Jesus kept the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really a shame about all the contempt that gets piled onto people who believe and teach that God requires His children to keep all 10 of His commandments literally and the loopholes that are inconsistently embraced to "prove" otherwise. Such a shame. Troublers of Israel, we are.
Personally, I take heed of those who insist God's 9 moral commands no longer apply. And am actually glad they're not my neighbor.
There's enough killing,stealing, disrespect for parents, and so forth, in this world.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I take heed of those who insist God's 9 moral commands no longer apply. And am actually glad they're not my neighbor.
There's enough killing,stealing, disrespect for parents, and so forth, in this world.

Yet there's truly nothing new under the sun. The commandments of God have been trampled ever since Lucifer walked by that mirror and first admired himself rather than the God who made him. We're just cycling through strategies of excuse until Christ has to intervene lest there be none of us left to save.

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet there's truly nothing new under the sun. The commandments of God have been trampled ever since Lucifer walked by that mirror and first admired himself rather than the God who made him. We're just cycling through strategies of excuse until Christ has to intervene lest there be none of us left to save.

On the day there are none left, that I think is Father's will too.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus upped the game in the New Testament... we are to count EVERY DAY as belonging to Him, and being holy unto Him.

Those who insist on counting only one day holy and take the rest of the week off.... are missing the boat!
They are only serving the Lord 1 day out of seven! Hopefully some day the Lord will mean more to them than that. waving.gif

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus upped the game in the New Testament... we are to count EVERY DAY as belonging to Him, and being holy unto Him.

Those who insist on counting only one day holy and take the rest of the week off.... are missing the boat!
They are only serving the Lord 1 day out of seven! Hopefully some day the Lord will mean more to them than that. View attachment 39030

Nonsense. Every day has always belonged to the LORD. But He has only blessed one. And you know nothing about what Sabbath-keepers do on the other six. You're just being obnoxious toward beliefs and believers that don't make it onto your favorites list, like you always do.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense. Every day has always belonged to the LORD. But He has only blessed one. And you know nothing about what Sabbath-keepers do on the other six. You're just being obnoxious toward beliefs and believers that don't make it onto your favorites list, like you always do.

Well, I guess Jesus just totally forgot to teach Saturday sabbath is required for salvation in the New Testament... it must have slipped His mind! funny.gif

I have no problem is somebody wants to go to church o Saturday... but it's false doctrine to claim it's required for salvation as that's something judaizers claim along with the claim we are required to follow the law of Moses even though Moses is not our high priest now... Jesus is..

Under Jesus as out High Priest, there is no Saturday sabbath mandate. disagree.gif

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is our example and what does scripture tell us...

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

He who created the earth in seven days, made the Sabbath when He created the world at the very beginning..

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

So the Sabbath was there from the beginning, made for man. and the Creator Himself kept the Sabbath day:

Genesis 2:1-3
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

and if you look closely at Christ words....

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator.
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He was the One who originally created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

"All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made." John 1:3

"He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not". John 1:10

"God, who created all things by Jesus Christ." Eph. 3:9

"For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him." Col. 1:16

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.
Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Blessed and made Holy...
"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11

And it was there from before the children of Isreal as you can see from the instructions from God.
"And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning." Exodus 16:23

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on the seventh day. Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is "Lord even of the Sabbath day" so He should know. He taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continues after the cross, and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles

Acts 13:44
And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 18:4
And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Jesus Christ kept the Sabbath and never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time.

Certainly the Lord of the Sabbath should keep the practice. However, when the practice was finished, the practice became of no more use or value, and to continue in the practice would be a sign of unbelief that it has been fulfilled in Him.

Therefore, having believed in His fulfillment of the practice, we who are His now celebrate the promise rather than the practice--indeed, on the following day--that is we celebrate the glory of God's rest made available to all who receive it in Christ who came for that very purpose. Thus we celebrate the first day--not of creation, but of His rest made available to us--in His name. Which is to say, we do not celebrate the sun, but rather the Son.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I guess Jesus just totally forgot to teach Saturday sabbath is required for salvation in the New Testament... it must have slipped His mind! View attachment 39044

I have no problem is somebody wants to go to church o Saturday... but it's false doctrine to claim it's required for salvation as that's something judaizers claim along with the claim we are required to follow the law of Moses even though Moses is not our high priest now... Jesus is..

Under Jesus as out High Priest, there is no Saturday sabbath mandate. View attachment 39045

Baloney.

It's real simple.

Sin is the transgression of the law.

What people who have decided to live for Jesus do is sin a lot less, since they're so grateful to Him for paying for the sins they've already committed and they don't want to add any more to His suffering.

I don't commit adultery because I love Jesus and my wife.

I keep the Sabbath because I love the LORD of the Sabbath and I love the people for whom He expects me to set an example.

And I don't care how many people gang up on me on social media and invent and parrot reasons I shouldn't believe and practice the way I do.

No one cares about what you have no problem with. Why do people even say that?

So, have yourself a ball with your scoffing and smilies.

I sincerely hope God forgives you for being such a jerk to people who are just trying to do what they would have other people do for them.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me those whom post such about the Sabbath being a certain day of worship and those who do not agree in following this mandate by their prophetess or organization are receiving the greater sin by condemning others.

If ppl do not want this addressed then multiple threads should not be opened, by this denominal doctrine. Then to slap back as if they are receiving the persecution is utterly redundant !

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly the Lord of the Sabbath should keep the practice. However, when the practice was finished, the practice became of no more use or value, and to continue in the practice would be a sign of unbelief that it has been fulfilled in Him.

Therefore, having believed in His fulfillment of the practice, we who are His now celebrate the promise rather than the practice--indeed, on the following day--that is we celebrate the glory of God's rest made available to all who receive it in Christ who came for that very purpose. Thus we celebrate the first day--not of creation, but of His rest made available to us--in His name. Which is to say, we do not celebrate the sun, but rather the Son.

Scott, honestly, this is just a bunch of neo-Gnosticism.

Fulfillment = useless/valueless
Resurrection = rest
Sunday = Son

Come on.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to me those whom post such about the Sabbath being a certain day of worship and those who do not agree in following this mandate by their prophetess or organization are receiving the greater sin by condemning others.

If ppl do not want this addressed then multiple threads should not be opened, by this denominal doctrine. Then to slap back as if they are receiving the persecution is utterly redubdant !

It's not just the day of the week that's wrong.

Who keeps Sunday holy?

Someone posts about the Sabbath and then objectors Google it and start slinging mud about organizations and leaders and then, irony of ironies, blame all of that on the people who are only talking about what the Bible says.

Sorry we're such a thorn in your side.

You don't have to view the threads. They're usually pretty easy to spot by title.

Good to know you're all for freedom of expression.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John17:
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: THY WORD IS TRUTH.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath is an amazing subject.

99% of Christians don't want to talk about it.

Except for when they do.

They hate it.

Unless it's the one that you're supposed to keep every day.

They love it.

If they believe it's actually Jesus.

Of course, some believe it never really started yet.

It's really peculiar that nearly all Christians believe that the Sabbath is anything and everything except what it actually is.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Someone posts about the Sabbath and then objectors Google it and start slinging mud about organizations and leaders and then, irony of ironies, blame all of that on the people who are only talking about what the Bible says.

Sorry we're such a thorn in your side.

You don't have to view the threads. They're usually pretty easy to spot by title.
I don’t know what all the fuss is about either BarneyFife…..
Certainly if a law given by God was perfect when he gave it under the old covenant, it is a matter of choice if someone decides to uphold it under the new covenant…..like circumcision…it was mandatory for the Jews but not for Gentiles, still who is harmed if it is observed? The principles of the 10 Commandments were all upheld by Jesus in his teachings, (no murder, adultery or any other practice that shows a lack of love for God or neighbor) but the law itself was no longer binding on Christ’s disciples….it was now all about conscience…the choice to obey God because he said to listen to his son….and for Christians, we should want to obey God in all things.

When Gentiles were introduced into the Christian congregation of believers, some Jews wanted to impose circumcision on them to have them conform to God’s law, but the only Gentiles who qualified for mandatory circumcision were Jewish proselytes. The Christian’s were not converts to Judaism but to Christ’s teachings under the new covenant, which made the old one no longer valid.
The apostles convened with the older men in Jerusalem concerning the matter and prayed for God’s spirit to direct them….the outcome was simple…..

Acts 15:28-29….they said….
”For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

There was no circumcision or Sabbath observance mentioned among those “necessary things”, mainly for Gentile believers who were not under Jewish law, and therefore it would not have been natural for them to observe these things. But there is no law against them either…..so what if some choose to hold their church services on a different day of the week….JW’s have no set days for worship because no set days are mentioned in the scriptures. That you worship God correctly is the important thing…..not the day you choose to do it. So what if we also choose to circumcise our boys…..it doesn’t harm anyone.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott, honestly, this is just a bunch of neo-Gnosticism.

Fulfillment = useless/valueless
Resurrection = rest
Sunday = Son

Come on.

You do not believe then that the practice of keeping a weekly sabbath points to the real thing, and thus believe the world is all there is?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not believe then that the practice of keeping a weekly sabbath points to the real thing, and thus believe the world is all there is?

I believe that the practice of keeping THE weekly Sabbath is A real thing that points back to the creation of the heavens and the earth and the Exodus, which is a symbol of redemption, as per Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5.

As to the world being all there is, I know nothing of such an idea.

I'm not into making stuff up.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually, the Sabbath was made for us. Immanuel-Jesus did not invalidate that. Nor was there anything about the Sabbath to be fulfilled, since the Sabbath was to be remembered in the list of Moral commands, rather than being established there.

The Sunday practice is a pagan day of worship. Not the holy day God made for us.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know what all the fuss is about either BarneyFife…..
Certainly if a law given by God was perfect when he gave it under the old covenant, it is a matter of choice if someone decides to uphold it under the new covenant…..like circumcision…it was mandatory for the Jews but not for Gentiles, still who is harmed if it is observed? The principles of the 10 Commandments were all upheld by Jesus in his teachings, (no murder, adultery or any other practice that shows a lack of love for God or neighbor) but the law itself was no longer binding on Christ’s disciples….it was now all about conscience…the choice to obey God because he said to listen to his son….and for Christians, we should want to obey God in all things.

When Gentiles were introduced into the Christian congregation of believers, some Jews wanted to impose circumcision on them to have them conform to God’s law, but the only Gentiles who qualified for mandatory circumcision were Jewish proselytes. The Christian’s were not converts to Judaism but to Christ’s teachings under the new covenant, which made the old one no longer valid.
The apostles convened with the older men in Jerusalem concerning the matter and prayed for God’s spirit to direct them….the outcome was simple…..

Acts 15:28-29….they said….
”For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

There was no circumcision or Sabbath observance mentioned among those “necessary things”, mainly for Gentile believers who were not under Jewish law, and therefore it would not have been natural for them to observe these things. But there is no law against them either…..so what if some choose to hold their church services on a different day of the week….JW’s have no set days for worship because no set days are mentioned in the scriptures. That you worship God correctly is the important thing…..not the day you choose to do it. So what if we also choose to circumcise our boys…..it doesn’t harm anyone.

Hi Aunty!

Well, we've been down this road before and there are no new arguments. I can't help but wonder, though, if the Jerusalem Council wouldn't have insisted on abstention from murder and theft as being considered "necessary things" which, coincidentally, come from the same list that contains that pesky Sabbath commandment that everybody objects to and, strangely enough, mentions nothing about circumcision.

People are free to do what they want but I'm not free to keep still and let them do so ignorantly.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Aunty!

Well, we've been down this road before and there are no new arguments. I can't help but wonder, though, if the Jerusalem Council wouldn't have insisted on abstention from murder and theft as being considered "necessary things" which, coincidentally, come from the same list that contains that pesky Sabbath commandment that everybody objects to and, strangely enough, mentions nothing about circumcision.

People are free to do what they want but I'm not free to keep still and let them do so ignorantly.

The error add often enough is that the Sabbath was for Jews only. No, God created Sabbath day for man. Well before the Jews came to exist by that title.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sincerely hope God forgives you for being such a jerk to people who are just trying to do what they would have other people do for them.

If I were trying to keep the law causing me to be fallen from grace... I'd certainly want someone to tell me Christians are no longer under the Law ya'll... so I am actually treating others the way I'd like to be treated!

You know the Apostles already delt with the judaizers in the New Testament and it has been firmly established in scripture that Christians are no longer obligated to follow the law of Moses because we are now under the Law of Christ and Jesus is now our High Priest as the old covenant has been done away with so the New Covenant

The Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 determined that gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the rules prescribed to the Jews by the Mosaic Law, such as Jewish dietary laws and other specific rituals, including the rules concerning circumcision of males. The council did, however, retain the prohibitions on eating blood, meat containing blood, and meat of animals that were strangled, and on fornication and idolatry, sometimes referred to as the Apostolic Decree.

Not a peep about any requirement on Christians to keep Saturday sabbath as a requirement for salvation or that those who don't keep Saturday sabbath will be thrown in to hell by the Lord having lost their salvation for honoring the Lord just one day per week.

99% of Christians don't want to talk about it.

That's because it's not part of the New Covenant... Jesus never taught His followers to keep Saturday sabbath and Jesus never taught this thru His Apostles in the writing of the New Testament.

You can meet on Saturday at church if you'd like, but it's not something that is taught in the New Testament and it's NOT a requirement for salvation either.

And, this will be shocking you those keeping Saturday sabbath... the Lord does not love those keep Saturday sabbath more than those who go to church on Sunday!

There was no circumcision or Sabbath observance mentioned among those “necessary things”

Exactly! Keeping Saturday sabbath is NOT necessary for salvation or necessary to be in right standing with the Lord under the New Covenant.

Saturday sabbath keepers like to claim one must keep Saturday sabbath to be saved, but they be mistaken!