Jesus in the Old Testament

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HI 101

I'm posting this because it's what I learned about Melchizedek.

Hebrews 7:11-28New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Like Melchizedek
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the peopleA)"> established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come,B)"> one in the order of Melchizedek,C)"> not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe,D)"> and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar.E)"> 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah,F)"> and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:

“You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek.”a]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30082a">[a]G)">

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and uselessH)"> 19 (for the law made nothing perfect),I)"> and a better hopeJ)"> is introduced, by which we draw near to God.K)">

20 And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21 but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:

“The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:L)">
‘You are a priest forever.’”b]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30086b">[b]M)">

22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.N)">

23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.O)"> 25 Therefore he is able to saveP)"> completelyc]" data-fn="#fen-NIV-30090c">[c] those who come to GodQ)"> through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.R)">

26 Such a high priestS)"> truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners,T)"> exalted above the heavens.U)"> 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrificesV)"> day after day, first for his own sins,W)"> and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for allX)"> when he offered himself.Y)"> 28 For the law appoints as high priests men in all their weakness;Z)"> but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son,AA)"> who has been made perfectAB)"> forever.

I also would like to post Genesis 14:18 for those reading along.

Genesis 14:18New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

The bread and wine remins me of Jesus being the Body and Blood in communion.
the Lord Jesus is not Melchizedek, only his titles relate to our Lord. understand the Lord Jesus is God shared in flesh. so that ruled him out as Melchizedek, but he is Priest, and King. as a foreshadow of Christ, yes.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GG, as I mention, check out the Lord Jesus in Genesis 1:1 as the aleph and the tav, which is the first and the last.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"Jesus Christ is the one and only Melchizedek, the King of Peace and Righteousness."
Who was MELCHIZEDEK?
no he was not, he was a priest, to the "MOST HIGH" GOD, not a High Priest himself. so that's not our Lord Jesus there.
i dunno, but this link seems as good as any to relate the one side, so you might state your position in relation to it, with the understanding that these are perspectives, i'm not looking for like proof or anything. I've just never heard the concept of "Melchizedek is a type for Christ" even disputed before, so pardon me if it takes a minute here ok

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
the Lord Jesus is not Melchizedek, only his titles relate to our Lord. understand the Lord Jesus is God shared in flesh. so that ruled him out as Melchizedek, but he is Priest, and King. as a foreshadow of Christ, yes.
Did I say Jesus is Melchizedek?
Do I believe in reincarnation?

Anone or anything that is a TYPE of Christ is NOT JESUS, but only a TYPE.

Moses is also not Jesus.
He is a TYPE of Jesus.

(you misunderstood my post...)

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
"Jesus Christ is the one and only Melchizedek, the King of Peace and Righteousness."
Who was MELCHIZEDEK?

i dunno, but this link seems as good as any to relate the one side, so you might state your position in relation to it, with the understanding that these are perspectives, i'm not looking for like proof or anything. I've just never heard the concept of "Melchizedek is a type for Christ" even disputed before, so pardon me if it takes a minute here ok
bb
This is a good link I found on Melchizedek:

A type is a person or thing or event that resembles or personifies something that will come in the future. It helps the people become familiar with a person or idea before it actually comes on the scene. For example:
  • The Ark = the church
  • Animal sacrifice = Jesus' sacrifice
  • Enslavement, liberation, wilderness, land of promise experience = the Christian's journey from lostness to salvation through faithfulness to final glorification in heaven.
  • The Promised Land = heaven
  • Elijah the prophet = John the Baptist.

Melchizedek is a type, a very special type:

• He is the type for the eternal priesthood of Christ.
  • Aaron, Moses' brother, was a priest appointed by God and served as a type and model for all the priests who offered animal sacrifice under the Law of Moses.
  • But Aaron was not a good model to serve as a type to billboard the coming of Jesus and His work as a high priest, offering not animals as sacrifice but Himself. Aaron was sinful and weak, and he would die. He had to continually offer sacrifice each day.
  • The Old Testament needed a better type to prefigure the role of Jesus as high priest: perfect, eternal, superior. God was not going to prefigure or to serve as a type for Himself so Melchizedek serves as this type.
Hebrews 7:1-10 explains how this is so. He is only a man but the way the Old Testament describes him allows him to carry the cloak of the eternal high priest who would come later:

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. – Hebrews 7: 1-2
The titles the Bible gives him (king of righteousness and peace) will ultimately be fulfilled by Christ.

Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually. – Hebrews 7:3
The fact that the Word does not mention his genealogy does not mean that he does not have one, it simply means that his appearance in the Bible is presented in such a way to suggest eternity.

Again when the Christ comes, this appearance of immortality suggested by Melchizedek they type, will become a reality for the true high priest.

Now observe how great this man was to whom Abraham, the patriarch, gave a tenth of the choicest spoils. 5 And those indeed of the sons of Levi who receive the priest's office have commandment in the Law to collect a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham. – Hebrews 7:4-5
The fact that Abram, the father of the Jews paid tithes to Melchizedek shows that he was greater than Abram. In the same way the high priest who is after the "type" of Melchizedek is greater than the high priests who are descendants of Abraham.

So Melchizedek prefigures, billboards, educates us in advance about the special high priestly position that Christ would fulfill, that no other priestly type in the Old Testament could do.

Reactions: bbyrd009

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said the Lord Jesus is not Melchizedek. I said that, not you? well.......

Reactions: GodsGrace

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose there are two ways to address this:
  1. Actual visitations by Jesus.
  2. Portrayals of Jesus.
The biggest portrayal of Jesus, was King Solomon. He was a son of David, a king of kings, the wisest man and judge noted in history, he built the house of God, and he owned more richest than can be imagined.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I suppose there are two ways to address this:
  1. Actual visitations by Jesus.
  2. Portrayals of Jesus.
The biggest portrayal of Jesus, was King Solomon. He was a son of David, a king of kings, the wises man and judge noted in history, he built the house of God, and he owned more richest than can be imagined.
He built the house of God...
The Kingdom of God.

Reactions: ScottA

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Daniel 2:44- And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Daniel 7:13- I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. 14- And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

God gives Jesus (the Word of God) a Kingdom!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Daniel 2:44- And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Daniel 7:13- I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. 14- And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

God gives Jesus (the Word of God) a Kingdom!
good one :)

@jaybird this kinda explains the reason ppl can only buy real estate, the "dominion" thing there i guess