Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
continued...
ADULTERY

7th Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not commit adultery" (Ex 20:14)

7th Commandment NT: "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Mt 5:27,28) [Lustful fantasies are equal to adultery]

"I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." (Mt 5:32)

"Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery . . ." (Mt 19:18/Mk 10:19/Lk 18:20)

"Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery." (Mk 10:11,12)

"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Lk 16:18 )

". . . this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. . . . Jesus said unto her, . . . go, and sin no more. (Jn 8:4-11)

"So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress" (Rom 7:3)

". . . Thou shalt not commit adultery . . ." (Rom 13:9)

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1Cor 6:9,10)

"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body." (1Cor 6:18)

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Gal 5:19-21)

"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication" (1 Thes 4:3)

"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." (Heb 13:4)

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." (Jude 1:7)

"And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds." (Rev 2:21,22)

THEFT

8th Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not steal." (Ex 20:15)

8th Commandment NT: "Thou shalt not steal . . " (Mt 19:18/Rom 13:9)

"Do not steal . . . " (Mk 10:19/Lk 18:20)

" . . . thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1Cor 6:10)

"Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth." (Eph 4:28)

"But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters." (1Pet 4:15)

"Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts." (Rev 9:21)

LYING

9th Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor." (Ex 20:16)

9th Commandment NT: " . . . every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." (Mt 12:36,37)

"For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man." (Mt 15:19,20)

" . . . Thou shalt not bear false witness . . ." (Mt 19:18/Rom 13:9)

" . . .Do not bear false witness . . . " (Mk10:19/Lk 18:20)

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." (John 8:44)

"But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty . . . " (2Co 4:2)

"Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour." (Eph 4:25)

"Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds" (Col 3:9)

"Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things." (1Tim 3:11)

" . . . speak evil of no man" (Titus 3:2)

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Rev 21:8)

"For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie." (Rev 22:15)

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued...

COVETOUSNESS/LUST

10th Commandment OT: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour's." (Ex 20:17)

10th Commandment NT: "And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." (Lk 12:15)

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet." (Rom 7:7)

" . . . Thou shalt not covet . . . " (Rom 13:9)

"But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;" (Eph 5:3)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." (1Tim 6:10)

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." (Heb 13:5)

Mt 22:37-40 states "Jesus said . . . , Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." (See also Luke 10:25-28). False teachers use these scriptures to say that the Ten Commandments are no longer required to be kept - that the only commandments are to love God and fellow man. Jesus clearly stated that "all the law" HANGS from these two commandments, meaning they are a source of all of His law. If you keep the Ten Commandments, you are keeping the Two Great Commandments.

The Two Great Commandments summarize the Ten Commandments. The first five commandments deal with the "LORD thy God" and the second five with "thou" and "thy neighbour" - "For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery (7th), Thou shalt not kill (6th), Thou shalt not steal (8th), Thou shalt not bear false witness (9th), Thou shalt not covet (10th); and if there be any other commandment (concerning neighbors), it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Rom 13:9).

If we love God with all our heart, and mind, and being, we certainly would not want to place other gods before Him (ANYTHING we put before Him, becomes our god). We would not worship idols (this would break the first commandment also). Nor would we vainly use His name. Israel did this by placing His name on their idols and pagan customs they observed (Is 29:13; 42:8; Ezek 20:39), just as modern professing "Christians" place the name of Christ on their idols and pagan customs (man's holidays). Those who love God should observe His Sabbath, for it is the day HE set aside to spend with us to further our loving relationship with Him. It is the sign He gave that shows Him to be the True God - the Creator (Gen 2:3; Ex 20:11; 31:17). And if we really love Him, we would also honor him as our heavenly Father by obeying all of His commands (Col 3:20). If we would do these things He asks of us, we would show our love for Him.

And if we love our neighbours, would we be murdering them, breaking marriage vows through adultery, stealing from them, lying to them or spreading lies about them, or coveting anything of theirs (which could lead to all of the previous things listed)? Of course not! The apostle John stated in I Jn 5:2,3, "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

The origin of God's law is LOVE. He has set the guidelines for love in His commandments. They set the path for us to walk in love for God and fellow man. "He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love." (I Jn4:8). His love is the source of His covenant with us (Jn 3:16). He is seeking those who will love Him in return. As stated above, we show Him love by obeying His voice.

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them" (Heb 10:16). Far from abolishing the law, God said He would write His Laws in our hearts and minds. "My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart." (Prov 7:1-3, see also Prov 3:1-3)

Man was hardhearted and stiffnecked to God's law: "And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great . . . and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." (Gen 6:5) Even when He set forth His Law at Sinai, He knew man's heart was against Him: "O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!" (Deut 5:29). God had to create in us a new heart and give us His spirit so we could overcome our evil ways and walk in His ways. "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." (Ezek 36:26; read also Ezek 11:19). God had to remove our stony hard heart that would not accept His Law (read Rom 8:7). With the new heart He puts in us we may say in truth, "I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." (Ps 40:8).

The Law was codified by God in tablets of stone on the day of Pentecost (Ex 19) at Mt Sinai. The spirit of God was sent on Pentecost (Acts 2) to write His law in the tablets of our hearts (2Co 3:3). And with the gift of the holy spirit, we can overcome sin (lawbreaking) and walk in His law.. and in the New Testament this is referred to as the Law of Christ, aka the law of liberty, aka the doctrine of Chris, aka doctrine of the apostles.
(See 1 Corinthians 9:21, Galatians 6:2, James 2:12, James 1:25, 2 John 1:9, Hebrews 6:1, Acts 2:42)

As we have clearly seen, the Ten Commandments were kept by Christ, His apostles, His disciples, their disciples - both Jew and Gentile, and that they are to be kept by Christians TODAY. We all must be overcoming our sinful (lawless) ways (Rev 2:7,11,17,26; 3:5,12,21; 21:7). REPENT, turn to God & keep His commandments that He may heal you and you may have eternal life in His Kingdom.

NOTE: “keep His commandments” is not referring to the Levitical Law of the Old Testament, but is rather referring to walking with God in His ways, walking in agreement with Him, walking in the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus instead of living after the flesh and the carnal minded ways of mankind which is in opposition to God.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, you remain defiant to God's actual textual instruction regarding the Sabbath.

You wrongly insist Immanuel-Jesus abolished his commands when he fully filled them. Which actually means Immanuel-Jesus kept them perfectly.

God gave us the Sabbath. He did not die,in the form of Immanuel-Jesus to take it back.

Apparently we are not communicating.

To continue running a race after the finish line, is to deny that the finish line is the end. Jesus is the end.

Therefore, we to whom Jesus has come and we to Him, we stop running (stop practicing religious repetitious acts), but enter into His rest.

Why do you keep running, is it because you have not yet come to the End, therefore you do not yet rest?

But, no, I am not "defiant" to the text, but obedient to the Spirit.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To continue running a race after the finish line, is to deny that the finish line is the end. Jesus is the end.

Therefore, we to whom Jesus has come and we to Him, we stop running (stop practicing religious repetitious acts), but enter in to His rest.

Why do you keep running, is it because you have not yet come to the End, therefore you do not yet rest?

Exactly. We are no longer following the shadow of things to come... because Jesus has come!

Our rest is abiding in Him and being led by the Holy Ghost to keep the Law of Christ (aka the Law of Liberty)

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. We are no longer following the shadow of things to come... because Jesus has come!

Our rest is abiding in Him and being led by the Holy Ghost to keep the Law of Christ (aka the Law of Liberty)

Indeed, and yet many apparently do not understand that the commandment to "keep" the Sabbath--is to keep Christ once He comes into them rather than rejecting Him.

This is one of those "which is greater?" comparisons Jesus made. In this case, it should be understood that keeping the Lord of the Sabbath is greater than keeping the practice routine.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Aunty!

Well, we've been down this road before and there are no new arguments. I can't help but wonder, though, if the Jerusalem Council wouldn't have insisted on abstention from murder and theft as being considered "necessary things" which, coincidentally, come from the same list that contains that pesky Sabbath commandment that everybody objects to and, strangely enough, mentions nothing about circumcision.
Since I believe that the Jerusalem Council was addressing the problem of Gentiles coming under God's law to Israel, the issues discussed there would only include those things under God's law that were not ordinarily in man's laws.

Under all cultures murder, and theft are already illegal. It was the things that Gentiles might have been accepting all their lives, that under God's law needed to be addressed....idolatry, the eating of blood, and of strangled unbled animals may have been common among them, as was sexual immorality. The Jewish Christians had been raised with God's laws and so the "necessary things" would have pertained mostly to Gentiles who came to Christ as one with their Jewish brothers. One law applied to all...that which Christ taught under a new covenant.
People are free to do what they want but I'm not free to keep still and let them do so ignorantly.
I couldn't agree more....that is why posting on forums like this gives people information to chew over for themselves, and then make their own decisions about many things. Yet ignorance is bliss to many others.....we reap what we sow....and we get out of life and our relationship with God, what we put into it.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently we are not communicating.

Therefore, we to whom Jesus has come and we to Him, we stop running (stop practicing religious repetitious acts), but enter into His rest.

But, no, I am not "defiant" to the text, but obedient to the Spirit.
Ah,well, I finish the race when I'm dead.
I'll leave to that spirit.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah,well, I finish the race when I'm dead.
I'll leave to that spirit.

We have been referring to the first resurrection, or as Paul put it "we who are alive and remain" (in the world and in the flesh, in service, after entering into Christ and Him in us). Death first is certainly an option.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look in the future in Isaiah 56: 1 Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.

4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 5 even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; 7 even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since I believe that the Jerusalem Council was addressing the problem of Gentiles coming under God's law to Israel, the issues discussed there would only include those things under God's law that were not ordinarily in man's laws.

Under all cultures murder, and theft are already illegal. It was the things that Gentiles might have been accepting all their lives, that under God's law needed to be addressed....idolatry, the eating of blood, and of strangled unbled animals may have been common among them, as was sexual immorality. The Jewish Christians had been raised with God's laws and so the "necessary things" would have pertained mostly to Gentiles who came to Christ as one with their Jewish brothers. One law applied to all...that which Christ taught under a new covenant.

A thoughtful response, Aunty, and well to be commended, especially considering some of the drivel we've been flooded with lately here on CyB.

But I'd differ slightly in that I see the problem being addressed was, more specifically, the demands being placed on the Gentile converts by Jewish Christian ecclesiastics who didn't quite seem to "get" the meaning of the Gospel yet.

And I concede that I could have chosen some better words in my response to you.

"Necessary things," in this context should probably be limited to things that are beneficial from the law of Moses apart from the ten commandments.

But one problem with that limitation would be the crossover between "necessary things" like abstaining from sexual immorality and the 7th commandment. And abstaining from things strangled and possibly the 6th, as I'm fairly confident you'd agree.

And that still leaves us dancing around the fact that no one objects to anything in the Bible that supports any one of the ten commandments...

Except for the 4th one.

It has become the red-headed stepchild of the so-called "law of Moses."

Most Christians have no problem borrowing from ceremonial and civil law if it supports their religio-political leanings.

But folks who uphold and defend the 4th commandment as it reads are called everything in the book—not the least of which being "legalist."

And all of this is justified with the flimsiest of evidence from Scripture in comparison to the spectacle of Sinai. Only Calvary itself, where justice and mercy kissed, compares, as would be appropriate.

Of course, you know I don't lump you in with all the offenses that this little rant implies. :)

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, and yet many apparently do not understand that the commandment to "keep" the Sabbath--is to keep Christ once He comes into them rather than rejecting Him.

This is one of those "which is greater?" comparisons Jesus made. In this case, it should be understood that keeping the Lord of the Sabbath is greater than keeping the practice routine.
Except the command to remember God's Sabbath gift was given n the Old Testament . This was prior to Immanuel-Jesus ' sacrifice in the New.
Immanuel-Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. Meaning , God who gifted it.

It isn't a matter of remembering Immanuel-Jesus, for Christians. He indwells us with His Holy Spirit.

Remembering the Sabbath is remembering we have an eternal rest in Christ. And God insured one day set aside in the worldly week to rest there and away from what barters for our attentions,and tests us daily,in this world where our adversary is lord.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except the command to remember God's Sabbath gift was given n the Old Testament . This was prior to Immanuel-Jesus ' sacrifice in the New.

It isn't a matter of remembering Immanuel-Jesus, for Christians. He indwells us with His Holy Spirit.

Remembering the Sabbath is remembering we have an eternal rest in Christ. And God insured one day set aside in the worldly week to rest there and away from what barters for our attentions,and tests us daily,in this world where our adversary is lord.

Respectfully, is there some significance to the term "Immanuel-Jesus" for you?

Google is giving me nothing on that. :)

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Respectfully, is there some significance to the term "Immanuel-Jesus" for you?

Google is giving me nothing on that. :)

It's personal,yes. Jesus was called Immanuel in the passage regarding his pending birth.
Immanuel means,God with us.
That is a reminder of the NT passage telling us about The Word made flesh who dwelt among us.

Therein Immanuel-Jesus,for me, is that observation that Jesus is the Father dwelling among and within his creation.

Thank you for asking. :)

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's personal,yes. Jesus was called Immanuel in the passage regarding his pending birth.
Immanuel means,God with us.
That is a reminder of the NT passage telling us about The Word made flesh who dwelt among us.

Therein Immanuel-Jesus,for me, is that observation that Jesus is the Father dwelling among and within his creation.

Thank you for asking. :)

Very kind of you to respond so cheerfully.

Did you come to that conclusion on your own from personal Bible study?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Remembering" is not the commandment, but simply a reminder to "keep" the Sabbath...which is the actual commandment. "Remember to keep" it. "Keep" being the operative word.

Thus, you are under the wrong impression regarding the Sabbath.

Are there worldly benefits to having a day of rest every week? Yes, of course. But the things of this world are not the main focus of what God has been about doing in the world. The main focus is rather the kingdom of God. So, unless you only want or care about the consolation prize that comes with the repetitive schooling that God has been drilling into His message for all of history--you should be asking why: If the kingdom of God is not of this world--what is this Sabbath repetition all about; and if the world was created and finished in 6 days--does the Sabbath rest of God (the 7th day) revealed from the beginning of creation even actually have anything to do with the world?

The answer is--No, it doesn't--not since the beginning.

And you need to reexamine it.

Last edited:

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Remembering" is not the commandment, but simply a reminder to "keep" the Sabbath...which is the actual commandment. "Remember to keep" it. "Keep" being the operative word.

Thus, you are under the wrong impression regarding the Sabbath.

Are there worldly benefits to having a day of rest every week? Yes, of course. But the things of this world are not the main focus of what God has been about doing in the world. The main focus is rather the kingdom of God. So, unless you only want or care about the consolation prize that comes with the repetitive schooling that God has been drilling into His message for all of history--you should be asking why: If the kingdom of God is not of this world--what is this Sabbath repetition all about; and if the world was created and finished in 6 days--does the Sabbath rest of God revealed from the beginning of creation even actually have anything to do with the world?

The answer is--No, it doesn't--not since the beginning.

And you need to reexamine it.
Have a happy new year. :)

Reactions: ScottA

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A thoughtful response, Aunty, and well to be commended, especially considering some of the drivel we've been flooded with lately here on CyB.

But I'd differ slightly in that I see the problem being addressed was, more specifically, the demands being placed on the Gentile converts by Jewish Christian ecclesiastics who didn't quite seem to "get" the meaning of the Gospel yet.
I agree here...the response was definitely to tone down the Jewish expectation of their Gentile brothers in applying God's law.
Jesus said there were just two laws that applied to those who would come under the new covenant....(Matt 22:35-40)
"Necessary things," in this context should probably be limited to things that are beneficial from the law of Moses apart from the ten commandments.

But one problem with that limitation would be the crossover between "necessary things" like abstaining from sexual immorality and the 7th commandment. And abstaining from things strangled and possibly the 6th, as I'm fairly confident you'd agree.

And that still leaves us dancing around the fact that no one objects to anything in the Bible that supports any one of the ten commandments...

Except for the 4th one.

It has become the red-headed stepchild of the so-called "law of Moses."
Good word picture created there Barney.....its true that some want to wrestle with this one...but why? If it was in God's perfect law and some want to continue the practice of keeping one day a week for rest and spiritual activities, who can condemn them?
And I see the apostle Paul addressing this very thing in his letter to the Colossians....
Col 2:13-15....
"Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake. 15 He has stripped the governments and the authorities bare and has publicly exhibited them as conquered, leading them in a triumphal procession by means of it.

16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. 17 Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ."

I see this as working both ways......the Jewish Christians were not to judge those who saw things a little differently because they came later. If they were still trying to do the will of God in their hearts....it was wrong to tell people that they shouldn't do what God's law had told them to do all their lives, because those things in themselves were not a violation of God's law at all.....it was just practices that under the old covenant were replaced by the new...and for Gentiles, the new covenant was all they were given. For Jews it was more difficult. No one was then 'under law' to practice the things of the law, but they could continue if they wanted to....its just that they were not obligated to do so according to a law that no longer existed.
Most Christians have no problem borrowing from ceremonial and civil law if it supports their religio-political leanings.

But folks who uphold and defend the 4th commandment as it reads are called everything in the book—not the least of which being "legalist."

And all of this is justified with the flimsiest of evidence from Scripture in comparison to the spectacle of Sinai. Only Calvary itself, where justice and mercy kissed, compares, as would be appropriate.
I understand what you mean...but there are "types and shadows" that the Bible speaks about and these are a reflection of heavenly realities...
These would include the Temple with its priesthood and High Priest as well as many of the things that Jews upheld in their worship, including the new moon as well as the Sabbath, as Paul stated in Colossians 2:16, 17. I don't understand why people need to press these points so vehemently. In the big scheme of things....just because something is not important to us doesn't mean that its not important to others...to each his own and by our own choices we will stand or fall.....we will all stand before the same judge, and Jesus will let us all know soon enough if we have passed muster from his standpoint....and his is the only one that matters.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said there were just two laws that applied to those who would come under the new covenant....(Matt 22:35-40)
Your reply is so graciously stated that I hate to differ, but I see nothing within the text you cite restricting new covenant law to two simple commands. It asks and answers the question as to which are the greatest commandments, to which Christ replies with two we all know so well.

Alas and unfortunately, this isolated episode is continually held up to effectively nullify His remarks in the Sermon On The Mount that read:

Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

He doesn't say what "being called least in the kingdom of heaven" means, but it doesn't sound like something I'd care to try.

These would include the Temple with its priesthood and High Priest as well as many of the things that Jews upheld in their worship, including the new moon as well as the Sabbath, as Paul stated in Colossians 2:16, 17.

But you're including the 4th commandment in a group to which it does not belong. If you look at Leviticus 23:38, it's clear (especially in translation comparisons and in the Hebrew) that God makes a distinction between the feast sabbaths and the weekly Sabbath, and that's because it is part of His eternal law.

I don't understand why people need to press these points so vehemently. In the big scheme of things....just because something is not important to us doesn't mean that its not important to others...to each his own and by our own choices we will stand or fall.....we will all stand before the same judge, and Jesus will let us all know soon enough if we have passed muster from his standpoint....and his is the only one that matters.

Well, I'd say it's because God is not likely to come down and make these things clear to very many individuals face to face. People taught me most of the basic things I know about the Bible. Then I had to be the good Berean and go look it up to make sure whether they were right or wrong.

We have new people coming and going all the time, and I realize the veterans get tired of hearing this stuff but, generally speaking, we also have plenty who would rather make their objections heard than just ignore it. :)

Always a pleasure, Aunty! :I know: (I remember you're a teacher)