Just heard about the rosary....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
It is extremely significant that Mary is not mentioned at all, after Acts 1:14. There is absolutely no mention of her. Roman 16:6 does say "Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us", but there is no way to know if this was Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Acts 1:14 depicts Mary praying along with all her brethren in prayer and supplication to God. No, one appears to be asking Mary to intercede for them. Mary herself, was making prayer and supplication and notice, Jesus' brethren (brothers) were too. The Bible does not give Mary the spiritually prominent position that the Catholic church gives her. She is just another follower of Christ making prayer and supplication to Him.

Acts 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

It is the Spirit of God within us that makes supplication on our behalf, that leads us how to pray, and that prays through us with "groanings that cannot be uttered". I am sure the Holy Spirit within us is not praying to Mary, in "any way", differently or not.

Mary cannot hear our prayers because she is not omnipresent. Only God is and God sent the Holy Spirit to live within us, not Mary so we commune with God who is with us each day and we call upon the ONE who said, "He will never leave us nor forsake us".

Axehead

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
once upon a time when i was religious, i prayed to saints and the rosary, then i lost my religion and found faith. Now I look back and cant understand why i did what i did. But then i was young and just did what mum did, tradition. Then i think back to those days when someone would have and argument with friend and so refused to talks to them instead they would go to an inbetweener. Hey george can you tell mark im not talking to him any more, hey george can you tell jerry i can hear him. I wonder if Jesus had offended so many that they wont talk to Him, or is it they think that if they manipulate Him by using someone else they will get what they want. See Jesus and God are not deaf, they can hear you. cant you see .

Mat_7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Yes ask HIm, not ask someone else to ask Him.

Lets see know,

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Isnt Jesus enough for christians??

In all His Love

Axehead

May 9, 2012
once upon a time when i was religious, i prayed to saints and the rosary, then i lost my religion and found faith. Now I look back and cant understand why i did what i did. But then i was young and just did what mum did, tradition. Then i think back to those days when someone would have and argument with friend and so refused to talks to them instead they would go to an inbetweener. Hey george can you tell mark im not talking to him any more, hey george can you tell jerry i can hear him. I wonder if Jesus had offended so many that they wont talk to Him, or is it they think that if they manipulate Him by using someone else they will get what they want. See Jesus and God are not deaf, they can hear you. cant you see .

Mat_7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Lets see know,

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Isn't Jesus enough for christians??

In all His Love

"Isn't Jesus enough for christians"? He should be more than enough. No one loves us like He does. While we were yet sinners He died for us. I once thought of a project that I wanted to do and still will do someday. I want to list all the Roman Catholic Saints that are called upon for specific "specialtys" and show in the Bible, why Jesus has all those "specialties" taken care of. He is the source. Jesus Christ is the focal point of the Father's plan, of the universe and of eternity. There is no one else like Him. Calling on anyone else is an affront to God.

God says, "This is my beloved Son, listen to Him".

Luke 9:35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Interestingly, the context for Luke 9:35 was the transfiguration of Christ where Moses and Elijah appeared with Him and Peter wanted to build tabernacles for Jesus and Moses and Elijah and was mildly corrected by the Father's voice. Here is Matthew 17. The Father says listen to Jesus and that He is well pleased with Jesus. That's good enough for me!!

Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Will men never learn?

Axehead

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Lets see know,

Isnt Jesus enough for christians??

In all His Love

"Pray also for me, so that when I speak, a message may be given to me to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it boldly, as I must speak." (Eph 6:19-20)

"At the same time pray for us as well....." (Col 4:3)

"Beloved, pray for us." (1Thess 5:25)

"Finally, brothers and sister, pray for us....." (2 Thess 3:1)

“Pray for us; we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honourably in all things.” (Heb 13:18)

Wasn't Jesus enough for Paul?

-- Hmmmm....A human being attempting to speak with a spirit in Heaven --- stay with me here --- is NOT a supernatural conversation?
A mortal, conversing with a spirit on a different reality / plane / level / sphere......is NOT a supernatural conversation?
Wow, who knew?

Not a conversation no.

It is a simple, request to a Saint alive in heaven.

Pray means ask
Notwithstanding, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. (Acts 24:4 - KJV).

-- You've provided no "evidence." only opinion.
You praise HER
You say the Lord is with HER
You say blessed is SHE
You tell HER the fruit of HER womb is blessed
You call HER holy
You ask HER to pray for you

You are offering focused praise and worship to Mary on top of the request she pray for you.

Nope, I quote from scripture and address her asking for her prayers.

If you want her to pray for you like you do the saints, then by your own words you are NOT praying to her.
But since you are doing more than just "asking a friend" to pray for you, you are PRAYING to her.

Don’t try and impose your definitions on me.

I can perfectly well address Mary and give her the honour that is due to her and then ask her for her prayers for me.

Pray means ask:
Notwithstanding, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. (Acts 24:4 - KJV).

He has already promised that he is right there in the room with you and that he "inhabits our praise," so when you worship He is present.

A God that geographically close, loving, and intimate who already knows your heart and every desire does not need you worshipping His mother before or instead of speaking to Him.

We don’t worship Mary, we honour her as she deserves.

It is extremely significant that Mary is not mentioned at all, after Acts 1:14. There is absolutely no mention of her. Roman 16:6 does say "Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us", but there is no way to know if this was Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Axehead

Why is it extremely significant?

And what about the significance of what went before?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Lol. :D

Hey Mungo, no need to go ad homin. I could reply, but I believe there are others doing that. I've done debates long enough to know that some 'challenges' are pointless. I've read your exposition about prayer and the meaning. My initial thoughts are this: a whole lot of show, but no actual point.
Who cares about the definition of prayer, if the Bible condemns talking to those who have passed on? That pretty much settles it.
Your verses about Paul asking others to pray for him, don't prove a thing, yet you cling to them like they're so precious. Paul was alive, and the saints were NOT praying TO him, they were praying FOR him. There is a world of a difference between FOR and TO. What do you know about the afterlife? Nothing, really. So why the heck do we pray to the dead to pray for us?! Since that is seemingly what is being advocated. We don't know a thing about what happens in the beyond until we're there.
Where in Scripture are we told to pray TO someone other than God? NOWHERE! We're told to pray FOR people who are still alive, but we are NEVER told to pray TO one who is dead. TO and FOR are completely different words.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lol. :D

Hey Mungo, no need to go ad homin.

I haven’t

I could reply, but I believe there are others doing that. I've done debates long enough to know that some 'challenges' are pointless. I've read your exposition about prayer and the meaning. My initial thoughts are this: a whole lot of show, but no actual point.
Who cares about the definition of prayer, if the Bible condemns talking to those who have passed on? That pretty much settles it.

Understanding the meaning of words is important. If you don't know what words mean then literally you don't know what you are talking about.

The Bible doesn’t condemn asking those who are in heaven to pray for us.

Your verses about Paul asking others to pray for him, don't prove a thing, yet you cling to them like they're so precious. Paul was alive, and the saints were NOT praying TO him, they were praying FOR him.

EXACTLY!

Paul was asking the saints to pray FOR him.

We ask the Saints in heaven to pray FOR us.

What do you know about the afterlife? Nothing, really.

I know what the Bible tells me and it tells me there are people in heaven offering our prayers before the throne of God.

If you don't want to believe the BIble then so be it.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I haven’t

Understanding the meaning of words is important. If you don't know what words mean then literally you don't know what you are talking about.

The Bible doesn’t condemn asking those who are in heaven to pray for us.

EXACTLY!

I know what the Bible tells me and it tells me there are people in heaven offering our prayers before the throne of God.

If you don't want to believe the BIble then so be it.

Let me re-phrase your statement to make it more accurate.

Paul asked living saints to pray to Jesus FOR him, as intercession.
We ask dead saints to pray to Jesus for us.

Show me some examples in the Bible of Christians praying to those dead to pray for them!

The Bible not outright condemn your doctrine, just like it doesn't outright condemn looking at millions of pixels that make up a nude woman having sex. But I think you know that the latter is far from correct. Stop with this, it doesn't condemn it. How about proving that it even HAPPENED in Scripture? And not some flat verse like Paul asking a church (of whom the members were OBVIOUSLY alive) to pray for him. But something that actually proves what you are preaching?

I don't think I'm the one denying Scripture. You walk forward with your opinion, but yet you cannot prove it. You can't prove that it happened, except in occultic seances (Saul attempting to get in touch with God through Samuel), and yet you have the gall to preach that as a Scriptural doctrine of Christianity!

Where are these deceased people who offer prayers to God for those still living? Where in the Scripture do I find that?!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let me re-phrase your statement to make it more accurate.

Paul asked living saints to pray to Jesus FOR him, as intercession.
We ask dead saints to pray to Jesus for us.

That’s not more accurate. Here is the accurate version:

Show me some examples in the Bible of Christians praying to those dead to pray for them!

Why?

I don’t accept your illogical sola scriptura praxis.

You say show me in the Bible.
Well you show me where in the Bible it says everything has to be explicitly stated in the Bible

The Bible not outright condemn your doctrine, just like it doesn't outright condemn looking at millions of pixels that make up a nude woman having sex. But I think you know that the latter is far from correct. Stop with this, it doesn't condemn it.

There is no comparison whatsoever between the two. To suggest so is grotesque.

Let me put the argument to you as simply as I can.

There are many examples in scripture of people asking other to pray for them, and of praying for others.

We believe Mary and the Saints are as alive and available to us as anyone still on this earth. We believe that those who have gone before us into heaven are one with us. They are all part of the one body of which Christ is the head. Christ does not have two bodies, one in heaven and one on earth.
“For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.” (1 Cor 12:12-13).

When they died to this life they did not cease to exist, their souls did not cease to be one with Christ, to be part of his body.
“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Rom 8:38-39)

Jesus uses the image of the vine, with us as the branches.
“Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” (John 15:4-7)
Those saints who die to this life are not cut off from Christ and thrown into the fire. They are still abiding in Christ and still bearing much fruit. Jesus still doing for them whatever they ask.

“The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective” (Jas 5:16).
Those in heaven are righteous & therefore their prayers powerful and effective.

We know that our prayers are being offered before the Lamb and the throne in heaven.
“When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” (Rev 5:8)

“Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne.” (Rev 8:3)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I still dont understand,If you can speak directly to Jesus, who is the one with all the answers, who is the one that saves. what good is praying to saints, Mind you it is only Jesus and the Holy Spirit that the bible speaks of whom intercede for us, why all the extra overheads, why not Christ alone???

“The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective” (Jas 5:16).
Those in heaven are righteous & therefore their prayers powerful and effective.

We know that our prayers are being offered before the Lamb and the throne in heaven.
“When he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” (Rev 5:8)

“Another angel with a golden censer came and stood at the altar; he was given a great quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar that is before the throne.” (Rev 8:3)

He is not talking of saints in heaven, but those whom He has called still here on this earth, who daily cry out to Him. our prayers.

In all His Love

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Mungo,

I'm way behind but want to add some more responses.

For those that say we cannot pray TO another human being I posted the following explanation earlier in this thread (post #227)

We can correctly say both "Catholics do pray to Mary" and "Catholics don’t pray to Mary"

I don't know why it doesn't bother you to make a statement as contradictory as that last line.

What is the point in praying to Mary, when you can go straight to Father in heaven - if you know Him?

Then, what is the point in saying 'Catholics don't pray to Mary'? To appease Protestant sensibilities?

We would not be having this discussion if it were not for your desire to promote the fact that Catholics do pray to Mary, even though, having lived her life on earth she is fallen asleep in Jesus until the resurrection, and as such, has less power to influence heaven now, than you do through appropriate prayer.

Jesus made clear that anyone can have as much power as Mary did, by doing the will of God. He also made clear that we can know the will of God, and pray according to the will of God, and, Father never sleeps. Psa 121:4.

The use of the word 'pray', as it can be addressed to another person as in Old English, really doesn't justify praying to Mary. Of course it means something similar to praying to Father, but the scriptural reasons for praying to God are many and very specific. You probably need to dig out a Hebrew lexicon and study all the various words for 'praise', for instance. And read Romans 1 to see how important is thanksgiving directly to God. Jesus taught us this:

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Matt 7:11.

Another curious thing about Protestants is that they have special Bibles that have extra words in them, particularly the words only and alone. Hence in their BIbles they find the phrases "faith alone" or "scripture alone" that do not appear in regular Bibles.

If any Bible has had words added - or removed - it's the New Jerusalem Bible. Please find a handful of these references to 'faith alone' and 'scripture alone', for me, because they aren't in my KJV. Thanks. ;)

Those are examples of what you think prayer is. They are not a definition of "pray".

No. They are direct references to effective praying - more like a visual aid than a 'definition'.

These arguments are another example of Protestants attempts at cultural imperialism. Not only do Protestants try to insist that we argue from their truncated Bible, and that only, but they try to insist that we adhere to their particular definitions of words.

Ha! 'cultural imperialism'? Are you serious? You've been listening to too much Catholic dogma!

Groundzero,
Ummm, how about showing me where the heck we are told to talk to people who have deceased? As far as I understood, this was generally achieved through a seance, and God made it pretty clear what he thought of such activity. :/

Mungo,
Praying to Mary and the Saints in heaven is not done through a seance so nothing wrong there then.

Mungo, I think you're missing the point here. First of all, Mary and special 'Saints' have no power to command God any more, and secondly, we are instructed to pray to God Himself. Isa 45:11, 22, John 16:23.

Foreigner,
-- I almost spit out my Coke laughing when I read this, GZ.

I made this VERY point as a seventh grader in Catholic school and was punished. Thankfully, they quit hitting us with the wooden rods after fifth grade.

I pointed out that when you are attempting to contact a non-living being who is NOT God and who has lived as a human on earth in the past, that is a textbook definition of attempting a seance, regardless of the motivation.

I was yelled at by the nun teaching the class, and sent down to the principal's office where the assistance principal continued to yell.
The principal, sent me home and demanded I write an apology to the teacher and students before I would be re-admitted.

My father would have nothing of it and left work to march over to school and lit up the principal like a Christmat tree stating that it was their job to teach me and if my statement was incorrect, they should be able to correct me. Not expell me.

He said that WAS the definition of a seance, and if interaction with the saints in heaven and Mary was different, they should be able to explain the difference to me.

I was allowed to return to class with a stern warning that while in the classroom I was not allowed to speak unless it was to answer a direct question from the teacher.

I'm sorry to hear about the rods. Thank you for sharing this. It is a powerful statement.

The Church today still forbids all such use of mediums, spiritualist or any other method of conjuring up spirits from the dead, for we do not know what spirits we are dealing with.

But with the saints, those who have died in Christ, it is not the same. They are alive in Christ as part of the one body. Moreover we do not “communicate” in the same way as is forbidden in the OT. We ask them for their intercession, not for them to talk to us. We are just asking them for their prayers and help, though Christ, our one Lord. The saints can aid us with their prayer precisely because they are deeply united to Christ in heaven.

You really don't seem to understand that we have no choice about 'how' we pray, or to whom. Either we pray to God, according to God's will, or, He will tell us one day, 'Depart from me you workers of iniquity'.

Doesn't that alarm you slightly?

And we do pray differently to Mary. I have given you all the evidence. You just choose to ignore it.

No, Mungo. There is no evidence for praying to Mary, or saints, at all, in all of scripture.

What you are saying is that because Protestants define a word in a certain way then Catholics must accept their definitions and only use the word in that way. That is very arrogant.

It shows that are not here for a serious discussion but just for Catholic bashing.

Dear Mungo,

Please feel free to lead by example, in the non-bashing of Protestants. The more scripture you bring to your arguments, the more seriously you will be taken. But Catholic double-speak such as you posted as if it deserves the full credulity of serious BIble students, can be left out of the equation, (as it does your cause no favours).

Understanding the meaning of words is important.

And that's why the Bible takes precedence over 'oral tradition'.

How do you know they are praying what you asked them to pray? The best you can do is keep your fingers crossed that
they remembered everything. After all, you're not the only person asking for prayer, and they're only human. Isn't that why God - whose capacity is thousands of times more than humans' - tells us to pray to Himself directly?

Again I say that we have more power with God than those who have died.

I would settle for five chapter and verses on this one? Four? Three? Seriously, are there any?

I don’t accept your illogical sola scriptura praxis.

You say show me in the Bible.
Well you show me where in the Bible it says everything has to be explicitly stated in the Bible

Brother, that reason is not going to hold water in the presence of the Lord: Matt 7:24. Do you know that 24 is the number of worship? That's an interesting confluence of ideas: the word and worship.

It is obvious that everything which pertains to faith and godliness, is already in scripture. Don't you think that something as fundamental to God's relationship with man as prayer, hasn't been sprinkled liberally throughout scripture going back all the way to Genesis? And that the omissions are deliberate?

Does your describing a legitimate request for verses to prove your doctrine is Biblical, as 'illogical', pass for academic rigour? I don't think so! If you don't have 'evidence' from scripture, you don't have evidence.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture
[is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable
for doctrine,
for reproof,
for correction,
for instruction in righteousness.

What this means is, you can correct all the things you thought you had to do and believe, simply by reading scripture and retaining only the practices written there. That would be logical.

Have you ever counted the times 'doctrine' and 'teach' appear in the New Testament?

Just out of interest, I thought I'd look up what the New Jerusalem Bible has put for 2 Timothy 3:16. It's quite helpful, as it misses out at least half the verse. Here it is:

'All scripture is inspired by God, and is useful for refuting error, for guiding people's lives and teaching them to be upright.'

There is a footnote beside 'useful', which directs me to this wonderfully ambiguous statement:

'Or (less probably) 'all scripture that is inspired by God ... ' (Vulg). This affirmation about the inspiration of the OT, cf 2 P 1:21, probably includes some Christian writings also. It is by assiduously studying scripture that the Christian nourishes faith and apostolic zeal vv 15 - 17.'

'probably includes some Christian writings also'. It does? Where does the Bible say that? There is no hint in any of the Old or New Testaments, that other writings carry a similar validity. The word of God has always been in a class of its own. Jesus, and the prophets and His apostles were very clear about that.

In the previous footnote, 2 Pet 3:16 was mentioned - the verse which says:

As also in all [his = Paul's] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, to their own destruction.

The footnote fails to point out that Peter is declaring Paul's writings to be 'scripture' also, in the New Covenant era.

Seems like a missed opportunty!

I hope you see why I mentioned that about 2 Pet 3:16 - because Peter seemed to think it matters.

And if he's right, then NT writings are a more cogent definition of 'praxis' than either 'some Christian writings' or, 'oral tradition'.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When did the truth become catholic bashing, Jesus spoke the truth and look what happened to Him, yes the religious had a habit of taking offense to Jesus when He spoke the truth,

In All His Love

Reactions: dragonfly

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I still dont understand,If you can speak directly to Jesus, who is the one with all the answers, who is the one that saves. what good is praying to saints, Mind you it is only Jesus and the Holy Spirit that the bible speaks of whom intercede for us, why all the extra overheads, why not Christ alone???

Why ask anyone for prayer then?

Why pray for anyone? Why not tell them to go direct to Jesus?

Why did Paul ask people to pray for him? Why did Paul not go direct to Jesus?

He is not talking of saints in heaven, but those whom He has called still here on this earth, who daily cry out to Him. our prayers.

In all His Love

Revelation is showing that the prayers of those here are on earth are presented to the Lamb and before God’s throne by intermediaries.

Those in heaven are presenting OUR prayers to God.

Dragonfly,

Do you seriously expect me to sort through that mess of your last post (#351) ?

If you would care to make it intelligible I will respond to it.

Mungo

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation is showing that the prayers of those here are on earth are presented to the Lamb and before God’s throne by intermediaries.

Those in heaven are presenting OUR prayers to God.

I quiet agree, there is a big difference in praying for, and presenting.

We ask the Saints in heaven to pray FOR us

There is nothing wrong in asking others to pray for you, i just have no need. Jesus knows my every thought, my every deed, my every prayer my every need. I know He hears me, again He isnt deaf neither is God. I pray for my children, and for all Gods children, but my prayers my conversation is with Jesus. Intercession, standing in between, that is what the Holy spirit does for us, its those who are not saved that we pray for.

In all His Love

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Dragonfly,

Do you seriously expect me to sort through that mess of your last post (#351) ?

Hi Mungo,

I do.

I spent a very long time giving attention to your thoughts. I didn't realise the editing mode had slipped out (which I now know how to fix but, by the time I saw your reply it was too late) or I would have fixed it. I agree, it looks horrible. But, it's not illegible.

However, it's entirely up to you if you reply or not. :) Be my guest. :)

Nothing you have written about using intermediaries to reach God, is reflected by the teachings of Jesus Christ our Great Apostle and High Priest, nor by his apostles nor by the saints (the sanctified ones through the truth of His word - iow all who through faith have truly had their spirits and souls cleansed in His blood), nor by the experience which I and my brethren in Christ have in this day and age.

The question you need to answer for the sake of your own soul is, if praying to unknown entities - which is the risk you are taking, since you don't know any of the 'Saints' personally, nor 'Mary' - is a safe spiritual practice?

The fact it has been promoted for centuries does not make it spiritually sound. The word of God teaches against, and, God clearly states He will cut off souls who intentionally yield themselves to spirits other than HImself.

Since is it possible to know Him personally, and He has invited His children to pray to Him personally, and, this was modeled for us by Jesus Christ His Son (who did not pray to Mary, His mother), all Catholics should re-examine scripture, and obey God only.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the [other] apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The fact it has been promoted for centuries does not make it spiritually sound. The word of God teaches against, and, God clearly states He will cut off souls who intentionally yield themselves to spirits other than HImself.

Why is it you keep making claims like this - that scripture teaches x and y but never give any scripture to prove your point?
IS it because you can't?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
What is in the Word and what is not.

What is not declared in God's Word is:
Saints are omnipresent (can hear everyone's prayers)
Mary is omnipresent (can hear everyone's prayers)
We abide in Mary
We abide in the Saints

What is declared:
God is omnipresent
Satan is not omnipresent
We are to abide in Jesus Christ
We are to worship Him only

If it is not declared in God's Word...do we have the authority to make it up?

It is a misguided thought to think that you cannot go straight to the One who "loves you and gave Himself for you".

Axehead

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Mungo,

In an earlier discussion, (possibly in this thread, possibly a different thread; I can't remember), it was ascertained by the participating Catholics that there is no Catholic doctrine which cannot be traced back to scripture.

That's why the absence of scripture to support praying to 'Mary' and 'Saints' suggests Catholics don't have to do either of these.

I will look out some of the verses I have in mind. :)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mungo,

In an earlier discussion, (possibly in this thread, possibly a different thread; I can't remember), it was ascertained by the participating Catholics that there is no Catholic doctrine which cannot be traced back to scripture.

That's why the absence of scripture to support praying to 'Mary' and 'Saints' suggests Catholics don't have to do either of these.

I will look out some of the verses I have in mind. :)

It wasn't I that said that, but see post #349.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Mungo,

I will deal with one paragraph from post #349.

believe Mary and the Saints are as alive and available to us as anyone still on this earth. We believe that those who have gone before us into heaven are one with us. They are all part of the one body of which Christ is the head. Christ does not have two bodies, one in heaven and one on earth.

Where does 'praying' to other members of the Church appear in scripture? Examples?

All your remarks about praying for one another are irrelevant, because those prayers are being made directly to our Father in heaven - according to His will - and, He answers those prayers directly and affirmatively.