John 3.16: Simple Gospel truth and profound theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John_3-16.jpg
kingjamesbibleonline dot org
Yes. Everlasting.

Reactions: farouk

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:16 was the Bible verse I had to learn and recite in my first Sunday school when I was five. One of my favorites.

Reactions: farouk

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Many today have carelessly told us that the world here is everyone without exception. However that comes from lack of honest bible study. The world here is a world of people that God So Loved, which is a World of His Elect Jacobs Rom 9:11-13

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Its the World of Christ's Church He Loved and gave Himself for Eh 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

And as a result of such great Love, its a world that Christ gives life to, Spiritual Life. Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

Its the Life that is attributed to Gods Great Love here Eph 2:4-5

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ
, (by grace ye are saved)

That word quickened is the word suzóopoieó :

I make alive together with.

I make that which was dead to live, cause to live, quicken

Its to say this, The World God so Loved, is a World that will be given Life unto by Christ.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The World God so Loved !

John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This world is not the object of Gods condemnation but of His saving purpose through Christ.

Notice Vs 17

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

So this world was never under Gods wrath or condemnation as these are Jn 3:18,36 and this world 1 Cor 11:32

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

The world God Loved isnt condemned but chastened as a token of Gods Love Heb 12:6

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth

Rev 3:19

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.1

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The World God so Loved that whosoever is believing in Him shall have eternal life, it's comprised of all of them that are the "as many as the Father gave Him" described in Jn 17:2

as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He [a]should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 3:16 is also the world of Christ Sheep whom He gives to them Eternal Life. Jn 10:26-28

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Now this is the same believe and eternal life we see in Jn 3:16, and it pertains to the Sheep

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bible Highlighter Thread I started, FYI...

Thank you the invite.

As for my current thoughts on John 3:16:

Well, unfortunately, some Christians have tried to downplay and or even criticize the importance of verse numbers in the Bible. Yet, if you were to say John 3:16 to another Christian, they instantly would know what the other Christian was saying. John 3:16 is one of the heart core verses of the Bible if you were to trying to quickly explain what the whole Bible is about in a nutshell.

Lets read it again.

John 3:16 KJB
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

John 3:16 captures the motivation of God (His love for the world), and by the action of that love (in that He gave His only begotten Son). The whosever believes in Him (the Son or Jesus) is anyone who freely wants to believe and trust in Jesus for salvation. For the whosoever (any person) believes in Him shall not perish (i.e. perish with the second death or the Lake of Fire), but they shall have everlasting life (i.e. they will live eternally with God in the New Jerusalem city on the New Earth).

John 3:16 captures a basic basic quick snapshot of God’s plan for salvation for us without going too deep into the details (Unless one continues to read the rest of the gospel of John, and the rest of New Testament Scripture). If John 3:16 was the only verse in the Bible, or if we died on our death bed only knowing of John 3:16 for salvation… we would be saved. For it is true that He gave power to those who believe on His name to be the sons of God (John 1:12). But those Christians who live out their faith, and who are to study the Scriptures by God’s command (2 Timothy 2:15), have more of a responsibility in believing in Jesus than simply believing on His name for salvation alone.

Faith or belief in the Son (or Jesus) is like two sides of the same coin.

The 1st Side of the Coin of Faith:

Faith starts off as a belief or trust in Jesus Christ as one's Savior (John 3:16). We are first saved by God's grace through faith without the deeds of the law or works ALONE (Ephesians 2:8-9). We are saved initially and foundationally by God's grace and mercy like the receiving of a gift. We believe that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later for our salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) (Note: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is also known as the gospel or good news). We call upon the name of the Lord seeking forgiveness with Him (Romans 10:13, Luke 18:9-14). We receive or invite Christ into our life (John 1:12, Revelation 3:20). If a believer stumbles into sin on rare occasion, they do not do a good work to redeem that sin; But they go to God's grace by confessing their sins to Jesus Christ in order to be forgiven of it (See: 1 John 1:9, 1 John 2:1, Hebrews 4:16). This is all a part of how we are saved by God's grace through faith. No man can save themselves by Works Alone without God's grace. Many people who believe in God, and yet they have not accepted Jesus as their Savior think that God will outweigh their good deeds over their bad deeds. Salvation does not work like that. For they do not realize that their bad deeds will condemn them. They need to have their past slate of sins wiped out. This is where God's grace through faith in Jesus comes in.

But faith does not end with being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Belief in Jesus or the Son does not stop there.

The journey of faith continues with...​

The 2nd Side of the Coin of Faith.
(See my next post).

Last edited: