John 3 Jesus discussion with Nicodemus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revisiting “how can these things be so?” To me the whole of what He tells Nicodemus is that a man’s pride and forgetting God and by whose hand man is led out of bondage …a man’s pride lifted up …is to be brought down. Consider “you filthy sinners, be heavy and mourn; humble yourself in the sight of God and Christ will lift you up.”

Also it was prophesied of Jesus Christ that He would be a sign spoken against. A sword that enters the heart of man so that every heart would be made manifest. And that many in Israel would fall and rise again. To me “born again from above” is to be brought low…as John said “I must decrease” that “He increase”…that born again is not haughtiness or boasting in saying a little prayer or convincing yourself of your own lies…but born of and from above is “humility”… to descend to take the lower seat before Him (Christ) who has been given all power to lift up again what has come down; He who has the right to say “come up higher”.

Except a man be born again he can not see the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus asked “How can these things be?”
Elsewhere we are told the carnal man can not see the kingdom of God because they are foolishness to him. (To me this means a carnal man can not see his brothers for to him having brothers is foolishness. Others needs are foolishness to him.) (some may say that is works of the flesh…life teaches us some do not see or notice your affliction and because they don’t see or become aware; they are not going to communicate anything towards your need.) (it’s not works…it’s what comes out from the heart which God changes the heart and if that is disputable …look at Saul who dragged those seeking after Christ to be judged and imprisoned saying “I persecuted the way. Yet the one who persecuted the way …has now become one who preaches what way he once persecuted. Is that teaching “works” or simply a heart changed …a new heart given by God?)

Except a man be born of water and of Spirit. He cannot enter the Kingdom of God. —this reminds me of Paul. Philippians 4:11-20 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. [12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. [13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. [14] Notwithstanding you have well done, that you did communicate with my affliction. [15] Now you Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but you only. [16] For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. [17] Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit (of the Kingdom of God) that may abound to your account. [18] But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. [19] But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. [20] Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

You may say …no no that has nothing to do with “born of water” and “of the Spirit” …but to me it’s the closest I can find to helping with “I’m am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.” Notice by suffering need and hunger that they bear fruit …the kingdom of God is seen in “My God will supply all your needs.” Paul praises God for His supply saying “I am full, having received …the sweet odour of Christ… the sacrifice well pleasing to God” … “the riches of the glory of God”

You may still continue to say it does not connect but all of what Jesus Christ is speaking to Nicodemus of you must born anew of hunger and need and abounding and full is …instruction to be both “abased” and “abounding”. John who baptized with water spoke of the same “abased” and abounding” in “I must decrease” and “Him increase.”

Deuteronomy 8:9-20 speaks also of the “serpent lifted up” but the whole of those verses is…they’re boasting that their own hand has done these things and they have forgotten God. Near the end of that passage it speaks of a testimony against them that they have forgotten their God. To me that is why God told them to lift up a bronze serpent in the wilderness where he said if you forget Me, I will leave you in your sin. How many times did Jesus Christ warn the Pharisees “you will die in your sins” but also He called them the “serpent” that bites. OT a viper …NT He points out “Vipers” among you. It also speaks of “enemies of the cross” …is the cross a testimony that you will die in your sins in forgetting by whom you are delivered out of the house of bondage. And the cross is a remembrance to those who are reminded by whose hand they are delivered out from the house of bondage.

Nicodemus asks “How can those things be so”
Christ asked him “are you not a master of Israel? How do you not know those things?”

Christ helps Nicodemus by explaining all those born of the Spirit…are like the wind that blows …you hear the sound of it…as He said “have their words not gone out” “have they not heard” “yea their words have gone out to all ends of the earth” …the words like the wind…you hear it but you don’t know from where it comes and where it goes; does this not help Nicodemus? “How is it you are a master of Israel yet you do not know these things?” The things you hear me saying how is it you still question from where it comes from and to where it goes? Are you not a master of Israel yet upon hearing the words I speak to you, you ask, “how can these things be so”?

As far as the serpent lifted up …man’s pride is lifted up too. From Deuteronomy 8:9-20, it speaks of man’s pride lifted up …the bronze serpent lifted up in the wilderness by Moses. Christ told them they are “serpents” “vipers”
^BUT as the above was lifted up in the wilderness of Moses.
Likewise the son of man shall be lifted up … as we were tempted in all accounts he was tempted as we were…yet He overcomes sin. Being the Son of God. In whom God is well-pleased because Having the power to lay He life down and take it up again…He was (being weak in the flesh) became obedient (the power of the Spirit of God which is willing) … even unto death of the cross; God demonstrated His love for us even while we were yet dead in sin.

born from above to me is humility not false humility but God given humility that “comes down from above” or “to bow low” in the Sight of God. All things in subjection to Christ who has been given the power to lift up, Raise again that which God has brought down from above.
Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 29:23-25 A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit. [24] Whoso is partner with a thief hates his own soul: he hears cursing, and bewrayeth it not. [25] The fear of man brings a snare: but whoso puts his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

Isaiah 2:17 And the haughtiness of man shall be humbled, and the lofty pride of men shall be brought low, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.

All throughout …to me “born from above” is the haughtiness of man humbled and the lofty pride of men brought low. -as John said “I must decrease” “He must increase” and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. Proverbs also speak of let the rich man praise in that he is brought low (warned rich in the world but not rich towards God) let the rich man rejoice in being brought low, and let the poor rejoice in that he is lifted up.

As Paul’s (inspired by the Spirit of God) well-quoted verse: I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Whether “abased” or “abounding” in both “water” and “of the Spirit” …put your Trust in Him.
Where are the words they will never perish, but they have eternal life at? Jesus said this not once, but twice. And he says if AFTER he said as moses lifted The serpent. in which those who looked lived and did not die or perish.

where is the death, that caused the need to be born again at?

once again, I think you are making things more difficult than they are.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love Proverbs 30:8-16 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: [9] Lest I be full, and deny You, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. [10] Accuse not a servant unto his master, lest he curse you, and your be found guilty. [11] There is a generation that curses their father, and does not bless their mother. [12] There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes(this generation …that are pure in their own eyes…shall not pass until all these things spoken of Me be fulfilled), and yet (being pure in their own eyes) is not washed from their filthiness. [13] There is a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! and their eyelids are lifted up. [14] There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men. [15] The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough: [16] The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that says not, It is enough.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where are the words they will never perish, but they have eternal life at? Jesus said this not once, but twice. And he says if AFTER he said as moses lifted The serpent. in which those who looked lived and did not die or perish.

where is the death, that caused the need to be born again at?

once again, I think you are making things more difficult than they are.
It doesn’t matter how much I post. First it is that I won’t stay on topic, and that I never addressed born again or Nicodemus asking “how can these things be so?” …now it is something else. I appreciate your topic because it urged me to revisit. I hadn’t thought of Paul speaking of instructed to be both. That helped this morning. so I’m thankful that I was able to read though some of those passages again. You provoked that encouragement by starting this thread. At the end of the day…I do think people have different perspectives. I do love give me enough that I’m satisfied but not so much I forget You.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn’t matter how much I post. First it is that I won’t stay on topic, and that I never addressed born again or Nicodemus asking “how can these things be so?” …now it is something else. I appreciate your topic because it urged me to revisit. I hadn’t thought of Paul speaking of instructed to be both. That helped this morning. so I’m thankful that I was able to read though some of those passages again. You provoked that encouragement by starting this thread. At the end of the day…I do think people have different perspectives. I do love give me enough that I’m satisfied but not so much I forget You.
I guess your right,

It does not matter how much you post. Not because I am being rude. But because i will never understand your response

Your right, Nicodemus asked how can these things be

And Jesus answered him. He did not give him a complicated answer. he did nto say something that we shoukld look at and try to determine what Jesus said symbolically. He gave a direct answer..

13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man [b]who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should [c]not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Yet in almost every post you go all over the word from the OT to the NT trying to explain what it is. When again, Jesus gave him a direct answer..

but for some reason you do not want to look at Jesus direct answer?

it would be one things if you explained what Jesus means when he said those things. But I have not heard it.. EPI attempted to, as did his Lauren. But their answer was we should not take it as a formula.. Yet they can not explain what Jesus meant..

So all I can do is question why. Why is it so scary to talk about what Jesus said when he answered him, And what Jesus said would happen to everyone who is born again.. Because I can not understand it..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in review

Nicodemus came to jesus at night

Jesus says, unless one is born again he can not see the kingdom of God

Nicodemus questioned this, Must I re-enter my mothers womb

Jesus said unless a man is born of water and spirit, he can not enter the kingdom. Ands he explains what he means, that which is born of flesh is flesh, and spirit is spirit

Jesus said being born of the spirit is like the wind, you do not know where it comes. You can;t see it. But it happens.

Nicodemus asked, How can these things be

Jesus first questioned him, how can you be a teacher of israel and not know these things.

He then explains

As moses lifted the serpent (whoever looked would not die) so must the son of man be lifted

that whoever believed would not die (same as with moses) but live forever.

God so loved the world. that again, whoever believes will not die. but live forever.

He who believes is not condemned

he who does nto believe is condemned already

Just like the people of Israel. whoever was bitten was condemned, So God had Moses lift the serpent. whoever believed was no longer condemned, they were essentially born again

its not rocket science. But it is basic math.

he who does this, will get this..

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right, Nicodemus asked how can these things be

And Jesus answered him. He did not give him a complicated answer. he did nto say something that we shoukld look at and try to determine what Jesus said symbolically. He gave a direct answer..
Then how was it that your thread is asking what His answer meant? I’ve been thinking about how we throw around the word “simple”… it is not simple at all to not be children in maliciousness, or it is not simple to be children not in malice. That(not malicious) is foreign. We throw around the word “simple” as Jesus didn’t complicate things…what is…told unto you in parables? “you must drink My blood and eat My flesh” …what does that have to do with your response? Because you keep saying I over complicate what is simple. As you said “not to be rude but I will never understand your response.” Is that true? Because it sure feels rude as in “why can’t you understand something so simple and direct?”
He gave a direct answer..

13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man [b]who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should [c]not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Yes. But again…if it’s so simple then why doesn’t anyone agree over his direct answer?
Yet in almost every post you go all over the word from the OT to the NT trying to explain what it is. When again, Jesus gave him a direct answer..
That is because it all helps as the Old Testament spoke of the One who is giving a direct answer. YET even Nicodemus is asking what the answer means. As all of Jesus Disciples ask Him repeatedly what it was He was saying. He would answer their questions. And they would ask “what?” And He asked “does it still not make sense to you?”
it would be one things if you explained what Jesus means when he said those things. But I have not heard it.. EPI attempted to, as did his Lauren. But their answer was we should not take it as a formula.. Yet they can not explain what Jesus meant..
Don’t bring Epi or “as did his Lauren” into our conversation. They are not in this conversation between you and I …what is the motive for drawing them in? Is it to goad them? Or me?
So all I can do is question why. Why is it so scary to talk about what Jesus said when he answered him, And what Jesus said would happen to everyone who is born again.. Because I can not understand it..
I’ve tried …I’ve tried my best to share with you what it means to me. I’ve even acknowledged it is all just an opinion. I’ve tried to answer your questions as you said you asked what Jesus meant when he said those things…but you haven’t heard it. You won’t because anything I have to share is foolishness to you. I don’t mean that to quote the Bible. I mean you seriously think it is laughable nonsense …off in the OT and then in NT and has nothing to offer.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how was it that your thread is asking what His answer meant?
My thread is about the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus

My first question is what did Jesus mean when he said one must be born again..

then I went on to give an answer..

Then I asked many other questions after this,

and went on to give an answer.

I would like to discuss my answers. and if people agree with them or if they do not.

I’ve been thinking about how we throw around the word “simple”… it is not simple at all to not be children in maliciousness, or it is not simple to be children not in malice. That(not malicious) is foreign. We throw around the word “simple” as Jesus didn’t complicate things…what is…told unto you in parables? “you must drink My blood and eat My flesh” …what does that have to do with your response? Because you keep saying I over complicate what is simple. As you said “not to be rude but I will never understand your response.” Is that true? Because it sure feels rude as in “why can’t you understand something so simple and direct?”
What happens is people take things that are simple. and make them complicated.

Eat flesh and blood. yues to the unlearned it is nto simple. but to those who have studied, you will see it is not very hard at all.. It is the food which endures to eternal life. It is the bread from heaven. It is the words of Christ.

He used those terms so the people who would never believe would mock.. But jesus did not say you could not understand it. They should have understood it LONG before Jesus said flesh and blood.

Sadly. the church turned it into a pagan ceremony, and it does nto even Give what Jesus promised to ALL who ate it

Yes. But again…if it’s so simple then why doesn’t anyone agree over his direct answer?
Pride?

The jew knew the OT..

yet they crucified Jesus

why?

Pride!

Paul warned the church about those who would be decieved from the corruption that turns people away from the simplicity of Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

So when someone or a group take things that seem so simple. and go out of their way to make it complicated. that is a red flag to me. I would hope it would be to everyone..

That is because it all helps as the Old Testament spoke of the One who is giving a direct answer. YET even Nicodemus is asking what the answer means. As all of Jesus Disciples ask Him repeatedly what it was He was saying. He would answer their questions. And they would ask “what?” And He asked “does it still not make sense to you?”

Don’t bring Epi or “as did his Lauren” into our conversation. They are not in this conversation between you and I …what is the motive for drawing them in? Is it to goad them? Or me?

I’ve tried …I’ve tried my best to share with you what it means to me. I’ve even acknowledged it is all just an opinion. I’ve tried to answer your questions as you said you asked what Jesus meant when he said those things…but you haven’t heard it. You won’t because anything I have to share is foolishness to you. I don’t mean that to quote the Bible. I mean you seriously think it is laughable nonsense …off in the OT and then in NT and has nothing to offer.
I bring epi and Lauren in because you all have the same answers.. And if I remember right, awhile back, did you not claim you followed Epi?

I am trying to help you.

You came and you wanted to discuss what John 3 says.

So lets discuss what Jesus said..

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I bring epi and Lauren in because you all have the same answers..
I didn’t know that. I was only sharing what the word says to me. In the beginning I saw God as a sexist glory seeking Tyrant. Wholeheartedly. But I’d been in churches and what I heard …I never took the time to read the word for myself. It took a long time of my asking God “why do you hate me? Is it because I’m a woman?” Now that does sound insane. It took a long time of reading to figure out why God hated me as I’d come to believe. Epi wasn’t there. he doesn’t read the word with me or nor do I know him other than our interactions on the board. About as well as I know you. Would you claim I follow you?
And if I remember right, awhile back, did you not claim you followed Epi?
Never said that. So you’re remembering it wrong.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t know that. I was only sharing what the word says to me. In the beginning I saw God as a sexist glory seeking Tyrant. Wholeheartedly. But I’d been in churches and what I heard …I never took the time to read the word for myself. It took a long time of my asking God “why do you hate me? Is it because I’m a woman?” Now that does sound insane. It took a long time of reading to figure out why God hated me as I’d come to believe. Epi wasn’t there. he doesn’t read the word with me or nor do I know him other than our interactions on the board. About as well as I know you. Would you claim I follow you?

Never said that. So you’re remembering it wrong.
Forgive me then, I have you confused with someone else..I humbly apologize.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgive me then, I have you confused with someone else..I humbly apologize.
Me too. I apologize because that was rude me to say “so you’re remembering it wrong.” I felt bad after because I should not attack your memory and saying I never said that was enough. I think the more you and I disagree…the further we get from the answers Jesus Christ gave to Nicodemus. I’m no longer replying but leaving the thread, because I think enough has been said between us.

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:1-8~"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus"~I have pondered these scriptures many times over since I first read them as a young man in my mid twenties back fifty years ago. I consider this section of God's word one of the most important section in the NT.

We see this much different than most, so I ask our reader to bare with us, and please consider carefully what we will say.

Nicodemus is known by all who read the scriptures, many look at him as a lost man coming to Jesus, and Jesus sending him aways with those thundering words~Ye must be born again, as though Jesus was attempting to get Nicodemus to see his need for him to get born again~yet we know that this is not case, not even close.

"The same came to Jesus by night"~Why He came by night we are not told, we just assume that he did so, for more of a private meeting with Jesus apart from the other Pharisees knowing what he was doing, but truly it makes no difference as to why he came by night. What is important his what he said when he came, and what Jesus said back to him.

To fully understand the message God intended for us to receive we must follow the flow of the context in order to understand what is being said~context is king, and it will drive the interpretation for us, if we pay close attention to the context of this discourse.

"and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him"~The first thing we want our readers to take notice of is this: consider the words of Nicodemus, they are the words coming from a person who has child like faith in Jesus Christ~We know....no man can do....EXCEPT....Nicodemus' confession is as strong as mine, yours or any other born again child of God! Also, his confession is totally opposite of what other Pharisees said of Jesus who accused him of being demon possessed doing miracles by the power of the prince of the devil, Beelzebub.....

Nicodemus certainly was not against Jesus proven by the fact he came to him and even made a true, and godly confession concerning him.

Jesus' words to him is what I want my readers to consider carefully when I return back shortly.......

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stay with the flow of the context and it will drive our understanding to the truth of what is being taught in this discourse.

Based upon Nicodemus' godly confession, jesus came back with these words to him.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"~Nicodemus' confession in verse two proved that that he did see and so Jesus said except a man be born again he ......cannot see.....the kingdom of God...or, the spiritual truths be whatever they may be concerning Jesus Christ and his kingdom.

Jesus was not trying to get Nicodemus born again or, for him see his need to be born again, but he was revealing a biblical truth that if a man can see with strong confidence that Jesus Christ is from God, with an humble spirit that man IS ALREADY BORN OF GOD! PLease stay with us and see if this is not so.

I would not look down on Nicodemus' ignorance of spiritual truths, for we all have been there, and still are in certain arear if the truth was known which God does know of all of us. Jesus used he words born again, and we know thsi by the question that Nicodemus asked him in verse four.

Based upon Nicodemus' question, Jesus said these words we have now before us~if Nicodemus had not ask his question in the manner in which he did, Jesus would have never mention water, and we know this by the very fact that water is not mention again by Jesus when explaining the new birth

Water in John 3:5 is speaking of one's natural birth from his mother's womb, it is as Jesus called it born of flesh!

Born of the Spirit of God is what causes one to be able to SEE, HEAR, and believe and in that order. Jesus used a double verily in saying that one MUST be born of the Spirit before any spiritual activity can occur. Just as it is in our natural birth, and in both birth man is totally passive, and just as helpless, without any strength to birth oneself, or even help.

We will come back and look at the remaining verses dealing with the means and evidence of the new birth.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When Jesus was explaining to Nicodemus about the wind, this is what he meant ,the Holy Spirit is like the wind, he is everywhere, you can’t see him and you don’t know where he is going,.

What this means to a Born Again is, the Holy Spirit is like the wind, because he can turn up whenever he chooses ,and none of us knows what direction he is headed in, he can and does have huge impact in a persons life, just like the wind can, it can cause waves in the sea,etc,..so, when we become Born Again of Gods seed, we have no idea when he decides to Baptise us in the Spirit/ regenerate/ Born of the Spirit ....and when he does it has a huge impact on us, because at Baptism we have received that new nature in Christ./ new heart and Spirit within...the Holy Spirit lives in our spirit, very simple to understand.
Flesh gives birth to flesh= human birth.

Spirit gives birth to spirit = Spiritual rebirth..only God can do this.

Unfortunately for some imo they wrongly interpret this scripture imo,I think they call it easy beleiveism...there is much more to being Born Again of imperishable seed than just belief, we must be Born Again ,our spirit is Born Again as we have no idea when the Holy Spirit will turn up or we don’t know where he goes...because he’s like the wind...that is my belief and testimony...

John 3​

King James Version​

3 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit

Red Baker

Jan 10, 2024
Easley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 6 is nothing more than a commentary on verse five. Again, the flow of the context is so important for any person seeking to understand what is being said. This is not too deep.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh~ "is water" in the previous verse, it is our natural birth into this world a question concerning which Nicodemus asked Jesus in verse four.

that which is born of the Spirit is spirit~or, is spiritual in nature.

Jesus is not saying in verse 6 that it is our personal spirit that is born of God, that's not what is being said, but that which is born of the flesh IS FLESH, that will never change~but that which is born of the Spirit, is spiritual allowing that person to see, hear and understand~but, we all must admit, our understanding is slow coming, it is not instantly full blown light...Nicodemus is a perfect picture of this truth.

Poor old Nicodemus, was marveling over Jesus' words to him and did not fully grasp what he was saying~so the Lord proceeded to give an example of how the Spirit regenerates a sinner.

The wind bloweth where it listeth, or where it so please to blow~just as God's Spirit does.....man cannot perceive when the wind comes and when the wind leaves, so is every sinner that is born of God, it is unseen to the naked eye when it is happening. Man could be sound asleep, working, making love to their spouse ( since all things are naked and open unho the eyes of God ) actually, one could be doing just about anything under heaven, since God does not need to get us in a certain state of mind, all sinners are dead in sins and trespasses.

Though we cannot not see the wind, we can and do see the effects of the wind, just as in NIcodemus' life we see evidence of him being born already of God before he ever talk personally to him.

Later.....

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nicodemus had no understanding of what Jesus was explaining, he had no understanding of spiritual matters, as he answered back to Jesus saying, 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

Therefore he was not Born Again he was still in the flesh....Being Born Of The Spirit..is understood in spirit not in the human flesh...or the carnal mind, they have no understanding of spiritual matters..it is foolishness to them.therefore void of Gods Spirit....

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had many disciples that were Pharisee's That's why Nicodemus said" Rabbi "we know'. There were many, and old Nicky drew the straw that he was going to visit Jesus and ask the questions that all the "learned" Pharisee's wanted to know. I believe Nicodemus hurried back to tell the others.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:1-8~"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus"~I have pondered these scriptures many times over since I first read them as a young man in my mid twenties back fifty years ago. I consider this section of God's word one of the most important section in the NT.

We see this much different than most, so I ask our reader to bare with us, and please consider carefully what we will say.

Nicodemus is known by all who read the scriptures, many look at him as a lost man coming to Jesus, and Jesus sending him aways with those thundering words~Ye must be born again, as though Jesus was attempting to get Nicodemus to see his need for him to get born again~yet we know that this is not case, not even close.

"The same came to Jesus by night"~Why He came by night we are not told, we just assume that he did so, for more of a private meeting with Jesus apart from the other Pharisees knowing what he was doing, but truly it makes no difference as to why he came by night. What is important his what he said when he came, and what Jesus said back to him.

To fully understand the message God intended for us to receive we must follow the flow of the context in order to understand what is being said~context is king, and it will drive the interpretation for us, if we pay close attention to the context of this discourse.

"and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him"~The first thing we want our readers to take notice of is this: consider the words of Nicodemus, they are the words coming from a person who has child like faith in Jesus Christ~We know....no man can do....EXCEPT....Nicodemus' confession is as strong as mine, yours or any other born again child of God! Also, his confession is totally opposite of what other Pharisees said of Jesus who accused him of being demon possessed doing miracles by the power of the prince of the devil, Beelzebub.....

Nicodemus certainly was not against Jesus proven by the fact he came to him and even made a true, and godly confession concerning him.

Jesus' words to him is what I want my readers to consider carefully when I return back shortly.......
One thing to remember.

He said we know you are a teach come from God.

He did not yet know he was the messiah..

So i agree. he was searching, with child like faith..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stay with the flow of the context and it will drive our understanding to the truth of what is being taught in this discourse.

Based upon Nicodemus' godly confession, jesus came back with these words to him.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"~Nicodemus' confession in verse two proved that that he did see and so Jesus said except a man be born again he ......cannot see.....the kingdom of God...or, the spiritual truths be whatever they may be concerning Jesus Christ and his kingdom.

Jesus was not trying to get Nicodemus born again or, for him see his need to be born again, but he was revealing a biblical truth that if a man can see with strong confidence that Jesus Christ is from God, with an humble spirit that man IS ALREADY BORN OF GOD! PLease stay with us and see if this is not so.

I would not look down on Nicodemus' ignorance of spiritual truths, for we all have been there, and still are in certain arear if the truth was known which God does know of all of us. Jesus used he words born again, and we know thsi by the question that Nicodemus asked him in verse four.

Based upon Nicodemus' question, Jesus said these words we have now before us~if Nicodemus had not ask his question in the manner in which he did, Jesus would have never mention water, and we know this by the very fact that water is not mention again by Jesus when explaining the new birth

Water in John 3:5 is speaking of one's natural birth from his mother's womb, it is as Jesus called it born of flesh!

Born of the Spirit of God is what causes one to be able to SEE, HEAR, and believe and in that order. Jesus used a double verily in saying that one MUST be born of the Spirit before any spiritual activity can occur. Just as it is in our natural birth, and in both birth man is totally passive, and just as helpless, without any strength to birth oneself, or even help.

We will come back and look at the remaining verses dealing with the means and evidence of the new birth.
I agree here also

except the part that says being born again is what causes one to be able to see hear and believe.

I believe you will see as you go forward. It our seeing, hearing and believing that causes God to heal them, and make them alive spiritually. hence to be born again

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 6 is nothing more than a commentary on verse five. Again, the flow of the context is so important for any person seeking to understand what is being said. This is not too deep.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh~ "is water" in the previous verse, it is our natural birth into this world a question concerning which Nicodemus asked Jesus in verse four.

that which is born of the Spirit is spirit~or, is spiritual in nature.
amen
Jesus is not saying in verse 6 that it is our personal spirit that is born of God, that's not what is being said, but that which is born of the flesh IS FLESH, that will never change~but that which is born of the Spirit, is spiritual allowing that person to see, hear and understand~but, we all must admit, our understanding is slow coming, it is not instantly full blown light...Nicodemus is a perfect picture of this truth.
Again, Be careful. Your getting things backwards here
Poor old Nicodemus, was marveling over Jesus' words to him and did not fully grasp what he was saying~so the Lord proceeded to give an example of how the Spirit regenerates a sinner.

The wind bloweth where it listeth, or where it so please to blow~just as God's Spirit does.....man cannot perceive when the wind comes and when the wind leaves, so is every sinner that is born of God, it is unseen to the naked eye when it is happening. Man could be sound asleep, working, making love to their spouse ( since all things are naked and open unho the eyes of God ) actually, one could be doing just about anything under heaven, since God does not need to get us in a certain state of mind, all sinners are dead in sins and trespasses.

Though we cannot not see the wind, we can and do see the effects of the wind, just as in NIcodemus' life we see evidence of him being born already of God before he ever talk personally to him.

Later.....
So you think he was already born again?