God's righteousness is built on our own. It is built on humility, honesty and the fear of the Lord. The filthy rags is when we try going it alone without God's covering righteousness.

Imagine a bottom floor that is open to the elements. Without the second storey with the roof (covering) attached to it, we get rained on. But with the covering we remain dry...without spot or wrinkle.

Be careful to not think the truth is so one-sided. Eternal wisdom has two sides...or two levels. Ours and God's. We are to work WITH God. That is what relationship is all about. Otherwise those who are saved could not be judged by their works...which they most assuredly will be.

Do more seeking. You are getting some things right....keep going! :) <><

Peace

I see repent as repenting from unbelief to believing in Him is how we are saved. It is important that sinners know that Jesus can deliver them from their sins as they can hope in Him for that and not just for eternal life because sinners are slaves to sin for why they cannot see it in themselves to exercise any will power to repent from all sins when they need Him in them to do that.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 7:22-23 is judgement scenario--These believe. It was not good enough. Any who practice a sin( work iniquity) is not covered-Hebrews 10:26

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

They are still His people.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strange, you already admitted faith alone is not genuine faith,
An empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains “alone” (barren of works) is not genuine faith. (James 2:14-18)

Not to be confused with genuine faith that trusts in Christ “alone” for salvation and results in producing good works. (Ephesians 2:5-10)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Therefore the works that do save

Jesus saves, not works.

Listen, if your works could save you......if trying to be good and not bad, could save you, then why did Christ have to die for you?

ITs because only Jesus saves, and your works are not a part.
God only accepts what Christ did for you, to save you, and keep you saved.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you, any who may read,

It will always boil down to the Gospel, and having faith in the Gospel of Christ, love for God and love for others.

James is such a wonderful book to learn from, it is talking about in my opinion that one needs to look at himself in the mirror and realize that he was a sinner before Jesus had come into their lives and they had a born again experience in which they have now a heart towards God. With God pouring out his Holy Spirit in the new inner person who now believes, and now becomes a spiritual new birthed Child of God, love through Christ Jesus with-in us starts to flow into our heart and then in the end, comes forth from our actions by our faith in the Lord Jesus.

Otherwise the faith one has, has not true meaning unless it is becoming active and maintained daily, because faith without (works - being love by the spirit (1 Corinthians 13), (Galatians 5). Is what is founded to be the most important.

In love, kindness, mercy, peace, patience, of Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament is about righteousness and the New Testament COVERS that righteousness (not replaces it) with the righteousness of God.

Philippians 3:2-11 KJV
2) Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
3) For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4) Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6) Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7) But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11) If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

This is what you are holding on to, claiming it's what God wants from you. What Paul counted dung.

Touching the righteousness of the Law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

We do not bring our own righteousness to God, as if it were something like His righteousness. Our cake and His frosting?

You may have to ponder this for some time before seeing it.

We definitely need to give our attention to the Word of God, what He Himself has said. So many try to blend and spiritualize and do not see what He wrote to us.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God's righteousness is built on our own.
Rather,

1 Corinthians 1:27-31 KJV
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The filthy rags is when we try going it alone without God's covering righteousness.
The "filthy rags" is referring to "our righteousness". This is your offering to God. It is not Paul's offering, he counts it dung.

Again, there was a time God overlooked sin, but now commands men everywhere to repent. Why the difference? That's something to consider.

Much love!