• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha Not so fast, from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks that comes naturally and that was a reference to you :) , you have to hear or read The Gospel to react to it, James 2:24 doesn't contradict other Scriptures and definitely doesn't say we are saved by Works, Its explaining if you are saved Works will Come Naturally which the Bible Clearly teaches That without Jesus we can do nothing, So if God works through the saved person they will have works Naturally But God gets the Glory, Its Good to Do good things but they don't Save you, they can be evidence one is saved because someone that is saved will have works, Naturally, but who is the fruit inspector?
Hi,

Thank you for your opinion. I present Scripture:

James 2:24 says a person is justified by works!! Sooooo I ask you HisLife: if a man is NOT justified, will they be saved?

Matthew 19 Jesus told a man what he must DO to have eternal life!

Romans 2 says that He will render to every man according to his works!

Galatians 6
says He who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.

Ephesians 2 says For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

That sounds like there is more to this justification thing than faith/grace alone. :rolleyes:

Bible Study Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right....it was granted to those who would receive the Holy Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39, Luke 11:9-13); either by asking or by being baptized in the name of Jesus.
WRONG.

When Jesus instructed the crowds - He instructed EVERYONE.
When He instructed His inner circle - He was instructing the leaders of His Church.

He spoke in parables to the crowds - He explained those parables to His inner circle.
Amen...
And the body of Christ consists of all those who believe in Jesus and what He did for them on the Cross...who are born again of the Holy Spirit.
WRONG again.

The Church consists of all those who listen to and accept the teachings of the Church.
Remember that Jesus told His inner circle that whoever listens to or rejects THEM listens to or rejects HIM and the FATHER (Luke 10:16).
The holy scriptures and the Spirit of truth who dwells within me.
For I have been promised through the holy scriptures that I have the Spirit of truth because I have met certain conditions (Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39, Luke 11:9-13).
The Spirit of truth is an unction from the holy one....by whom I know all things (1 John 2:20).
What about the guy across the street who is ALSO a Christian and believes differently than YOU?

What about the tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects that ALL teach different doctrines that YOU? Aren't THEY also led by the same Holy Spirit? Why are THEY all wrong - -yet YOU are right?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Came up with Romanism Glad you liked it You can call it the Roman Catholic Church but it's Rome's Church, Actually Baptists Go all the way back to John, And Jesus Command to go and baptize all nations Im not talking about Denominations Romanism is obsessed with Denominations Because they want to have a part in them But the real Church isn't a Denomination, I picked Constantine Because he Dramatically Changed Romanism, So the Romanism you follow was based on him, Paper Trail and Ignatius that's your authority? Why not the Bible, It says to Follow Paul as he Followed Christ, the first line in your Paper Trail sets out an impossible scenario....to follow your Bishop as obediently as Christ followed the Father...Come on that's impossible and completely disrespectful to Jesus

If you read your last Paragraph you make up Fairy tales you try and add to scripture, you come up with theories you cant back up with Scripture like you said

"He died once fore all here one earth in OUR time"

Sneaky trap to slip in a lie...If only you guys would be Honest And Straight Forward you may be able to come to the Knowledge of the Truth

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
That's just it - I DON'T call it "The ROMAN Catholic Church."

There's no such thing. It's The Catholic Church, of which I belong to the Roman/Latin Liturgical Rite. There are some TWENTY Liturgical Rites that comprise the ONE Catholic Church. There is the Melkite, Maronite, Byzantine, Coptic, Alexandrian, etc.
When anti-Catholics like YOU go around spewing nonsense about the "RCC" or Roman Catholic Church - it's almost comical - if not so tragically ignorant.

As for the "paper trail" I spoke of - it INCLUDES the Bible.

As for your LAST comment in RED - the fact that YOU have a problem with the words of Ignatius about following the Bishop speaks VOLUMES.
Jesus told the leaders of His Church:
Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

Paul also stated under in the inspiration of the Holy Spirit:
2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a letter from US."

So - congratulations for proving my point that those outside His Church WON'T follow His Authority . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is that supposed to mean?
The original tree of Christianity.

Actually - I'm not the one who came up with that comparison.
It is from a Protestant historian, Kenneth Samples.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good morning,

Sooooo anyone that disagrees with your doctrine (your truth) does not have the Spirit dwelling in them because they have not been promised the Spirit of truth like you have?

Why should we go to anyone else for guidance on Scripture if YOU have the Truth?

Curious Mary

The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth, if we have Him. We are constantly being transformed by the renewing of our minds; and therefore, if someone has a different opiniion than I do, it does not necesarily mean that they are devoid of the Holy Spirit.

James 2:24 says a person is justified by works!! Sooooo I ask you HisLife: if a man is NOT justified, will they be saved?

Being justified before man does not save anyone. What matters is being justified before God.

I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

That sounds like there is more to this justification thing than faith/grace alone. :rolleyes:

We are justified outwardly through what we do....what we do shows forth an inward reality that we have been born again.

But what we do on the outside does not save us...what saves us is the inward reality that is based on faith alone in Jesus Christ alone. We are born again of the Holy Spirit through faith. And good works will be the result; because you have been regenerated and renewed on the inside (through faith alone) and this makes you inclined towards a work of faith and a labour of love.

WRONG.

When Jesus instructed the crowds - He instructed EVERYONE.
When He instructed His inner circle - He was instructing the leaders of His Church.

He spoke in parables to the crowds - He explained those parables to His inner circle.

When it says that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth, it is obvious that He is speaking to those who will have the Holy Spirit. Will the Holy Spirit withhold the truth from anyone who has a relationship with Him?

Therefore if anyone has the Holy Spirit, He will guide them into all truth.

WRONG again.

The Church consists of all those who listen to and accept the teachings of the Church.
Remember that Jesus told His inner circle that whoever listens to or rejects THEM listens to or rejects HIM and the FATHER (Luke 10:16).

That appears to me to be redundant.

Also, the teachings of the Catholic Church do nor coincide with the teachings of the Church...for there are things written in holy scripture....penned by men of the church...that the Catholic Church denies....such as the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters; and the fact that He is the one mediator between God and men.

What about the guy across the street who is ALSO a Christian and believes differently than YOU?

What about the tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects that ALL teach different doctrines that YOU? Aren't THEY also led by the same Holy Spirit? Why are THEY all wrong - -yet YOU are right?

I answered this above but will repeat it here for you.

We are each of us being transformed by the renewing of our minds, who have the Holy Spirit...and therefore someone else who also has the Holy Spirit may have a different opinion than me....because perhaps one of us has not studied out the subject as extensively as the other; and therefore it may be that one of us has yet to come to the knowledge of the truth on that matter.

Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

It's funny because the first time I ever read that scripture in my Bible, I considered that it was written to me.

So, I take that to mean, that if you listen to me, you are listening to Jesus. If you reject me you reject Jesus. And if you reject Jesus you reject the Father who sent Him.

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a letter from US."

Case in point. The Catholic Church rejects those traditions which are handed down by letter in favour of those traditions which are handed down orally.

It is written,

Mat 15:1, Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,
Mat 15:2, Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
Mat 15:3, But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
Mat 15:4, For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
Mat 15:5, But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
Mat 15:6, And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Mat 15:7, Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Mat 15:8, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9, But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original tree of Christianity.

Actually - I'm not the one who came up with that comparison.
It is from a Protestant historian, Kenneth Samples.

Well it is dumb.

Anyway you said...

the Catholic Church goes all the way back to the Apostles

Do tell more details...

Which Apostles were calling themselves catholic?
Which Apostles were teaching or calling Christ believers Catholic?
Names of the cities that Apostles were calling "the Church" in that city Catholic?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm....1 Peter 3:20-21 in summary says eight persons were saved through water and baptism......now saves you! Soooooo it does say something about water and Scripture makes that clear MULTIPLE times and your own Christian History shows that they practiced water baptism to be saved. But I know I am wasting my time by quoting Scripture and referencing a 2,000 year practice of your ancestors. You accept a 500 year teaching so I digress!

:rolleyes:

* 8 souls were Forgiven.
1) 8 souls Saved...through "their" Belief in Gods Word,
2) "Their" Their Obedience to Gods Word
3) Gods Gift of Faith.

And BTW, their flesh was Saved Too...
1) 8 were "lifted up" above the Earth that was being Destroyed....because of Gods Wrath against the corrupt world and its inhabitants.

(How handy, since they became the remnant to repopulate the Earth.)

Nothing new under the sun...
A repeat is coming.

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That's just it - I DON'T call it "The ROMAN Catholic Church."

There's no such thing. It's The Catholic Church, of which I belong to the Roman/Latin Liturgical Rite. There are some TWENTY Liturgical Rites that comprise the ONE Catholic Church. There is the Melkite, Maronite, Byzantine, Coptic, Alexandrian, etc.
When anti-Catholics like YOU go around spewing nonsense about the "RCC" or Roman Catholic Church - it's almost comical - if not so tragically ignorant.

As for the "paper trail" I spoke of - it INCLUDES the Bible.

As for your LAST comment in RED - the fact that YOU have a problem with the words of Ignatius about following the Bishop speaks VOLUMES.

So - congratulations for proving my point that those outside His Church WON'T follow His Authority . . .

Let's call it Romanism, So you Belong to a Cult! Like I started with my first question was what do you consider a cult you just explained one even though you won't acknowledge the definition, I don't know Ignatius and I don't have to I pointed out a ridiculous comment you would have to be blind and ignorant to not see

Look you twist things around to your own agenda In Colossians 2:8 Paul warns about merely human traditions: “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” A human tradition is not to be kept if it is contrary to the Word of God.

Your right Christians won't follow the authority of anyone other than Jesus, Not Romanism not fake authority Not a false Church just there Shepard But If your not of his fold so you wouldn't understand And Follow others it's just how it works

John 10: 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it says that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth, it is obvious that He is speaking to those who will have the Holy Spirit. Will the Holy Spirit withhold the truth from anyone who has a relationship with Him?

Therefore if anyone has the Holy Spirit, He will guide them into all truth.
WRONG.

There are Protestant sects with doctrines that are as different as night and day. Are YOU trying to tell me that the Holy Spirit caused this confusion?

SOME
Protestants believe that God created some for Heaven - and the rest for Hell. Other Protestants find this teaching reprehensible.
SOME Protestant sects teach that we are born again in Baptism. Other Protestants find this teaching erroneous.
SOME Protestants believe in "Once Saved ALWAYS Saved". Other Protestants completely reject this teaching or have their own version of it.

What happened to "ALL Truth"?
That appears to me to be redundant.

Also, the teachings of the Catholic Church do nor coincide with the teachings of the Church...for there are things written in holy scripture....penned by men of the church...that the Catholic Church denies....such as the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters; and the fact that He is the one mediator between God and men.
WRONG.

There is nothing written in Scripture that the Catholic Church "denies". The Church simply denies YOUR relatively NEW interpretation of 2000 year-old truths. YOU and your ilk are the ones who rejected what was taught for 2000 years.
It's funny because the first time I ever read that scripture in my Bible, I considered that it was written to me.

So, I take that to mean, that if you listen to me, you are listening to Jesus. If you reject me you reject Jesus. And if you reject Jesus you reject the Father who sent Him.
And once again, the hermeneutical rule applies:
When Jesus was instructing the CROWDS - He was instructing ALL of us.
When He instructed His inner circle - He was giving instructions to the LEADERS of His Church.

That's why only 72 were sent out. Church historian Hippolytus lists them as the first Bishops of the Church.
That's why there were only 12 guests at the Last Supper - and NOT thousands.
Case in point. The Catholic Church rejects those traditions which are handed down by letter in favour of those traditions which are handed down orally.
And yet, hot a SINGLE ONE comes to mind . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it is dumb.
Like I said - it came from a PROTESTANT historian . . .
Anyway you said...

Do tell more details...

Which Apostles were calling themselves catholic?
Which Apostles were teaching or calling Christ believers Catholic?
Names of the cities that Apostles were calling "the Church" in that city Catholic?
This one ALSO came from a Protestant historian.

In fact - from one of the most respected Protestant historians, J.N.D. Kelly, in His Oxford Dictionary of Popes.
He lists ALL of the Catholic Popes going ALL the way back to Peter.

We first see the name of the Church being called "The Catholic Church" by 1st century Bishop, Ignatius of Antioch, who was a student of the Apostle John - and appointed to the Bishopric of Antioch by Peter.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's call it Romanism
No - let's not. I already told you - it's called, "The Catholic Church".

If you're unable to have an intelligent conversation - just say so . . .
So you Belong to a Cult! Like I started with my first question was what do you consider a cult you just explained one even though you won't acknowledge the definition, I don't know Ignatius and I don't have to I pointed out a ridiculous comment you would have to be blind and ignorant to not see

Look you twist things around to your own agenda In Colossians 2:8 Paul warns about merely human traditions: “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” A human tradition is not to be kept if it is contrary to the Word of God.

Your right Christians won't follow the authority of anyone other than Jesus, Not Romanism not fake authority Not a false Church just there Shepard But If your not of his fold so you wouldn't understand And Follow others it's just how it works
John 10: 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
The Authority of the Church IS the Authority if Christ - as HE granted it . . .

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, whatever YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

As for the Traditions of Christ's Church - take heed of what Scripture says . . .

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a letter from us."

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justbyfaith-

You are correct- it IS Faith alone.

Glory to God,
Taken

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Authority of the Church IS the Authority if Christ - as HE granted it . . .

When a Church is doing the Will of God, But We are Warned many times about False Teachers False Authority, Doctrines of Devils etc so you cant just throw lots of verses around without any context And then say see you have to Listen To Ceaser now...
You can't separate Christ from Christs Teachings It’s not that the apostles were given the privilege of changing God’s mind, as if whatever they decided on earth would be duplicated in heaven,but as they moved forward advancing Jesus Kingdom, they would be fulfilling God’s plan in heaven.
When the apostles “bound” something, or forbade it on earth, they were carrying out the will of God in the matter. When they “loosed” something, or allowed it on earth, they were likewise fulfilling God’s eternal plan.
The disciples will forgive just as Christ has forgiven. How has Christ forgiven? On the basis of His death and to be received by faith. How should the disciples forgive? On the basis of Christ's death and to be received by faith. So as the disciples declare Christ and His forgiveness in the power of the Spirit, the world's response to their message will be its response to Christ, You cant Use Verses Out of Context to try to usurp Jesus Authority
The Churchs Authority Is to preach The Gospel And Advance Gods Kingdom On Earth as Peter Did, But we are left with a Warning If anyone Preach any other Gospel they are Accursed and we are to have nothing to do with them

So To test the Spirit To See whether it is Of God Lets see if you Can answer One question Plainly What is the Gospel according to you?

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said - it came from a PROTESTANT historian . . .

This one ALSO came from a Protestant historian.

In fact - from one of the most respected Protestant historians, J.N.D. Kelly, in His Oxford Dictionary of Popes.
He lists ALL of the Catholic Popes going ALL the way back to Peter.

We first see the name of the Church being called "The Catholic Church" by 1st century Bishop, Ignatius of Antioch, who was a student of the Apostle John - and appointed to the Bishopric of Antioch by Peter.

Ok so, the Catholic Church had nothing to do with the Apostles...

So why associate the Apostals with the Catholic Church, when they themselves didn't?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

There are Protestant sects with doctrines that are as different as night and day. Are YOU trying to tell me that the Holy Spirit caused this confusion?

I would say that not every sect in Protestantism is led by the Holy Spirit in believing what they believe; just as the Catholic Church is no longer led by the Holy Spirit to believe what it believes.

SOME Protestants believe that God created some for Heaven - and the rest for Hell. Other Protestants find this teaching reprehensible.
SOME Protestant sects teach that we are born again in Baptism. Other Protestants find this teaching erroneous.
SOME Protestants believe in "Once Saved ALWAYS Saved". Other Protestants completely reject this teaching or have their own version of it.

What happened to "ALL Truth"?

As I explained in a post above, even those who have the Holy Ghost are being transformed by the renewing of their minds. And therefore, one Protestant believer may believe one thing that is erroneous while another believes the truth on the matter. But if the Spirit of truth is in them, they will come to the knowledge of the truth eventually by continued study of the word of God (2 Timothy 2:15).

Clearly, if someone has the Holy Spirit, then the promise that the Holy Spirit will guide them into all truth applies...

For why would the Holy Spirit dwell in a person's heart and yet not operate in His vocation of guiding that person into all truth?

WRONG.

There is nothing written in Scripture that the Catholic Church "denies". The Church simply denies YOUR relatively NEW interpretation of 2000 year-old truths. YOU and your ilk are the ones who rejected what was taught for 2000 years.

I tend to disagree with you there. For there is one God; even one mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5).

Also, it is a relatively new teaching within the Catholic Church that Mary is co-mediatrix and co-redeemer; and these beliefs are erroneous according to holy scripture.

And once again, the hermeneutical rule applies:
When Jesus was instructing the CROWDS - He was instructing ALL of us.
When He instructed His inner circle - He was giving instructions to the LEADERS of His Church.

That's why only 72 were sent out. Church historian Hippolytus lists them as the first Bishops of the Church.
That's why there were only 12 guests at the Last Supper - and NOT thousands.

There is another hermeneutical rule given to us in the word itself...

That wherever there is a promise given in the Bible, the person reading it can obtain that promise by faith (Hebrews 11:33, 2 Peter 1:3-4, 2 Corinthians 1:20, Romans 4:20-22)

And yet, hot a SINGLE ONE comes to mind .

There is one God; even one mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5).

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so, the Catholic Church had nothing to do with the Apostles...

So why associate the Apostals with the Catholic Church, when they themselves didn't?
Not true at ALL.

First of all - the Church isn't given a name in the NT. That developed over time. As I showed you - by the end of the 1st century - it was known as "The Catholic Church."
It was in John's disciple' (Ignatius's) Letter to the Smyrnaeans that we read this. That's the oldest example we have - but that doesn't mean that it was the FIRST use of the title.

The way it is used in his letter implies that it is already a well-known title for the Church.

Reactions: Philip James

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true at ALL.

First of all - the Church isn't given a name in the NT. That developed over time. As I showed you - by the end of the 1st century - it was known as "The Catholic Church."
It was in John's disciple' (Ignatius's) Letter to the Smyrnaeans that we read this. That's the oldest example we have - but that doesn't mean that it was the FIRST use of the title.

The way it is used in his letter implies that it is already a well-known title for the Church.

Christs Church has a Name.
The locations were by the Names of the cities.

Acts 20:
[28] Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
1Cor.1
[2] Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
1Cor.10
[32] Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
1Cor.11
[22] What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
1Cor.15
[9] For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
2Cor.1
[1] Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of Godwhich is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
Gal.1
[13] For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
1Tim.3
[5] (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Glory to God,
Taken

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true at ALL.

I believe that Ignatius, when he said, "Catholic", meant Universal.

The term did not carry the same meaning as it does today....for today it represents a denomination that is cult-like in that it claims to be the true church and the source of everything Christian.