Jesus Commands Trust and Love, not the Mosaic Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reflective listening thing? Can you be more concise?
You are asking me to be more concise about what reflective listening is.

This is when you tell me something, and I tell you back what I think you are saying in my own words. Then you tell me either I understand, or you correct where I'm off. Then I restate it again, and you either affirm or correct until we are agreed I understand what you are saying.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are asking me to be more concise about what reflective listening is.

This is when you tell me something, and I tell you back what I think you are saying in my own words. Then you tell me either I understand, or you correct where I'm off. Then I restate it again, and you either affirm or correct until we are agreed I understand what you are saying.

Much love!
It helps to keep your posts as short as possible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't like to read long posts. Try saying what you have to say in a sentence or two.
Jesus commands us to trust Him and love others, and in doing this we fulfill all that is needed.

I believe that you are saying our obedience to God is informed by the commandments throughout the Bible, specifically certain ones of them, that have universal application, showing God's values and nature. God doesn't change, so what He says is wrong in one time is wrong in all times, including our times. Knowing His commandments in all times gives us a foundation to base our obedience on, and our obedience is to conform to His commandments, not concerning ourselves with when they were given, or to whom. If we fail to maintain this standard, we can expect to have trouble in our lives because of that.

Or to say . . . It seems that you are saying to use the commandments of the Law to define what love is, so if we don't keep the commandments, we get into trouble.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus commands us to trust Him and love others, and in doing this we fulfill all that is needed.

Or to say . . . It seems that you are saying to use the commandments of the Law to define what love is, so if we don't keep the commandments, we get into trouble.

Much love!
Yes, but how do you define "love"? Don't the Lord's commandments do exactly that?

Reactions: Iconoclast

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but how do you define "love"? Don't the Lord's commandments do exactly that?
I define love the way the Bible defines love. That we lay down our lives for others. Whether by physically dying, were that the situation, or by serving others instead of ourselves.

I define love as my commitment to another's well being. Not concerning myself with my needs, so I can fill your needs.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I define love the way the Bible defines love. That we lay down our lives for others. Whether by physically dying, were that the situation, or by serving others instead of ourselves.

I define love as my commitment to another's well being. Not concerning myself with my needs, so I can fill your needs.

Much love!
Well, yes, the Bible defines love through the commandments. How many people commit adultery regularly, while thinking they are loving people?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, yes, the Bible defines love through the commandments.
There is much more to love than in the commandments.

And the adultery thing, really? Do you really think that's what I'm talking about?

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is much more to love than in the commandments.

And the adultery thing, really? Do you really think that's what I'm talking about?

Much love!
I can't know what you are talking about till you tell me. But in a sentence or two, please.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Christ came to free absolve people from keeping the Law as antinomians claim, then passages like Isa. 2:3, Mic. 4:2, and Zech. 14:16-19 shouldn't exist. Those passages say the Law will be kept as a way of life by everybody who lives during the Millennium. Christ isn't going to come back and magically make the world be peaceful and adhere to biblical Christianity. That will become a reality because everybody will have been taught to keep the Law.

The Bible also shows that Christians who have already been faithfully keeping the Law throughout the 7 Church eras will be their teachers:

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;" - 1 Pet. 2:9

"and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." - Rev. 1:6

"And have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth.” - Rev. 5:10

As the OT shows, the priests and rulers were held more responsible for keeping the Law than the common Israelites because they were supposed to be the educators and primary examples of what holy living looked like. And as the above NT passages show, God doesn't expect any less from true Christians. When Christ returns and Christians are truly reborn as literal God Beings(contrary to what Orthodox Christianity teaches, this is what Christ actually meant when He said a person had to be born again to see the Kingdom of God), a world that has just been freed from Satan's influence will need teachers to guide them and kings that will properly rule over them.

In order for God to trust anyone with that kind of authority in His Kingdom, He has to first know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the individual Christian will remain loyal to His laws in their physical lives. The Law is how God has been making man in His image throughout human history, and the Law is how He will remake the entire universe in His image once His plans for this planet are complete. There won't be any Lucifers in His Kingdom teaching lies about how Christ supposedly came to abolish the Law.

Reactions: GEN2REV

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus and all the Apostles Commanded All the 10 Commandments.

New Testament

First Commandment -- Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; Revelation 14:7
Second Commandment -- John 4:23; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-20; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:5
Third Commandment -- Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; 5:12
Fourth Commandment -- Luke 4:16; 23:55-56; Acts 17:1-2; 18:4; Hebrews 4:9; 1 John 2:6
Fifth Commandment -- Matthew 15:4-9; 19:19; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; Ephesians 6:1-3
Sixth Commandment -- Matthew 5:21-22; 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 1:29-30; 13:9
Seventh Commandment -- Matthew 5:27-28; 19:18; Mark 10:11-12, 19; Luke 16:18; 18:20; Romans 7:2-3; 13:9
Eighth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:28; 1 Peter 4:15; Revelation 9:21
Ninth Commandment -- Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 13:9; Ephesians 4:25
10th Commandment -- Luke 12:15; Romans 1:29; 7:7; 13:9; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3, 5

Most Christians strive to keep all Ten Commandments.

But in fairness, I believe Judaism today has 613 Commandments. If Jesus abrogated the Law of Moses, then does this mean that the Jewish Law is no longer applicable to Christians? Or do we just ignore most of Judaism, but follow only the Commandments of Mount Sinai?