Judas; Hung or Stabbed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Skeptics often point-out this contradiction to claim the bible is fallible. I found a link which presented an alternative theory, which makes sense to me. The description of his suicide differs, but both could be accurate?

"And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself" (Matthew 27:5)

"Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out" (Acts 1:18).

Ancient terminology did not recognize “hanging” just as hanging from a rope, but as hanging on anything. For instance, it is said accurately that Jesus was “hung” on a tree, even though he was nailed there. I believe Judas hung himself not with a rope around his neck, but by impaling himself on a pike causing his intestines to spill-out which in ancient terminology would have been referred to as “Judas hanging himself.” The bible isn't specific, but it says Judas fell headlong, not as a person falling feet-first from a rope. So its likely he secured a spear into the ground, piled up some stones, and jumped/fell headfirst, thus making Matthew and Acts correct.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/649434

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
I THINK in the hot sun he bloated as he may have been there a long long time and when they finaly run across and cut him down
they did not even want to touch his body as it was really stinky ripe and well on its way to decomposistion . He more than likly fell on a low limb and came out of the tree head first and when his body hit the ground it just exploded with all the gas built up inside and his intestines spilt out on the ground.
i think people have been tying stuff around their necks to commit suicide long befoe the great flood.
simply because its a common sence way to try to get rid of your self .it just takes some sort of clothing or cord to do it.

JESUS EVEN SAYS in the case of some little tot being led away from Jesus by some adult it would be better for that person to have had a rope tied around their neck and --------------well you know the verse.

just wanted to say in this area i do beleive i have a edge over the fellow you linked to simply because ive seen more dead creatures fall out of trees than he ever has ..I run tree hounds as a big game guide for more than tweny years .. i might not know much but i know what i know :D

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I dont suggest this gives us an escape from the snag ..... but there were others involved ...... ie: .... "them that took Jesus" ... which refers to the Chief priests .... who took the money and bought the plot.

And KJV says "Now this Man" instead of naming Judas specifically

KJV 16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. 17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. 18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

And then there are some translations that put the whole quote from acts in [brackets] .... which sometimes indicates it was an addition by a scribe

I do not pretend to know the answer myself , just wanted to throw that into the mix.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
horsecamp said:
I THINK in the hot sun he bloated as he may have been there a long long time and when they finaly run across and cut him down
they did not even want to touch his body as it was really stinky ripe and well on its way to decomposistion . He more than likly fell on a low limb and came out of the tree head first and when his body hit the ground it just exploded with all the gas built up inside and his intestines spilt out on the ground.
i think people have been tying stuff around their necks to commit suicide long befoe the great flood.
simply because its a common sence way to try to get rid of your self .it just takes some sort of clothing or cord to do it.

JESUS EVEN SAYS in the case of some little tot being led away from Jesus by some adult it would be better for that person to have had a rope tied around their neck and --------------well you know the verse.

just wanted to say in this area i do beleive i have a edge over the fellow you linked to simply because ive seen more dead creatures fall out of trees than he ever has ..I run tree hounds as a big game guide for more than tweny years .. i might not know much but i know what i know :D
Very good question and it seems you may be correct. There are many words in the KJV that are Greek to us(Pardon the pun), meaning in our day has a different meaning than they did in their day. Such as the word doctor in our day means a man who heals but in Jesus's day meant a Rabbi or Teacher of the law that tells us not to sin to keep us healthy.
This is one reason why I do not look to any other translation than the KJV, for the more easier to swallow translations have adopted today's meaning of certain words that interfere with the TRUTH of the Word as it was intended.... and to the error and destruction of many.

But I now have another question about Judas, was Judas saved?

Matt 27:3-5
3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.
5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
KJV

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
afaithfulone4u said:
This is one reason why I do not look to any other translation than the KJV, for the more easier to swallow translations have adopted today's meaning of certain words that interfere with the TRUTH of the Word as it was intended.... and to the error and destruction of many.
Now, that there is what I call "begging the question". The KJV is not the standard for comparison. The Hebrew and Greek texts are the standards for comparison.

And then there are some translations that put the whole quote from acts in [brackets] .... which sometimes indicates it was an addition by a scribe
Actually, the verses are put in parentheses, which is a common occurrence in the New Testament, and no, they do not indicate an addition by a scribe. Even the KJV has some verses in parentheses.

As for Dan57's suggestion in the OP, I have no biblical reason to dispute it. English translations (including the KJV) of the Greek texts don't always give precise translations of what is said in the Greek. That is because some Koiné Greek words do not have precise English equivalents.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most say after he hung himself the rope broke and he fell into rocks causing this in Acts.