Jesus' Crucifixion and Death, and Burial, were on consecutive days

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes, and if you keep reading, in Hebrews 4:9 we read, "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath" according to Lamsa's correctly rendered Pishitta version.

The passage is clear if we're resting inwardly in Jesus, we'll evidence that by resting outwardly on the Sabbath from our work.

Those who love Jesus will keep His Sabbath commandment, and conversely, those who claim to love Him but refuse to obey His commandments reveal they are not His saints.

This is getting to be deep things. <<The passage is clear if we're resting inwardly in Jesus,>> Be realistic, that is exact and say what the Scripture says. And it does not say, <<The passage is clear if we're resting inwardly in Jesus,>> Yes what you say is implied and correct and meaningful and true. But it is not, what stands written.

What stands written is not our subjective experience of the rest of God, BUT THE HISTORIC TRUTH that Jesus Resurrected from the dead and God THEREFORE would not speak of yet another "day" OF SALVATION while / "IF JESUS GAVE THEM REST" -- HIMSELF!

That "Jesus gave them Rest", THAT, IS WHY : for the People of God Sabbath's -rest is valid / imperative / lasts". The fact JESUS gave them Rest by Himself having RAISED FROM THE DEAD "ON THE SABBATH", THAT, is what gives impetus and imperative and essence and substance to the LAW "God BY THE SON SPAKE concerning the Seventh Day: And God [IN CHRIST] the day The Seventh Day FROM ALL, HIS, WORKS - including his work of his REST IN CHRIST - RESTED".
NOT by our <resting inwardly in Jesus>, but by God's POWER and authority in the RESURRECTION OF HIS SON, has HIS Sabbath the Seventh Day of the week, any blessedness, any sacredness, any completeness, ANY, REST, "for the People of God"!

This means, keeping Sabbath because of the Law, is clueless and useless.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It is hundreds, in fact EVERY time any of the WCs argue for their Wednesday Crucifixion, that their ONLY PRINCIPLE OR BASIS OR MOTIVE why Jesus' Burial could not be on the great day sabbath of the passover, is this narrow-minded straining at a gnat pharisaic supposed 'law', that <NO WORK> was allowed on such 'holy' sabbaths, while, on the contrary, this passover yearly great day of sabbaths WAS PACKED WITH MOST STRENUOUS OF EFFORT to comply with, as, that Israel had to "MOVE OUT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT", had to CARRY on their shoulders all their belongings including their unleavened dough and the bones of Joseph and MAKE FIRE on it to "burn that which remained" of the passover sacrifice which also they had to bring along, roasted with entrails; and they had to pitch tent and break down and again pitch -- all on the High Sabbath of the passover specifically!

FOUR transgressions of the supposed <law> on <work on holy day sabbaths> are seen here at a single quick glance!

The 'sabbath journey' law
The 'no fire' law
The 'not carry' law
The 'don't touch a dead thing' law

I would not be surprised if Paul condemned JUDAISM and Pharisaism in the CHURCH, over precisely THESE <holy sabbaths no work allowed laws> "after the commandments and the first principles of the world and men", like the WC'S bigotry TODAY! Colossians 2:20-23!
So burying a body is like serving at table??? You definitely are more confused now, because you just cannot create a crack in what I've said, so now you're trying to make one up, thus bearing false witness. God rebuke you.

Last edited:

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
FOUR transgressions of the supposed <law> on <work on holy day sabbaths> are seen here at a single quick glance!

The 'sabbath journey' law
The 'no fire' law
The 'not carry' law
The 'don't touch a dead thing' law

I would not be surprised if Paul warned about JUDAISM and Pharisaism in the CHURCH, over precisely THESE <holy sabbaths no work allowed laws> "after the commandments and the first principles of the world and men", like the WC'S bigotry TODAY! Colossians 2:20-23!

When you have to resort to quoting yourself, I suspect that should lead you to an understanding that the conversation is over, Gerhard. Your point about the Sabbath having been distorted by the Pharisees is irrelevant. Why bring up the idea that the Pharisees had distorted Torah on the point of Sabbath observance? (And I am not even convinced that you are correct about the distinction you have made between"servile" work and "strenuous" work). The fact is that the practices of the Pharisees were in place at the time of the Crucifixion. NO WORK WAS PERMITTED, "servile" or not. Even carrying a sleeping mat got one into trouble as the gospels show.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
When you have to resort to quoting yourself, I suspect that should lead you to an understanding that the conversation is over, Gerhard. Your point about the Sabbath having been distorted by the Pharisees is irrelevant. Why bring up the idea that the Pharisees had distorted Torah on the point of Sabbath observance? (And I am not even convinced that you are correct about the distinction you have made between"servile" work and "strenuous" work). The fact is that the practices of the Pharisees were in place at the time of the Crucifixion. NO WORK WAS PERMITTED, "servile" or not. Even carrying a sleeping mat got one into trouble as the gospels show.

<<the conversation is over, Gerhard.>>
If <the conversation is over>, why do YOU go on with everything except what could be <relevant>!

<<Why bring up the idea that the Pharisees had distorted Torah on the point of Sabbath observance?>>
Why do the WC's bring up the idea that the Pharisees had the correct view about the Torah on the point of Sabbath observance?

<<I am not even convinced that you are correct about the distinction you have made between"servile" work and "strenuous" work>>

Well, I am convinced I never tried to make, or have made <distinction .. between "servile" work and "strenuous" work>. I showed the identity. I showed the distinction between "servile-" or "strenuous work" on the one hand and NO work on the other hand!

<<The fact is that the practices of the Pharisees were in place at the time of the Crucifixion.>>

<In place> with everyone except with the Giver of the Torah.

<<NO WORK WAS PERMITTED, "servile" or not.>>

According to the Pharisees as according to YOU and the WCs, certainly, in whose camp you stand in opposition to the Torah, yes!

Last edited:

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If <the conversation is over>, why do YOU go on with everything except what could be <relevant>!

<<Why bring up the idea that the Pharisees had distorted Torah on the point of Sabbath observance?>>
Why do the WC's bring up the idea that the Pharisees had the correct view about the Torah on the point of Sabbath observance?

<<I am not even convinced that you are correct about the distinction you have made between"servile" work and "strenuous" work>>

Well, I am convinced I never tried to make, or have made <distinction .. between "servile" work and "strenuous" work>. I showed the identity. I showed the distinction between "servile-" or "strenuous work" on the one hand and NO work on the other hand!

<<The fact is that the practices of the Pharisees were in place at the time of the Crucifixion.>>

According to the Pharisees as according to YOU and the WCs, certainly, in whose camp you stand in opposition to the Torah, yes!

Is English a second language for you? Your posts make little sense--probably why people have quit responding to you. This will be my last.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Distorting the truth and lack of knowledge is not going to get you anywhere. If you do not know, go look it up.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This means, keeping Sabbath because of the Law, is clueless and useless.
I'm going to break it down for you so simply:

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God ("rest" - Gr. "Sabbatismos", not "Kataposis" which is the Gr. in the previous 8 verses, and is a reference to the weekly Sabbath)

"...for he that hath entered into His rest (an obvious reference to spiritual rest)

"...he hath ceased from his own works (meaning "daily work", not "works of sin" as evidenced below)

"...as God did from His." (Did God rest from "works of sin" or did He literally rest from working when He brought forth Creation? Yes, He rested literally, and so are we to rest literally.)

That's why the Pishitta version correctly translates the verse, "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath..."

Marriage is the public expression of the inward devotion of the husband and wife to each other.
Baptism is the public expression of the inward devotion to God as our Savior.
Sabbath keeping is the public expression of the inward devotion to God as both our Creator and Redeemer.

...and why you antinomianists want to get rid of the last one is evident: it's the only one that involves risk - risk of losing employment, risk of losing respect of peers, risk of losing a spouse, etc., right or wrong?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To which all I can only say, AMEN. Amen on one condition : THE MOTIVE, THE GROUNDS, THE ESSENCE AND SUBSTANCE for, in the subordinate position, one's obedience however weak and incomplete; and for, in the FIRST place in rank and importance far above the true believer's best obedience, THE SABBATH'S GROUNDS, ESSENCE AND SUBSTANCE WHICH IS CHRIST RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD. Not and no longer the Law the Fourth Commandment and Israel's rising from the Red Sea except for edification and instruction and contemplation and everything that is good UNDER CHRIST RESURRECTED "on the weekly Sabbath before the First Day of the week" Matthew 28:1.

Or the Law-motivated Seventh Day Sabbath of the best of the best of the obedient is in VAIN and in truth, to the dishonour of Christ.
I agree that motive is the key. Love for God. Now, what about motive for refusing to obey His commandments?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Is English a second language for you? Your posts make little sense--probably why people have quit responding to you. This will be my last.
Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn

How like the fiends of hell .. are false teachers who craftily and industriously hunt for the precious life, devouring men by their false-hoods. Spurgeon

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Better is that infirmity which humbles me, than that duty which makes me proud. Thomas Watson

Better is that infirmity which humbles me, than that ABILITY which makes me proud. Gerhard Ebersöhn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm going to break it down for you so simply:

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God ("rest" - Gr. "Sabbatismos", not "Kataposis" which is the Gr. in the previous 8 verses, and is a reference to the weekly Sabbath)

"...for he that hath entered into His rest (an obvious reference to spiritual rest)

"...he hath ceased from his own works (meaning "daily work", not "works of sin" as evidenced below)

"...as God did from His." (Did God rest from "works of sin" or did He literally rest from working when He brought forth Creation? Yes, He rested literally, and so are we to rest literally.)

That's why the Pishitta version correctly translates the verse, "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath..."

Marriage is the public expression of the inward devotion of the husband and wife to each other.
Baptism is the public expression of the inward devotion to God as our Savior.
Sabbath keeping is the public expression of the inward devotion to God as both our Creator and Redeemer.

...and why you antinomianists want to get rid of the last one is evident: it's the only one that involves risk - risk of losing employment, risk of losing respect of peers, risk of losing a spouse, etc., right or wrong?

Have you read, any, of my posts?

I bet not!

You are just a Seventh day Adventist, the alpha and omega of knowledge, wisdom and holiness. Meantime you are 'n pyn in die gat.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you read, any, of my posts?

I bet not!

You are just a Seventh day Adventist, the alpha and omega of knowledge, wisdom and holiness. Meantime you are 'n pyn in die gat.
I've read them. They are totally subjective arguments. Meanwhile, have you been reading mine? Because you don't seem to have anything to offer by way of refutation regarding what Hebrews 4:9-10 plainly says about how the Christian who is resting in Christ will evidence that inward rest by outwardly resting from his daily toil and labor on Sabbath "as God did from His."

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn 41 mins ·
"I, Paul, tell you what is most important, that Christ rose from the dead, that He according to the Scriptures the third day, rose." Of what importance then is it that "the angel explained to the women .. the third day .. mid-afternoon late on the weekly Sabbath before the First Day of the week"? The importance that "the third day" became Christian Confession of Faith and the Sabbath, Christian practice!

Hebrews 4:4-9 says THE SAME: "If JESUS gave them Rest, there THEREFORE for the People of God remains Sabbath observance valid."

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn The unparalleled synopsis of the Gospels, 'The Heart of the Gospel' Read EVERY relevant Scripture in the last chapters of the four Gospels, in textual sequence put together in chronological and logical, historical order, word for word, verse by verse, context to context, using the King James Version interlinear with the Greek.
Read it HERE,

http://www.biblestudents.co.za/http://www.biblestudents.co.za/.../Die%20Hart%20van%20die...

BIBLESTUDENTS.CO.ZA

Bible Students - The Lord's Day in the Covenant of Grace

Bible Students - The Lord's Day in the Covenant of Grace