Jesus saves us from ...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
The other day in church I was listening to yet another altar call. The preacher was telling us that Jesus saves. If we have problems with loneliness then we should come to the front because Jesus saves us from our loneliness. If we have problems with anger that is destroying our families then come to the front because Jesus saves. If we have problems with addictions then come to the front because Jesus saves.

As I was sitting there I started thinking about the concepts of Jesus and salvation. I had recently been studying the Christmas stories in the early chapters of Luke and Matthew. Jesus was born in interesting times. The Romans had control of the area and ruled through their patsy king Herod. Neither was particularly popular and the Jewish masses were hoping for a Messiah to come and save them from the situation.

The religious experts taught that their scriptures prophesised for a Messiah to come and lead their people to world domination. With the uniqueness of the Jewish people and the religious stubbornness these teaches were known throughout the Roman world. There a number of people who rose up and claimed to this Messiah. In Acts 5:35-37 Gamaliel speaks of Theudas and Judas the Galilean rising up, gathering men yet ultimately coming to nothing.

So when Jesus, the real Messiah came, many people didn’t get it. They were looking for a military leader to save them from their circumstances. What they got was a religious teacher who saved them from their sins. This made them so angry that the masses turned on Jesus and called from the Romans to kill him as a political agitator.

As I thought about the altar call, I wondered about the message being given. The message was Jesus saves but I’m not sure it was really about Jesus saves us from our sins. It seemed to be,’ Jesus will save you from your circumstances’. I’m not saying that churches shouldn’t be helping people overcome difficult circumstances. Churches should be in the business of loving people! But what is the message about Jesus that churches really give?

I reflected on a number of people I knew who had come and gone from different churches. What Jesus did they know? What Jesus did they want? Was he the saviour of their sins? Or did they rather want a saviour of their circumstances?

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
I understand your thinking here, I have often wondered as to the motivation of people regarding "religion" etc. I have come to the conclusion that as we are all individual formulations (nature, nurture mix); the Holy Spirit draws people from one or more of their needs or curiosities, initially.
What is apparent, certainly in my own experience over time is that when our hearts and minds are "stayed on Him", when we are sincere, He gives understanding in measure for the need or for learning. When a call to Faith is made from the Pastor, the responders will be at differing levels of need/understanding, but our Lord will take this and build on it.
Growing closer to Him can be a long process, as when study of Scripture starts the mind of the individual, together with the satanic forces will conspire to thwart the effort.
However, like many examples in OT and NT, faith wins through to the glory of the Lord's Body.
Regards.
Floyd.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Most definately a relevant OP.
The acknowledgment that one is a sinner and requires salvation as a result, is part and parcel of the intention of the gospel. The good news can only be appreciated in light of the current situation. If the sin of the world (and hence, the individual) is not understood as the reason for the death of Jesus, then the message has been diluted, and in fact, lost.
The "rose garden" that He has promised us is not in this life. But the joy of our salvation will offer the emotional strength to go through the unwanted circumstances that we cannot control. He is not saving us from our circumstances, necessarily. But He is coming along side in our circumstances, which actually can assist in turning many of them around. I can't count how many times I have asked for His help or favor and received it. Blessings

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Yes Williemac; I agree.
There is also that marvellous fact that when we take our Lord's Salvation Love into ourselves, our "spirit of life" becomes "the Christ Spirit"; which goes to Him at our death (or Translation).
Regards.
Floyd.