Jesus own words that He is the Son of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Davy , look these cases:

Abraham renders himself "proskyneo" to the Hittites (Canaanites) as owners of the land he wished to purchase as a burial place for Sarah (Gen. 23:4-20 ... note verses 7 and 12 especially);

Jacob and all his people render Esau "proskyneo" (Gen. 33: 3-7);

Moses renders "proskyneo" to his father-in-law Jethro (Ex. 18:7)...

... and those are just three examples out of dozens of them. You just have to consult the LXX in Greek and look up the word... You will see that you have only been innocent of this biblical reality about that word.

To me the only logical reaction I can have from that discovery is that I cannot now think of Jesus as a human being "worshiped" as God when so many faithful servants of God of old "worshipped" other humans in the same sense... even humans who did not serve the same God.

John 4:22
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

KJV

You simply have been blinded by word fallacy.

In the above verse both "worship" examples are the Greek word proskuneo, to bow in worship, venerate. And it ain't... simply about bowing like a greeting or kneeling down to get a better look, like you're trying play at!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just proved you wrong :)

(Matt. 18:26; Rev. 3:9).

You have only proven your foolishness. You FAILED TO EVEN ADDRESS the Scriptures I have shown you about worshiping The Father! You just completely SKIPPED THESE TYPE PASSAGES... showing YOU are not to be TRUSTED!

Matt 4:10
10 Then saith Jesus unto him, "Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship (proskuneo) the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve."

KJV

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't use that word 'trinitarian'. But I do believe what God's Word teaches.

The name 'Jesus' comes from the Greek:
NT:2424
Iesous (ee-ay-sooce'); of Hebrew origin [OT:3091]; Jesus (i.e. Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites:
KJV - Jesus.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006, 2010 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

And Iesous is of Hebrew origin:
OT:3091
Yehowshuwa` (yeh-ho-shoo'-ah); or Yehowshu`a (yeh-ho-shoo'-ah); from OT:3068 and OT:3467; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish leader: -Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare OT:1954, OT:3442.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006, 2010 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

And Yehowshuwa is derived from OT:3068:
OT:3068
Yehovah (yeh-ho-vaw'); from OT:1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:
KJV - Jehovah, the Lord. Compare OT:3050, OT:3069.

Yashua is another spelling for Yehowshuwa, and it means 'Yehovah saves'.

The name Joshua in the Old Testament is equivalent to our English 'Jesus' name in The New Testament.

But still 'Joshua' (Hebrew Yehowshuwa or Yahshua) still points to the name Yehovah. (But do not confuse the flesh born Joshua in the Old Testament that led the children of Israel across Jordan into the land of Canaan as being our Lord Jesus. That was not Lord Jesus. Lord Jesus had not been born in the flesh yet back then.)

So The Father Yehovah and The Son Yahshua cannot be separated.

So the Father Yehovah and The Son Yahshua cannot be separated but, apparently, The Holy Spirit can be separated.

You worship the Father Yehovah and The Son Yahshua, but not the Holy Spirit.

You either don’t worship the Trinity (Father Yehovah, Son Yahshua, Holy Spirit) or you worship the Trinity minus the Holy Spirit. I don’t understand how that’s possible, but it’s fascinating.

I vividly recall worshipping the Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) when I was a “trinitarian” (the word you don’t use).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the Father Yehovah and The Son Yahshua cannot be separated but, apparently, The Holy Spirit can be separated.

You worship the Father Yehovah and The Son Yahshua, but not the Holy Spirit.

You either don’t worship the Trinity (Father Yehovah, Son Yahshua, Holy Spirit) or you worship the Trinity minus the Holy Spirit. I don’t understand how that’s possible, but it’s fascinating.

I vividly recall worshipping the Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) when I was a “trinitarian” (the word you don’t use).

Where in anywhere in God's Word does it say to worship The Holy Spirit??

The word 'trinitarian' is a word by men, not written in God's Word. Also, if you're going to rely on Catholic dogma, then you're really in trouble, because they worship Mary the mother of our Lord Jesus, when we are not commanded to do any such thing per God's Word. We are shown by Lord Jesus to pray to The Father, and that is all.

Reactions: Matthias

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have only proven your foolishness. You FAILED TO EVEN ADDRESS the Scriptures I have shown (...)
(...) You simply have been blinded by word fallacy. (...)
Mmmh, not cool. :(

Of course, there is a special proskyneo that can be given to the Father, but not only to him as you can see before ... I have only been showing you the use of the word in the Scriptures and you get violent unnecessarily.

There is another word with the "worship" sense that you will never see aplied to Jesus. Do you know that other word?
It is latreuo. Jesus never get that from anyone, and he mentioned that word in Matt. 4:10 also.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

It doesn’t. That realization was a contributing factor in my journey out of trinitarianism.

The word 'trinitarian' is a word by men, not written in God's Word. Also, if you're going to rely on Catholic dogma, then you're really in trouble, because they worship Mary the mother of our Lord Jesus, when we are not commanded to do any such thing per God's Word. We are shown by Lord Jesus to pray to The Father, and that is all.

I understand. I married a woman who was, at that time, Roman Catholic.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was God? Baloney..:)
Check these verses from Jesus's own lips-
“Why do you call me good?..No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, I only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

The early Christians got it right..:)-
"Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God" (1 John 5:5)

Reactions: ElieG12

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 16.27,28,29,30,31

do you believe Jesus asked his disciples. And that applies to us as well .
Jesus was born by the Holy Spirit and Virgin Mary in Bethlehem, this is when he came from God . Jesus demonstrated Gods being with him , by raising the dead , healing the sick , feeding 5 thousand . By his father God and dependence on him always . In perfect obedience to His father . Be careful how you read these verses and don’t go beyond them by adding things not said to fit a belief system or doctrine . May the Spirit of truth lead you …
John 16:27-31
27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”

29 His disciples said to Him, “See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! 30 Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God.”

31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?
Notice that it says "using no figure of speech." Notice also that He does not say "Son" (of God).

By this word--I submit to you that "Son" is a "figure of speech." Which is to say, "Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us”, "speaking plainly" means "God."

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is supposed to be in the Supreme position, the highest position in the entire Universe, and is placed as absolute Majesty. For that reason the Bible calls him God of gods.

However, Jesus has a God (John 20:17; Rev. 3:12). Doesn't that tell you anything?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is supposed to be in the Supreme position, the highest position in the entire Universe, and is placed as absolute Majesty. For that reason the Bible calls him God of gods.

However, Jesus has a God (John 20:17; Rev. 3:12). Doesn't that tell you anything?
Yes...but it must be spiritually discerned. Which is not to say Jesus is not God, but is to [purposely] say He has become a man...that being so qualified, He might pay the price for sin.

You see, in the beginning it says "God spoke" and then later it was revealed that Jesus is "the Word." Which likewise should [spiritually] "tell you something." That is, that He who "became flesh" is the One who "spoke" in the beginning. Thus, making the Father and the Son One...just as it is written.

Which Jesus eluded to testing the Pharisees, asking who people said the Christ was. To which they answered saying, "He is the son of David." But since David said in the Spirit "The Lord said unto my Lord", He also asked them, "If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?

This is still the same question that many do not understand and therefore have come up with their own answer, for they too cannot answer it. But notice what it says the Pharisees did next:

If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?” 46 And no one was able to answer Him a word, nor from that day on did anyone dare question Him anymore.
But many being worse than they--you dare to question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davy

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmmh, "spiritually discerned"?

What about what Paul said here?

1 Cor. 15:27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected', it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him. 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.

He calls this matter as EVIDENT, not "spiritual".

According to this evident fact, what is the position of Jesus with respect to God? Equal?

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was God? Baloney..:)
Check these verses from Jesus's own lips-
“Why do you call me good?..No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, I only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
"I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

The early Christians got it right..:)-
"Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God" (1 John 5:5)

You should have kept reading there in the Book of John...

Jesus speaking to the blind Pharisees:

John 8:56-59
56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

58 Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

The 'I AM' is one of GOD's sacred names. Right there Lord Jesus de facto declared Himself as God, and that is why those Pharisees took up stones to try and stone Him.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus came from God and God was first before all creation, what was his name ? We know he received his name Jesus at Bethlehem. So to identify him before is not possible, but yes he came from God but he did not exist as Jesus , that’s a fact .
God mentioned His name Emmanuel they shall call Him, not His name will be.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The word “Godhead” (in the KJB) is simply another name for Trinity. Although those who have been hoodwinked by Textual Criticism (Who do not believe any Bible is the perfect inerrant Word of God that exists on our planet) will say otherwise. Chapter numbers and verses were also added later. But I believe they were added later as a part of God’s divine plan. For if you say, John 3:16 to a Christian, they will know instantly what you are talking about. Not just that, but biblical numerics shows this to be so. For example: Exodus 33 just so happens to be the chapter where God reveals His back parts to Moses. There are 33 bones in the back of our spine. There are tons of things like this in the Bible.

Anyways, I believe the Bible teaches Monotheism (i.e. one God) and yet He exists as three distinct persons (the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost - 1 John 5:7 KJB).
Mormons have believed in Tritheism in that the Godhead is three separate gods and that is false. Others like the United Pentecostal Church believe in Modalism which is the view that there are no distinct persons in the Godhead. But this is false.

Here are a couple of quick points:

#1. The word Elohim (אֱלֹהִ֔ים) is both a singular and a plural noun.
#2. God refers to Himself in plural form (Genesis 1:26) (Genesis 3:22) (Genesis 11:7) (Isaiah 6:8).
#3. Plurality of God in New Testament (Matthew 28:19) (2 Corinthians 13:14) (John 14:16-20).
#4. Introductions to both the Son & Holy Spirit (Daniel 7:9,10,13,14) (John 14:16)
#5. Different persons of Godhead appear at one time (Luke 3:21-22)
#6. Distinctions of Wills (Luke 22:42).
#7. Conversations Between the Godhead (Psalm 2:1-12) (Psalm 45:6-7) (Psalm 110:1) (Matthew 11:27) (John 17:24).​

Romans 1:20 says,
"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

Meaning, even nature itself declares the Godhead (or the Trinity).

Atoms = Nucleus, Protons, Electrons.
Water Molecules = Hydrogen Atom, Hydrogen Atom, Oxygen Atom.
Man Made in God's Image = Physical Body, Spirit Body, Soul.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..58 Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.".
The 'I AM' is one of GOD's sacred names. Right there Lord Jesus de facto declared Himself as God, and that is why those Pharisees took up stones to try and stone Him.

Wait a min, the JW's say God's name is 'Jehovah', jews say it's 'Yahweh', and you say it's 'I am', so which of you is right?
And if Jesus is God why is his name 'Jesus'?..:)

Reactions: Wrangler

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait a min, the JW's say God's name is 'Jehovah', jews say it's 'Yahweh', and you say it's 'I am', so which of you is right?
And if Jesus is God why is his name 'Jesus'?..:)

All of the above.

Jesus = Greek Iesous = Hebrew Yehowshua from Hebrew Jehovah

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the above.

Jesus = Greek Iesous = Hebrew Yehowshua from Hebrew Jehovah
What a crock! The things people make up on the internet out of thin air is amazing.

The personal name of God is not Jesus. I suppose you don't embrace logic's proof by contradiction.

Justbobg

Oct 4, 2022
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 16:27-31
27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”

29 His disciples said to Him, “See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech! 30 Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God.”

31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?
Notice that it says "using no figure of speech." Notice also that He does not say "Son" (of God).

By this word--I submit to you that "Son" is a "figure of speech." Which is to say, "Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us”, "speaking plainly" means "God."
Jesus plainly said The father God is WITH him , and he did not say IAM GOD , do you now believe that I AM GOD ? He never said it EVER. Jesus being the Son of God is self explanatory. What so many seem to over look is the word OF , Son OF God , that means he is OF God not just a man , although a man . Not just a prophet , John the Baptist was the greatest prophet according to Jesus and we know he said about Jesus that he was unworthy to unloose his boot straps . So Jesus is not God himself or a prophet alone , but the Son of God and the first ever of his kind . You could even say angels have been called sons of God but not like Jesus . “ Only begotten “ is Jesus. Gods Son .

Reactions: Dropship

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's possible God was slightly disappointed at Moses' lack of understanding in trying to 'humanise' him by asking him his name, so we could therefore speculate that his reply translates as something like- "Do not try to trivialise me by assuming I have a name, I just AM"
That's why the vast majority of Exodus 3:14 in Bible versions say "I am"..:)-

Exo 3-14.jpg