Jehovah is either God or He is not, correct?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Curt, who did Jesus say to worship sir? Might you explain why Jesus said what he did at Mat 18:26? That may assist greatly in understanding sir.
And Who let men worship him? Jesus. Who did God say to worship to the angels? Jesus. And who clearly said if you’ve seen me you’ve seen the father? Jesus.
That Jesus is divinity is not just a little clear, It is absolutely ridiculously clear, beyond any shadow of a doubt, to anyone actually cares about the truth, and who actually reads the Scriptures, and puts them together to see what they say as a whole.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you find the verse Jesus quoted to be worded strangely Wrangler, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. I know that Moses should record Jehovah's words as inspired, but I would have been very tempted to render it Jehovah our God is one God. To me that makes much more sense.

This is one reason I like the VOICE translation; it makes explicit who is doing the talking. It is Jehovah or the LORD or God speaking. What I find strange is the absence of comma's:
  • Ex 20:5 ESV: I the LORD your God am a jealous God
In modern English would be I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God. It is a curious corruption at Biblegateway that when you copy such verses and paste them, the pasted syntax is lowercase Lord.

The LORD alone is God. Scripture states this over and over and over again. There are many Lords in Scripture. At no point in Scripture are any of the Lords, including Jesus referred to as LORD.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one reason I like the VOICE translation; it makes explicit who is doing the talking. It is Jehovah or the LORD or God speaking. What I find strange is the absence of comma's:
In modern English would be I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God. It is a curious corruption at Biblegateway that when you copy such verses and paste them, the pasted syntax is lowercase Lord.

The LORD alone is God. Scripture states this over and over and over again. There are many Lords in Scripture. At no point in Scripture are any of the Lords, including Jesus referred to as LORD.

And the LORD clearly is one God manifest as three persons.

Exodus 20:5:in Hebrew is, I the Yahweh, your Elohim, am a jealous El.

Elohim hasn’t changed meaning, it’s still the plural name for God, indicating more than one, literally translating as Gods.

Thus the passage literally means, I the Yahweh, your trinity, am a jealous God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the LORD clearly is one God manifest as three persons.

Exodus 20:5:in Hebrew is, I the Yahweh, your Elohim, am a jealous El.

Elohim hasn’t changed meaning, it’s still the plural name for God, indicating more than one, literally translating as Gods.

Thus the passage literally means, I the Yahweh, your trinity, am a jealous God.
Complete and total departure from reality.

The meaning of Elohim has been explained many times. It does not literally mean trinity. It means heavenly being.

you cannot believe what you’re saying if there was an ounce of truth to it Hebrews would’ve been trinitarians since thousands of years BC

While God is a heavenly being, not all heavenly beings are God.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People speak the same language, but use different terms, or the same terms with different meanings....and ooooh la la, the debate is on. LOL

Amen to that Taken, and interestingly I have found that many have a completely different mind picture of words, you take a simple Bible passage and people understand what it is saying so much differently.

Reactions: Taken

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is worded very strangely if one concludes that there is only one entity called Jehovah or that Jehovah is divided like the pagan triads (counterfewits) of gods who had separate natures!

By using the plural elowah and echad (which can designate a unified one or plural one) instead of yachid (absolute one) God was saying something about HImself that though three- they are one

We believe the plurality denotes majesty, not different beings into one Ron. The Bible is quite clear about who Jehovah is, and Jesus as well, not so clear about the holy spirit. Leaving the holy spirit aside, almost everyone recognizes that Jehovah and Jesus are not the same being.

Reactions: Wrangler

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup.
The vowels in the anagram were lost in Babylon, so the only thing we know for certain is "JEHOVAH" is not the correct transliteration of the original since it comes from mashing together two different words since the name of GOD was too holy to write down.

Considering how many different names God gives Himself, I don't think that He is as uptight about the issue as some people are. He knows His sheep and they follow Him and He gives them eternal life (see John 10 for more details.)

Hi Sir, God has but one name AT, and that is Jehovah. You are absolutely correct however, He did give it to Himself Ex 3:15. English is simply a language, and even if we disagree with how someone translates a word from one language into it, we have no right to change the authorities documented words, there has to be order, for understanding. Every single translator who translates YHWH into the Divine Name in English translates it Jehovah. Many versions choose not to translate it, and substitute Adonai, and translate it LORD. Some forwards in Bibles explain this, but it is quite common knowledge now anyway.

God's name was originally given to humans in the Hebrew language, and is YHWH. Since all of us posting here is posting in English, I use the English rendering Jehovah when discussing it here.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you are correct in that we do not serve the same god! You serve the God redesigned by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Association. and in this time is your enemy, not your friend.

Many people deroggatively say that about me (us). I believe you may have a valid point with some of us, but most of us are Jehovah's witnesses sir. To most of us we recognize the governing body as being the assigned faithful slave Jesus put over his sheep while he is gone. It is very true that we all believe the same thing, since we are all Christs disciples, but a true Christian would never place any man above God. I clearly do not do that, and would challenge you to give an example where you find me doing so, I will be glad to rebut it. Just because they worship and serve the same God that I do, and we all congregate together, does not mean that we worship each other, our very name should indicate whose witnesses we are. At the very least our teachings will reveal to an honest individual who our God is, without much trying I might add. Acts 5 is a great account where the brothers taking the lead tried to get the brothers to obey them over God, notice what we faithful ones told them sir in verse 29. Virtually every one of us would tell the governing body that today if they told us to do something against what God says. But I do give you this, I do believe some among us idolizes them.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Who let men worship him? Jesus. Who did God say to worship to the angels? Jesus. And who clearly said if you’ve seen me you’ve seen the father? Jesus.
That Jesus is divinity is not just a little clear, It is absolutely ridiculously clear, beyond any shadow of a doubt, to anyone actually cares about the truth, and who actually reads the Scriptures, and puts them together to see what they say as a whole.

I guess you have chosen not to investigate further. Jesus is our mentor sir, he worshipped Jehovah, and instructed his followers to do so. I will worship Jehovah, and you are certainly free to whoship whomever you please. Thanks for our conversations Curt.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's name was originally given to humans in the Hebrew language, and is YHWH. Since all of us posting here is posting in English, I use the English rendering Jehovah when discussing it here.

One advantage to not using the word LORD is that it avoids the pretend confusion with lord.

Jesus is a lord among many in the Bible and the lord for his followers. Yet, there is only one LORD God, who is none of these lords.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Of course the best way Wrangler is to translate it as Jehovah since that is what is there. True, most translators will render it all capitals, because they fully are aware that it is referring to God, rather than to Jesus. A clear example is found at Ps 110:1 where the distinction is clear. Are you aware that everywhere translators of various versions render LORD that God's name is there? That is the case at Ex 20:5

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We believe the plurality denotes majesty, not different beings into one Ron. The Bible is quite clear about who Jehovah is, and Jesus as well, not so clear about the holy spirit. Leaving the holy spirit aside, almost everyone recognizes that Jehovah and Jesus are not the same being.

As do I, but plurality of majesties is not as the man made organization you trust teaches, but means a multiples of majesties (beings)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy answer sir, Jehovah in English. He is God. Any other name would have to fall lesser don't you think?

I guess you don't know Scripture well.

Philippians 2:9-11
King James Version

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The word other never appears in any manuscript so don't even go there. and no the Watchtower guess that is what God meant is opinion and not truth.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people deroggatively say that about me (us). I believe you may have a valid point with some of us, but most of us are Jehovah's witnesses sir. To most of us we recognize the governing body as being the assigned faithful slave Jesus put over his sheep while he is gone. It is very true that we all believe the same thing, since we are all Christs disciples, but a true Christian would never place any man above God. I clearly do not do that, and would challenge you to give an example where you find me doing so, I will be glad to rebut it. Just because they worship and serve the same God that I do, and we all congregate together, does not mean that we worship each other, our very name should indicate whose witnesses we are. At the very least our teachings will reveal to an honest individual who our God is, without much trying I might add. Acts 5 is a great account where the brothers taking the lead tried to get the brothers to obey them over God, notice what we faithful ones told them sir in verse 29. Virtually every one of us would tell the governing body that today if they told us to do something against what God says. But I do give you this, I do believe some among us idolizes them.

Very simply sir. when you accept teh reinterpretations of the governing class of th eScripture as the truth and not the word as truth as written, you have placed a group of men above God. Whether you would admit it or not, when you accept their reinterpretations you accept teh fact that god needs editing and that teh governing class have some mystical powers like RCC priests to reveal secrets from god.

But as Paul wrote about Jews who faithfully served the law I can honestly say this about JW's:

Romans 10
King James Version

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

As long as you reject the truth of Scripture that Jesus rose again from the dead in the body He died in- you are forever lost. And I wish that not for you.

So many of the things the Jw's pose as doctrine is irrelevant to salvation, but because they have made them offenses to be disfellowshipped for- they have become issues to be railed against with every breath I and others have! this is very insulting, but the Watchtower is nothing more than another cruel and dictatorial copy of the RCC church when it was at its tyrannical worst.

Personally I have found most JW's extremely cordial, friendly diligent, hardworking, honest, kind etc. but not one of these things will rescue a soul from the lake of fire.

Reactions: Nancy

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you don't know Scripture well.

I guess you don't know Scripture well referencing one of the most anti-trinitarian verses in a book filled with anti-trinitarian verses.

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Note the parsing of Jesus from God.

Note how the verse does not identify Jesus as being the LORD God but one of many lords in Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.