Jesus is the answer. - But what's the question?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remembered the punch line, but I had to Google the joke:

The pastor was giving the Children's Sermon. As part of the object lesson, he asks, “What is brown and furry with a big bushy tail?”

The children just sit there staring at him.

He sits quietly for a few moments waiting for one of them to answer. Sheepishly a child in the back raises his hand and says, “Preacher, I know the answer is always 'Jesus', but that sure sounds like a squirrel to me.”
You should not use the Lord name in vain.
Joe

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say I took The Name in vain;
I don't even know The Name.
But if I did, really, what's it to ya?
There's a blaze of light in every word,
It doesn't matter which one you heard,
The holy or the broken 'Hallelujah'.
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu-u-u-u-jah.

- Leonard Cohen, "Hallelujah"

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say I took The Name in vain;
I don't even know The Name.
But if I did, really, what's it to ya?
There's a blaze of light in every word,
It doesn't matter which one you heard,
The holy or the broken 'Hallelujah'.
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu-u-u-u-jah.

- Leonard Cohen, "Hallelujah"
Making jokes about the Lord is very disrespectful. Where is your reverence for Christ?

Quoting a song does not make what you did right.
Joe

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll reprise this story:

Our Sunday School class was having a discussion, and a 20-30ish young lady who had recently come to Christ testified that Jesus had been the answer to all her questions. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a better understanding of what her questions at the time were. I recall they had something do with putting order into what had been a chaotic life.

My own contribution to the discussion was that I found as I got older, the nature of the questions changed.

It's been years since that lady has come to our church; I wonder how she's doing now?

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll reprise this story:

Our Sunday School class was having a discussion, and a 20-30ish young lady who had recently come to Christ testified that Jesus had been the answer to all her questions. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a better understanding of what her questions at the time were. I recall they had something do with putting order into what had been a chaotic life.

My own contribution to the discussion was that I found as I got older, the nature of the questions changed.

It's been years since that lady has come to our church; I wonder how she's doing now?
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

I see no remorse in your last post.

Joe

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What question(s) does Jesus answer by BEING the answer?

Is Jesus a complete answer?
Or does this leave us with MORE questions?

Are the questions more important than the answers?

How would you answer these questions?

/

If Jesus doesn't leave you with questions-- you'll lack faith.

Reactions: Lambano

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

I see no remorse in your last post.

Joe
Are you the arbiter of what it means to take God's name in vain? I'm not the arbiter either, but I have seen nothing in this thread that I would remotely consider taking God's name in vain. Having attended Southern Baptist churches for years, I guarantee you'd be shocked and offended by the harmless little jokes that are a mainstay of Baptist sermons (many of which are actually pretty funny). I thought the bumper sticker of my college days - HONK IF YOU'RE JESUS - was a hoot and a wry commentary on the HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS nonsense.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you the arbiter of what it means to take God's name in vain? I'm not the arbiter either, but I have seen nothing in this thread that I would remotely consider taking God's name in vain. Having attended Southern Baptist churches for years, I guarantee you'd be shocked and offended by the harmless little jokes that are a mainstay of Baptist sermons (many of which are actually pretty funny). I thought the bumper sticker of my college days - HONK IF YOU'RE JESUS - was a hoot and a wry commentary on the HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS nonsense.
Dear O'Darby,
Using the name of the Lord in jokes or other disrespectful ways violates the second commandment.

As Christians, we should serve and speak of the Lord only with "reverence and godly fear" because His name is above all names.

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Phil 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Lev 19:12 And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

When a person uses the name of the Lord in jokes, bumper stickers or any other disrespectful way (which are many), they are profaning His holy name and bringing His name down to the level of any other name. This should not be done; especially by those who claim to be His children.

Joe

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Using the name of the Lord in jokes or other disrespectful ways violates the second commandment.
Are you under the law? (not grace)

As Christians, we should serve and speak of the Lord only with "reverence and godly fear" because His name is above all names.
Maintaining the religion of fear?
Does God have an anger management problem?

"Here comes God! Everyone RUN and hide!"

1708363520268.jpeg

/

Reactions: Lambano

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear O'Darby,

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Phil 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Lev 19:12 And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

When a person uses the name of the Lord in jokes, bumper stickers or any other disrespectful way (which are many), they are profaning His holy name and bringing His name down to the level of any other name. This should not be done; especially by those who claim to be His children.

Joe
I know you mean well, I see from your website that you are indeed very serious, and you are certainly entitled to your understanding of what it means to take God's name in vain. I respect your position, but my understanding is simply not yours.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you under the law? (not grace)

View attachment 41907

/
Dear St. SteVen, (I first thought you were O'Darby)
Being under grace does not make it okay to sin and disrespect the name of Jesus. His name should only be treated with reverence and respect.

You are applying the standards of this world (and the apostate church) to the name of Jesus and not the standards taught by God's Word.

You said:

The "religion of fear" is what the apostate churches of the this world teach (all approx. 2,000 different denominations/sects) - and this includes the Baptist denomination. With their doctrines of Free Will and Hell, they blaspheme the name of Christ to this world. Instead of following the true Gospel of Christ, they follow Satan's "another gospel".

2Cor 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The Christ that I know is loving & merciful to all and will not stop His work until the last person of mankind is saved in the final age.

This verse applies:

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: justice, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

When Christ judges mankind, He will not omit mercy and faith from His judgment. After He gives a person "faith", the pathway will be made straight for God's Grace (Christ) to come and freely give them the Holy Spirit & salvation. Justice will be served by the destruction (baptism of Fire) of who they used to be (carnal mankind). This entire spiritual process is called conversion and is what these two scriptures below are teaching:

Jer 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the HOLY SPIRIT, AND WITH FIRE:

When the last person of mankind has been saved in the final age, this scripture will be testified to be true:

1Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; 4 who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

This is the God I know & love and that is why I treat His name with the all the respect and reverence it deserves.

Joe

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear St. SteVen, (I first thought you were O'Darby)
Being under grace does not make it okay to sin and disrespect the name of Jesus. His name should only be treated with reverence and respect.

You are applying the standards of this world (and the apostate church) to the name of Jesus and not the standards taught by God's Word.
Not sure how you have arrived at these conclusions. Sounds like you are making a god out of your own doctrine.
Also displaying an attitude of tribalism toward the Body of Christ. Trashing some 2,000 denominations you take issue with.
And why? You personally disagree with their doctrine. So you stand in judgment over them. Calling them Apostate.

/

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you think that God has no sense of humor? The harmless story of the childish reply is not blasphemy.
Even Jesus himself would see the funny side of that.
Is “godly fear” a form of terror? Are we to fear God as we would some despotic tyrant?
This is not that kind of fear....
1 John 4:18.....
“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts fear out, because fear restrains us. Indeed, the one who is fearful has not been made perfect in love.”

The “fear of God” is not wanting the one we love to be displeased with us.....it is what prevents us from dishonouring him in serious ways....with malice or hatred in our hearts.

We only have to look at baby animals to know that God has a sense of humor. We are made in his image so we have a sense of humor too.....we just need to keep it within the parameters set by the Creator himself.
The name of the “LORD” here is “Yahweh” not Jesus. Read it in the Jewish Tanakh to see that the Tetragrammaton is there in the text.
Disrespecting God is not something any Christian wants to do deliberately, but drawing a line keeps us from condemning others in things that are without disrespect intended.
An innocent story about a childish reply could easily have come from a real life experience.....in that sense, it was funny.

Matt 12:31-32...
“For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.”

I think you need to lighten up a little.....no one was speaking against the son of God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dear O'Darby,

Joe
I don't think taking the Lord's name in vain is about jokes. I think it is more about misrepresenting God.
'God's name' so to speak is not jack, harry, sam, bill, yahweh or Elohim. God's name is his character.

Before a Hebrew child was given a 'name' they observed him/ her for a time to see what characteristics manifested and 'named' him/ her accordingly. The American Indians had a similar practice.

When the disciples tongues were given the ability to speak 'the wonderful things of God' in Acts 2, they spoke well of God's character as opposed to those who Paul was countering in his journeys.

Errant teaching dishonour the character (name) of God.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how you have arrived at these conclusions. Sounds like you are making a god out of your own doctrine.
Also displaying an attitude of tribalism toward the Body of Christ. Trashing some 2,000 denominations you take issue with.
And why? You personally disagree with their doctrine. So you stand in judgment over them. Calling them Apostate.

/
Dear St. SteVen,
The body of Christ was devoured by wolves shortly after Paul died. None of the sheep were spared:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. 31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Paul's knowledge of the coming apostasy of the church greatly distressed him. For three years, Paul warned the churches day and night (with tears) of what was about to befall them. It was not some far off event that would only occur near the literal end of this age as some believe. The apostasy was going to apply to most of them before they died. You should not take Paul's warning lightly.

Even Christ said this about the coming apostasy:

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Why do you believe that the church (or some of the church) was able to avoid the deceptions of Satan in light of what these scriptures above teach?

Christ also said this concerning new believers who only have the Early Rain of the Spirit:

Mat 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

Shortly after Christ plants His seed of the Holy Spirit (Early Rain) within a person, Satan will come to them and plant his seed within them, too. Satan's seed is the spirit of anti-Christ which will remain within the believer until the time of the harvest (when Elijah's 3 1/2 years of drought ends). At the time of the harvest, Christ will give the fallen away Elect believer the Latter Rain of the Spirit and heal their spiritual blindness. Now with "eyes that can see", the believer will see the Abomination of the Desolation (Mat 24:15-16) that had previously occurred within themselves (God's Temple). After they realize this truth, Christ's judgment will fall on them and remove the spirit of anti-Christ (Mat 24:40). The wheat (the child of God) will then be harvested into the barn (Kingdom of Heaven).

Christ also said this:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself SEVEN other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

The spiritual symbol of an unclean spirit represents a spirit which teaches Satan's false truth through lies and deceptions.

Since a new believer remains spiritually blind (Mark 8:21-25) after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit, they cannot replace their worldly false beliefs with the truth of Christ. ONE unclean spirit leaves but comes back with SEVEN more. The number "seven" represents perfection. In this case, the number seven represents the perfection of Satan's lies/deceptions which come to a believer by the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ. Now, instead of ONE unclean spirit within the believer, they now have EIGHT. The number eight is a spiritual symbol which represents a new spiritual condition. In this case, the new spiritual condition is worse than the first.

This "worse than the first" spiritual condition causes the believer to become a False Prophet, a Man of Sin, a Minister of Satan and a Seven Headed Beast with Ten Horns & Crowns.

The pathway to salvation for all the Elect goes through the apostate church. It cannot be avoided because Satan's deceptions are too powerful.

Consider the parable of the Ten Virgins. When a believer receives the Early Rain of the Spirit, they become espoused to Christ. While they wait for the Bridegroom to return for the wedding (conversion event), all ten virgins will fall asleep (lose their salvation) at night (time of their spiritual blindness). Then at midnight (deepest part of their blindness when Satan has fully deceived them), the call of Elijah will announce the return of the Bridegroom. Since the Elect (the Wise Virgins) have the extra flask of oil (represents the Latte Rain), they will be able to go out and meet Christ when He returns (His second coming).

Consider Paul's conversion experience. Paul received the Early Rain of the Spirit on the Damascus Road. It was at that time that Paul called Jesus "Lord" and became His servant. Paul's blindness represented his spiritual blindness when he had to be lead by the hand. Paul then spent three days (represents a spiritual process) in Damascus where he remained blind and could not eat or drink (bread & New Wine). In Damascus, Paul stayed at the house of a man named "Judas". This represents that Paul had become a man of sin just as Judas did. Then as Paul prayed (answered the call of Elijah), Ananias (represents Christ) travelled to Paul on a street named "straight". This represents that Paul's repentance made the pathway straight for Christ to come. When Christ came, Paul received the baptism of the Spirit (Latter Rain) and the scales fell off his eyes. It was only then that Paul was able to see and eat.

Consider the story of the woman taken in adultery. When the woman (represents the Elect, the bride of Christ) was brought to Christ, she had been committing adultery with Satan (represents the sin of Adam and Eve). Because of her sin, she was under the penalty of death as required by the Law. To restore the woman, Christ writes in the earth (represents the Early Rain when Christ first writes the Law in a person's heart). However, after Christ writes in the earth, the Pharisees still accuse the woman and do not drop their stones. Christ then writes in the earth a second time (represents the Latter Rain). This time, the Pharisees drop their stones because the Law can no longer accuse the woman. She is now converted and saved.

I could present additional teachings that all say the similar things (here a little and there a little). The time an Elect believer spends between receiving the Early Rain and the Latter Rain is always a time of falling away and becoming worse than the first (a man of sin). None of the Elect can avoid it.

Because all the Elect will fall away and become unfaithful (means they mix in their own works with faith), they will all become a man of sin They will remain in this lost condition until Christ "comes again" and pours out the Latter Rain. Only then will they see the A of D. If a believer can't look back and see this truth as it applies to themselves, then they are still under the deceptions of Satan and they remain unconverted and unsaved.

Joe

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that God has no sense of humor? The harmless story of the childish reply is not blasphemy.

Is “godly fear” a form of terror? Are we to fear God as we would some despotic tyrant?
“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts fear out, because fear restrains us. Indeed, the one who is fearful has not been made perfect in love.”

The “fear of God” is not wanting the one we love to be displeased with us.....it is what prevents us from dishonouring him in serious ways....with malice or hatred in our hearts.

We only have to look at baby animals to know that God has a sense of humor. We are made in his image so we have a sense of humor too.....we just need to keep it within the parameters set by the Creator himself.

The name of the “LORD” here is “Yahweh” not Jesus. Read it in the Jewish Tanakh to see that the Tetragrammaton is there in the text.

Disrespecting God is not something any Christian wants to do deliberately, but drawing a line keeps us from condemning others in things that are without disrespect intended.
An innocent story about a childish reply could easily have come from a real life experience.....in that sense, it was funny.

“For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. 32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.”

I think you need to lighten up a little.....no one was speaking against the son of God.
Dear Aunty Jane,
I stand by my comments. Christ is holy and righteous and should be given the highest respect when referring to Him. Using the name of Christ to make jokes/bumper stickers/T-shirts, etc. is profaning the name of Christ.
Joe

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think taking the Lord's name in vain is about jokes. I think it is more about misrepresenting God.
'God's name' so to speak is not jack, harry, sam, bill, yahweh or Elohim. God's name is his character.

Before a Hebrew child was given a 'name' they observed him/ her for a time to see what characteristics manifested and 'named' him/ her accordingly. The American Indians had a similar practice.

When the disciples tongues were given the ability to speak 'the wonderful things of God' in Acts 2, they spoke well of God's character as opposed to those who Paul was countering in his journeys.

Errant teaching dishonour the character (name) of God.
Dear quietthinker,
I stand by my comments. Christ's name should never be used carelessly or in a fashion as we do with the people of this world. Doing so is very disrespectful.

Can you show me from scripture where any of the Elect ever spoke of Christ in a joking or disrespectful way? They never did and neither should we.
Joe

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Humor is such a truly gigantic part of human life - a way to cope with the worst of life's challenges and trials, a way to defuse anger, a way to keep peace in the family - that I have to believe it is a VERY LARGE aspect of God's creative nature and a VERY LARGE part of His plan for His creation. The notion of a grim, stone-faced God scanning the globe for trivial reasons to be offended is utterly alien to my Christianity. I realize that FaithWillDo's position is not an uncommon one, but in my Christianity taking God's name in vain and profaning God's name are far more serious matters than a wry bumper sticker or funny little story. It kind of reminds me of all the Puritan rules and regulations that pretty much amounted to a new commandment: Thou Shalt Not Enjoy Life.