Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! You must be feeling militant today... View attachment 39067

The difference is... the Holy Spirit leads Christians to honor parents, to not take the LORD's name in vain, and to not bare false witness as these commandments can be found in the New Testament.

Curiously though... keeping Saturday sabbath can NOT be found as a command in the New Testament. It's the only command out of the original 10 commandments cannot cannot be found in the New Testament as a commandments.

Galatians 4:9-11
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain

Anyone who goes back under the law after being saved, has fallen from saving grace (Galatians 5:4). The book of Galatians could not be a more severe warning. Paul says he wishes these diabolical Judaizers were “cut off” (Galatians 5:12).

Doubling down is easier than actually responding to the challenge, I guess.

Under the law that prohibits murder, lying, theft, adultery. What does "under the law" mean, btw?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you really don't. Unless your ignoring this:

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

It's the Lord working thru me... I rest in Him, He does the work because without Him I can do nothing.

He is the One producing the fruit, it's not me working to earn His blessing by observing Saturday sabbath.

Reactions: ScottA

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The challenge to now live under the New Covenant?

No thank you.
It's the Lord working thru me... I rest in Him, He does the work because without Him I can do nothing.

He is the One producing the fruit, it's not me working to earn His blessing by observing Saturday sabbath.

Well since we've descended into utter confusion, denial, and dishonesty, I'm out for now.

Reactions: Wick Stick

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well since we've descended into utter confusion, denial, and dishonesty, I'm out for now.

The only dishonesty going on here is from those refusing to live under the New Covenant where Jesus is the High Priest where we live under the law of Christ.

It's the Saturday sabbath peoples that are confused. clueless-scratching.gif

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree - this topic got weird. We have representatives of both extremes shouting at each other, and any attempt at articulating something like a normal/middle view is just getting lost.

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or not.

As you remain smug, I choose "not." Except for this one reminder: Certainly you know the story of the faithful servant and the evil servant.

I apologize, but surely you can't be unaware that your stuff often has an ivory tower ring to it, Scott.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree - this topic got weird. We have representatives of both extremes shouting at each other, and any attempt at articulating something like a normal/middle view is just getting lost.

I confess my patience with childish expressions of objection is wearing thin.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense!

The Lord blesses ALL of my days because I spend each day abiding in Him... NOT trying to keep the law of Moses! View attachment 39050
The Sabbath isn't the law of Moses.

And Immanuel-Jesus cited the 9 commands in his ministry,being he is God who gave them to Moshe-Moses, and then Immanuel-Jesus told his congregation,if you love me keep my commands

We are told to use righteous discretion when we judge another. No need to repeat those facts again and again to you who ignores them because they mean nothing to you.

I share those facts for those who respect God and his word.
Oh...but you have left sooo much out--come so short!

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
No,I've not left anything out.

• Love

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the Sabbath was made for us. Immanuel-Jesus did not invalidate that. Nor was there anything about the Sabbath to be fulfilled, since the Sabbath was to be remembered in the list of Moral commands, rather than being established there.

The Sunday practice is a pagan day of worship. Not the holy day God made for us.

On the contrary, by preaching the sabbath practice rather than the keeping of the Sabbath that was fulfilled in Christ 2000 years ago--"those who were entering in you hindered."

Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.”​

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Immanuel-Jesus told his congregation,if you love me keep my commands

And WHERE exactly did Jesus command anybody to keep Saturday sabbath???

You guys need to quit reading the Book of Speculations... it's NOT part of God's canon!

We are told to use righteous discretion when we judge another.

It's the Saturday sabbath people that claim one goes to hell for not keeping Saturday sabbath... even though they cannot prove this from any New Testament scripture.

• Haha

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath isn't the law of Moses.

And Immanuel-Jesus cited the 9 commands in his ministry,being he is God who gave them to Moshe-Moses, and then Immanuel-Jesus told his congregation,if you love me keep my commands

We are told to use righteous discretion when we judge another. No need to repeat those facts again and again to you who ignores them because they mean nothing to you.

I share those facts for those who respect God and his word.

Actually, Jesus didn't cite the 3rd commandment, either, but nobody cares about that.

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, by preaching the sabbath practice rather than the keeping of the Sabbath that was fulfilled in Christ 2000 years ago--"those who were entering in you hindered."

Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.”​
Actually, you remain defiant to God's actual textual instruction regarding the Sabbath.

You wrongly insist Immanuel-Jesus abolished his commands when he fully filled them. Which actually means Immanuel-Jesus kept them perfectly.

God gave us the Sabbath. He did not die,in the form of Immanuel-Jesus to take it back.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 Commandments in the New Testament

NO ONE/NOTHING BEFORE GOD

1st Commandment OT: "I am the LORD thy God, Which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." (Ex 20:2,3)

1st Commandment NT: " . . . Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. " (Matt 4:10/Luke 4:8)

Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might (all physical possessions in this natural world, your body, your money, your stuff, etc)....you shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:37, 39)

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Mt 6:24)

IDOLATRY

2nd Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fouth generation of them that hate Me; And shewing mercy unto thousands who love Me, and keep my commandments." (Ex 20:4-6)

2nd Commandment NT: "But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols . . . "(Acts15:20)

"Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" (Acts 17:29,30)

" . . . I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1Cor 5:11)

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1Cor 6:9,10)

"Neither be ye idolaters." (1Cor 10:7)

"Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry." (1Cor 10:14)

"Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led." (1Cor 12:2)

"And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols?" (2Cor 6:16)

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Gal 5:19-21)

"For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God." (Eph 5:5) [This verse and the next both show the connection between covetousness and idolatry - when you covet something, it becomes your idol, and therefore your god (breaking the 1st commandment also)]

"Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry." (Col 3:5)

" . . . how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God." (1Thes 1:9)

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols." (1Jn 5:21)

"And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk." (Rev 9:20)

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Rev 21:8)

"For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." (Rev 22:15)

VAIN USE OF LORD'S NAME

3rd Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain." (Ex 20:7)

3rd Commandment NT: "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name." (Mt 6:9/Lk 11:2)

"I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." (Mt 12:36)

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." (Mt 15:8,9)

"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." (Mt 23:9)

" . . . that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed." (1Tim 6:1)

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued...

SABBATH

Jesus was raised from the dead on Sunday which is Pentecost (Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, John 20:1)

We see in Acts chapter 2 that the first church service was on Sunday (the day of Pentecost they were all with one accord in one place and received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost). And, the first public evangelism meeting was also held on Sunday out in the street after the Holy Ghost was poured out in the upper room (Acts 2:14-36)

Acts 20:7
The first day of the week, the Apostles came together to break bread

1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him

Colossians 2:16,17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Why follow the shadow of things that were to come after Jesus has arrived where we can join Him in The feast of First Fruits? Let no man therefore judge you concerning not observing Saturday sabbath seeing it's not a requirement given in the New Testament for salvation!

The Lord instructed the Israelites, “You shall count seven weeks for yourself; begin to count the seven weeks from the time you begin to put the sickle to the grain” (Deuteronomy 16:9). The word Pentecost means fifty, and it comes fifty days from the feast of First Fruits (Leviticus 23:10–11, 15–17). The feast of First Fruits was to occur on the day after the Sabbath (verse 11), which was always the Sunday of Passover week.

Pentecost, then, was the day after the seventh following Sabbath (verses 15–16), which would be the fiftieth day after First Fruits and also falls on a Sunday. Jesus died on the Friday of Passover week and had to be buried hastily before sunset, which was when the Sabbath began. His body remained in the sepulcher throughout the Sabbath day, but on that Sunday morning, when the priest was to offer the First Fruits offering in the Temple, Christ arose from the dead as the first fruits of them that slept (I Corinthians 15:20).

For forty days, Jesus appeared to His disciples and then ascended into Heaven. Ten days later, the Sunday of the Feast of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit descended upon the believers in Jerusalem. The only biblical reference to the events of Pentecost is Acts 2:1-3. At Pentecost, the disciples witnessed the birth of the New Testament church in the coming of the Holy Spirit. The evidence shows that the First Fruits and Pentecost were always intended to fall on Sundays, without regard to the day of the month they occurred.

As for the New Testament record, it is clear that Jesus arose from the dead on Sunday, the First Day of the Week, the day after the Sabbath, as the fulfillment of the feast of First Fruits. These dates were the literal fulfillment of the Old Testament feasts verifying the powerful meaning of the death and resurrection of Christ.

Jesus is the first fruits, or first born among many brethren Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. God's Word teaches the old covenant has been done away with because we now have a NEW covenant Hebrews 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

God's Word teaches that Christians are NOT following Moses as their high priest because now we have a NEW High Priest Who is Jesus Christ? Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. God did away with the old covenant where Moses was the high priest and made a new Covenant where Jesus Christ is the High Priest and since the priesthood has been changed, there has been a change of the law from the law of Moses to the Law of Christ..

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. Those who try to keep the law of Moses are responsible for keeping ALL of the law of Moses and if they don’t keep all of the law, they are guilty of failing to keep the law. Christians are NOT called to keep the law of Moses... we are under the law of Christ now. (see - Galatians 6:2, 1 Corinthians 9:21, James 2:12, James 1:25, Romans 8:2, 2 Peter 1:4-10) James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

HONOR PARENTS

5th Commandment OT: "Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." (Ex 20:12)

5th Commandment NT: " . . . Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (Mt15:3,4/Mk 7:10)

"Honour thy father and thy mother . . . " (Mt 19:19/Mk 10:19/Lk18:20)

"Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." (Rom 1:29-32)

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth." (Eph 6:1-3)

"Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord." (Col 3:20)

"But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God." (1Tim 5:4)

MURDER

6th Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not kill (murder)." (Ex 20:13)

6th Commandment NT: "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment." (Mt 5:21,22 - see 1Jn 2:9) [Jesus says unjustified anger is equal to murder]

" . . . Do not kill . . ." (Mk 10:19)

" . . .Thou shalt not kill . . ." (Rom 13:9)

"For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law." (James 2:11)

"But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters." (1Pet 4:15)

"We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." (1Jn 3:14,15)

Last edited: